Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 10/7/2015 9:03:34 PM EDT
In a discussion with an anti.

He goes on to elaborate:

You owning guns doesn't hurt any other person, but the fact that you have a right to own those guns clearly does, because that same right applies to another party who is going to use that same right to hurt people.
View Quote

The statement is nonsense but a requires a reply regardless.  So far I have, "They aren't using the right to hurt people.  They are abusing their rights.  There is a stark difference."

What else?
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:04:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Fuck off sounds good to me.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:05:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Drinking a beer or owning a car is worse. It contributes to drunk driving.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:05:29 PM EDT
[#3]
So, nobody should have any rights because they may be abused?  Got it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:05:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Bullshit.  No one has a right to murder.  And everyone has the means to murder.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:06:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

He goes on to elaborate:

You owning guns doesn't hurt any other person, but the fact that you have a right to own those guns clearly does, because that same right applies to another party who is going to use that same right to hurt people.
View Quote

The statement is nonsense but a requires a reply regardless.  So far I have, "They aren't using the right to hurt people.  They are abusing their rights.  There is a stark difference."

What else?
View Quote

The statement is nonsense. sums it up perfectly. Have him explain that further. If he can.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:06:37 PM EDT
[#6]
A proper response is go fuck yourself you beta bitch.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:06:47 PM EDT
[#7]
FPNI
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:07:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

He goes on to elaborate:

View Quote

What else?
View Quote

Innocent until proven guilty. Then add the fuck off.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:07:11 PM EDT
[#9]
That is his response after asking for him to elaborate.

Thanks for the replies so far.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:07:19 PM EDT
[#10]
You using free speech to express opinions doesn't hurt other people, but the fact that everyone has free speech, and some people use that speech to lie and take advantage of others means that the right to free speech hurts people.  Thus the government should regulate what people can and cannot say to protect people.
[#11]
The action of harming others is already against the law. The item used does not change that. A farmer using sodium nitrate to increase crop yield is not the same as the Oklahoma city bomber. A person using a gun to target shoot is not the same as a mass murderer.
[#12]
"You keep using that word. I do not think or means what you think it means."

An individual right is, by definition, independent of the actions of others. And is also a legal concept, not a "thing". It cannot be the cause of anything.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:07:22 PM EDT
[#13]
by the same reasoning, refusal to own a gun also hurts other people, because it provides a more target-rich environment for predators (who proliferate due to the availability of easy prey).
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:07:32 PM EDT
[#14]
No, we have a right to have guns to STOP someone else from hurting us. The victim mentality bullshit does not fly in the world of rational thinking.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:08:22 PM EDT
[#15]
the same can be said for any other right. Freedom is scary.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:08:38 PM EDT
[#16]
That doesn't even make sense. Why worry about a response?
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:08:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

He goes on to elaborate:

View Quote

What else?
View Quote

Rights aren't invalidated by the potential of another's misuse.

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:09:07 PM EDT
[#18]
I have the right to drink. A lot.

And I might not hurt anyone doing it, but just because that right extends to other people, especially in Montana, they might not be able to handle getting as drunk, as often, as I do.

They might get in a car/tractor/lawnmower and mow down a pack of kids on their way to school.  

So we need another prohibition.  Like immediately.  

After I finish my drink.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:09:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fuck off sounds good to me.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:09:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:10:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Old axiom:    There are no guarantees is life,  so you can't have one.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:10:34 PM EDT
[#22]
You don't have a right to a risk-free life.

And I'm not obligated to give up my rights to make you feel safe.

And there's nothing you can really do to stop me from exercising them, law or no.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:10:52 PM EDT
[#23]
So by this reasoning we should disarm the police and military??  Gun owners protect others by simply having guns that deter the criminally minded.  Without weapons, a 300 pound football player could have his way with a 110 pound cheerleader, and no one weaker could do anything about it, could they.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:11:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Bullshit.  No one has a right to murder.  And everyone has the means to murder.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:12:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Gun ownership is a positive externality, not a negative externality. Go fuck yourself with a saguaro.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:13:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Owning spoons indirectly increases the spread of diabetes
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:13:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Stop projecting.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:13:33 PM EDT
[#28]
We really don't care what happened to you on facebook.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:14:11 PM EDT
[#29]
The response you are looking for.... "You would rather ban a right, and make everyone a potential victim in order to satisfy your fantasy world view that banning something equals SAFETY.... I refuse to have my rights dictated to me by someone who demands to live in this fantasy world."... Then follow up.. put the ball in their court... "Name one culture, society, ect... that banned any item.. or gave government sole power over weapons/defense/violence... that became a safe utopian society... name just one, in 10,000+ year of recorded history... just one"... They cant. This refutes their fantasy world view that banning weapon ownership equals safety.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:14:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Does being that stupid hurt?
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:14:39 PM EDT
[#31]
I also posted , "Should we say that fat people and eating greasy hamburgers contribute to over eating, obesity, and heart disease, the number one killer of Americans?"

