BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 2:37:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So, you hire people who are not intelligent enough to understand 80% of what you say (or so you claim) but you won't teach them how you use equipment if you don't have it very long, and on top of that if they fuck up and break your rules, you'll send them home without pay?    

WOW...  I'm amazed you're still in business,  does your state not have labor laws, or are you people you hire really too dumb to fry your ass?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll never hold a training class for a tele handler that we are using for 2 hours either. It's just not feasible.

I'm also not a guy to lecture people. I go over with them during our morning meeting what I expect. When I see someone break the rule I send them home for the day with no pay. Nothing else seems to work. They may not understand 80% of the words I say but they understand not getting a check.
So, you hire people who are not intelligent enough to understand 80% of what you say (or so you claim) but you won't teach them how you use equipment if you don't have it very long, and on top of that if they fuck up and break your rules, you'll send them home without pay?    

WOW...  I'm amazed you're still in business,  does your state not have labor laws, or are you people you hire really too dumb to fry your ass?

Fry his ass? Gives reaching for straws a whole new meaning bud.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 2:38:40 PM EDT
[#2]
My little sister ended up in an ER because a dumbass undergrad decided to mix chemicals they shouldn't have outside a hood. When they called over my sister because it didn't look right she grabbed the beaker and threw it under a hood but still got a lung full.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 2:41:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll never hold a training class for a tele handler that we are using for 2 hours either. It's just not feasible.

I'm also not a guy to lecture people. I go over with them during our morning meeting what I expect. When I see someone break the rule I send them home for the day with no pay. Nothing else seems to work. They may not understand 80% of the words I say but they understand not getting a check.

I pay them for what they did but they lose out on the rest of the day and i dont let them make it up.

I never would have believed it. I ran 2 of our stores in texas and had some pretty sharp guys. Up here, its pretty tough. People are simple minded and never left this 1000 person town. Labor is the biggest issue we face. I have 2 really great guys, the rest are mediocre.

One of my guys that is a good example, has done this work for 20 years, lived here and has papers. He cant understand hardly anything i say. Maybe 10 percent.

My competitors and my customers would hire him in a second. Several have tried. In my stores in texas i would have probably let him go.

A lot of managers in this industry can barely read,  literally read less than a 5th grader.

Its unique and hard to fathom if you don't live it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 2:43:13 PM EDT
[#4]
We had a gantry crane that was about 10' tall. The legs on each side of the I-beam were pinned in vice being bolted. We would pick up pieces of electronics that were about 300 pounds from a height of about 6 foot. My guys were moving the crane with an asset on the hook and one side got close to an interior rib of the steel building. That rib pulled a pin out just a slick as could be. The I-beam was at least 15 foot if not 20. The newly-unpinned leg of the crane was now under mechanical advantage of the weight of the I-beam and lifted asset because there were two on each side and they were connected midway down the leg. This leg swung in the vicinity of a young Sailor's face. He had slight scraping along his cheek. Luckiest fucking thing I've ever seen. Took awhile for him to quit shaking.

We got an upgraded crane pretty damn quick.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 2:54:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I pulled out a staple from a packet of papers and took a slight cut from a very sharp sheet to my index finger.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:05:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:15:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:24:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I pay them for what they did but they lose out on the rest of the day and i dont let them make it up.

I never would have believed it. I ran 2 of our stores in texas and had some pretty sharp guys. Up here, its pretty tough. People are simple minded and never left this 1000 person town. Labor is the biggest issue we face. I have 2 really great guys, the rest are mediocre.

One of my guys that is a good example, has done this work for 20 years, lived here and has papers. He cant understand hardly anything i say. Maybe 10 percent.

My competitors and my customers would hire him in a second. Several have tried. In my stores in texas i would have probably let him go.

