Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2015 11:31:35 AM EDT
I've been allergic to dogs, cats and really anything else with fur (horses, rabbits) my whole life. When I was younger, my folks got us a bishon frise that didn't bother my allergies at all. Well, fast forward a few years and I decided to get one for my wife as a present. Went to a breeder, sat there playing with the puppies for about an hour and of course... Eyes start to swell up, nose running... Great, guess I'm allergic to those too now.

Here recently, wife has been making comments lamenting not being able to own a dog - she grew up always having one or two around. I'd love to have a dog, as I think my two sons (almost 4 and 10 months) would really benefit from it. My question is are there any folks here that are allergic to cats or dogs and own them anyway? What do you do to make it livable? I can't be miserable in my own home, and our house/yard isn't really set up for an outdoor dog. Would love input from someone living with these issues.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:36:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes.

I have two dogs and two cats, and I am allergic to three of them.
because of my job I am on the road half the month but when I come home I have to take anti-histamines immediately so that I can breath properly. Even then my breathing is sometime labored. I looking in to getting allergy shots as I don't think my animals are going away anytime soon. They're my wife's..sooo....yeah

Just another day in paradise

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:43:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Look into allergy immunotherapy. It can help reduce or even stop your reactions altogether.

More info
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:43:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been told allergy shots would really help, but the cost has ruled that option out for now. Thanks for the reply switch
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:44:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes I'm allergic to cats.  I still own cats, probably always will.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:46:38 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Same.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:50:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Same.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same.

So you're both allergic and just tough it out? Do you clean extra often, take OTC meds? If I go bury my face in a cat, I'll be flat out miserable in 10 minutes - I can't imagine coming home to that. I've got environmental allergies too, I've always felt I at least need to be able to come home and not feel like sneezing my face off.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:52:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I guess as a follow up question - anyone had any luck with any "hypoallergenic" animals? I know there's supposed to be a cat that's real expensive that's allergen free almost.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:55:35 AM EDT
[#8]
My Allergies manifest themselves as a runny nose(post nasal drip) that causes a chronic cough.  I take Antihistamines daily.  

I'm also allergic to many environmental things such as Mold, Dust mites, spores pollen on and on.  I don't think ditching the cats is really going to change anything.

I now have a house with no carpet and keep it buttoned up with a HEPA filter in the HVAC system.  I believe things are getting better as I'm usually coughing my ass off in the spring and fall.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:58:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I guess as a follow up question - anyone had any luck with any "hypoallergenic" animals? I know there's supposed to be a cat that's real expensive that's allergen free almost.
View Quote

I have a Bengal. I am allergic to some pets dander but I can bury my face in him and be just fine. No issues whatsoever.

Our dog, I am very allergic to. It causes issues because I really hate the dog being on the couch or our bed, when the wife always caves to the puppy eyes and wants to cuddle with it.

I have to wash my hands after petting the dog, because if I rub my face afterward it will ruin the day. If she licks my hand or arm I'll get itchy bumps.

It sucks, we have a pretty good supply of Benadryll and Alavert on hands at all times.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:00:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think you may mean one of those hairless cats?  If so I don't think it will help.  My understanding is it's not the hair that is the problem but the dander.  Not to mention they look like gargoyles...
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:00:53 PM EDT
[#11]
We've been thinking of going the hardwood route, and I've heard some good things about the whole house air filter systems. Looks like any way I cut it it's going to be a pretty decent monetary investment to get a pet in this house.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:01:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Same.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same.

We give ours a bath.
get them use to it as kittens.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:02:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We've been thinking of going the hardwood route, and I've heard some good things about the whole house air filter systems. Looks like any way I cut it it's going to be a pretty decent monetary investment to get a pet in this house.
View Quote

Any kind of solid floor.  Just get rid of the carpet.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:03:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Probably the Sphynx, or hairless, cat. Less shedding, plus less grooming = less saliva, which is a common allergen. They aren't the prettiest cats out there, but they might be ok for you. You could also look at an American Hairless Terrier, for the same reasons as the Sphynx. They're similar in size and temperament to a rat terrier.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:03:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I think you may mean one of those hairless cats?  If so I don't think it will help.  My understanding is it's not the hair that is the problem but the dander.  Not to mention they look like gargoyles...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen the hairless deals, but I was reading an article about cats that have been genetically modified so their saliva doesn't contain the protein that causes issues, but haven't heard any real world input about them - also haven't looked into it to deeply just because I've never been around cats, so as far as I know I'm not a cat person, lol. But I think if dogs get ruled out, a cat wouldn't be out of the question if it could be livable. I'd just really like my kids to have a pet they can love and cuddle, I think it's a good thing for em.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:06:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

We give ours a bath.

http://www.dumpaday.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/cat-taking-a-bath1.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same.

