User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:34:32 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
lol yeah.

hell COD and Battlefield have done the same thing. Battlefield 2 was the last great FPS

it really only seems like arma is the only one doing huge open world hundred player servers.

now its all 10v10 on tiny maps full of choke points.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

lol yeah.

hell COD and Battlefield have done the same thing. Battlefield 2 was the last great FPS

it really only seems like arma is the only one doing huge open world hundred player servers.

Gotta make the game "accessible" so everybody has a chance (and probably gets a participation trophy... notice how many rewards you constantly get in newer games?).

Games like the Arma series are VERY unforgiving of bad tactics and bad teams. One good sniper planted in a village can knock out a squad trying to capture it. And his scope doesn't glint like a laser so that everyone can tell where he is so he's easy to kill, like in Battlefield...

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:37:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I feel like someone should point out that CounterStrike was a mod.  For free.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

dlc should be free, or reduce the cost of the game from $60. not releasing developer kits so people can mod the game is the whole reason why DLC has become profitable. Basically EA and their ilk have fucked over the gaming industry for more profits. The golden age of gaming was battlefield 1942 and prior when you could buy a game and have 100 mods developed that were better than the vanilla game.

Over 15 years ago.  I knew modding would become popular enough that some developers would rather alienate a few customers to make money of the ones who don't care one way or the other about mods.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:38:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I just want a new version of TIE fighter.
View Quote

Motherfucking THIS!
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:39:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Gotta make the game "accessible" so everybody has a chance (and probably gets a participation trophy... notice how many rewards you constantly get in newer games?).

Games like the Arma series are VERY unforgiving of bad tactics and bad teams. One good sniper planted in a village can knock out a squad trying to capture it. And his scope doesn't glint like a laser so that everyone can tell where he is so he's easy to kill, like in Battlefield...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol yeah.

Arma was written to be as much of a "simulator" as possible for the computer.

The COD/BF series are arcade games.  Sure, the have varying levels of difficulty, and may even use ballistics for bullet flight, but they were never developed to be, nor claimed to be, realistic across the board.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:43:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The COD/BF series are arcade games.  Sure, the have varying levels of difficulty, and may even use ballistics for bullet flight, but they were never developed to be, nor claimed to be, realistic across the board.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol yeah.

so why cant i have both?

I would be happy with a 50v50 CoD map the size of stratis(20sqKm)
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:48:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

so why cant i have both?

View Quote

I'm no Subnet, but I'd think that a 50v50 server would have to be dedicated and very expensive to build/operate, given the multi-platform nature of gaming and memory/processor requirements.  Multiply that by, say 100, and it'll make the difference in a game company's bottom line.

I mean, yeah, 50v50 would be fun as shit, but I also understand that the CEO of EA has garages to fill with exotic supercars.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:50:50 PM EDT
[#7]
It looks really cool, but I just have no interest in multiplayer only games.

I know I am in the past, but I would have loved a modern star wars FPS that revolved around a long solo campaign.  Oh well, at least I have Fallout coming soon, which should last me until Zelda Wii U.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:53:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It looks really cool, but I just have no interest in multiplayer only games.

I know I am in the past, but I would have loved a modern star wars FPS that revolved around a long solo campaign.  Oh well, at least I have Fallout coming soon, which should last me until Zelda Wii U.
View Quote

You may be in the past, but you are not alone.

I would have been pleased as all hell with a looong campaign and huge Galactic Conquest.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:54:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
No Galactic Conquest, no care.

View Quote

No space battles no care.

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 4:06:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

dlc should be free, or reduce the cost of the game from $60. not releasing developer kits so people can mod the game is the whole reason why DLC has become profitable. Basically EA and their ilk have fucked over the gaming industry for more profits. The golden age of gaming was battlefield 1942 and prior when you could buy a game and have 100 mods developed that were better than the vanilla game.

Counter Strike 1.5 was free, iirc.

Source and CS:GO, however, are not.

Also, feel free to dip your toe into Team Fortress 2, its still free, and we have alien themed maps at the moment. The only things that cost money are cosmetic items, which do nothing other than look cool.

It more or less plays like Quake, art style aside.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 4:36:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Also, feel free to dip your toe into Team Fortress 2, its still free, and we have alien themed maps at the moment. The only things that cost money are cosmetic items, which do nothing other than look cool.

View Quote
Maybe to someone who has never played Quake

I hate TF2.

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 4:41:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No Galactic Conquest, no care.

Space battle was cool too, but got a little repetitive.  All the "base" ships were laid out the same inside and had the same structures to destroy, all of the playable ships were pretty much identical between factions.  Expanded space battle with new-console capabilities could be fucking awesome.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 4:50:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I hate TF2.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hate TF2.

Mad cuz bad.

