User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:07:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Uhhh... no.  

I have no C&R and every Garand, Carbine, 1903, and 1917 were mailed directly to me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Will anyone be able to order, or would one need the NRA/shooting course and club membership?

They would have the same requirements as M1 Garands. Plus transfer to an FFL I believe.

No transfer to an FFL need if you have a C&R on file with the CMP also.
Uhhh... no.  

I have no C&R and every Garand, Carbine, 1903, and 1917 were mailed directly to me.

I understand that and you are correct. Is assumed that the person I quoted might be thinking because it's a handgun it may have to go through a FFL which it won't.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:13:23 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I doubt it.  CMP goes to a lot of trouble to prevent that.  If insiders working for the CMP handpicking out the better items of anything, the shitstorm would be immense.  
I want one, though fear the CMP is going to overprice them.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Heard last week it was going to go through.

Buddy has a friend at CMP that is going to hand pick us a few guns

I doubt it.  CMP goes to a lot of trouble to prevent that.  If insiders working for the CMP handpicking out the better items of anything, the shitstorm would be immense.  
I want one, though fear the CMP is going to overprice them.  

Ok
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:18:42 AM EDT
[#3]
It is a shame, was just reading the text of this amendment, at some point the text was changed to only allow for 1911's. The old version in June I read would have basically allowed anything semi automatic. It also limits the transfer to 10,000 1911's which sounds like a lot but I don't think it will take the CMP more than a week to burn through that many if they have them priced reasonably.

Additionally there is a clause, that if I read it right, means that these will have to go through an FFL.

SEC. 1087. TRANSFER OF SURPLUS FIREARMS TO CORPORATION FOR THE PROMOTION OF RIFLE PRACTICE AND FIREARMS SAFETY.
(a) Authorization Of Transfer Of Surplus Firearms To Corporation For The Promotion Of Rifle Practice And Firearms Safety.—

(1) IN GENERAL.—Section 40728 of title 36, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following new subsection:

“(h) Authorized Transfers.— (1) Subject to paragraph (2), the Secretary may transfer to the corporation, in accordance with the procedure prescribed in this subchapter, surplus caliber .45 M1911/M1911A1 pistols and spare parts and related accessories for those pistols that, on the date of the enactment of this subsection, are under the control of the Secretary and are surplus to the requirements of the Department of the Army, and such material as may be recovered by the Secretary pursuant to section 40728A(a) of this title. The Secretary shall determine a reasonable schedule for the transfer of such surplus pistols.

“(2) The Secretary may not transfer more than 10,000 surplus caliber .45 M1911/M1911A1 pistols to the corporation during any year and may only transfer such pistols as long as pistols described in paragraph (1) remain available for transfer.”.

(2) TECHNICAL AND CONFORMING AMENDMENTS.—Such title is further amended—

(A) in section 40728A—

(i) by striking “rifles” each place it appears and inserting “surplus firearms”; and

(ii) in subsection (a), by striking “section 40731(a)” and inserting “section 40732(a)”;

(B) in section 40729(a)—

(i) in paragraph (1), by striking “section 40728(a)” and inserting “subsections (a) and (h) of section 40728”;

(ii) in paragraph (2), by striking “40728(a)” and inserting “subsections (a) and (h) of section 40728”; and

(iii) in paragraph (4), by inserting “and caliber .45 M1911/M1911A1 surplus pistols” after “caliber .30 and caliber .22 rimfire rifles”;

(C) in section 40732—

(i) by striking “caliber .22 rimfire and caliber .30 surplus rifles” both places it appears and inserting “surplus caliber .22 rimfire rifles, caliber .30 surplus rifles, and caliber .45 M1911/M1911A1 surplus pistols”; and

(ii) in subsection (b), by striking “is over 18 years of age” and inserting “is legally of age”; and

(D) in section 40733—

(i) by striking “Section 922(a)(1)-(3) and (5)” and inserting “(a) In General.—Except as provided in subsection (b), section 922(a)(1)-(3) and (5)”; and

(ii) by adding at the end the following new subsection:

“(b) Exception.—With respect to firearms other than caliber .22 rimfire and caliber .30 rifles, the corporation shall obtain a license as a dealer in firearms and abide by all requirements imposed on persons licensed under chapter 44 of title 18, including maintaining acquisition and disposition records, and conducting background checks.”.

