BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:06:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My guess is it saves some weight.

Frankly it reminds me of a fancy PEPR mount.

IMO, they need a QD design or a more streamlined focus on weight like the Aero mounts.  

On the other hand, they have a DOD contract, so it's not like they need the civi sales.  Not to mention some people will buy it just because of the DOD contract.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So whats so special about the alloy they're using?

IMO, they need a QD design or a more streamlined focus on weight like the Aero mounts.  

On the other hand, they have a DOD contract, so it's not like they need the civi sales.  Not to mention some people will buy it just because of the DOD contract.

To me it looks like an updated KAC mount.

I like KAC mounts
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:06:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same thing they use on the space shuttle

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:20:36 AM EDT
[#3]

So, it's space shuttle door gunner approved.

Love me some G, but I don't see my LRT mounts going anywhere any time soon. Will be interesting to see what the rtz performance is like.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:32:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Maybe if I could find a receiver set and rail that matched that color.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:44:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Maybe if I could find a receiver set and rail that matched that color.
View Quote

Patriot brown seems to be a close match, depending on the DDC shade. Not my pic

And Krylon camo brown is close too, again, depending on the shade of DDC

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:48:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks neat. Needs more QD though.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:17:30 AM EDT
[#7]
How often do you guys really use QD?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:22:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote

This guy gets it...
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:22:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So what's with all of the people saying they will get rid of their LT104s when we don't have any details other than a pic?  This thing looks like it is probably going to be either the same weight or heavier and I doubt it will be any cheaper. It's also butt ugly.    
View Quote

I will buy everyone's LT104's. IM me when selling.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:23:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So what's with all of the people saying they will get rid of their LT104s when we don't have any details other than a pic?  This thing looks like it is probably going to be either the same weight or heavier and I doubt it will be any cheaper. It's also butt ugly.    
View Quote

you like the looks of Laroo?  i could make a mount out of legos that looks better
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:25:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

asking this question in GD?  You srs Clark?

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:28:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:28:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Yep, needs more QD.

Look, the majority of us are not.mil and not in a warzone, but it would be a nice thing to have in case the glass or the mount ever breaks.

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Looks good and top quality as usual with everything of theirs.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:32:59 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Yep, needs more QD.

Look, the majority of us are not.mil and not in a warzone, but it would be a nice thing to have in case the glass or the mount ever breaks.

View Quote

I use my QD levers all the time.  Only so much room in the safes and I would have to buy another safe if I kept all the optics mounted.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:42:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I use my QD levers all the time.  Only so much room in the safes and I would have to buy another safe if I kept all the optics mounted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep, needs more QD.

Yeah, theres all kinds of reasons to have QD.

I certainly do not think adding a QD line of those mounts will hurt Geissele but then again, i'm only an internet arm chair commando!
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:47:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:00:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I like KAC mounts
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like KAC mounts

You love KAC

All KAC
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:11:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I can't wait to see folded BUIS under non QD mounts. All those extra machine cuts add cost and machine time. But looks, hell yea! Salient Arms must have influenced this.
View Quote

Because Salient influenced their rails...

The SMRs are both aesthetically pleasing and solid as hell. It seems that "G" is aiming for both in this mount, while using a new material that is stronger and lighter than typical Al alloys.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:16:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:17:39 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

To each his own. But machine cuts for aesthetics add nothing but cost.
View Quote

Someone looking for a lightweight build will attest that the price is worth it

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:19:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:28:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

What if the machine cuts are there to reduce weight and aren't there for aesthetics?

Since this is for a DOD contract they had certain requirements that needed to be met.  If an aluminum/lithium alloy was used, I am assuming a weight was specified.  The cuts may have been made for met the weight requirements of the customer as well.  

Considering that Al-Li alloys are used by NASA for space purposes, I am speculating that this won't be priced at a point the average consumer can afford.  I'd be interested to see if the civilian, non-lithium alloy version includes these cuts.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:34:17 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

[want]
View Quote
[Need]

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:37:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This guy gets it...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This guy gets it...

you gotta have it when your clearing rooms and your nf-nxs goes down and you need to switch to da buis.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:37:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:43:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

you like the looks of Laroo?  i could make a mount out of legos that looks better
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well then, whip us up a sketch of your idea...