A lot of managers in this industry can barely read,  literally read less than a 5th grader.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

snip

Fair enough!  I guess I can understand that, growing up in Seattle then moving to Louisiana to work offshore sounds pretty similar. In your case... it sounds like that to an extreme.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:24:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:44:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Tales from the tree industry. I could fill a book.

Had a guy take the rakers down on his 066 so it would cut faster. He later tried to bore cut a notch and had the saw kick back so hard it broke his wrist. Same guy tried using a 441 on his first day back and ended up cutting off most of his arm. He still does tree work.

Watched a guy cut himself out of a tree from about 40 feet up. Hit every branch on the way down with a 200 running wide open in his hand. He to took a smoke break and got right back to hit. He still does tree work.

Saw a ground guy rip all the skin off his hand. Like it came off like a glove. He was roping and he had wrapped the rope around his wrist. Both he and the climber underestimated how much the log weighed.

Another climber I know and was friends with cut his jugular open with an 020 on a side job. Bled to death 70 foot up a tree. Had a wife and three kids, no insurance.

I got knocked out by a log while in a tree, have had the top of a storm damaged tree come down and miss me by inches, and have had trees I'm climbing fall out from under me.

So far my favorite was hanging off the ball of a crane about 140 foot up and seeing that the retaining pin in the shackle holding my climb line wasn't... there.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 4:07:03 PM EDT
[#11]
we had guys walking across a taped off area under the steel workers, who were like 50 or 60 feet up. one of the steel workers cut off a tab (about 1/2 - 3/4" thick, 2" or so by 3" or so) and let it do what it does: fall to the floor. Hit a guy taking the shortcut on the side of his brain bucket. his worst injuries were from the molten steel gobs flying off and him falling on top of them. fucking lucky it didn't hit him on the shoulder.

we had an old dude cutting open bags of foam backing for STO with a razor knife. He would hold the bag up in the air and pull the razor across the top of the bag. slipped and cut his arm open from the wrist to elbow. it was like a waterfall of blood. one of the guys near him wrapped his arm together with fiberglass tape.

I wasn't working on site, but I worked at the hospital where this happened. One of the plant guys was working overhead in the ceiling and either did the same thing as the guy above with a razor knife, or dropped a sheet of steel and it slid down his neck. he grabbed his neck, stepped down the ladder, and was in ER. Easy admit.

One place where I worked had a hot exhaust from a blower tower - railings all around it. railings were off while a re-roof was going on, guy walked in front when it was on, got burned pretty well.

Same place, guy thought a painted-over skylight was as sturdy as the roof, fell about 15 feet until he (luckily) hit the top of the rack.

Sometimes I think I miss working in the trades, then I think of this shit, and I don't. Friend was on a site where a contractor was dicking around under a running dump truck, someone hopped in threw that shit in reverse. dead.com, flat as a pancake.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 4:16:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Glade "I" personally have never been almost killed.

I was a young construction inspector and there were a couple of guys down in a hole that was way to deep to not have any shoring.  I yelled at them and told them to get out of the hole.  As soon as they were ground level, one whole side of the ditch fell in.

Did not witness but there was a contract driver delivering some liquid food waste of some sort (looked and smelled like shit, actually smelled worse).  The way they offloaded was to pressurize the tanker and let the juices flow.  This poor guy was standing at the rear of the truck when the rear hatch blew off and hit him in the face then covered him with all the goo.  Official autopsy said it was the blunt force that killed him.  This made me feel a little better than if he had just been knocked out and drowned in the stuff.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 4:25:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I was one of two shop hands in a machine shop. The other guy was worthless, always on his phone even when he was driving forklifts or running machines. He was twice my age and had been there longer, I couldn't say anything that he would hear.

We had used a large forklift to pull a sign and it's two posts out of the ground vertically. The lift, a rough surface type with the large offroad front tires, with a mast that telescope vertically in three sections, was fully raised by the time we had the posts out of the ground. Our discussed plan had been to lay the sign down once we had pulled it out, cut it up, and dump the parts in the rolloff. The other shop hand just jumped in the lift, and took off with the sign dangling from the forks and the whole thing jostling back and forth, 30' up in the air at the top of the lift assembly, with his phone out texting as soon as he was on the road.