(b) Pilot Program.—

(1) ONE-YEAR AUTHORITY.—The Secretary of the Army may carry out a one-year pilot program under which the Secretary may transfer to the Corporation for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and Firearms Safety not more than 10,000 firearms described in paragraph (2).

(2) FIREARMS DESCRIBED.—The firearms described in this paragraph are surplus caliber .45 M1911/M1911A1 pistols and spare parts and related accessories for those pistols that, on the date of the enactment of this section, are under the control of the Secretary and are surplus to the requirements of the Department of the Army.

(3) TRANSFER REQUIREMENTS.—Transfers of surplus caliber .45 M1911/M1911A1 pistols from the Army to the Corporation under the pilot program shall be made in accordance with subchapter II of chapter 407 of title 36, United States Code.

(4) REPORTS TO CONGRESS.—

(A) INTERIM REPORT.—Not later than 90 days after the Secretary initiates the pilot program under this subsection, the Secretary shall submit to Congress an interim report on the pilot program.

(B) FINAL REPORT.—Not later than 15 days after the Secretary completes the pilot program under this subsection, the Secretary shall submit to Congress a final report on the pilot program.

(C) CONTENTS OF REPORT.—Each report required by this subsection shall include, for the period covered by the report—

(i) the number of firearms described in subsection (a)(2) transferred under the pilot program; and

(ii) information on any crimes committed using firearms transferred under the pilot program.

(c) Limitation On Transfer Of Surplus Caliber .45 M1911/M1911A1 Pistols.—The Secretary may not transfer firearms described in subsection (b)(2) under subchapter II of chapter 407 of title 36, United States Code, until the date that is 60 days after the date of the submittal of the final report required under subsection (b)(4)(B).
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:20:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Interesting, so only 10,000 per year. These will go fast and for stupid money.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:25:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh, yea.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:32:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Not gonna happen.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:32:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

How many Garands does the CMP sell in a year?

Either way, I'd like to see them limit these 1911s to one per person.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:32:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, but remember one just doesn't transfer government property, especially weapons, by just having a CMP truck drive up to a warehouse and shovel everything on. There's paperwork. Lots of it. And the guys doing the work have other jobs to do.

So 10,000 a year is probably a limit to ensure they get moved but don't overwhelm the system.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:14:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yeah, but remember one just doesn't transfer government property, especially weapons, by just having a CMP truck drive up to a warehouse and shovel everything on. There's paperwork. Lots of it. And the guys doing the work have other jobs to do.

So 10,000 a year is probably a limit to ensure they get moved but don't overwhelm the system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

way more than are coming in now which is none.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:19:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have to agree. At least at first.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:26:45 PM EDT
[#11]
It will be interesting to see the price points.

And I agree , one per person to start off with.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:41:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

So, let's say, just for the sake of argument, this bill passes.

Will the CMP send out an email announcing the sale or will we have to keep an eye on the site?

When they announced the last sale of International Harvester (was that right) I didn't get a notice, even though I am a CMP member.  I stumbled on it after the order deadline passed.

I know I'm asking for a guess....

View Quote

CMP puts out an Email newsletter.  Don't you get it?  Subscribe to it if not.  It SHOULD be in there.  I get them advertising sales all the time.  

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:54:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I would love to have one.
It was the greatest training pistol for me need one for the kids.
I still assume that every pistol I carry is single shot.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:59:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
i remember hearing in another thread (so take it with a grain of salt) the senate version of the bill gave the CMP authority to sell all types of military surplus pistols, not just 1911s but m9s and more.  anybody know which version is in the revised version of the bill?

eta: congress.gov's page for the bill hasn't been updated yet...
View Quote

I would be in for a mil-surp M9, pretty much just for the frame alone.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:10:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Rather have M-14s
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:14:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

CMP puts out an Email newsletter.  Don't you get it?  Subscribe to it in not.  Is SHOULD be in there.  I get them advertising sales all the time.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will the CMP send out an email announcing the sale or will we have to keep an eye on the site?

