Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:22:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Wasn't this an episode of southpark:

1) Apply for Yoga Class.
2) Be told you can't be in Yoga Class.
3) ???
4) PROFIT!

Only step 3 is "Sue their yoga pants off".
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:30:06 AM EDT
[#2]
So, it's not the facility's permanent policy to exclude whites.  How does this differ from the facility offering "women only" classes at certain times?

How would this be different from the facility renting their space for a Boy or Girl Scout yoga class?  These are exclusive organizations that often rent out facilities that are otherwise open to the public.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:35:57 AM EDT
[#3]
So they are intentionally trying to go out of business.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:07:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I have no problem with the class being offered.  I have no clue why someone who is not welcome would want to attend.  That said, it is probably against the law to prevent them from attending if they want to be dicks about it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:49:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
double standard much?
View Quote

It's their motto.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:51:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Probably illegal
View Quote

I absolutely love a counselors unwavering use of conditionals...  
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:54:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just like when Jay Z had his "no whites allowed" party, I give 0 fucks.  Any business should be able to do their business with the clientele of their choosing.

My only problem is with the hypocrisy of it.  If it was reversed, this would be a national outrage which would most likely result in them getting shut down.
View Quote

Exactly this.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:05:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Paging Crowder!!!!!

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:38:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Probably illegal

Unless this thread is billable, that's all you get, bub.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:42:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Fuck them.  They don't get to agitate for laws of the land and exempt themselves.  

Time to eat your own dog food, motherfuckers.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:50:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So, it's not the facility's permanent policy to exclude whites.  How does this differ from the facility offering "women only" classes at certain times?

How would this be different from the facility renting their space for a Boy or Girl Scout yoga class?  These are exclusive organizations that often rent out facilities that are otherwise open to the public.
View Quote

There can be legitimate benefits to having a class that focus's solely on techniques that would be more beneficial to women, especially in something like yoga, which you would be able to focus on womens' health.  Not to mention, there is the fact that some women feel more comfortable if they are not having to worry about being "looked at" in that way by horny men.  I don't see how that is in any way a valid comparison.  One is differentiating men vs. women, one is differentiating people who are the same in every way...except skin color, and telling people of a certain color they are not welcome.  

And as far as boy or girl scouts goes, that is nothing but an organization renting out a class or facility. Once again, not a valid comparison.

But like I said, it is their business, and their rules.  They should be able to tell any one they want not to bring them their business.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:51:00 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm ok with this, their business their rules.....

so long as it applies both ways......buttttt it doesn't ... so conflicted
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:35:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There can be legitimate benefits to having a class that focus's solely on techniques that would be more beneficial to women, especially in something like yoga, which you would be able to focus on womens' health.  Not to mention, there is the fact that some women feel more comfortable if they are not having to worry about being "looked at" in that way by horny men.  I don't see how that is in any way a valid comparison.  One is differentiating men vs. women, one is differentiating people who are the same in every way...except skin color, and telling people of a certain color they are not welcome.  

And as far as boy or girl scouts goes, that is nothing but an organization renting out a class or facility. Once again, not a valid comparison.

But like I said, it is their business, and their rules.  They should be able to tell any one they want not to bring them their business.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The instructor is likely renting out the use of the facility for this class, so I don't know if it is substantially different from the BSA example.

I don't know how it is perceived in the PNW, but around here, yoga is perceived as a 'white person thing', so offering a class specifically for blacks could be genuinely beneficial from the standpoint of both sign-up and to reduce possible anxiety during the class.  But, that said ... the organizer of this class just wants to be a cunt, trying to be as divisive as possible.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:47:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Im gonna create a safe space for white hetereo men
View Quote

It's called a "shooting range" in some places, other places call it a "cigar bar", but we Caucasian connoisseurs of conejo
do have some judgement free safe zones left.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:03:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Banana gotta banana.  Rainier Beach, like a lot of Seattle is slowly being gentrified.  the farther you go away from downtown the cheaper the houses are.  all the white folks that can't afford houses closer to DT are snapping them up and kicking the black folks out. that and the property taxes make a lot of people move. thisis what happened in the Central district.  

If i had extra money I owuld buy in RB.   its only gonna go up.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:11:17 PM EDT
[#16]
As a white trash redneck honky, I don't give two turds about reverse racism.
I almost encourage it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:40:06 PM EDT
[#17]
freedom of association, how does it work?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:53:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

freedom of association, how does it work?
View Quote
only in the favor of minorities, if it was an all white yoga studio they would get FUCKING HAMMERED.

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 8:23:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Just like when Jay Z had his "no whites allowed" party, I give 0 fucks.  Any business should be able to do their business with the clientele of their choosing.

My only problem is with the hypocrisy of it.  If it was reversed, this would be a national outrage which would most likely result in them getting shut down.
View Quote

Agreed
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 8:28:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Lol... Rainier Beach. Fucking shithole neighborhood.
View Quote

This.  How many white people live in RB?  

As Dean Wormer said:  zero point zero.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 8:58:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
A yoga studio in Seattle is accused of promoting racial discrimination by holding special sessions which explicitly    
exlcude "white people".      

Link

If it's illegal and considered racist for a white, straight business owner to deny service to a gay person or person of color, shouldn't the same be true for a yoga class that bars white people from attending?

