User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 2:56:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not much 4k content right now, but there will be.  3D is dead.
View Quote

There is some up scaling that goes on as well.  4K sets are insanely crisp.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:03:09 PM EDT
[#2]
No way I would waste the money on 4K right now unless it had high dynamic range, the newest HDMI connector, and I made sure about its HDCP situation.

I'll wait until I'm sure the TV I'm buying has 12-bit, a Rec 2020 gamut, and HDR.

4K is literally the least important thing to me out of the next group of advances.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:04:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

There's 4k content out there if you look for it, besides that it's just future proofing. Why buy a 1080 when it's already been eclipsed? It'd be like buying a PS3 in 2015.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
4K is worth it, 3D is not.

What 4k content will you play on your 4k TV?

There's 4k content out there if you look for it, besides that it's just future proofing. Why buy a 1080 when it's already been eclipsed? It'd be like buying a PS3 in 2015.

I just bought a 4k Sammy it was $150 more.  Why the hell wouldn't you buy 4k at that price?
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:19:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I just bought a 4k Sammy it was $150 more.  Why the hell wouldn't you buy 4k at that price?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The biggest concern with 4k tvs is making sure that they 1.) Have HDMI 2.0a or are upgradable to 2.0a via firmware.  and 2.) Are HDCP 2.2 compliant, so you can view copy protected materials, i.e. 4K Blu-rays, Roku 4 and FireTV.  

If they dont have both of those, i'd skip buying.  

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:23:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Main board on my 5 year old LED TV died and it will be $600 for a new board, can't find them my self and looked a lot.  I am just going to get a new one for that price.

Are the 4k and/or 3D TVs worth the extra coin or just stick with 1080p 120/240hz refresh?  Opinions?
View Quote

http://www.vizio.com/mseries.html
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:51:00 AM EDT
[#6]
What brand did you have? I had samcrap and they lasted 3 years....imho a tv that costs that much should last 30

My parents got a zenith they finally replaced and it lasted that long
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 5:06:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Plus one

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 5:08:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That's a really dumb way to future proof.  By the time sufficient content arrives to make your 4k set worthwhile, you will be able to buy a new 4k set for a fraction of what you'd pay today.

Much better to buy a 1080p set today, which can be had at fire sale prices, then buy the 4k when you actually will have something to watch on it.

Last time I looked Netflix had exactly 20 movies in 4k.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a really dumb way to future proof.  By the time sufficient content arrives to make your 4k set worthwhile, you will be able to buy a new 4k set for a fraction of what you'd pay today.

Much better to buy a 1080p set today, which can be had at fire sale prices, then buy the 4k when you actually will have something to watch on it.

Last time I looked Netflix had exactly 20 movies in 4k.

that's 20 more than they had a few months ago.  youtube has more and more videos. Clearly it's the future.  Get 1080p only at fleamarket prices.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 5:10:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The standards have just been fixed on 4k discs.  You'll start to see very limited release of those late this year.  But, the 4k disc may never take off since most people aren't that interested in having physical media anymore, they want streaming.

But, 4k streaming currently requires about 15~16Mbps.  To make that work you're going to have to have at least 20Mbps internet downlink (more would be better) on a very very uncongested headend.  Even those of you with 60+Mbps downlinks are going to see congestion at that streaming rate during prime viewing hours.  And heaven help you if a few of your neighbors are also trying to stream 4k content.

It just doesn't look that bright for 4k content for the next 2 or 3 years.  Most people don't keep TV more than 5 years these days, and they are on a steep downward price curve.  It's really hard to see a compelling story for most people to run out and buy a 4k set years before they will really be able to watch anything on it.  In 3 years when maybe you'll be able to start seeing some substantial content you'll be able to buy a bigger screen, with more features, for a much lower cost.

But, if you like to be the first guy on the block to say he owns something ..... knock yourself out.

View Quote

Actually, given just how much bandwidth 4K takes, I would love to have some movies on disks instead of streaming them. Much more so than with HD.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 5:12:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Panasonic is in the midst of releasing a 4K OLED 65" with High Dynamic Range tech and THX certification for color reproduction range and accuracy.  The curved panels are shipping currently I believe, and the flat versions, which I'd recommend, should be available shortly.

I'd guess $6000 on release and $5000 in a few months.  

I'm betting it will be the best picture quality ever seen in a television.

If you can't wait, the LG 55" and 65" 9500 model are available for $3000 and $5000 respectively and will get you damn close.
View Quote

you don't really need a huge 4K set. I want something in the 46" range for an amazing pixel density. Large sized dilute your pixel density.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 5:13:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have a 50" Vizio 4k that I got refurbed ar Wal Mart for $535. Love it. The up convert on standard content is very noticeable compared to the 1080 set it replaced.
View Quote

that's just an insane price.  No reason to ever buy HD now. Unless you get for $100 or something.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 5:18:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I still wouldn't buy a 4K TV today.  I'd wait for BF and buy a 1080p for cheap and relegate it to a bedroom or the garage later when 4K is actually a thing.....which it's not yet.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 5:22:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I prefer to stay at least 1 generation behind.  I have a 42 inch 720 plasma TV (3rd world, right?).  It looks great to me.  I'm buying a new house with a bigger living room, so I'm thinking of getting a 55" LED 1080 TV.  I'll wait for 8K before I get a 4K.  Keeps it cheaper, and I only watch F1 racing and movies.  My wife doesn't need to see Oprah's big fat ass in 4K 3D.  