We give ours a bath.

Yes I have done that a few times.  It does help and allergies are the only reason bathing cats makes any sense.  Though if I were to bathe mine I'm sure the neighbors would call the authorities after hearing the cat torturing going on inside...
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:06:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I have a Bengal. I am allergic to some pets dander but I can bury my face in him and be just fine. No issues whatsoever.

Our dog, I am very allergic to. It causes issues because I really hate the dog being on the couch or our bed, when the wife always caves to the puppy eyes and wants to cuddle with it.

I have to wash my hands after petting the dog, because if I rub my face afterward it will ruin the day. If she licks my hand or arm I'll get itchy bumps.

It sucks, we have a pretty good supply of Benadryll and Alavert on hands at all times.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only allergy med I've found that works for me is actifed, so I get to sign the meth stuff at the pharmacy for it - it can help if I come in contact with a dog or cat, but it never really gets better until I shower and put on fresh clothes, etc.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:07:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yes I have done that a few times.  It does help and allergies are the only reason bathing cats makes any sense.  Though if I were to bathe mine I'm sure the neighbors would call the authorities after hearing the cat torturing going on inside...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same.

We give ours a bath.

Lol, as a person with no cat experience, the thought of bathing one terrifies me.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:08:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I've seen the hairless deals, but I was reading an article about cats that have been genetically modified so their saliva doesn't contain the protein that causes issues, but haven't heard any real world input about them - also haven't looked into it to deeply just because I've never been around cats, so as far as I know I'm not a cat person, lol. But I think if dogs get ruled out, a cat wouldn't be out of the question if it could be livable. I'd just really like my kids to have a pet they can love and cuddle, I think it's a good thing for em.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Balinese and Siberian Forest Cats produce less of the enzymes and proteins that are the usual allergens.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:09:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Probably the Sphynx, or hairless, cat. Less shedding, plus less grooming = less saliva, which is a common allergen. They aren't the prettiest cats out there, but they might be ok for you. You could also look at an American Hairless Terrier, for the same reasons as the Sphynx. They're similar in size and temperament to a rat terrier.

http://www.wiki-pet.com/images/breeds/dog/breed-images/12/super-size/american-hairless-terrier-3.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.wiki-pet.com/images/breeds/dog/breed-images/12/super-size/american-hairless-terrier-3.jpg

Those hairless cats creep me out - always look like they're up to something. That hairless terrier freaks me out less... May be worth looking around and seeing if I can find one locally to try and spend time with it, see if it sets me off. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:12:56 PM EDT
[#21]
My wife and daughter are allergic to our cat and guinea pigs (but not to the dog).  Fortunately it's more of a skin contact allergy than respiration linked.  So as long as they wash their hands after petting the cat or guinea pigs, they usually do fine.  Occasionally they'll get a rash on a leg or something and washing the rash area usually does the trick.

Daughter used to do the allergy shots but we've found the oral drops to be much more effective with fewer side effects.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:16:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My wife and daughter are allergic to our cat and guinea pigs (but not to the dog).  Fortunately it's more of a skin contact allergy than respiration linked.  So as long as they wash their hands after petting the cat or guinea pigs, they usually do fine.  Occasionally they'll get a rash on a leg or something and washing the rash area usually does the trick.

Daughter used to do the allergy shots but we've found the oral drops to be much more effective with fewer side effects.
View Quote

Ive been hearing about these drops - you like them more than the shots? If you don't mind me asking, how does it compare to shots cost wise? Have they kept her symptoms down as well as the shots did?
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:21:57 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm extremely allergic to cats and mildly allergic to dogs with long fur.

I have a fast acting albuderal (not sure how to spell it) inhaler, which is literally only used when I spend a couple days at my folks house around the dog.

The term hypo-allergenic is thrown around a lot and it really doesn't mean shit BUT the fact remains that some dogs have different types of fur, some shed, some are just worse for me.

