Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:45:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You run your house on 30 to 50GB/month? WITH streaming?

Damn. I can't remember when that last happened.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/tep0583/cm_zpscvcyuvn6.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Still on unlimited, with Mobile Hotspot.

I no longer use that phone as a phone, it is my dedicated internet device.  

Living in the country gives me few options for fast internet but the cell tower is a mile away.  Speeds are awesome and we stream everything.  Usually use 30 to 50g per months.  Bill will go from $108 to $128 per month.  I get a 25% discount through work.

You run your house on 30 to 50GB/month? WITH streaming?

Damn. I can't remember when that last happened.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/tep0583/cm_zpscvcyuvn6.jpg

This. I'm at 124GB already this month.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:49:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
What I was implying is, a few years ago they changed their plans so that if you wanted a new phone with your unlimited plan you would have to pay for your phone in full instead of a contract plan for a price reduction.  That was the only way you could keep your unlimited with a new phone.  If you still have your old phone, by now that contract has ran out as it's been roughly 3~4 years since they did that.

In other words, unless I'm missing something, I don't see how anyone still has unlimited and also a contract plan.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's to stop them from saying effective X future date. Unlimited data will no longer be available. You have the choice of going to one of our other plans or losing your account.

No clue what legal terms there are in the cellular world

Breach of contract, class action lawsuits, and all that...

From what I understand, those who still have unlimited are grandfathered in via buying the phone in full price, not contract so technically they won't be breaching anything.

No the only portion of the contract that is not indefinite is the subsidized phone prices which went the way of the dinosaur a couple years ago as per the contract. Otherwise the contract is the contract and the service provided cannot be changed. When they tried to change something (throttling after a certain amount of data used) the FCC choke slammed them for violating contract law. The fine was to be somewhere in the hundreds of millions.

What I was implying is, a few years ago they changed their plans so that if you wanted a new phone with your unlimited plan you would have to pay for your phone in full instead of a contract plan for a price reduction.  That was the only way you could keep your unlimited with a new phone.  If you still have your old phone, by now that contract has ran out as it's been roughly 3~4 years since they did that.

In other words, unless I'm missing something, I don't see how anyone still has unlimited and also a contract plan.

While it's called a "Two Year Contract" its not exactly that. The portion of benefits that is limited to two years is the phone pricing, everything else is indefinite.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:51:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Throttling is a little different I would think. You're still providing the service, just not the service you signed up for.  Like I said I don't know but I'm surprised they don't have a legal way out to just drop all unlimited plans
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's to stop them from saying effective X future date. Unlimited data will no longer be available. You have the choice of going to one of our other plans or losing your account.

No clue what legal terms there are in the cellular world

Breach of contract, class action lawsuits, and all that...

From what I understand, those who still have unlimited are grandfathered in via buying the phone in full price, not contract so technically they won't be breaching anything.

No the only portion of the contract that is not indefinite is the subsidized phone prices which went the way of the dinosaur a couple years ago as per the contract. Otherwise the contract is the contract and the service provided cannot be changed. When they tried to change something (throttling after a certain amount of data used) the FCC choke slammed them for violating contract law. The fine was to be somewhere in the hundreds of millions.

Throttling is a little different I would think. You're still providing the service, just not the service you signed up for.  Like I said I don't know but I'm surprised they don't have a legal way out to just drop all unlimited plans

I think what it comes down to is something like if you signed up for a weekly garbage removal service and then they only came twice a year, contract is breached.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:55:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm taking a stand.

I will not give up my unlimited plan until EVERYONE can have an unlimited plan
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:58:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Even with the extra cost, I don't think there is a better option, unless you don't need that much data.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guess i will be losing my unlimited 3 phones with it.
i already have a $300 a month phone bill this will make it more than what i willing to pay.

Even with the extra cost, I don't think there is a better option, unless you don't need that much data.

I'm paying Verizon almost that much for two smart phones and two flip phones
I can't wait for the child support to end so I can kick the ex off the plan, and the older kid to get out of school so I can tell her she is on her own.
The younger one seems to be a luddite who's refused to carry her phone for years now or upgrade, so I may  be cancelling her line soon anyway
Why should I pay for something you absolutely refuse to use, even if its an old dumb phone.
I figure if there's a data surcharge for a smart phone of $30 a month per line that should cover any reasonable use of that phone
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 2:00:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Verizon sucks.

They have the best network but everything else about them sucks.