I also have a projector and a 100" screen for family movie nights.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 5:36:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I say get rid of it and have more time in your life.

TV free for 21 years.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 5:39:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I still wouldn't buy a 4K TV today.  I'd wait for BF and buy a 1080p for cheap and relegate it to a bedroom or the garage later when 4K is actually a thing.....which it's not yet.

View Quote

It seems to be about a 20% premium to UPGRADE to 4k.  I am telling you that the upscaling is worth it (for the main name brand manufacturers), as are most of the added features and mainly the better processors that come with the tv's (for web browsing/youtube and what not).
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 5:43:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The biggest concern with 4k tvs is making sure that they 1.) Have HDMI 2.0a or are upgradable to 2.0a via firmware.  and 2.) Are HDCP 2.2 compliant, so you can view copy protected materials, i.e. 4K Blu-rays, Roku 4 and FireTV.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently, you and I think alike, which should worry the hell out of you.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 5:54:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Fuck 3D.  

Save money and buy a professional 1080p monitor.  Unless you need an 80" screen 6 feet away from your couch.  Then, and only then, does 4K make sense.  A professional monitor will improve your experience far more than money spent on increased resolution in a consumer model.

Disclaimer:  I've been in the professional video industry for over 20 years.
View Quote

An 80" HD TV will be pixilated that close
If you have a short room UHD will look much better than HD closer up, especially as screen size increases.
I like my 65" Samsung UHD TV.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:04:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Amazon and Netflix have 4K content.  YouTube has 4K content.  Ultraflix is another place streaming 4K content.   The 1st gen 4K bluray players and movies comes out this Christmas.  So the content is here and moving forward.

As for 3D, you either haven't watched anything or have/had a shitty display do 3D.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No content for 4k unless you hook it up to a computer and game with it.

Never going to be a purpose for 3D.

So for a TV doing TV things... no on both counts.

why pay $2000-3000 for something that will be $300 in a couple years?

Amazon and Netflix have 4K content.  YouTube has 4K content.  Ultraflix is another place streaming 4K content.   The 1st gen 4K bluray players and movies comes out this Christmas.  So the content is here and moving forward.

As for 3D, you either haven't watched anything or have/had a shitty display do 3D.  

It's accelerating. Give it a year or two and it will be mainstream.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:05:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good point.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:19:28 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
you don't really need a huge 4K set. I want something in the 46" range for an amazing pixel density. Large sized dilute your pixel density.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Panasonic is in the midst of releasing a 4K OLED 65" with High Dynamic Range tech and THX certification for color reproduction range and accuracy.  The curved panels are shipping currently I believe, and the flat versions, which I'd recommend, should be available shortly.

I'd guess $6000 on release and $5000 in a few months.  

I'm betting it will be the best picture quality ever seen in a television.

If you can't wait, the LG 55" and 65" 9500 model are available for $3000 and $5000 respectively and will get you damn close.

I think you have it backwards.  Small sets suck, and 4K makes big sets look much better.  I have a 64" plasma and sit about 8 feet away which suits the room visually and acoustically.  I wouldn't go any smaller because I'd lose that sense of immersion and visibility of small details in movies shot with movie screens in mind.  I like the visual scale to resemble sitting in the middle of a theater.  

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:05:23 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Fuck 3D.  

Save money and buy a professional 1080p monitor.  Unless you need an 80" screen 6 feet away from your couch.  Then, and only then, does 4K make sense.  A professional monitor will improve your experience far more than money spent on increased resolution in a consumer model.

Disclaimer:  I've been in the professional video industry for over 20 years.

View Quote
The claims that you can't see the difference unless you're very close to a big screen are misleading.  People can tell the difference well outside of the distances that are often claimed based on retinal sensory cell density because the eyes are constantly making tiny movements and working together to create a composite image of effectively greater resolution.  4k also reduces the visibilty of aliasing jaggies which are especially noticeable with movement and are a major giveaway to the brain that something isn't real.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:32:16 PM EDT
[#22]
I think I have settled on this one LG Electronics 49UF7600 49-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV (2015 Model)  

It is $898 off of Amazon.  Any thoughts?

IPS Panel Yes
ULTRA HD (3840x2160) Yes
Tru-4K Engine Yes
Tru-4K Upscaler Yes
Triple XD Engine Yes
Tru-Color Generator Yes
Tru-Black Control Yes
Just Scan (1:1 Pixel Matching) Yes
4K UHD File Playback Yes (HEVC, VP9)
Real Cinema 24p Yes
Tru-Motion 120hz
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:41:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:52:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Plus, I could use my old TV, since the picture works, as a 47" monitor for my computer!
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:27:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:40:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Main board on my 5 year old LED TV died and it will be $600 for a new board, can't find them my self and looked a lot.  I am just going to get a new one for that price.