The learning curve is fairly steep on some of the classes. And you'll have to deal with people like me who've played since day 1, too.

This is balanced out by a fairly large portion of the Valve server population appearing to have just figured out how to use a mouse and keyboard about 5 min after their TF2 install, and the very large portion of new people who think that Sniper or Spy is easy mode TF2.

ETA: If you are new, be prepared to spend a very long time in respawn while you figure out what is going on, the game tends to move very fast, and you WILL be punished severely for standing still for a nanosecond to think about it. Don't even bother with the in game tutorials, as they don't really cover much other than very basic movement and gamesense. Watching gameplay vids of experienced players will help, as you can slow down the gameplay on your own time, and see what successful play actually looks like if you know what you are doing.

It's a team based game at its core, and one guy can't win it on his own, though if you get good enough you can rofl stomp public servers every now and then.

ETA2: Yes, it does play like Quake, as movement and projectile prediction is king if you want to do anything. The non-projectile classes are only powerful for those who can aim properly, and you will only get a one shot kill as a Sniper if you are good enough to land a headshot, which is fairly hard to do vs someone who moves properly.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 4:58:34 PM EDT
[#14]
You all need to try planetside hundreds of players in combined arms

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 5:03:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You all need to try planetside hundreds of players in combined arms microtransactions

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Fixed.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 5:23:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

ITT: People that never played the SW:BF series.

Half the team will wait in spawn for vehicles, that staged "game play" will NEVER happen.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Half the team will wait in spawn for vehicles, that staged "game play" will NEVER happen.

Hate to disappoint you, but I've been playing the beta last night and today and pretty much exactly that has happened multiple times. I've already been Luke and Vader, have shot from AT-ATs and flown TIE fighters... and all of it happened fluidly. No waiting around for vehicles, at least on the beta... they're randomly scattered powerups. When you pick one up, you can use it. It forces you to run around like a foot soldier and work on objectives, while you still have a solid chance of picking up some fun toys.

I was prepared to hate it, but it's actually a lot of fun so far.

Quoted:

Mad cuz bad.

No, I spent way too long playing the original and have played a lot of TF2 as well. I'm not a fan of the gameplay.

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 5:33:13 PM EDT
[#17]
That dude's got dangerously high levels of midichlorians.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 5:34:34 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Hate to disappoint you, but I've been playing the beta last night and today and pretty much exactly that has happened multiple times. I've already been Luke and Vader, have shot from AT-ATs and flown TIE fighters... and all of it happened fluidly. No waiting around for vehicles, at least on the beta... they're randomly scattered powerups. When you pick one up, you can use it. It forces you to run around like a foot soldier and work on objectives, while you still have a solid chance of picking up some fun toys.

No, I spent way too long playing the original and have played a lot of TF2 as well. I'm not a fan of the gameplay.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mad cuz bad.

Is there a mode with lots of AI? I don't even care about multiplayer if I can slaughter hundreds of AI like the old ones.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 5:37:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Most of that information is wrong.

There are space battles, there are more than 2 heroes... are they comparing a finished game to the beta?
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 5:38:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Mad cuz bad.

How much is "a lot"?

ETA: None of that was spent idling for items, either.

Quoted:
  Is there a mode with lots of AI? I don't even care about multiplayer if I can slaughter hundreds of AI like the old ones.

There is, however, if you decide to do the "paid" missions, be aware that there is very low tolerance for the inexperienced, and its best played with 5 of your friends for maximum fun. Joining randoms is an iffy proposition if you are flying solo through the paid mode.

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 5:45:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Mad cuz bad.

Out of curiosity, how'd you get a code before the "public" beta tomorrow? Are you a wizard?
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 5:47:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I'm no Subnet, but I'd think that a 50v50 server would have to be dedicated and very expensive to build/operate, given the multi-platform nature of gaming and memory/processor requirements.  Multiply that by, say 100, and it'll make the difference in a game company's bottom line.

I mean, yeah, 50v50 would be fun as shit, but I also understand that the CEO of EA has garages to fill with exotic supercars.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
so why cant i have both?

Fuck consoles. PC games had 150 player servers ten years ago, and maps that took 20 minutes to fly over.

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 6:06:08 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Out of curiosity, how'd you get a code before the "public" beta tomorrow? Are you a wizard?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I wasn't even trying, someone on a forum saw me say that it looked fun and he sent me one yesterday

Quoted:

There's a survival mode in the beta, but it's only a few waves (15 waves in the full game). I'm not sure if they'll have anything better.

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:06:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That dude's got dangerously high levels of midichlorians.
View Quote

It's heroin.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:18:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:23:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
BF4 with Stormtroopers.

I will buy it at launch.