When they announced the last sale of International Harvester (was that right) I didn't get a notice, even though I am a CMP member.  I stumbled on it after the order deadline passed.

CMP puts out an Email newsletter.  Don't you get it?  Subscribe to it in not.  Is SHOULD be in there.  I get them advertising sales all the time.  

Are you having a stroke... or am I?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:16:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
i remember hearing in another thread (so take it with a grain of salt) the senate version of the bill gave the CMP authority to sell all types of military surplus pistols, not just 1911s but m9s and more.  anybody know which version is in the revised version of the bill?

eta: congress.gov's page for the bill hasn't been updated yet...

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/114/hr1735

Which is what I posted the text of above shows just 1911 verbiage.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:21:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Rather have M-14s
View Quote

Well, I'd rather have M1895s, but how about we be happy about what we might be getting?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:51:41 PM EDT
[#19]
if O vetos a 13% pay increase for active military it'll get really close to fo time.  

$612 billion bill, whose features include a 13% pay raise for service members, lethal assistance to Ukrainian forces against the Russian incursion, and money the President requested for Iraqi forces fighting the Islamic State.
View Quote
from the above link

Obama has said he wants a 1.3% pay raise for our troops next year
army times here

these are not the guys to piss off right now

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:57:34 PM EDT
[#20]
When will then, be now?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 3:00:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I know they are all most likely rattle trap pieces of shit, but I would FO so hard on a CMP 1911.
View Quote

Iirc, it's not limited to the 1911's with the way they worded it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 3:01:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Well shit, im going to have to renew my CMP membership now just in case. Been meaning to get some stuff anyways.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 3:02:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The 1911 I shot in the mil sounded like a box of rocks when you shook it. When bang every time though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know they are all most likely rattle trap pieces of shit, but I would FO so hard on a CMP 1911.

The 1911 I shot in the mil sounded like a box of rocks when you shook it. When bang every time though.

look far ones with an SA in a square mark these were rebuilt by Springfield armory in the 60s for military marksman teams.  they are suppose to be alot of them from what I've heard
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 3:03:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
When will then, be now?
View Quote

Soon.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 3:07:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Uhhh... no.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Will anyone be able to order, or would one need the NRA/shooting course and club membership?

They would have the same requirements as M1 Garands. Plus transfer to an FFL I believe.

Uhhh... no.  

That sentence is missing a comma and a verb.  Depending on where that comma is put, will completely change what it says.
eg.: No, transfer to an FFL is needed if you have a C&R on file with the CMP
OR
No transfer to an FFL is needed, if you have a C&R on file with the CMP.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 3:08:33 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

The Senate voted 73-26 to end debate on the bill and thwart a filibuster on Tuesday, with 21 Democrats breaking ranks to join the Republican majority. The Hill reports the lone Republican "nay” came from Senator Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY)

of Kentucky, while Senator Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) of Florida missed the vote.

Both of these Senators are currently running for President.

Shows to go you Rand Paul and Marco Rubio don't really give a shit about your 2nd rights.

View Quote

I don't expect anyone to search for my posts on those two clowns, so I'll sum up:

They're both liberal shape-shifting anti-American dirtwads.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 3:08:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Is Rand now a turd sandwich or a douche?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
       The Senate voted 73-26 to end debate on the bill and thwart a filibuster on Tuesday, with 21 Democrats breaking ranks to join the Republican majority. The Hill reports the lone Republican "nay” came from Senator Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY)

Shows to go you Rand Paul and Marco Rubio don't really give a shit about your 2nd rights.

Is Rand now a turd sandwich or a douche?