Are the 4k and/or 3D TVs worth the extra coin or just stick with 1080p 120/240hz refresh?  Opinions?
View Quote

4K, yes. 3D, no.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:53:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I think I have settled on this one LG Electronics 49UF7600 49-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV (2015 Model)  

IPS Panel Yes
ULTRA HD (3840x2160) Yes
Tru-4K Engine Yes
Tru-4K Upscaler Yes
Triple XD Engine Yes
Tru-Color Generator Yes
Tru-Black Control Yes
Real Cinema 24p Yes
Tru-Motion 120hz
View Quote

Looks nice.  There is also a 43" version even cheaper.  799 tokens for a 43" 4K is a steal.

I paid about that much for a 37" hdtv 7 years ago.  and it had a 60 Hz refresh rate.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 12:50:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

IPS Panel Yes
ULTRA HD (3840x2160) Yes
Tru-4K Engine Yes
Tru-4K Upscaler Yes
Triple XD Engine Yes
Tru-Color Generator Yes
Tru-Black Control Yes
Real Cinema 24p Yes
Tru-Motion 120hz
View Quote

The vizio M series is better and cheaper.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:12:51 AM EDT
[#29]
I have a 4k tv and it's great when you have content to play on it.  I only paid $1100 for a 49 inch class, but it was for a 2014 Sony model in March of 2015.  The big reason for buying the particular Sony was that my wife and I perferred the smart TV content on the Sony over the competition.  The fact that it was 4k was just a bonus.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 10:30:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Looks nice.  There is also a 43" version even cheaper.  799 tokens for a 43" 4K is a steal.

I paid about that much for a 37" hdtv 7 years ago.  and it had a 60 Hz refresh rate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IPS Panel Yes
ULTRA HD (3840x2160) Yes
Tru-4K Engine Yes
Tru-4K Upscaler Yes
Triple XD Engine Yes
Tru-Color Generator Yes
Tru-Black Control Yes
Real Cinema 24p Yes
Tru-Motion 120hz

Better options, with HDCP2.2 compliance, 4k@60hz with 4:4:4 chroma, and have 3d (even though it is not mentioned) from best to worst:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN48JS8500-48-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B00U9U9002/
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN50JU7100-50-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B00TWFHELW/

If you need to keep it $1k or under (these have 60hz panels with backlight strobing to get an effective refresh rate of 120hz. ie. Snake Oil) the LG above also does that:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN50JS7000-50-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B00ZIGRX4W/
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN50JU6500-50-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B00TWFHJWG/

You can compare the offerings between these links:
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-brand/samsung/js8500?uxtv=8151466000c1
Vs. the LG selected:
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-brand/lg/uf7600?uxtv=8151466000c1

I don't usually recommend Samsung TVs, but the ran away with the quality victory this year.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 1:24:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

that's just an insane price.  No reason to ever buy HD now. Unless you get for $100 or something.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a 50" Vizio 4k that I got refurbed ar Wal Mart for $535. Love it. The up convert on standard content is very noticeable compared to the 1080 set it replaced.

I bought a Vizio 50" P Series demo at Smiths for $467.

You need at least a 15 Mb connection and for content; Netflix, Amazon Prime and YouTube. I think within a couple of years, you'll see a lot more 4K content out there.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 3:17:24 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

red: all computer things... thanks for supporting my point.

blue: So nothing right now.  And sucky expensive early adopter experience in the near future? right... why pay exorbitant prices now when waiting for just a little bit longer will see the prices drop significantly... much more content... and the bugs and glitches worked out?

There has been exactly 1 movie worth seeing in 3D in the theater... Avatar.  Ignoring the sucky story... it was beautiful in 3D.  I don't think buying a 3D tv is worth it for 1 movie.  ALL other movies are better in 2D.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No content for 4k unless you hook it up to a computer and game with it.

Never going to be a purpose for 3D.

So for a TV doing TV things... no on both counts.

why pay $2000-3000 for something that will be $300 in a couple years?

red: all computer things... thanks for supporting my point.

blue: So nothing right now.  And sucky expensive early adopter experience in the near future? right... why pay exorbitant prices now when waiting for just a little bit longer will see the prices drop significantly... much more content... and the bugs and glitches worked out?

There has been exactly 1 movie worth seeing in 3D in the theater... Avatar.  Ignoring the sucky story... it was beautiful in 3D.  I don't think buying a 3D tv is worth it for 1 movie.  ALL other movies are better in 2D.  

Gravity was excellent in 3D
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 3:21:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Plenty of good TV's around

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-55-class-54-6-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-black/3953148.p?id=1219609307256&skuId=3953148
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 3:25:18 AM EDT
[#34]
What's all this 4K nonsense, they have started shipping 8K

Link Posted: 10/11/2015 3:27:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top