I started yelling for him to stop and ran after him, but he couldn't hear me or wouldn't respond. There were powerlines draped across the road, and I could see he was going to hit them. Once I figured out he wasn't going to stop, I turned around and ran my ass off the other way. When I stopped, I saw him driving along, with the powerlines being dragged along the top of the fork lift mast. He was bouncing so much that the lines began bouncing, and luckily the mast was tilted back enough that with every bounce, the line jumped another foot, and jumped up and over the mast before they were ripped out of their poles.

I walked back to the shop and was calm enough to talk to him by the time I found him in the break room. He said I was full of it when I told him what had happened, and nothing came of the report I filed (the only one I ever filed )

He was arrested, right off of his lathe, a few months after I left for B&E .

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 4:27:13 PM EDT
[#14]
none from where I work, but many recoveries.  All fatal in my line of work.

A few memorable ones, Guy mixing hot liquid chocolate in a large mixer.  He leaned over it and fell in.  He was dragged under.  By the time the coroner authorized the removal, the chocolate had hardened. This was a difficult recovery, and I only had 2 or 3 years experience at the time.

Another incident on a dry mixer, a prison work release crew was hired for labor.  One was cleaning the inside of a mixer without a lockout tag.  One of his buddies wanted to scare him a bit so he turned on the machine.  I assume he was properly scared.

Several people backed over with cement trucks.

Several people electrocuted / or electric burns.

One person crushed by a track crane.

One person wound up in a winch.  Not a little winch. - talk about a tough recovery, almost as bad as the chocolate case.

airplane instructor instructing a trainee, while standing on the wing of a small single engine plane.  A gust of wind caught the unlatched door and it hit the instructor in the back, pitching him forward in to the running propeller.

Several people shot at work, none of those were accidents however.

Two people in a few months killed when their tractors flipped with them inside.

A man running a brush cutter on a bobcat, cut a small tree and it came out from the cutter and flew straight like a spear through the safety mesh and speared the operator to the seat.  ( unlike most of these incidents, this guy did nothing wrong, it was just an unlucky accident)

A drunk running a chainsaw, it kicked back and cracked open his skull.  We believe he tried to get assistance, but died before he found anyone to help him.  

A bunch more I do not remember.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 4:27:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Flicked a parallel out of a lathe chuck and missed my dinger by about 2".  

In the same room as a guy that left the drawbar wrench on the drawbar when he turned on the mill.

Misread the vernier on the surface grinder and slung a dressing stone/mount off the mag chuck.

Machine shops be fun!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 4:30:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Not sure if this qualifies for a workplace accident, but here goes.

During my time with the 82nd in the early 90's, a Paratrooper was ripped in half when his reserve chute popped open and he failed to beat it out of the airplane. Our plane returned to Pope AFB, it was really sobering to when walking off the plane and seeing blood everywhere. Really made me re-think my decision to be a Paratrooper. I got drunk after that field exsersize, said fuck it and served out the rest of my first enlistment with the 82nd.

They found his top half stil attaced to the chute harness in Springlake NC some poor mans back yard and his legs were found a mile or so away from there a few days later.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 4:34:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Flicked a parallel out of a lathe chuck and missed my dinger by about 2".  

In the same room as a guy that left the drawbar wrench on the drawbar when he turned on the mill.

Misread the vernier on the surface grinder and slung a dressing stone/mount off the mag chuck.

View Quote

I've had all of those things happen in my vicinity at some point.

