Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2015 10:03:25 AM EDT
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is my understanding of how GSA works - in regards to property.

GSA acquires land (typically via purchase), then leases it out to other government entities. What. The. Fuck.

Is GSA effectively writing a check that the future lease will be funding or is it really as shitty as it sounds (GSA has budget to buy land in the first place, money charged to .govs doesn't reduce budget on the books)
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:07:26 AM EDT
[#1]
The entire Federal government is a scam.......
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:10:38 AM EDT
[#2]
FPNI
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:15:21 AM EDT
[#3]
So GSA is using taxpayer money (Purchases + Operating Expenses) to increase assets for the government (equity, which I guess is ooooh kaaaaay), and then more taxpayer money (other .govs) gets paid to GSA to buy more land? Whut?

Is this outlined anywhere?
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:20:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Nothing to see here, shitizen...Move along...
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:27:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That's a given.

But my understanding of the GSA is that they're kind of the Quartermasters: they manage properties, cars, and other capital equipment, then entities that need such equipment lease through them.  Sure it is another middleman, but there is probably a savings when one entity is buying, say 10,000 cars and 50,000 computers a year versus the local Recruiter that need one of each every three years.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:29:51 AM EDT
[#6]
GSA is also selling a lot of property to get it off the books if it's not being used.  That is actually a good thing.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:30:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:32:46 AM EDT
[#8]
FPNI.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:33:02 AM EDT
[#9]
GSA is one giant kool aid factory.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:36:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Think about this - the government in and of itself does not have money.  It takes your (and mine) to operate.  The bigger the operation, the more money.  Federal Reserve?  Not part of the government but does have an unholy alliance with Team Fed (ability to control, print, etc.).  Think of it as the biggest wealth extraction (at your expense) in the history of man kind.  And yet ................wait for it .......................no one stands up to the enterprise.  Chew on that while you are trying to figure out how to pay your mortgage, rent, food, kids medical expenses, etc.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:41:51 AM EDT
[#11]
PBS (Public Building Service) is the property management arm of the government.

Which you need to run the day to day business of the government.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:43:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
GSA is also selling a lot of property to get it off the books if it's not being used.  That is actually a good thing.
View Quote

I know that they sell some to commercial entities, but am also aware of numerous properties that sit vacant. I guess those are ones that they might use in the distant future?

and I get the economies of scale with purchasing power thought, but I'm still skeptical. I saw their schedule pricing for a Dell OptiPlex 780 (Pentium Dual Core, <4GB RAM) that cost the .gov more than $2,500. That was a current schedule from 3 years ago.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:02:35 PM EDT
[#13]
The schedules are designed to give contracting officers a menu of things that they can buy. It's all agreed upon which makes the process significantly easier and protects the government from fraud.

If you've got a better way to manage 4,000,000 employees and their spending habits then let me know.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:06:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So GSA is using taxpayer money (Purchases + Operating Expenses) to increase assets for the government (equity, which I guess is ooooh kaaaaay), and then more taxpayer money (other .govs) gets paid to GSA to buy more land? Whut?

Is this outlined anywhere?
View Quote

In the Federal Acquisition Regulation

have fun reading, understanding, and interpreting it.

Then every agency has its own FAR (like DFAR for Defense) and there are even more FARs (AFAR for Army, so if the Army wants to purchase something they have to be in compliance with the FAR, DFAR, and AFAR - and the Army Corps of Engineers may have their own shit too so there's another layer, lol your bureaucracy in action).
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:12:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Lot of people bitch but I do the IT purchasing for the Hospital (Non-profit) that I work at, I can get HP desktop PC's for about $420 each piggybacking under a GSA contract that we would pay $879 for if we bought on our own.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:17:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The schedules are designed to give contracting officers a menu of things that they can buy. It's all agreed upon which makes the process significantly easier and protects the government from fraud.

If you've got a better way to manage 4,000,000 employees and their spending habits then let me know.
View Quote

Hit  three million nine hundred thousand of them in the ass with two checks. Your welcome.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:17:41 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I know that they sell some to commercial entities, but am also aware of numerous properties that sit vacant. I guess those are ones that they might use in the distant future?

and I get the economies of scale with purchasing power thought, but I'm still skeptical. I saw their schedule pricing for a Dell OptiPlex 780 (Pentium Dual Core, <4GB RAM) that cost the .gov more than $2,500. That was a current schedule from 3 years ago.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That pricing includes enterprise level tech support, does it not?

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:31:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Whose name is on that money in your wallet?

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:32:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was packaged in the pricing, but...

from what I recall, it was in a space that 1. is managed exclusively by our own IT Branch and 2. Dell couldn't get in to anyway.

That was the case back then; a young guy in finance pushed it (cutting that support) up. Not sure if anything actually changed. Hell, we only migrated to XP back in ~2010 (and why we didn't go straight to 7 should paint a picture for you of the people running the show)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top