I went to Sprint years ago and haven't looked back.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 2:04:22 PM EDT
[#7]
damnit, oh well I really need to get a new phone my S3 crashes almost every day.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 2:12:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I can't wait for the child support to end so I can kick the ex off the plan, and the older kid to get out of school so I can tell her she is on her own.
The younger one seems to be a luddite who's refused to carry her phone for years now or upgrade, so I may  be cancelling her line soon anyway
Why should I pay for something you absolutely refuse to use, even if its an old dumb phone.
I figure if there's a data surcharge for a smart phone of $30 a month per line that should cover any reasonable use of that phone
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guess i will be losing my unlimited 3 phones with it.
i already have a $300 a month phone bill this will make it more than what i willing to pay.

Why are you still paying for the ex's line????
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 2:13:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I wondered why they sent me a txt message this morning saying I could get a free phone for being a long time customer.
View Quote

Funny, I just got the same one 2 minutes ago
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 2:19:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

damnit, oh well I really need to get a new phone my S3 crashes almost every day.
View Quote

Moto X or one of the new Nexus that came out last week.

Moto X is $399 off contract brand new, plus you customize it. Direct shipped to you. Also expect price to drop with Black Friday and holidays.

Nexus 5x is $379 off contract brand new shipped directly to you from Google. 6 CORE processor.

Nexus 6p is $499 same deal, 8 CORE processor.

ETA: What I'm saying is if you can afford it buy one of these instead of paying monthly though Verizon to pay off a phone like you have to now if you don't buy outright.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 2:29:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Moto X is $399 off contract brand new, plus you customize it. Direct shipped to you. Also expect price to drop with Black Friday and holidays.

Nexus 5x is $379 off contract brand new shipped directly to you from Google. 6 CORE processor.

ETA: What I'm saying is if you can afford it buy one of these instead of paying monthly though Verizon to pay off a phone like you have to now if you don't buy outright.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or use a credit card, Paypal, Amazon, etc. to get a low to 0% interest rate.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 2:44:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm on a contract at current price so I'm safe from price increases for now

...I think
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 2:45:41 PM EDT
[#13]
If only Verizon had customer service as decent as the network
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 2:52:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I will take my unlimited data to my grave with me
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 2:53:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

For those of you on Unlimited data and considering bailing PLEASE LISTEN.[/span]

View Quote

Yup....keeping mine

I dont use alot of data on my 2 unlimited lines....BUT I see myself doing so....

I get 20% off thru my employer....and Verizon is the BEST service in my AO hands down...

IF they were not expecting me to be using a ton of data in the future they would not be trying so hard t kick me off the plan.....  
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 2:55:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Pay for what you use or go clog up someone else's network.
View Quote

We are paying for what we use.....under our contract terms....sorry you are late to the party    
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 2:56:16 PM EDT
[#17]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wondered why they sent me a txt message this morning saying I could get a free phone for being a long time customer.

http://files.gamebanana.com/img/ico/sprays/itsatrap.jpg

yup
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 2:57:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Yeah, just checked and my contract expires in December 2016.  If I can't figure out a way to get another contract with my current deal, I'll keep the plan, pay the higher price, and probably just do away with my separate home internet service and use the Verizon wireless for  my primary internet access.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 2:59:47 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly even better, though the reason I addressed up front price was people here seem to bitch about the prospect of paying for a phone full price despite it being used all day long every day, yet they've got log cabins made out of unbuilt uppers.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:00:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I guess all the users out there who put on their face when talking about how they've been able to keep unlimited data are about to take it in the shorts.  I'm surprised Verizon didn't do this earlier.  My wife had the first Verizon iPhone 4, but we couldn't transfer the unlimited data because that phone didn't have a SIM card because it was pre-4G.  Therefore, we had no way to transfer service to an off-contract phone.  Oh well.
View Quote

I xfered from my Gen 1 droid to a sim phone no problem....they try all manner of lies to stop you
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:01:32 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Yeah, just checked and my contract expires in December 2016.  If I can't figure out a way to get another contract with my current deal, I'll keep the plan, pay the higher price, and probably just do away with my separate home internet service and use the Verizon wireless for  my primary internet access.
View Quote

You have an unlimited data plan that expires in 2016? How is that possible they ended like two years ago?
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:01:45 PM EDT
[#22]
I have unlimited data, part of me wants to leave this running overnight out of spite:

watch wget -O /dev/null http://ipv4.download.thinkbroadband.com/1GB.zip

linux guys will get it
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:02:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

it's month to month now
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:02:42 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I xfered from my Gen 1 droid to a sim phone no problem....they try all manner of lies to stop you
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess all the users out there who put on their face when talking about how they've been able to keep unlimited data are about to take it in the shorts.  I'm surprised Verizon didn't do this earlier.  My wife had the first Verizon iPhone 4, but we couldn't transfer the unlimited data because that phone didn't have a SIM card because it was pre-4G.  Therefore, we had no way to transfer service to an off-contract phone.  Oh well.