One guy lost some teeth when a 1lb chunk of steel came off the grinder mag base, deflected off the guard and flew across the room.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 4:55:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Well, this guy Klaus joined us as a new forklift driver.  Nice enough guy, but let's just say due to some unfortunate lapses in safety procedures we ended up with some dismemberments (including a decapitation), and a couple guys getting speared by the forks.  We all learned a good lesson though, and the guy who lost both his hands ended up getting some kind of mechanical robot hands that enabled him to assemble simple parts.  That Klaus!!
View Quote
Fucking Klaus, lol!  That guy lost his head trying to drive that thing.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 5:43:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've worked in construction or manufacturing for over 30 years, and I can confirm that "common sense" is not as common as you think.

I'm seeing an uptick in the amount of small accidents in the manufacturing field, my best guess is that younger workers are not learning basic safety in shop class anymore.
View Quote

More and more schools don't even have shop, and even if they do, well... shop teachers are sometimes the ones with the most common sense out of all the faculty, but they're still teachers.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 6:48:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Oh. Shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't pour a ladle of molten aluminum on a fireant hill if that anthill is directly over a PEX natural gas line.

Oh. Shit.

That's what I said.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 7:00:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Near fatal:

I accidentally a whole line of WalMart carts once
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:46:00 PM EDT
[#22]
One of our sailors, who knew better, was straddling a shore power cable. (think about 4" in diameter and holding 3 conductors about an inch in diameter)   Some of the others gave it a good heave, it came up about 3 feet, his gonads were only about 2 feet above it.  The CDO and I were on the fantail and saw him collapse.  ring a ding a ding, ring a ding a ding, ring a ding a ding, away the Rescue and Assistance Team to the pier, Duty Corpsman provide.  ring a ding a ding etc etc.  So we ran up there, figuring and fearing the worst, we'd had a horrendous accident not all that long before, dropped a motor whaleboat off the ship on to a sailor on the pier.

The Chief Corpsman, came running back up the brow, "I think he's going to be OK."  about a minute later, back the other way, squirting a morphine syringe, "well we can change the inventory report."  

As things calmed down, I was the OOD, as Duty Ops took the quarterdeck during an in-port emergency.  Determined what had happened.  The CDO asked me to call his wife and let her know that he was on his way to Balboa Naval Hospital, and not to come to the ship for dinner.  We had a practice of letting the duty section bring their families to dinner on the ship, especially when we had been out for a while.  I don't trust any of his "friends to make the call."  to laughter.  So I called, and all of his buddies were volunteering to take care of anything he had planned to do, etc etc etc.  

"Did he get hurt badly?"  "Umm, no, but I'll let him explain."  "He may have to stay a few days."  (I didn't say he was going to be pushing his balls around in a wheelbarrow for a week.)  Let her get surprised.

Doubly good time, he didn't get hurt, and when a buddy takes a good crotch shot it's always good.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:27:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Bandsaws.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:46:59 PM EDT
[#24]
My dad recently retired from working in shipyards and one of the stories that sticks with me was the dumb broad who went on a smoke break, opened up a bottle of gas and sprayed herself down to cool off then lit her cigarette. It was oxyacetylene.  Whoosh!

A funny one was someone took a shit break and went into a porta-shitter to do his business, the wind gusted like crazy, blew over the shitter and sent it skidding down the pier on its side. Talk about a shitty day at work.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:58:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Took a 2.75" staple behind my right kneecap once. No lasting damage.

Kinda weak compared to what I'm reading here.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:01:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Well, this guy Klaus joined us as a new forklift driver.  Nice enough guy, but let's just say due to some unfortunate lapses in safety procedures we ended up with some dismemberments (including a decapitation), and a couple guys getting speared by the forks.  We all learned a good lesson though, and the guy who lost both his hands ended up getting some kind of mechanical robot hands that enabled him to assemble simple parts.  That Klaus!!
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:25:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Working in a customer substation, start inspecting the man lift. More than half of the bolts securing the basket to the knuckle were missing the heads. Redlined it.