ETA: There will be updates and changes shortly after launch, Dice always does it with the Battlefield games.
View Quote

They always do that because they release games early on purpose and let you pay to be a beta tester.  Fuck DICE. I'll never buy anything from them again.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:25:09 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Re release Star Wars Galaxies without Jedi as a playable class then hit me up
View Quote

Fixed for me.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:36:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

lol yeah.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

lol yeah.

Free beta?!?  Hells yeah.

Hopefully game play is more like Battlefield 2 and earlier.  I played crackmonkey Doom 2 & Quake, but getting old for that now and the small map and fast movement kill the tactics and teamplay.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:41:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Beta will be available in 1 hour
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:44:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

PC or just for consoles?
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:47:24 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm buying me a new gaming laptop just for this
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:48:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

PC or just for consoles?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PC or just for consoles?

Both
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:51:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Both
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

PC or just for consoles?

Both

Not seeing it on Steam?
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:56:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Not seeing it on Steam?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

PC or just for consoles?

Both

Not seeing it on Steam?

Probably because it will be on Origin.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:56:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

What does that even mean? Dedicated servers?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had Jedi Academy & Battlefront for PC. Battlefront was my fave as far as overall gameplay went but Jedi Academy's online kicked ass. I would be on this... But...
Quoted:
No dedicated servers, PASS

What does that even mean? Dedicated servers?

Holy shit I feel sorry for your generation
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 11:01:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Watching the vids this game looks more ADHD than COD
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 11:02:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Watching the vids this game looks more ADHD than COD
View Quote

That is saying a lot.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 11:04:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

No it won't?  Open beta starts at noon tomorrow according to my Origin page
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 11:16:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Re release Star Wars Galaxies then hit me up
View Quote

Yup
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:01:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Beta should be up in about 30 minutes.  Taking a long lunch today.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:39:15 PM EDT
[#41]
anyone having issues playing this game?Im having issues. unistalled origin and battlefront, now reinstalling battlefront.
HP Envy TouchSmart 15t-j100 4th Gen i7-4700MQ Quad Core Edition 12gb of ram NVIDA Geforce GT740
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:45:19 PM EDT
[#42]
I've been playing for 20 minutes on Hoth and it's fun. I really wanted to hate it but I think it's actually good. I thought it was going to be very CoD like but it feels different

How do you fly? Anyone know?
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:47:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
anyone having issues playing this game?Im having issues. unistalled origin and battlefront, now reinstalling battlefront.
HP Envy TouchSmart 15t-j100 4th Gen i7-4700MQ Quad Core Edition 12gb of ram NVIDA Geforce GT740
View Quote

Worked great for me, played over lunch.  Beautiful game.

I like the Sullust map, has the potential to be interesting, especially with jetpacks.

Heroes don't seem to be as big an issue as people were afraid, but that may be because people aren't using them correctly yet.

Found a few little issues with parties joining games, etc but its running pretty smooth for a beta so far.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 4:34:45 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Re release Star Wars Galaxies then hit me up
View Quote
this

it was awesome until they fucked it up

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 4:58:11 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

How do you fly? Anyone know?
View Quote
Mouse and keyboard is the standard setup, which I dislike but I deal with it anyway. Forward to accelerate, backward to slow down, left and right to slide, mouse to maneuver. F1-F3 are for aerobatics.

ETA: Or did you mean how to get a ship? If so those are powerups scattered around like everything else.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 6:09:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I like the Sullust map, has the potential to be interesting, especially with jetpacks.

Heroes don't seem to be as big an issue as people were afraid, but that may be because people aren't using them correctly yet.

Found a few little issues with parties joining games, etc but its running pretty smooth for a beta so far.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i hate you, im upgrading to windows10 to see if that does the trick
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 8:01:07 PM EDT
[#47]
I too would kill for a new TIE Fighter.  I LOVED that game back in the day.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 8:11:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Game is reasonably fun.

Kind of liking the small death match map more than the Hoth battle out of the two modes available in the beta.

Unless you have rebel's that can pilot you just get face rolled on Hoth.

As imperial, I just got in an AT-ST and strung off 30 kills, that can't be fun for the other team.

The actual game is running smooth as silk without any issues at all in 2 hours of playing.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:20:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I just want a new version of TIE fighter.
View Quote

That will never happen with the current owners of the SW franchise.  

You must embrace playing a good Commie Jedi.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:42:42 PM EDT
[#50]
How do I activate a power-up on the PC?  I got a vehicle and sat there for a minute trying to figure it out before I got killed sitting there.  Searched online for it and still don't know how to activate it if I get another...

ETA:  Never mind, I figured it out.  The power-up shows up on the lower right screen and you just press the number on it.

Gameplay is super smooth but before and after the game the video and audio is really laggy.  Not sure what's going on there.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top