Yeah fenderCAB you were straight up lied to...so .
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:03:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Lol this is why I jumped to t-mobile.

Had version and was sick of them constantly changing the terms of our agreement if I kept unlimited data... that was 2 years ago...

Fuck them.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:03:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
... I'm surprised they don't have a legal way out to just drop all unlimited plans
View Quote

me too....but we can rest assured they've looked and continue to do so.... in the meantime they get some off by bullying and outright lying.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:04:06 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
We are paying for what we use.....under our contract terms....sorry you are late to the party    
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pay for what you use or go clog up someone else's network.

Liberal logic everywhere.. Always wanting what's "fair".
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:04:31 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Yup....keeping mine

I dont use alot of data on my 2 unlimited lines....BUT I see myself doing so....

I get 20% off thru my employer....and Verizon is the BEST service in my AO hands down...

IF they were not expecting me to be using a ton of data in the future they would not be trying so hard t kick me off the plan.....  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

For those of you on Unlimited data and considering bailing PLEASE LISTEN.[/span]

Yup....keeping mine

Exactly!
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:05:31 PM EDT
[#29]
These carriers keep bragging about higher and higher speeds. It's like a drag car. You can go really fast but only for a real short distance. I would be happy if they offered a truly unlimited plan but capped the throughput at like 6 Gb speed or something like that.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:06:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
There is some good and bad news unlimited data guys.

"Good" news- You will now be able to take advantage of Verizon's device payment program, meaning that you are not stuck with the only option of buying your device full price off contract as we were before.

Bad news: Unlike the attemtped speed throttling that resulted in the FCC ass raping Verizon, price changes are allowed in the contract you signed, so the FCC probably won't go to bat for us on this.

For those of you on Unlimited data and considering bailing PLEASE LISTEN.

We are moving into an age where every device we own uses data and needs a data connection- phones, watches, mobile computing, appliances, cars. In addition the sheer amount of data consumed by each device increases every year. CRT to VGA to HD to 4k. There is no going back. In this world and in this FUTURE truly UNLIMITED data is of undefinable value. It's like you bought into a fixed gasoline price when it was 50c a gallon. Verizon will trick or cajole many people into giving this away over the years, but keeping it is something truly invaluable and future proof.

There will come a time where current tiered data plans size and speed does not live up to consumer needs and as time goes on the infrastructure will support cheaper data, but that will take DECADES. Data is a commodity. Don't throw this unlimited resource away even if you don't take advantage of its full potential today. In 6 years when every mobile device has a 4k screen and streams full 4k (or higher) gigabytes will seem like megabytes.

View Quote

5G, when deployed, will crush 4G speeds and allow 1g/sec downloads.  It will also allow streaming tv over cell towers, among other things.  5G will likely put cable companies out of business.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:08:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

but are these verizon compatible phones?
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:09:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

5G, when deployed, will crush 4G speeds and allow 1g/sec downloads.  It will also allow streaming tv over cell towers, among other things.  5G will likely put cable companies out of business.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Good" news- You will now be able to take advantage of Verizon's device payment program, meaning that you are not stuck with the only option of buying your device full price off contract as we were before.

Bad news: Unlike the attemtped speed throttling that resulted in the FCC ass raping Verizon, price changes are allowed in the contract you signed, so the FCC probably won't go to bat for us on this.

We are moving into an age where every device we own uses data and needs a data connection- phones, watches, mobile computing, appliances, cars. In addition the sheer amount of data consumed by each device increases every year. CRT to VGA to HD to 4k. There is no going back. In this world and in this FUTURE truly UNLIMITED data is of undefinable value. It's like you bought into a fixed gasoline price when it was 50c a gallon. Verizon will trick or cajole many people into giving this away over the years, but keeping it is something truly invaluable and future proof.

There will come a time where current tiered data plans size and speed does not live up to consumer needs and as time goes on the infrastructure will support cheaper data, but that will take DECADES. Data is a commodity. Don't throw this unlimited resource away even if you don't take advantage of its full potential today. In 6 years when every mobile device has a 4k screen and streams full 4k (or higher) gigabytes will seem like megabytes.