Guy grinding a beveled end of 1-1/4" sch 40 pipe x 3' lg on a vertical belt sander. He had just changed the belt and hadn't secured the shield. He also wasn't holding the end of the pipe against the table. The belt grabbed the pipe, slammed it into the table, spun it around so the other end hit the lower, rubber belt roller, cartwheeling the pipe into his lower lip, chin and teeth. I followed his trail of blood to the bathroom.

Crater putting a nail into his kneecap with a framing nailed. Popped positive for coke. Wondered why he was so fucking fast.

I was training a new guy on an electro-plating process. One of the solutions was cyanide based. I removed my PPE and should have left the area. I guess I had a lot to say and raked my hand across a puddle of solution on the work bench. Got dizzy, light-headed, naseous, etc. All of the symptoms of mild cyanide exposure (and panic ). Scared the shit out of me.

Mexican ignored signs and training to not wear gloves while drilling. Was wearing leather gloves and reached up to clean the shavings off the bit while it was spinning...yeah the machine didn't even know it ripped the glove off and fucked his hand up good.

Was working on a lattice steel switch structure 20-30 feet up. Unhooked and stepped before rehooking...right into open space. I think I left finger grooves in the casting that I grabbed.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:25:52 AM EDT
[#28]
OP has very serious safety culture deficiencies.  They exist to this day.

Fuck!
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:29:53 AM EDT
[#29]
I was ~200 ft up an antenna tower and the wind blew a big blob of Scotchkote into my hair Worked in the oilfields during college - dangerous, but never saw/had anything bad happen.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:42:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Forgot about the time I was a coop in a coal-fired steam plant. I had a crew working on the seal of an 84" butterfly valve in a vertical pipe between a condenser and cooling tower. Since I was a coop, I couldn't sign onto a LOTO ticket so the outage manager was the signer. Well, either someone didn't check with him, or he forgot, but the valves in the cooling tower were released (higher than the valve we were in). Luckily, the guy on the disc was getting out of the manhole for a smoke break when we heard the water. We got a mess on the floor rather than in the pipe.

Same crew was working on a 16-24" check valve. Ops had drained the system and released it for work. Except they didn't. As they were removing the hinge pin, the pressure fired it out and into the guy's wrist. Luckily he was just sore. We got to watch tens of thousands of gallons of water drain from the line. Got into one of the electrical rooms and almost shut down the adjacent unit.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:32:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Full kegs weigh about 160 pounds. Had one fall from maybe 30 feet up, right above me. A fork truck cage saved me. This was tonight, as it so happens.
I've seen a lot of kegs fall before. As many as 50 or so at once, when the stacks impersonate dominos. I've always thought about how dangerous one falling on me would be. Now I know.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:37:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Turned my hard hat inside out, fractured my skull, and I had a compound fracture to my jaw (bone broke out in front of my ear).

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:51:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:I was training a new guy on an electro-plating process. One of the solutions was cyanide based. I removed my PPE and should have left the area. I guess I had a lot to say and raked my hand across a puddle of solution on the work bench. Got dizzy, light-headed, naseous, etc. All of the symptoms of mild cyanide exposure (and panic ). Scared the shit out of me.
View Quote

My stepmom's nephew died of accidental cyanide exposure at a nitrile plant Texas.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:59:45 AM EDT
[#34]
When I was a teen I had a job at the local grocery store. It was at the end of a truck delivery and most of us were hauling back stock and crushing boxes. The cardboard compactor was right next to the loading dock. Turns out the steel pole we used to operate the loading dock fell behind the compactor. One of the guys filled up the compactor, closed the cage, and hit GO. As it compacted it got wedged on the steel rod. This caused the whole thing to lean forward from the force. It then fell, missing the guy by about a foot who was walking away from the machine completely oblivious that it was about to come crashing down. That was a loud crash! Shook the whole store, knocked product off the shelves and scare the living hell out of everyone in the back room. I believe they had to get in some heavy machinery to put it back in place and doubled up on the mounting bolts.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:08:39 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm also not a guy to lecture people. I go over with them during our morning meeting what I expect. When I see someone break the rule I send them home for the day with no pay.