I couldn't live with a Husky, but a small dog (40lb or so) can work.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:27:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Allergic to dogs and cats. We still have a Lhasa Apso I would not trade for anything. Pretty much a Lhaso or a Bichon are your best options for minimizing allergic reaction. Even still, if I pet her I have to wash my hands. She has sneezed in my face a couple of times and my eyes turned blood red and burned in less than a minute. Just try to minimize the possibility of them getting in your face, or allowing their dander or hair to get in your face and you will probably be fine.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:28:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm extremely allergic to cats and mildly allergic to dogs with long fur.

I have a fast acting albuderal (not sure how to spell it) inhaler, which is literally only used when I spend a couple days at my folks house around the dog.

The term hypo-allergenic is thrown around a lot and it really doesn't mean shit BUT the fact remains that some dogs have different types of fur, some shed, some are just worse for me.

I couldn't live with a Husky, but a small dog (40lb or so) can work.
View Quote

Yeah, I'm pretty sure a St. Bernard would kill me via allergies, but the bishons worked for me when I was younger. Shame they don't now, allergies change I reckon.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:30:19 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

If I go bury my face in a cat, I'll be flat out miserable in 10 minutes -
View Quote

I don'r bury my face in that kind of pussy

I take zertec and have built up a tolerance.  Pollen is worse for me, anyway.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:32:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Another recommendation is to get leather furniture instead of fabric which holds in the hair and dander.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:32:59 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm allergic to pet dander, but have two dogs.

Always have had pets...always will.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:35:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Yes became allergic to pet dander about 20 yrs ago really sucks....
benedryl to sleep at night and multiple nasal douches with Neilmed and it's tolerable.

I do way better with dogs than I ever will with people...

I heard (do not know if true) that Airdales are hypo allergenic
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:41:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Another recommendation is to get leather furniture instead of fabric which holds in the hair and dander.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That does make sense, but whew - after I replace all my carpet and buy new furniture, a dog could end up costing me new car money, lol.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:44:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Those hairless cats creep me out - always look like they're up to something. That hairless terrier freaks me out less... May be worth looking around and seeing if I can find one locally to try and spend time with it, see if it sets me off. Thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a breeder in Franklin, KY. The website is awkward, but they are members of the national breed club and could probably introduce you to the breed and answer any questions you might have.

Kennessee Valley Kennel

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:45:28 PM EDT
[#32]
yes

I try to avoid direct exposure (I generally avoid playing with the kitty cat - but I like cats, so sometimes just deal with it).  Likewise, most of the time I can take clarition and keep it in check (even with a decent amount of exposure - did that while dating a cat chick).  

That said, I learned this last summer I need to be more careful.  Visited my wife's family this summer for a week.  I started with the clarition early.  I thought I was doing ok, but was just groggy all the time - so I self medicated with massive doses of soda to stay awake.  Eventually realized my O2 was low, so hit the emergency inhaler and came back to life.  Only problem was the massive doses of soda did more damage that I could have imagined.  Almost ended up in the hospital as I went full blown diabetic.  (Eyesight went screwy, tons of leg cramps, lost 30lbs in 3 weeks and stayed thirsty (even though I was drinking 2 gallons of water a day).

---

I think I am a bit less allergic to dogs.  I have never had a problem acclimating to them.  That said, if I sleep in the dog house (aka, let the pups lay in bed with me) - I usually feel like shit afterwards if I don't drug up first (or have not been doing it daily).

Anyway down to 1 house cat from 4.  3 indoor/outdoor dogs (mostly outdoor, I wish they were mostly indoor).

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:46:40 PM EDT
[#33]
We're all allergic, but we still have three cats.

Wash your hands frequently, especially after petting them.
Keep the house as clean as possible.  Our previous house had a central vac system that exhausted outside - that was the shiznet.  We have housekeepers that come in and clean every two weeks.
Carpets are huge dander traps.  Hardwood floors are better.
Don't let them in your bedrooms, and whatever you do, don't let them sleep with you.  This is a bit problematic, because the kids' rooms get cold in the winter and hot in the summer due to lack of airflow.  But it makes a huge difference to have a "refuge" each night.
If you have a forced-air system, you might want to look at a HEPA filter upgrade - few hundred bucks.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:56:55 PM EDT
[#34]
My wife is allergic to the dog. When we got engaged 26 years ago I told her I'd always have a dog and if she couldn't deal with it then the dogs win.

