Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 5:17:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I called to,check on what Verizon could offer plan wise that would replace our family plan with 3-unlimited lines/2-regular lines with flip phones for parents. No savings really. But with new phone payment and the discount I could get 18 GB family plan for roughly the same plan I have now.

I got my invite to google FI. I may check it out, get one line to try before jumping ship. Some months I use 40-60 GB some months all lines may use 8-12GB. My phone speeds are better than the 25/3 Cable internet speeds for $59.99/month.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 5:32:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I called to,check on what Verizon could offer plan wise that would replace our family plan with 3-unlimited lines/2-regular lines with flip phones for parents. No savings really. But with new phone payment and the discount I could get 18 GB family plan for roughly the same plan I have now.

I got my invite to google FI. I may check it out, get one line to try before jumping ship. Some months I use 40-60 GB some months all lines may use 8-12GB. My phone speeds are better than the 25/3 Cable internet speeds for $59.99/month.
View Quote

Whats the Pros of FI? Its $20 a month unlimited talk and text and $10 for 1GB, $20 for 2?
I know it uses Wifi and can swap seemless but AT&T is about to roll out there Voice over Wifi that will do the same thing.
What am I missing?
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 5:38:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I pay $60 for a single line unlimited talk/text with 2gb. am I getting boned?
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 5:43:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Still have it and will take the $20 hike  considering that i average 14-20 gigs per month.  still a good deal
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 5:48:47 PM EDT
[#5]
What do all of you do here with your data? I have four phones tethered to 10GB data pool, and we rarely go over. At home we're always on wifi, and when we're not at home we just use it for maps, Google here and there and social media.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 5:53:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What do all of you do here with your data? I have four phones tethered to 10GB data pool, and we rarely go over. At home we're always on wifi, and when we're not at home we just use it for maps, Google here and there and social media.
View Quote

I use my phone tethered to my PC for internet.

I average around 50gb a month. More if a game comes out, like when Fallout 4 drops next month.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 5:55:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote

My home WiFi sucks dick so I never use it. Add that to arfcom surfing and the fact I don't use a tablet or computer really (sometimes chromebook if I have typing to do) I use about 15-20GB a month. About 10GB of that from Chrome(internet browsing). When you truly untether from WiFi and uncheck all those garbage "only load/update/refresh on WiFi" things in settings and apps, it adds up quick. On past phones where I was rooted and used my phone as a WiFi hotspot, its easy to hit 100GB just watching some Netflix on an Xbox.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 5:57:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Dammit i'm still on unlimited. >=[
View Quote

Yup
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 5:58:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
This only mine is under contract until 2017
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, just checked and my contract expires in December 2016.  If I can't figure out a way to get another contract with my current deal, I'll keep the plan, pay the higher price, and probably just do away with my separate home internet service and use the Verizon wireless for  my primary internet access.

You have an unlimited data plan that expires in 2016? How is that possible they ended like two years ago?

Yes.  I did a phone upgrade and kept using my old sim card.  So, 2 year contract renewed and the unlimited data is tied to the sim card I'm still using.  I had to cut it down to fit my new phone, but it still works.

Ah I know what you guys did. I wanted to do this or the Best Buy trick but I was too chicken. I know 99% of people succeeded but the couple that got boned made me hesitate.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 6:59:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Hmm. I hate my $200 phone bill.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 7:01:21 PM EDT
[#11]

I love Ting. You pay for exactly what you use, nothing more.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 7:54:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Who's network are they using?
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 7:57:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, just checked and my contract expires in December 2016.  If I can't figure out a way to get another contract with my current deal, I'll keep the plan, pay the higher price, and probably just do away with my separate home internet service and use the Verizon wireless for  my primary internet access.

You have an unlimited data plan that expires in 2016? How is that possible they ended like two years ago?

Yes.  I did a phone upgrade and kept using my old sim card.  So, 2 year contract renewed and the unlimited data is tied to the sim card I'm still using.  I had to cut it down to fit my new phone, but it still works.

i do mine a little differently. i have two smart phone lines with unlimited, and two flip phones on the account. i can transfer the upgrades from line to line. so if the smart phone line is out of contract and the flip phone isnt, i transfer those two lines. now my smart phone line is IN contract and the flip phone isnt. then i "upgrade" the flip phone line with a new phone. get the phone in and sell it for a profit. we have been buying our motorola phones outright for quite some time now.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 8:13:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

You can go to StraightTalk unlimited talk/text 5GB for $45 plus tax
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 8:18:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I average around 50gb a month. More if a game comes out, like when Fallout 4 drops next month.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't tethering outside of the TOS. I know there was talk of it when I had my iPhone jailbroke and using MyWi that you weren't supposed to be tethering unless you had a phone plan that allowed tethering.
I never got dinged for it but I didn't use it as my internet connection. I know some people posted that they got letters from AT&T
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 8:21:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

"Ting provides service in the United States using Sprint's CDMA, EV-DO3G, 4G WiMAX, and 4G LTE nationwide network. In March 2015, Ting announced support for GSM networks via the T-Mobile network."