LOL

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 3:20:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

HAHAHA!!!
How the hell did that happen?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 3:21:02 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd walk around with a permanent boner if this thing got signed.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 3:24:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It is a shame, was just reading the text of this amendment, at some point the text was changed to only allow for 1911's. The old version in June I read would have basically allowed anything semi automatic. It also limits the transfer to 10,000 1911's which sounds like a lot but I don't think it will take the CMP more than a week to burn through that many if they have them priced reasonably.

Additionally there is a clause, that if I read it right, means that these will have to go through an FFL.

SEC. 1087. TRANSFER OF SURPLUS FIREARMS TO CORPORATION FOR THE PROMOTION OF RIFLE PRACTICE AND FIREARMS SAFETY.
(a) Authorization Of Transfer Of Surplus Firearms To Corporation For The Promotion Of Rifle Practice And Firearms Safety.—

(1) IN GENERAL.—Section 40728 of title 36, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following new subsection:

“(h) Authorized Transfers.— (1) Subject to paragraph (2), the Secretary may transfer to the corporation, in accordance with the procedure prescribed in this subchapter, surplus caliber .45 M1911/M1911A1 pistols and spare parts and related accessories for those pistols that, on the date of the enactment of this subsection, are under the control of the Secretary and are surplus to the requirements of the Department of the Army, and such material as may be recovered by the Secretary pursuant to section 40728A(a) of this title. The Secretary shall determine a reasonable schedule for the transfer of such surplus pistols.

(1) ONE-YEAR AUTHORITY.—The Secretary of the Army may carry out a one-year pilot program under which the Secretary may transfer to the Corporation for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and Firearms Safety not more than 10,000 firearms described in paragraph (2).

(2) FIREARMS DESCRIBED.—The firearms described in this paragraph are surplus caliber .45 M1911/M1911A1 pistols and spare parts and related accessories for those pistols that, on the date of the enactment of this section, are under the control of the Secretary and are surplus to the requirements of the Department of the Army.

(3) TRANSFER REQUIREMENTS.—Transfers of surplus caliber .45 M1911/M1911A1 pistols from the Army to the Corporation under the pilot program shall be made in accordance with subchapter II of chapter 407 of title 36, United States Code.

(4) REPORTS TO CONGRESS.—

(A) INTERIM REPORT.—Not later than 90 days after the Secretary initiates the pilot program under this subsection, the Secretary shall submit to Congress an interim report on the pilot program.

(B) FINAL REPORT.—Not later than 15 days after the Secretary completes the pilot program under this subsection, the Secretary shall submit to Congress a final report on the pilot program.

(C) CONTENTS OF REPORT.—Each report required by this subsection shall include, for the period covered by the report—

(i) the number of firearms described in subsection (a)(2) transferred under the pilot program; and

(ii) information on any crimes committed using firearms transferred under the pilot program.

(c) Limitation On Transfer Of Surplus Caliber .45 M1911/M1911A1 Pistols.—The Secretary may not transfer firearms described in subsection (b)(2) under subchapter II of chapter 407 of title 36, United States Code, until the date that is 60 days after the date of the submittal of the final report required under subsection (b)(4)(B).
View Quote

The word  "MAY" gets lots of use in the text.

Kinda like "The secretary of the treasury MAY reopen the registration process after the cutoff" for machine guns.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 3:29:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to mention that every single one would have to be inspected and graded.

How many staff/volunteers would be dedicated to that and how many could they process per day?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 3:30:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Soon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When will then, be now?

Soon.

how soon?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 3:35:34 PM EDT
[#33]
No way in hell he signs.  Especially not with all the Oregon politics still being played.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 3:44:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I don't expect anyone to search for my posts on those two clowns, so I'll sum up:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear Rand is a Glock guy.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 4:11:26 PM EDT
[#35]
This is going to be a while. If this doesn't get vetoed by the president (big if), then you have to wait for:
Big Army to collect and send to CMP.
CMP to inventory, grade, inspect, come up with a plan.
Chaos, probably exceeding what happened when they brought the M1 Carbines back in 2008. You'll have to get stuff postmarked the very first day, etc, etc. Anything not a Springer might well go to auction. 10,000 will go quickly even at $5-600 a pop, mostly because you are going to have a ton of buyers who don't realize these are beat to hell workhorses, not commercial Colts. Field grades should be priced around $250, rack around $325, and then anything exceeding that starts to be collectible, so there isn't really any accounting for the prices.