She loves the dog and just washed her hands after petting him. No big deal. He's not a licker and somehow the dogs we no longer have used to know not to lick her but save the slobber for me and the kids.

My son has the same allergy, he also learned to wash his hands and keep his face away from the lickers.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:06:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Keep the house as clean as possible.  Our previous house had a central vac system that exhausted outside - that was the shiznet.  We have housekeepers that come in and clean every two weeks.
Don't let them in your bedrooms, and whatever you do, don't let them sleep with you.  This is a bit problematic, because the kids' rooms get cold in the winter and hot in the summer due to lack of airflow.  But it makes a huge difference to have a "refuge" each night.
If you have a forced-air system, you might want to look at a HEPA filter upgrade - few hundred bucks.

View Quote

Very good advice....

Brushing them outside often...and wet their coats down with a hand sprayer with aloe vera while brushing  helps to keep the dander down a bit.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:08:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

There is a breeder in Franklin, KY. The website is awkward, but they are members of the national breed club and could probably introduce you to the breed and answer any questions you might have.

Kennessee Valley Kennel

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kennessee Valley Kennel

Hehe, I'd actually found them in my lookings around after you mentioned them. They're pricey pups, but I think it'd be worth it if they were a livable solution. Thanks for the help, from what I'm reading they're very good for people with allergies. It would be so cool if this worked out.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:10:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Very good advice....

Brushing them outside often...and wet their coats down with a hand sprayer with aloe vera while brushing  helps to keep the dander down a bit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very good advice....

Yeah, that is all good advice. I'd said the thing about the bedroom to my wife in one of our pet conversations. If I give up my house, I at least need the bedroom to be a place of peace, lol.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:14:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Reducing your exposure to other allergens can improve your symptoms when exposed to your pets.  Get tested and find out what you are allergic to.  Get tested for food allergies.

I have some food allergies with Corn being the #1.  It's damn near impossible to avoid corn.  But when I manage to my sensitivity to other allergies goes way down.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:22:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I've been told allergy shots would really help, but the cost has ruled that option out for now. Thanks for the reply switch
View Quote

It's worth the money, believe me!
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:26:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Lol, as a person with no cat experience, the thought of bathing one terrifies me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same.

We give ours a bath.

Just practice with a bucket of water and a battery operated skill saw.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:27:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Reducing your exposure to other allergens can improve your symptoms when exposed to your pets.  Get tested and find out what you are allergic to.  Get tested for food allergies.

I have some food allergies with Corn being the #1.  It's damn near impossible to avoid corn.  But when I manage to my sensitivity to other allergies goes way down.
View Quote

I know I got tested when I was maybe 8 or so, I'm sure none of that would be relevant 22 years later. Hadn't thought of that, may have to schedule an appointment with an allergy specialist.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:30:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Hahaha, that's about what I imagined mancow
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 2:12:39 PM EDT
[#43]
We tried bathing our cats regularly.  We'd read somewhere that regular bathing caused the cat to produce less of the protein in its saliva that is the primary ingredient that causes allergies.

We did it for a while, back when we had 2 cats.  I can't honestly say whether it helped or not.  Having a large tub helps, so that cat can't get any traction with its claws.

One last item - don't declaw your cat, especially if there will be kids around.  A declawed cat learns to bite to defend itself, and a cat's mouth is a filthy haven of germs.  Young kids will invariably piss the cat off at some point (intentional or not), and the bites can become nasty infections.  Friend of mine had to get rid of his cat because of that.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:20:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Ive been hearing about these drops - you like them more than the shots? If you don't mind me asking, how does it compare to shots cost wise? Have they kept her symptoms down as well as the shots did?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The cost of the drops without insurance covering them is about the same as the shots were costing us with insurance.  Ours cost about $175 every three months.

The drops improved her resistance to allergens significantly better than the shots did, and with fewer side effects.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:29:16 PM EDT
[#45]
My girlfriend is allergic to out two labs , she also spoiled the shit out of them
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:39:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Yep. Have two dogs and both of them get to me after being with them for awhile. If they are wet , it makes it even worse.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:48:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Same.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same.

Same, wife decided to bring two home but they are outside since i am alleegic. Cant wait for winter and hope they fuckin freeze to death. One shits on the garage floor when she can and the other shits in the flower bed, on the water hose..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top