Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/7/2015 2:53:51 PM EDT
I have had to take two, one was for PRP (personnel reliability program), the other was for a criminal investigation.  The criminal investigation happened when the gas station I was working at had all the money stolen from the safe.  This was in 1980, gas stations were full service and the cash was dropped into a floor safe.  I get called on my day off, and told the cops want to talk to me.  I show up, and there are two detectives standing in the office next to the floor safe.  Detective "A" asks how I would get the cash out if I wanted too.  I think about it for a minute and respond "I dunno, probably C4, but then there probably wouldn't be much left of the money."  Detective "B" busts out laughing, and detective "A" face turns red.

Detective "A" drags me to the cop shop for a polygraph.  Of course I'm nervous as hell, not because I did anything wrong, but because I'm a punk ass kid that has never dealt with the popo before.  Turns out it was the manager, trying to frame me.

I know CSB...
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 2:56:21 PM EDT
[#1]
My Momma was better than any FBI polygraph technician ever hoped to be.  No fooling that woman.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 2:57:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 2:57:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah. Something about an OSI shakedown.

The whole process felt... stupid.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 2:57:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Hopefully I will be doing one in the near future if I manage to switch jobs.  But I've never had to do one in the past.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 2:59:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Nope, know a guy who does them. A lot of it is mind games wth him just using the machine as a prop to get confessions, although he is convinced it works. He could get the same results with the old " lie/ truth" photocopier gag some cops used
View Quote
OPSEC reported.

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:00:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Took a voice stress analyzer  exam.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:00:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Took 3 when I was trying to get hired as a cop.  I somehow failed one.  The lady giving it was a complete bitch and my hatred for her must have shown.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:00:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Had a guy down here that would always win the big fishing tournaments. Like everyone, then when they started strapping the winners into the polygraph he started not to win at all.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:01:10 PM EDT
[#9]
nope, only once had to pee in a cup too.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:02:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Yep
Numerous
Company I worked for in college used them several times a year on all the employees asking questions about theft, drug use, etc.
Screwed up IMO but it was a good job in school and I needed beer money
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:02:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes for Cincinnati pd. It was terrible, I was in a dark room for hours with a guy who never introduced himself to me and made me stare at the light between the floor and the bottom of the door. I have lived an uneventful life and still walked out of there feeling like the worst person in the world and a liar. I passed but wish to never take one again. I've seen the same room being used on "First 48" being used to interview suspects, makes me remember it each time.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:03:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't believe they work.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:04:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Twice and both processes were very similar but for two very different law enforcement agencies.  One said I failed and interrogated me for two hours (despite the question I was allegedly being deceptive on was completely contradicted by another question I was no) .   The other said I passed.  Questions were almost identical but the process on how to respond was different.  

It's an art, not a science.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:06:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I had to take one.

Or maybe I didn't?
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:08:14 PM EDT
[#15]
"It's not a lie,if you believe it"
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:09:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Yep, years ago then after that, I used to schedule them for my employees.

Pro Tip: Never try to sneak a SBD by when strapped into the machine.

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:11:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I took one. The cop didn't like me, said that I was 'trying to alter my results' despite the fact that I spoke truthfully 100%, I guess I was nervous? He said that I was lying, and the fact that I admitted I owned silencers and SBRs was an automatic disqualification.

Wasted like 9 months of my life trying to get that job too. Still thinking about going back and going for it again.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:11:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I've had two for pre-employment process.   Had nothing to hide at either, and left feeling like I'd been violated.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:13:14 PM EDT
[#19]
as far as i'm aware, the only scientifically valid form of polygraph testing is the 'guilty knowledge' test.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:14:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Pseudo-science silliness.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:17:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I have taken two back in the 1980's and failed both miserably.
I was nervous both times and was truthful to a fault.
Under no circumstances would I ever put myself through that shit ever again.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:18:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Nope, but was asked if I would take one.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:18:32 PM EDT
[#23]
A couple times for a couple of jobs, security/armored transport.  Smokin' hot blonde cougar administered, when I left I felt like I'd had my balls used as a punching bag.  She was mean.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:18:33 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Twice and both processes were very similar but for two very different law enforcement agencies.  One said I failed and interrogated me for two hours (despite the question I was allegedly being deceptive on was completely contradicted by another question I was no) .   The other said I passed.  Questions were almost identical but the process on how to respond was different.  

It's an art, not a science.  

View Quote

I had to take one, they definitely do this. I don't know if it's commonplace or not, but they asked me the exact same set of questions 3 times. Basically you take the test multiple times. There was one question that I answered differently between the tests. Some of them are designed to trip you up. The examiner told me that was part of their "technique"

I passed
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:18:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Three of them, all three were administrated differently. I think they're a mind game to trick the guilty into confessing.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:20:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I don't believe they work.
View Quote

Me either. Glad my department didn't require one.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:21:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Yes... Was a but nervous the whole time until I was hammered about drug use at the end and how I was lying. At that point I wised up, laughed and just kept answering, no.