Yea but so what? What good is it if costs a thousand dollars a month to actually utilize it?
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:13:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

I hope so....I hope it comes well before the flying car I was promised long ago....  
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:13:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The latest Nexus phones are supposed to support Verizon.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:14:44 PM EDT
[#35]
In response I will be canceling my home internet and using my phone as a wifi hotspot. I'll save money and increase my data usage on Verizon. Suck it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:16:19 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Every single one. The new business model is releasing the new phones with all radios (Verizon LTE, Atnt, ect) on the chip. There is no longer a carrier specific version. Moto has done this for a couple generations and now the new Nexus phones were released like that. They are selling them directly as well, further cutting out the cellular carriers. Also means you can switch carriers at will.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:18:26 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

In response I will be canceling my home internet and using my phone as a wifi hotspot. I'll save money and increase my data usage on Verizon. Suck it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:23:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here!

This increase sucks but it isn't that big of a deal. My plan is currently $104 for 1 unlimited smartphone and 1 feature phone sharing 500 min and like 1000 texts each line. So going up to $124 is still better than those sharing data plans.

But, I'm just worried how often these new price increases are going to happen now.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:33:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Fuck Verizon. My unlimited was permanently throttled to 1x, and cost $85 a month. Ting Wireless is much faster, same coverage in my area, and my average bill is $14 a month.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:39:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Meh. I'm not flinching at $50/mo.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:47:07 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Same here!

This increase sucks but it isn't that big of a deal. My plan is currently $104 for 1 unlimited smartphone and 1 feature phone sharing 500 min and like 1000 texts each line. So going up to $124 is still better than those sharing data plans.

But, I'm just worried how often these new price increases are going to happen now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Same here!

Here is what I'm thinking- If Verizon COULD change the price of the plan to $1000 or $10,000 a month they would have already done it to force everyone off overnight. There must be a reason they haven't, and there also must be a reason for the the price increase being only $20. Maby there was some negotiating that happened behind the scenes after the FCC stepped in over throttling.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 4:21:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have been with them since they were another company.

For the most part I have to agree. In my area their network is king. But lord help you if you have to call them.
Wife called CS to get some answers. They lady who answered was eating chips

But, I went to the local store and got hooked up. They took one look at my account and said, what can we do to make you happy!
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 4:23:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You have an unlimited data plan that expires in 2016? How is that possible they ended like two years ago?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.  I did a phone upgrade and kept using my old sim card.  So, 2 year contract renewed and the unlimited data is tied to the sim card I'm still using.  I had to cut it down to fit my new phone, but it still works.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 4:29:39 PM EDT
[#44]
How long before unlimited data is once again the standard?
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 4:30:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Here is what I'm thinking- If Verizon COULD change the price of the plan to $1000 or $10,000 a month they would have already done it to force everyone off overnight. There must be a reason they haven't, and there also must be a reason for the the price increase being only $20. Maby there was some negotiating that happened behind the scenes after the FCC stepped in over throttling.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here!

My guess is that there is still several hundred thousand or so people with unlimited data. If they royally screwed that many people in such a short period of time, those pissed customers would jump ship together.

It makes more sense to ween people off slowly, so they say it's not that big a deal and stay .
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 4:31:33 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

For the most part I have to agree. In my area their network is king. But lord help you if you have to call them.

But, I went to the local store and got hooked up. They took one look at my account and said, what can we do to make you happy!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I was a long time customer and went to several local stores. They looked at my account and offered me the same deal as a new customer off the street, in other words, jack shit.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 5:01:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yea but so what? What good is it if costs a thousand dollars a month to actually utilize it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.....What's the point of blazing fast speeds if it cost a mortgage payment to use them.  How are you going to stream bluray or 4k content on 10 gig a month?  

I'm averaging 400 gig per month streaming 3 rokus at home what's that going to cost over a tiered plan?  
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 5:05:25 PM EDT
[#48]

I'm going to gripe about both of my already arguably overpriced unlimited plans (because they were part of a subsidized phone purchase eons ago). Then, I'm going to start crunching numbers on data cost vs actual use. Then I'll just get really annoyed and give the vampires more money to keep the unobtainium data plans.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 5:15:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

This.....What's the point of blazing fast speeds if it cost a mortgage payment to use them.  How are you going to stream bluray or 4k content on 10 gig a month?  

I'm averaging 400 gig per month streaming 3 rokus at home what's that going to cost over a tiered plan?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, you can't even stream 720p with only 10 gig a month.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 5:15:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Yes.  I did a phone upgrade and kept using my old sim card.  So, 2 year contract renewed and the unlimited data is tied to the sim card I'm still using.  I had to cut it down to fit my new phone, but it still works.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This only mine is under contract until 2017
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top