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:45:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Taupe?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The only thing I have ever disliked about Geissele is that god awful color.

Taupe?

They say taupe is very soothing.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:49:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

True. It very well could be for total weight. Is there a link to the DOD contract? I'm curious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What if the machine cuts are there to reduce weight and aren't there for aesthetics?

Since this is for a DOD contract they had certain requirements that needed to be met.  If an aluminum/lithium alloy was used, I am assuming a weight was specified.  The cuts may have been made for met the weight requirements of the customer as well.  

Considering that Al-Li alloys are used by NASA for space purposes, I am speculating that this won't be priced at a point the average consumer can afford.  I'd be interested to see if the civilian, non-lithium alloy version includes these cuts.

True. It very well could be for total weight. Is there a link to the DOD contract? I'm curious.

I tried searching FBO.gov but the only mention of this mount and a DOD customer was in the recoil article posted on the 2nd page.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:51:21 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I can't wait to see folded BUIS under non QD mounts. All those extra machine cuts add cost and machine time. But looks, hell yea! Salient Arms must have influenced this.
View Quote
non QD doesn't mean permanent

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:51:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:54:14 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's coming out in normal Al as well:

"While he wasn’t ready to offer pricing, he said his company will release two versions of the mounts in spring 2016. One will be a premium version made of advanced Aluminum Alloy 2099, and the other will be an as-yet-to-be-determined aluminum alloy; our guess is either 7075 or its stronger brother, 7055."

Read more: http://www.recoilweb.com/quiet-dod-geissele-project-revealed-super-precision-mount-74351.html#ixzz3o5QiS3Ey
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:55:14 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

How many guys are carrying tools to remove the optics?  IMO mixing BUIS with non-QD optic mounts is a poor choice.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:55:14 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm sure it's nice, but based on the color alone my next mount will be another LaRue.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:57:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Still waiting for a .308 rail system from them...  
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:58:16 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I'm sure it's nice, but based on the color alone my next mount will be another LaRue.
View Quote

On the flip side, my wife loves different colors on her rifles, so she would probably love one of these mounts.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:58:41 AM EDT
[#36]

It actually reminds me of a my armalite mount from 8-years ago.

Looks like this

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:06:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Group buy.
View Quote

+87
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:06:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Won't buy any mount with that stupid upraised chunk of metal in the middle that makes it near impossible to level with feeler gauges.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:22:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

How many guys are carrying tools to remove the optics?  IMO mixing BUIS with non-QD optic mounts is a poor choice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MRDS as backup. Screw irons, what is this? Korea?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:25:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:30:06 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Won't buy any mount with that stupid upraised chunk of metal in the middle that makes it near impossible to level with feeler gauges.

View Quote

You can eye a scope level easy and probably be a thin cunt-hair of a degree off and still retain proper windage and elevation adjustments at extreme long range...
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:32:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:54:00 PM EDT
[#43]
No doubt these will be some of the finest fixed mounts in the land....how much wt. are we talkin' ?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:10:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

What if your OCD won't allow that
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can eye a scope level easy and probably be a thin cunt-hair of a degree off and still retain proper windage and elevation adjustments at extreme long range...

Just tilt your rifle until it's level......duh
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:22:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't....
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 4:23:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What emotions does this picture conjure?

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 4:31:11 PM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/radionicist/Garand/garandrack.jpg

They belong in the trash can. Wood and metal finish does not match. Sling swivels seem not to function correctly.

Not made in the US

No picadilly quad-mounts

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 4:32:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That picture is all sorts of screwed up.  Sling swivels going every which way.  Finishes don't match, could've at least arranged from best to worst finish.  Several different grades of wood on the stocks.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 4:35:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That picture is all sorts of screwed up.  Sling swivels going every which way.  Finishes don't match, could've at least arranged from best to worst finish.  Several different grades of wood on the stocks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know, I'm the same way
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 4:38:47 PM EDT
[#50]

That's what I was thinking. Lol.

If they make a 34mm version I'd be interested.  Running the Areo ultralight on a couple of builds right now,  but they don't offer a 34mm mount.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top