He gave me a "You did fine" afterwards.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:26:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Pre-test question, to establish 'Your' Baseline;
"I'm going to ask you a VERY EMBARRASSING Question........Have you Ever.........."
That was the way it's asked.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:28:33 PM EDT
[#29]
They only work if you believe they work.  I had to take one years ago for a program access.  Since I knew they didn't work, I had to curl my toes to get a response to the control question where you had to lie.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:31:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Took one for a job that required a security clearance.
Was rear-ended by some black dude setting at a red light about two blocks from where the test was to be administered.
Hit and run with brother man flipping me off smoking his tires and was driving about the biggest mercury marquis that I ever saw.
Could have opened up on the dude with a mini-gun if I would have had one..
Walked in polygraph dude has this cheesy-ass little attitude like he is Sgt. Freaking Friday or sumthin.
Failed the test.
Something about me lying about not stealing anything when I was in the military.
I had a friend of a friend who was a supply staff NCO.
Jungle fatigues, and boots and LC-1 harnesses were hard to come by in 1979.
Go figure.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:34:27 PM EDT
[#31]
No known spy against the US ever failed a polygraph

just some food for thought....
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:37:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

A buddy of mine one time said that he took a couple of his wife's valiums and drank a couple beers and passed his.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:41:02 PM EDT
[#33]
I have. It's horseshit. Like someone said, it's a confession machine for idiots.
Examiner broke protocol and tried to piss me off so he could say he got a reading on something. He was full of shit and I let him know afterwards.
His co-workers confirmed that not many people liked to eat lunch with him. Douchebag.

Junk science and unless you HAVE to take one for some reason, I'd avoid it.

I passed, btw (NDI) and refused the job later.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:44:44 PM EDT
[#34]
It's an interrogation tool meant to elicit a confession before or after the test.  The actual results are voodoo at best.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:45:00 PM EDT
[#35]
I've taken them.

The last one, the tester (who told me he taught polygraph machine use at the academy) told me that I was either a sociopath, or I was being 100% true on everything, he couldn't tell.

He also told me he was going to use my results in his class as an example of both.

*shrug*

The shit isn't hard.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:51:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:53:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Meh I tried to take one when I was being investigated for something I didn't do.

Fucks wouldn't let me.

Truth eventually came out though, just wish it had been months sooner.

Fuck those cops, and Im no cop basher, but those fuckers had their blinders on and didn't want to believe shit even when it didn't point to me
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:55:01 PM EDT
[#38]
I had to take one.  Federal Government. The day of the test I showed up with a single page form that looked like a certificate with:

"Let it be known that xxxxx x xxxxx (my name) does not lie and tells the truth"

I presented it to the examiner and he looked at me with a "WTF" moment....I told him, if I fail, I lose my job.  If I pass I get nothing? Not fair I said.  If I pass I should get a certificate saying I don't lie.

After much much consternation and discussion I was told that no one would be signing the certificate and I couldn't put pre-conditions on the polygraph.  I had to take it or lose the job.

So I took the poly and passed.

"See?  I told you I don't lie."  

I got the stinkeye as I left.

I was on my way to a new job regardless.  But it always bugged me that taking a polygraph only had negative consequence and no positive outcomes....like a nice certificate you could frame on your wall attesting to your truthful nature.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:55:54 PM EDT
[#39]
I passed two.  You can beat the machine easily, if you get some training.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:57:03 PM EDT
[#40]
If it will not hold up in court, why take one. Total B.S.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:58:51 PM EDT
[#41]
We used to use them at my old employer . I was in one of the few industries that still allowed them . I am convinced they do nothing and are all for show
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 4:06:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Took a voice stress analyzer  exam.
View Quote

Even hokier than a poly

OP yes I've taken one. Will probably take another for my next job. They're not a big deal, but I have led a fairly boring clean life
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 4:06:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Part of my job. Counter Intel and lifestyle polys every few years. No biggie. It was always weird watching people stress out before them.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 4:09:11 PM EDT
[#44]
I took one but they caught me because it wouldn't fit in my trunk
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 4:11:28 PM EDT
[#45]

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 4:11:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
If it will not hold up in court, why take one. Total B.S.
View Quote

Because many places view it as a baseline for trust worthiness. If they think you're lying on a polygraph, why would they want to hire you for whatever position it is?

Depending on who it is, the bigger problem is not what you may or may not have done in your past, its if you try to conceal it from them.

It is also not a definitive science. There is some interpretation done by the polygraph reader. It is measuring your physiological responses  to the questions, but its how the reader interprets these readings that determines pass / fail. Obviously if your breathing spikes or your BP goes through the roof on a question, it shows you could be stressed about the question, which could indicate you're lying / concealing the facts. More subtle variations in these factors can be more difficult to differentiate. It's as much an art as it is a science.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 4:11:49 PM EDT
[#47]
The real lie detector is the interrogator sitting in the seat across from you.

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 4:14:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Yeah, the guy was like convinced I was a replicant but I'm pretty sure he was a replicant, but now I'm not sure about myself.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 4:16:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

There you go-conclusive proof that the system works..............
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 4:17:02 PM EDT
[#50]
I have only seen them in the movies. How do thy hook you up to them. Are they like probes with a positive and negative polarity?  Do they attach them on to your nipples?  If so what happens if one falls off?  Is it like the opening seen of the Ghostbooster movie?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top