WOW...  I'm amazed you're still in business,  does your state not have labor laws, or are your people you hire really too dumb to fry your ass?

Read what he wrote, then compare it to most states labor laws. Then read further conversation between him and I where he states he pays for hours worked that day to the point they got sent home.

In every state I've worked in, that would be EASY pickings if the employee decided to pursue it.  So no, not grasping at straws at all.  In fact, if things happened EXACTLY as he initially wrote it, it would be a federal violation subject to the FLSA if the non paid hours were not paid by the next pay period.  Not paid at all? Yea could get hit with a $10k fine, up to 6 months in jail AND pay damages to the employee.

So, tell me how am I grasping at straw?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:33:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Spent a handful of years as a longshoreman.....

Seen in person -
-Containers dropped on occupied trucks and UTR's (yard tractors) fatal
-UTR's picked up and dropped from about 30' due to people failing to unlock the container from the trailer and the crane picks them up to move on the ship...  Fatal and non..
- containers crushed together with someone in between.. Fatal
- signalmen run over by top handlers and RTG's (6-8' tall rubber tires) fatal
- truck driver cut in half by is 13 year old son..(son backed truck under trailer while father was in between) fatal...
- container locking cone come off a can and fall about 90', striking a signalman in the hard hat... He was lucky, the hard hat deflected the blow from his head to his shoulder... Shoulder smashed beyond repair.. Non fatal.. (Cone weights around 8-15 pounds..)

And tons of others...
View Quote

Barbours Cut? Sure sounds like it. Somebody caught one of those locking cones the hard way this summer.

One late evening at City Docks a Richway Cartage truck came flying around one of the buildings expecting no cross traffic. When he saw me he slammed on the brakes and the chains on his cargo snapped. A big roll of steel started rolling up his trailer. No headache rack on trailer nor cab. I thought I was going to witness a dude get crushed, but the coil rolled off the front of the trailer at an angle and dropped next to the cab.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:34:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Friend from high school died at a job site when an I beam fell on his head.  They said he died instantly at least.  He was just working the job for the summer to pay for a europe trip before he finished his masters degree.

Got a job one summer when a cement mixer fell on another buddies foot and broke it.  He didnt have steel toed boots.  Was my first purchase when i took over for him
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 3:06:36 AM EDT
[#38]
I've witnessed;
-a guy fall 30' trying to walk a truss in, only to have the truss land on him. He died 3 days later.
-a guy back his concrete buggy into a street sweeper at full speed. Broke both tibias.
-a fall through a hole on a 30' roof. Luckily he landed on some high stacked rolls of paper...still messed him up
-a guy arc flash on a 1600A buss whilst attempting a hot tap...burnt the fuck up. I was about 15' from that one.
-a guy stab himself in the leg with a Rambo knife trying to open boxes.
-a guy pull out and get t-boned by a concrete truck...drt.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 4:46:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Just remembered the dumbest thing I've ever done- walked under the tail of a trackhoe without notifying the operator.  I could have easily become a crunchy.

Also had lots of fun swinging a piling hammer on that job, nearly broke both wrists.  Was pulling the hammer onto a pile against a dirt wall, wasnt aware of how close to the wall I was and had my arms pinched between the wall and the 18k hammer.  The hammer frame hit the pile just as I'd felt my elbows hit the wall.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 5:15:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Lots of dumbass comments here.

So far I have been fortunate never to witness a very bad accident or fatality at work.   I have worked in the steel/metals rollin business all my adult life.  Every year there are a few fatalities here in the USA, and lots of near misses.  The companies I have worked for have had a few on other sites.
More often than not the root cause are people taking short cuts in the job, or failing to be aware of where mobile equipment is running or cranes and suspended lifts are.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:52:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Read what he wrote, then compare it to most states labor laws. Then read further conversation between him and I where he states he pays for hours worked that day to the point they got sent home.    