KIRO Radio's Dori Monson thinks so.

Rainier Beach Yoga in Seattle has a class called "yoga for people of color." It started last week and runs once a month.

Teresa Wang, co-founder of the specialized class, said it was started by five queer people of color who came together to create a safe space for people of color who might otherwise be uncomfortable.

View Quote

Holy fuck! Just when I was thinking of taking up yoga.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:14:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Selective enforcement
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Probably illegal

Selective enforcement

"selective"... Remember the DOJ itself stated that voting rights legislation applies to blacks only.

It's not selective. The world is full of crazed self destructive leftists.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:15:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
big deal, there's gun shops that won't service muslims.
View Quote

Post them.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:18:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

"selective"... Remember the DOJ itself stated that voting rights legislation applies to blacks only.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Probably illegal

Selective enforcement

If anyone has a problem with this then they need to remember that the problem comes from the excessive behavior of southern whites from the 50s and 60s. The reason you can't have nice things today is because of the parents and grandparents of your southern white friends.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:21:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
http://www.seattlegymnastics.com/lakecity/sites/default/files/Teresa%20Wang%20small.png

I have full blown yellow fever and would not touch that.
View Quote

This is the picture from the website...

WINNER
EXCELLENT MARKETING AWARD 2015

http://rainierbeachyoga.com/about/
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:26:33 AM EDT
[#26]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
White person should try to take the class, get denied, file discrimination lawsuit, profit.

What's good for the goose etc etc etc.

I'm sure obummer would chime in w/ his support

Not protected class. No standing. No hypocrisy.

Go anyways. Bring friends. Refuse to leave.
http://thumbs.media.smithsonianmag.com//filer/ATM-Object-Greensboro-Woolworth-lunch-counter-631.jpg__800x600_q85_crop.jpg

whats the guy behind the counter thinking?"man these fools gonna get me fired"
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:37:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bakers that serve heterosexuals only?

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:41:25 AM EDT
[#28]
I am pissed about the places that offer yoga classes only for pregnant women. Obvious discrimination and ruining my chances to find a good yoga class just when I have a craving for one. Why hasn't GD been outraged about these pregnant yoga classes before?
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:51:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I am pissed about the places that offer yoga classes only for pregnant women. Obvious discrimination and ruining my chances to find a good yoga class just when I have a craving for one. Why hasn't GD been outraged about these pregnant yoga classes before?
View Quote

Sauce.  Goose.  Gander.

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:54:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Probably illegal
View Quote

nothing is illegal till someone decides to enforce the law making it so.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:56:46 AM EDT
[#31]
This is an outrage. The city needs to bus in white yoga folk. How are white people supposed to learn to stretch, if they can't do it next to a black person? White people have worked too hard, for too long, to allow themselves to be held back like this. NO YOGA, NO PEACE!

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:59:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This is an outrage. The city needs to bus in white yoga folk. How are white people supposed to learn to stretch, if they can't do it next to a black person? White people have worked too hard, for too long, to allow themselves to be held back like this. NO YOGA, NO PEACE!  
View Quote

I don'ts feel no ways tired.......

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 10:03:42 AM EDT
[#33]
This offends me so much.....I should loot every store in my neighborhood and burn the mofo down!

Oh wait I'm white.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 10:04:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

So I will have a class for conservatives/liberal only.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 10:11:17 AM EDT
[#35]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.seattlegymnastics.com/lakecity/sites/default/files/Teresa%20Wang%20small.png

So, they want to be in a place where they won't be with people like me.
And this is supposed to offend me.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 10:25:33 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm waiting for them to start designating an area for themselves on the back on the bus, so they don't have to move every time somebody gets on or off. God help us if Rosa loses a bearing at the the speed she is going to be turning.

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 11:29:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We live in a world where controversy and gossip sells, even bad news and gossip is good.  Look at the Kardashian's, they are wealthy because they are controversial.  Now they are in a self perpetuating money-feedback-loop.  They make money because they allow people to watch them live the "glamorous" life that letting people watch them supports.  It's absolutely insane if you think about it.  

There is no way in hell I'd have ever heard of Rainier Beach Yoga had it not been for her controversial marketing action.  Now with a little controversy she has people all over the country talking about her Yoga gig.  It's pretty brilliant really.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 3:19:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

We live in a world where controversy and gossip sells, even bad news and gossip is good.  Look at the Kardashian's, they are wealthy because they are controversial.  Now they are in a self perpetuating money-feedback-loop.  They make money because they allow people to watch them live the "glamorous" life that letting people watch them supports.  It's absolutely insane if you think about it.  

There is no way in hell I'd have ever heard of Rainier Beach Yoga had it not been for her controversial marketing action.  Now with a little controversy she has people all over the country talking about her Yoga gig.  It's pretty brilliant really.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Professional celebrities are still something I have not fully come to terms with.

They have no skills, millions of people simply pay them, to watch them be rich and famous.

I don't even know how the hell that happens. Human culture, knowledge and technology has changed so drastically over the course of a scant few millennia that sometimes our nature just can't cope with the world that surrounds us. You end up with with things like the Kardashians, that seem like they should not exist, but they do.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top