Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:13:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Back when I was in elementary school we did every year but I believe that tradition is done nowadays. Hell my 12 year old nephew came home from public school this year in love with Bernie Sanders I highly doubt they're singing Christian carols but I'll ask him to double check.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:18:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:19:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm pretty sure we did in elementary school.  Maybe not the most religious of the various carols.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:21:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Only if they involve praising our lord and masterblamer....obozo!
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:22:06 AM EDT
[#5]
They used to.  Not anymore.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:25:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

We sang deck the halls.

You know,

deck the halls with gasoline, fa la la la la la la la la
strike a match and watch it gleam, fa la la la la la la la la
watch the school burn to ashes, fa la la la la la la la la
aren't you glad you played with matches, fa la la la la la la la la
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unlike you heathens I went to Catholic school so I have no idea. I think we did sing religious Christmas carols when I was in public elementary school, but I don't really remember

We sang deck the halls.

You know,

deck the halls with gasoline, fa la la la la la la la la
strike a match and watch it gleam, fa la la la la la la la la
watch the school burn to ashes, fa la la la la la la la la
aren't you glad you played with matches, fa la la la la la la la la

Row row row your boat gently down the stream
Throw your teacher overboard and listen to her scream
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:14:54 PM EDT
[#7]
yes we did.....
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:22:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:41:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I live in Seattle.

They not only sing CHRISTMAS songs, Santa Claus comes room to room..

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:50:06 PM EDT
[#10]
We did, I graduated in '02.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:04:02 PM EDT
[#11]
We did but both my kids schools don't even do a Christmas program anymore.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:11:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
At the school I teach at, no.  

In fact I've noticed over the last 20yrs, fewer and fewer music choices that have actual Christmas theme, instead of holiday theme.  I think when my kids first started, I remember Silent Night, but I'm almost positive that ended some time back.  

Luckily, I got to celebrate when my youngest son finally made it out of the annual Christmas concerts.  I hated those things.  Huge mass of smelly people packed into an auditorium.  Half the little kids in the audience are either screaming or coughing.  
View Quote

I attended Rawhide Elementary in Gillette, and I'm pretty sure we did. This would have been circa 1985.

We also did a school play during Thanksgiving that would probably be considered downright racist today.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:11:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Unlike you heathens I went to Catholic school so I have no idea. I think we did sing religious Christmas carols when I was in public elementary school, but I don't really remember
View Quote

I went to public elementary school.   We sang straight up religious christmas carols.   But that was 30+ years ago.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:31:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yup back in the day I did.

Thanks to the Proselytizing Atheists, more and more schools are switching to "holiday" programs and songs.  
View Quote

As it should be. Public school's job is to teach everything, not pick and choose what is correct to teach.

That said we had Christian and non-Christian christmas songs.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:34:34 PM EDT
[#15]
No idea.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:47:51 PM EDT
[#16]
The majority of songs we sang in "music" class in public grade school were religious.  We even sang a bunch of spirituals, which I'm sure would be considered racist today.  The teacher was Jewish, and most all of the musical plays we did were Jewish ones. Or perhaps just Christian, some of the ones I thought were Jewish I just looked up and they look to be Christian.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 4:19:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

We also did a school play during Thanksgiving that would probably be considered downright racist today.
View Quote

I played the "Sultan of Morocco" in a school play when I was eight or nine. The teachers did me up in full-on Al Jolson black face - not to be racist, just because they thought it was realistic.

It was also the world's most flamboyantly homosexual interpretation of the role for a variety of reasons, none of them intentional

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 4:25:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Both my daughters teach elementary in Texas public schools. No Christmas carols, no Christmas parties, no Christmas ANYTHING! They can't even wish their students a "merry Christmas"
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top