In every state I've worked in, that would be EASY pickings if the employee decided to pursue it.  So no, not grasping at straws at all.  In fact, if things happened EXACTLY as he initially wrote it, it would be a federal violation subject to the FLSA if the non paid hours were not paid by the next pay period.  Not paid at all? Yea could get hit with a $10k fine, up to 6 months in jail AND pay damages to the employee.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm also not a guy to lecture people. I go over with them during our morning meeting what I expect. When I see someone break the rule I send them home for the day with no pay.

WOW...  I'm amazed you're still in business,  does your state not have labor laws, or are your people you hire really too dumb to fry your ass?

Well, allow me to explain. I guess it's grasping, not grabbing. My bad. Anyway, to say you are grasping for straws in this situation would mean to say that you are throwing the most unlikely comment or scenario out there and hoping it would stick. In other words, it would be very unlikely for an employer to send an employee home for the day and not pay him for the time he has already worked. Which he explained to you.

Thus the straw grab.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:17:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Lots of dumbass comments here.

So far I have been fortunate never to witness a very bad accident or fatality at work.   I have worked in the steel/metals rollin business all my adult life.  Every year there are a few fatalities here in the USA, and lots of near misses.  The companies I have worked for have had a few on other sites.
More often than not the root cause are people taking short cuts in the job, or failing to be aware of where mobile equipment is running or cranes and suspended lifts are.

View Quote

Same here. 14 years in heavy construction and thankfully, I have yet to have a lost time accident on any of my jobs.

Have had a lot of motorists get f'ed up driving through my jobs though (most recent was a drunk that crunched the fuck out of his truck on the counterweight on a crane).
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:09:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Same here. 14 years in heavy construction and thankfully, I have yet to have a lost time accident on any of my jobs.
View Quote

You got into it a decade after I got out. Things have clearly gotten better, and I'm glad to hear it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:22:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Guy was working on a refrigerated 48' trailer unit servicing the engine that keeps the trailer cold.

He forgot to turn the unit off as it was in standby mode and when it came on it took his index finger off.

We spent over an hour looking for his finger,never did find it.Guess it got turned into ground meat or somehing
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:33:20 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I started practicing better safety procedure before the telehandler incident. That's why that was the first time I wasn't standing under it trying to slide the forks over the second they were free.

So far it sounds like the guy that got hit was the guy that latched on the attachment but I'm not sure. My boss runs that crew so I wasn't there.

Keep in mind we are a small company in a rural area. "Training" on every piece of equipment isn't feasible in my mind as a lot of it is rented by the job and is never the same controls. Every job is different with different equipment. We might install led lights for a week, install a new 120hp chiller for 2 weeks, build a metal building for a month, do epoxy floor coatings the next week, then go install stationary feed mixers with 300hp electrical motors. That is all with the same employees.

We do electrical, plumbing, structural welding, sanitary welding, hydraulics, pneumatics, hvac, refrigeration, metal buildings, underground utilites, and concrete. That fact that we have to do everything leads to a lot of gaps in knowledge that I don't think are possible to ever close completely.

I'll never be the guy that does what the union techs do at the big plants but there is a place for some of those things.

For us, a training class is the operator of the hour jumps in, pushes every botton to see what they do and gets back to work.

The language barrier is the most dangerous thing I deal with by far.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is a fascinating story considering your perspective is that jobsite safety is overblown.  You've had a hand broken, suffered flash burns and partial blindness in one eye.  You almost caused a serious accident by incorrectly adjusting the forks, failed to tilt the rack properly, weren't properly trained on this piece of equipment, and gave incorrect instructions to another individual on how to do something neither of you were properly trained for.  Now you're starting to ease your viewpoint on safety and cracking down on safety by lecturing others?   Who was fault attributed to on the skid steer attachment?  I do like your comment though that a lot of people don't have good judgement.  Sorry to sound harsh or sarcastic, but I worked in a heavy QA/risk assessment environment and take safety as the most important thing on a job site.  I do appreciate your new change in attitude, so will your crew.