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 8:23:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

No good having all that unlimited freedom when you can't get a signal on Sprint
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So this is Verizons way of saying "go to sprint, they are not only cheaper than us, but you actually get unlimited"

I had unlimited data with Sprint nut it was sooooo sloooow when I was able to actually get service.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 8:29:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

No. Only unlimited DATA plans.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 8:31:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

"Ting provides service in the United States using Sprint's CDMA, EV-DO3G, 4G WiMAX, and 4G LTE nationwide network. In March 2015, Ting announced support for GSM networks via the T-Mobile network."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh God, Sprint here might as well be telegraph.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 8:31:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I had unlimited data with Sprint nut it was sooooo sloooow when I was able to actually get service.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So this is Verizons way of saying "go to sprint, they are not only cheaper than us, but you actually get unlimited"

Exactly. I can drive to Sprint HQ about 25 miles from here and likely still not get good service.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 8:41:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I purchased an unlocked GSM phone (Moto G.) Service is fine for me. They have an interactive service coverage map for CDMA and GSM on their site.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:17:26 PM EDT
[#22]
I've been on the fence for a while. I might finally get off my ass and try it.

ETA: You can use a dual-sim card and run both networks.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:18:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This will either backfire on them stupendously or people will suck it up and take it.

I predict much outrage and then compliance because of the excellent service.
View Quote

They have been taking it for 10+ years.....
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:29:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have had sprint for years now.. I have the old unlimited plan they offered and pay $250 a month for 4 phones, 3 of which are smart phones..

You say sprint doesn't have the best network rite??? Well when I do roam (unlimited at no charge), I hop on Verizon's network..

So.......you were saying????

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 3:19:50 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
You run your house on 30 to 50GB/month? WITH streaming?

Damn. I can't remember when that last happened.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/tep0583/cm_zpscvcyuvn6.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Still on unlimited, with Mobile Hotspot.

I no longer use that phone as a phone, it is my dedicated internet device.  

Living in the country gives me few options for fast internet but the cell tower is a mile away.  Speeds are awesome and we stream everything.  Usually use 30 to 50g per months.  Bill will go from $108 to $128 per month.  I get a 25% discount through work.

Not everyone watches Netflix 24/7.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 3:59:11 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I guess all the users out there who put on their face when talking about how they've been able to keep unlimited data are about to take it in the shorts.  I'm surprised Verizon didn't do this earlier.  My wife had the first Verizon iPhone 4, but we couldn't transfer the unlimited data because that phone didn't have a SIM card because it was pre-4G.  Therefore, we had no way to transfer service to an off-contract phone.  Oh well.
View Quote
A friend gave me a 4G Droid Bionic to replace my old HTC Dinc 3G phone....

Verizon gave me a sim card & I kept my unlimited plan, too.......

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 5:25:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Living in the country gives me few options for fast internet but the cell tower is a mile away.  Speeds are awesome and we stream everything.  Usually use 30 to 50g per months.  Bill will go from $108 to $128 per month.  I get a 25% discount through work.

What the fuck do you do to use that much bandwidth??
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 5:29:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Verizon blows. I had them and worked. That being said I have t moblies grandfathered truly unlimited plan.

#teamspeak
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 5:42:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Do you think $10/gig is a fair price?  Because I don't.  No reason for an LTA network to get bogged down unless you're in a densely populated area with few towers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Way to shaft loyal customers who've been around for a while when the data plans started for smart phones.

I only save $5 if I go down to the 3gb range and typically used 3~5gb monthly, pretty pointless.

And how much data did those first smart phones use?

Now phones are basically computers. A few people hogging bandwidth keep everyone else from enjoying what they too are paying for. If everyone paid for what they used - the problem goes away.

Do you think $10/gig is a fair price?  Because I don't.  No reason for an LTA network to get bogged down unless you're in a densely populated area with few towers.

As the administrator of an LTE network I'm going to have to disagree with you on that.  LTE technology doesn't work well with constant load on multiple cells.  It's designed for short bursts of high speed traffic.  Constant load on multiple sectors (like pretty much everybody using Netflix and Hulu) really effects overall system throughput.

We still run uncapped, but it will change.  Just not enough spectrum to keep everyone happy.

Expect all carriers eventually to go to a metered solution especially with the new "broadband nutrality" rules.  Long term there really is no other option.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:44:46 AM EDT
[#30]
I got screwed out of unlimited data last time I upgraded, should have bought a phone outright.