I'll definitely grab one, just to own a piece of history, but it will likely be a very painful endeavor. The interest for these has to be 20X what the interest in the M1 Carbines was, and those sold very quickly, at fairly high prices versus what new commercial models were going for at the time.

The parts will be very interesting though. I'd expect complete rebuild kits to be priced at a song.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 5:17:23 PM EDT
[#36]
I know it will never happen, but if I could find the one my Dad carried in Vietnam (turned in right before he came home) I'd pay thousands.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 5:19:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
This is going to be a while. If this doesn't get vetoed by the president (big if), then you have to wait for:
Big Army to collect and send to CMP.
CMP to inventory, grade, inspect, come up with a plan.
Chaos, probably exceeding what happened when they brought the M1 Carbines back in 2008. You'll have to get stuff postmarked the very first day, etc, etc. Anything not a Springer might well go to auction. 10,000 will go quickly even at $5-600 a pop, mostly because you are going to have a ton of buyers who don't realize these are beat to hell workhorses, not commercial Colts. Field grades should be priced around $250, rack around $325, and then anything exceeding that starts to be collectible, so there isn't really any accounting for the prices.

I'll definitely grab one, just to own a piece of history, but it will likely be a very painful endeavor. The interest for these has to be 20X what the interest in the M1 Carbines was, and those sold very quickly, at fairly high prices versus what new commercial models were going for at the time.

The parts will be very interesting though. I'd expect complete rebuild kits to be priced at a song.
View Quote

I am okay with waiting.  The CMP does good work.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 5:20:51 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I know it will never happen, but if I could find the one my Dad carried in Vietnam (turned in right before he came home) I'd pay thousands.
View Quote
Me too, but I don't have the s/n.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 5:32:45 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Well that will never happen.
View Quote
Promise to shit yourself if it does happen?

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 5:34:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Having not read the thread, let me just say, Obama will not sign it.

No way on earth.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 5:35:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a small part of a huge spending bill. To say it proves they're anti-gun is dishonest.

That's a typical trick pols use. Someone votes against a bill for a completely different reason, and he's attacked for being anti-gun or whatever.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:43:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Is it me, or does the language of the bill also limit the CMP 10K guns of any type, not just 1911's?

Also sounds like they want CMP to get a FFL?

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:09:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Is it me, or does the language of the bill also limit the CMP 10K guns of any type, not just 1911's?

Also sounds like they want CMP to get a FFL?

View Quote

No, we're good, it specifically limits the 10,000 to the guns described.

not more than 10,000 firearms described in paragraph (2).

Also, yes as I read it these will need to be transferred like any other firearm, unlike their .30 and .22 rifles. I believe that they already have an FFL though as they sell a lot of commercial rifles.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:17:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.

This falls into the category of "I know the Army is great at keeping records, even records they don't need.... and the Army is great at losing this, often whichever thing you at the time you need it most."

I figure the only way someone is finding one of these needles in the haystack is if they are high enough up the political or Pentagon food chain to assign it to an O-2 they don't like and tell them they'll never be promoted if they fail.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:29:56 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I'll shit myself if he signs that.
View Quote
I want to apologize now for hoping that you shit yourself

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:35:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

No way on earth.
View Quote

Passed by veto proof majority
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:38:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No way on earth.

I'm actually surprised.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:58:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
CMP should have kept their pie hole shut.  Should have left it to his people to catch it.  

"Gotta sign it to find out what's in it"
View Quote

This.  We need to start using some of the democrat's dirty tricks.  It's how they get shit done
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:16:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No way on earth.

Good.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:26:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I understand that and you are correct. Is assumed that the person I quoted might be thinking because it's a handgun it may have to go through a FFL which it won't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uhhh... no.  

The vast majority of people do not have a C&R and I would be very surprised if they will send a pistol to your door with just fulfilling the requirements that have sufficed for long guns.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top