I started practicing better safety procedure before the telehandler incident. That's why that was the first time I wasn't standing under it trying to slide the forks over the second they were free.

So far it sounds like the guy that got hit was the guy that latched on the attachment but I'm not sure. My boss runs that crew so I wasn't there.

Keep in mind we are a small company in a rural area. "Training" on every piece of equipment isn't feasible in my mind as a lot of it is rented by the job and is never the same controls. Every job is different with different equipment. We might install led lights for a week, install a new 120hp chiller for 2 weeks, build a metal building for a month, do epoxy floor coatings the next week, then go install stationary feed mixers with 300hp electrical motors. That is all with the same employees.

We do electrical, plumbing, structural welding, sanitary welding, hydraulics, pneumatics, hvac, refrigeration, metal buildings, underground utilites, and concrete. That fact that we have to do everything leads to a lot of gaps in knowledge that I don't think are possible to ever close completely.

I'll never be the guy that does what the union techs do at the big plants but there is a place for some of those things.

For us, a training class is the operator of the hour jumps in, pushes every botton to see what they do and gets back to work.

The language barrier is the most dangerous thing I deal with by far.
God forbid if something happens, you'll change your mind. There is no price high enough to not be safe.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:56:39 PM EDT
[#46]
we had a mechanic drop a socket into the underground vault that holds the 4860v hot rails that power the big ship to shore container gantry cranes...

The vault is covered in a 1" steel plate.. The cranes have a cam arm that lifts the plate as it goes by in a secure cage...

This guy got out a big rock bar and pryed up one of the plates to get his socket.

Layed down in his stomach and reached down to grab it.... And that was the last time he had full use of that arm..

Big flash, lots of smoke and homie getting carted off to the burn unit...

We checked the power monitoring / conditioning computers after and there was a 300A ground fault spike...
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:57:57 PM EDT
[#47]
lotsa close calls in my line of work..tho some are just to get the job done

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:42:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Was working construction on a water treatment plant rennovation

We were cutting a hole through the main water pipe (about 12ft square). We were inside cutting through one of the walls with jack hammers

Some dumb ass city engineer dumped several pounds of chlorine in the pipe about 50 yards away from us right on schedule of the daily dump

Unfortunately, there was no water and three very nmble workers in the pipe

I still don't know how we all three made it through the man hole at the same time
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 3:09:45 AM EDT
[#49]

I have a jacket and t shirt with a cut by the neck. It was done by a steel cable the came apart after I gave my Dad an incorrect hand signal.

We where pulling old concrete fence post that had rebar in them. They where half rotted but the cable would cinch up as it crumbled and we could pull it out. We where using a small Cat high lift bulldozer.

The hook was on the back of the bucket and the post where just long enough that all the lift would not pull them free. So we would roll the bucket up. Well my Dad could not see how close the sharp bottom of the bucket was getting to the cable.

I gave the wrong signal to keep rolling the bucket up. Well this post was longer and still had a lot of tension on it. The cable touched the blade and strands started breaking. I jumped and heard it whistle by my head and neck.

My jacket had a cut so did the tshirt. I had a raised welt but was not bleeding. This was about 2 inches from my carotid artery. I just looked in the mirror and you can see a very faint line where the welt was.

I went home changed my shirt and jacket and underwear.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 3:22:40 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I worked at an auto parts warehouse for a summer gig during college.

This guy was operating a forklift, raised it to about 15' to retrieve a pallet full of brake rotors.

The pallet was wrapped but not enough. As he pulled the pallet off the rack, it bumped into something and became unstable.

Hundreds of brake rotors rained down on and around the forklift. The metal protective bars above the seat saved his life most likely.

It was very very loud.
View Quote
I think I got one of those rotors once it was more warped than the ones it replaced

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top