I pay Verizon $95/month including my employers 15% discount, while on their cheapest plan of 450 minutes which I never even come close to using. I have to monitor my data usage so as not to go over each month because God knows what they would charge.

Does anyone here using Ting know about how much my bill would be given these usage numbers? This is an average month for me

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:02:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Depends.

How many texts do you actually send in a month, and how many hours are you actually on the phone? A lot of people love having "unlimited" talk and text (you never have to worry about it), but don't realize that they're often paying for minutes and texts ahead of time, that they'll never use. It's pure profit for the carriers - how many people actually yak on the phone all day, anymore?

My wife's October bill is currently sitting at $15. If she continues using it like she has been, it'll end up at about $26 (she pays for actual usage in tiers - no plan).

If he continues using her phone exactly as she has been, the October bill breakdown will work like this:

Device Charge: $6
50 Minutes talk: $3
128 Texts: $5
218MB Data: $12
Total: $26.

If she actually manages to use 2GB worth of data this month, the total bill will be $43.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:06:50 AM EDT
[#32]

That's what my wife uses, and it's fucking awesome.

Note: If you have Verizon, you're using a CDMA phone. Ting uses Sprint's network on the backend for CDMA devices. Ask around to see how great the service is in your area, before you switch (not that it matters much - it's not like you're locked into a contact).

GSM devices on Ting (like my Wife's iPhone that was ported away from AT&T) use T-Mobile's network, which happens to be excellent where I live. YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:16:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I got screwed out of unlimited data last time I upgraded, should have bought a phone outright.

I pay Verizon $95/month including my employers 15% discount, while on their cheapest plan of 450 minutes which I never even come close to using. I have to monitor my data usage so as not to go over each month because God knows what they would charge.

Does anyone here using Ting know about how much my bill would be given these usage numbers? This is an average month for me

<a href="http://s42.photobucket.com/user/Metzger888/media/F9F82AA2-8EA5-4AB0-BE55-D35BA79911BD.png.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e324/Metzger888/F9F82AA2-8EA5-4AB0-BE55-D35BA79911BD.png.jpeg</a>

View Quote

$103, rounding your data up to 6GB.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:24:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Isn't tethering outside of the TOS. I know there was talk of it when I had my iPhone jailbroke and using MyWi that you weren't supposed to be tethering unless you had a phone plan that allowed tethering.
I never got dinged for it but I didn't use it as my internet connection. I know some people posted that they got letters from AT&T
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I pay the tethering surcharge on one of my lines. It's expensive, but I consider it insurance to make sure I'm within the TOS.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:53:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
How many texts do you actually send in a month, and how many hours are you actually on the phone? A lot of people love having "unlimited" talk and text (you never have to worry about it), but don't realize that they're often paying for minutes and texts ahead of time, that they'll never use. It's pure profit for the carriers - how many people actually yak on the phone all day, anymore?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Data is the only reason I've stuck with Verizon. We seldom go over 400 min talk (usually under 300) but text like fiends. I have a death grip on the unlimited data even though combined we stay around 3GB. I just loathe paying $200/mo for two lines. And that's with a 19% discount.

Quoted:

Note: If you have Verizon, you're using a CDMA phone. Ting uses Sprint's network on the backend for CDMA devices. Ask around to see how great the service is in your area, before you switch (not that it matters much - it's not like you're locked into a contact).

GSM devices on Ting (like my Wife's iPhone that was ported away from AT&T) use T-Mobile's network, which happens to be excellent where I live. YMMV.

That's good to know. That's another vote for Ting.

I am concerned about Sprint, though. I had them years ago and dumped them because I'd lose calls driving down the interstate in town. Of course a lot has probably changed since then.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:05:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Data is the only reason I've stuck with Verizon. We seldom go over 400 min talk (usually under 300) but text like fiends. I have a death grip on the unlimited data even though combined we stay around 3GB. I just loathe paying $200/mo for two lines. And that's with a 19% discount.

I am concerned about Sprint, though. I had them years ago and dumped them because I'd lose calls driving down the interstate in town. Of course a lot has probably changed since then.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

If T-Mobile service is good in your area, you can just buy a GSM phone.

Like anything else, it's super location-specific. My phone is Verizon (work pays for it), and my wife actually has better service. But if we're road tripping (rare), my phone has a better chance of working reliably out in the middle of nowhere, between population centers.

Your two phones (assuming combined usage) would be :
Devices charge: $12
500 Minutes: $9
4,800 texts: $11 <-- You didn't define "texting like fiends", so I went nuts.
3GB Data: $44
Total: $76

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:31:32 AM EDT
[#37]
You're not far off on the texts. Before my buddy passed away I told him the two of us were like high-school girls with our texting. RIP Joe.

When I had TMobile my friends mocked me as I'd be the only one at the table w/o service. However, that's likely changed also.