Thanks all for the responses this is great.  I lover ar15.com.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:15:01 PM EDT
[#32]
We all have the right to breathe.  Every mass killing asshole was breathing during their shooting.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:15:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I also posted , "Should we say that fat people and eating greasy hamburgers contribute to over eating, obesity, and heart disease, the number one killer of Americans?"

Thanks all for the responses this is great.  I lover ar15.com.
View Quote

I like this response
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:15:17 PM EDT
[#34]
We better get rid of those pesky fourth and fifth amendments too. Some people might use them to get away with hurting someone.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:15:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Oh, it's a facebook fight?

Just write them out of your life.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:17:02 PM EDT
[#36]

"Your right to free speech indirectly hurts other people.  People have used words to incite violence and suicides.  Now shut the fuck up before your speech makes me hurt you."

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:17:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Turn it around 180*
Why should the actions of (those who intend harm) have ANY bearing on YOUR RIGHT to keep and bear arms?

I've yet to hear an anti's argument that I couldn't reverse, to counter whatever shit they're shoveling.

See, most (all) of their arguments are irrational.
Flip it around and make a rational argument
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:18:51 PM EDT
[#38]
No.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:22:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:22:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

He goes on to elaborate:

View Quote

What else?
View Quote

I'd be happy to debate you, however your wife  wants to take top this time, later.   BTW: That beauty mark does look like a smiley face
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:23:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Same goes with a car.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:24:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Same argument holds true for the right to vote, freedom of speech, etc.

People have used those rights to hurt others.  That doesn't mean we just strip everyone of their rights.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:25:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Why are people drawn to argue with idiots?
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:25:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Items in and of themselves cannot do harm to anyone without the mind and action of a human being to guide them.  The item could be anything, any tool.  An item cannot be blamed. Only the individual that chose to be evil and murderous. To believe an inanimate object is the cause of evil is just denial, illogical and delusional thinking.

Edited fer clarity.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:26:39 PM EDT
[#45]
lol
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:27:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
So by this reasoning we should disarm the police and military??  Gun owners protect others by simply having guns that deter the criminally minded.  Without weapons, a 300 pound football player could have his way with a 110 pound cheerleader, and no one weaker could do anything about it, could they.
View Quote

This.

The caveman mentality. In those days, the strongest was entitled to the best food, the best pussy, the best shelter, the best bed, the best whatever they wanted, because no one could stop them from doing it. When a stronger person came around, they took whatever they wanted. History is full of those who have a monopoly on strength and violence taking whatever they want, and everyone else having to just live with it. Guns are a tool of equality, a poor person has just as much right to defend their life, liberty, and happiness, as a rich person. Guns allow this to happen with equal footing.

God made men, Sam Colt made them equal.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:28:10 PM EDT
[#47]
My response would entirely depend on whether I cared if this person still liked me when our exchange was over.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:28:40 PM EDT
[#48]
You owning cars doesn't hurt any other person, but the fact that you have a right to own those cars clearly does, because that same right applies to another party who is going to use that same right to hurt people.

You owning alcohol doesn't hurt any other person, but the fact that you have a right to own alcohol clearly does, because that same right applies to another party who is going to use that same right to hurt people.

You owning a penis doesn't hurt any other person, but the fact that you have a right to own that penis clearly does, because that same right applies to another party who is going to use that same right to rape people.

You owning a mouth doesn't hurt any other person, but the fact that you have a right to own a mouth clearly does, because that same right applies to another party who is going to use that same right to trigger people.

You owning a kitchen knife doesn't hurt any other person, but the fact that you have a right to own those knives clearly does, because that same right applies to another party who is going to use that same right to hurt people.

You owning a cell phone doesn't hurt any other person, but the fact that you have a right to own those phones clearly does, because that same right applies to another party who is going to use that same right to hurt people.

You owning a baseball bat doesn't hurt any other person, but the fact that you have a right to own those bats clearly does, because that same right applies to another party who is going to use that same right to hurt people.

You could go on and on and on. Everyone watching will see the parallel and wonder why the anti singles out guns but finds excuses for everything else.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:28:41 PM EDT
[#49]
"I don't care."
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:29:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

He goes on to elaborate:

View Quote

What else?
View Quote

See the major problem with all this is that liberals (in general) have a hard time understanding that freedom and liberty, by their very nature, are sometimes turbulent and dangerous. However, the rewards of a free society are great and overall quality of life is better.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top