I'm also in a quandary. I carry two phones now and the idea of letting work pay for my half is very appealing. The other side of me is screaming to keep work/personal separate, though. Right now I'm on ATT for work and it's ok. They just ordered me an iPhone 6. Not sure if it'll be ATT or Verizon since we have contracts with both.

I wasn't totally honest about Verizon. I've also stayed because they have the best network where I spend a lot of time and that's the hiking trails. I've been in the woods many times where I'm the only one with service. From a safety standpoint that's important. Especially when you're leading groups of people.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:45:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I wasn't totally honest about Verizon. I've also stayed because they have the best network where I spend a lot of time and that's the hiking trails. I've been in the woods many times where I'm the only one with service. From a safety standpoint that's important. Especially when you're leading groups of people.
View Quote

Slight thread detour, but I would also look into an Amatuer Radio license, honestly.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:12:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My data usage looks very similar.  It's not that hard, really.  I don't have cable boxes for Time Warner, their too damn expensive.  So I rent a cable card at $1-2 per month and bought Roku's for all the TV's.  The cable card sits in a box and all the TV's stream the Time warner Roku channel.    Much of that content is HD.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:42:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Great. I just bought a 6plus off contract a few months ago so I wouldn't have to do a new contract.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:03:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
My unlimited data plan with my 10% discount is less than $70.00 a month with T-Mobile.
View Quote

My T-Mobile unlimited plan is currently $100 for two phones, but when I tried to add a third line last week the option was no longer available. I wonder how long until my prices go up, since there is no contact at all with T-Mo. It's the only acceptable internet option in the country for me.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:04:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Whats the Pros of FI? Its $20 a month unlimited talk and text and $10 for 1GB, $20 for 2?
I know it uses Wifi and can swap seemless but AT&T is about to roll out there Voice over Wifi that will do the same thing.
What am I missing?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What am I missing?

Project Fi looks pretty damn interesting. I'm not a heavy user of my phone when it comes to talk time or data usage. I think I use less than 1GB per month on average. I'm frequently either at home or at work, where I have WiFi. When I rarely travel, I can use a little data tethering, but usually only a GB or two.

Fi looks damn interesting, and it'll work with the phone I want to get next (the 5X). I'd start with 1GB data, which would end up only costing me $30. Right now, I'm on AT&T on one of my friend's plans, because it's only $60 instead of the $90 I was paying before we teamed up.

I requested an invite. I may have to look into getting the 5X and get on Fi.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:10:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

it's still downloading, you just aren't retaining the data
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/tFBhIv7.jpg    

It's streaming, not downloading...

I used to stream more, but I am rarely home before 10 pm and the GF thinks toasters are too high tech for her so she never uses the set up.

it's still downloading, you just aren't retaining the data

Is wingdings the approved sarcasm font?  I don't have the updated memo for sarcasm font...
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:22:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Project Fi looks pretty damn interesting. I'm not a heavy user of my phone when it comes to talk time or data usage. I think I use less than 1GB per month on average. I'm frequently either at home or at work, where I have WiFi. When I rarely travel, I can use a little data tethering, but usually only a GB or two.

Fi looks damn interesting, and it'll work with the phone I want to get next (the 5X). I'd start with 1GB data, which would end up only costing me $30. Right now, I'm on AT&T on one of my friend's plans, because it's only $60 instead of the $90 I was paying before we teamed up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What am I missing?

I may look into it. It's at least another option.  Which carrier does it backbone on? Cell plans really need to come down when more and more people are buying phones out right.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:25:00 AM EDT
[#45]
The house always wins.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:25:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Thanks for pointing out pdanet, the new house had no internet options other than satellite. Anything I need to worry about using it with Sprint? Do you guys use the hide traffic option? Thanks
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:32:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:37:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Fucking Verizon, man

I already had to start paying an extra $20/mo to be able to keep my unlimited data 3 years ago when I got a new phone, before they closed the "add a line and then swap your new phone back over to your old line" loophole.

Guess it's finally time to bend over and kiss my unlimited data goodbye.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:55:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Slight thread detour, but I would also look into an Amatuer Radio license, honestly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a General class ham license. When I'm going somewhere expected to be outside cell coverage, I take a delorme inreach satellite SMS device to talk to Iridium satellites. 2m ham is frequently dead enough that I don't even expect anyone to be listening. Maybe the ability to hit an autopatch, but it doesn't make me feel ready to trust it in life safety in the hills.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:57:14 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Fucking Verizon, man

I already had to start paying an extra $20/mo to be able to keep my unlimited data 3 years ago when I got a new phone, before they closed the "add a line and then swap your new phone back over to your old line" loophole.

Guess it's finally time to bend over and kiss my unlimited data goodbye.
View Quote

If you haven't read the entire thread I recommend going back and finding my long ass post before your switch. A couple other people quoted it too.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top