Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:11:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So probably a stupid question but I haven't really been keeping up with whats going on over there.  From what it seems like the rebels have been making some gains in the last few years.  With the Russians behind Assad now, would you consider it a game changer?  Just looking for an idea of who is winning the fight.
View Quote

Too early to tell but it would depend on the level of commitment.  They (Russians) are already doing more than I thought they would, so it very well could have an impact on the map....especially against the rebel groups in the north.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:15:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

What the war is now and what started it are two different issues.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Now you're making stuff up and moving goal posts.  I said it was a Sunni revolt.  The majority of Syria is Sunni, and that majority has largely been excluded from the political process.  You know this to be true so now you're adding the Sunni Jihadist tag where I never even said that.  I guess when people shave their beards, they also shave away their Sunni identity, I guess one can't be Sunni without a damn beard. You have an incredibly binary view of this conflict, and a very convenient one as well.  

Bad logic here.  It'd be like saying that the American Revolution was a Christian revolt, because the majority of the participants were Christians.

A Sunni revolt would be a revolt focused on Sunni religious beliefs.

No, you're simply making the same mistakes he is making and ignoring all the evidence and makeup of the opposition,  the history of Syria, who is backing who, and recent precedent.  It's fine, I can't wait to say I told you so.  You would think you guys would learn something about the Middle East by now.  These Wilsonian policies will continue to fail over and over again.  At least in Egypt we had a strong secular military infrastructure that could reverse it, you will not have that in Syria post Assad since it is dominated by the Alawites and will be persona non grata after the fall.

Hardly, these naïve assessments and poor understandings as to why these springs start is what leads us into these bad policies.  This is exactly my point.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:16:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I use to think that the wide variety of news sources was a good thing.  That we'd all benefit from the "everyone a journalist" idea, with all kinds of new information coming to light.

I'm not so optimistic any more.  It seems like most news sources are just reporting what other news agencies have reported, and using those multiple reports to claim that the information is authentic.  And then you drill down and it all came from one post on the Chinese equivalent of The Onion, or from a state-owned propaganda station.   This places the burden of identifying accurate information on the reader, and with the nested reporting, this burden is essentially impossible for a working person to handle.
View Quote
One set of biased liars vs many sets of biased liars.

When you have a bunch of different biased liars, it is easier to figure out you are being lied to because they have opposing reports and agendas that both can't be true.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:42:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Gissur Simonarson CN ?@GissiSim  18m18 minutes ago

VIDEO: Russian “Precision strikes”, only 1 out of 4 hits target.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:47:54 AM EDT
[#5]
TOW crew takes out a tank.

https://youtu.be/ZH3y3l4AYHc
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:51:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Michael Weiss ?@michaeldweiss  6m6 minutes ago

24 hours. Either Russia is terrible at killing Isis or it's not killing Isis:

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:51:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBEkjj9PL5I

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CQ4dfdFUAAAe_R0.jpg
View Quote

Russia is unintentionally making themselves look inept.

The entire world has watched the United States precision bomb bad guys for 12 years.

Go home Russia, you're drunk.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:53:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Michael Weiss ?@michaeldweiss  6m6 minutes ago

24 hours. Either Russia is terrible at killing Isis or it's not killing Isis:

https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/8da5/uic0bgyht6s2ryfzg.jpg
View Quote

No.  Russia is obviously not targeting ISIS exclusively.  I'm not sure they've ever said ISIS was their only target.  Russia considers any adversary to Assad a terrorist organization.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:05:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Bad logic here.  It'd be like saying that the American Revolution was a Christian revolt, because the majority of the participants were Christians.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, the unarmed protests of cleam shaven men and women was a Sunni revolt.

Clean shaven? Lol is that the basis of your new rationalizations? Geez, it's a sectarian revolt, this is undeniable and not unprecedented in the history of Syria, or are you suggesting the Christians, Alawites, and Druze were in on the uprising as well because that is beyond absurd. It's hilarious watching you guys convince yourselves that there was ever a purely secular and spontaneous uprising of 'good guys' lol.

This guy gets what I'm saying.
I used that basis since the video of one of the unarmed protests where Syrian security forces lit up the crowd are right there for you to see (not that you would). Sunni jihadists don't 1.) allow men to be clean shaven 2.) allow women to attend mass protests. ie. It wasn't a Sunni jihadist protest.

I love how you are incapable of discerning what is obvious because its counter to the normal pro-Assad propaganda that you love to spout on about. Next thing you'll deny that Assad didn't purposely empty his prisons of Sunni jihadists in the hopes that they would immediately take up arms so he could declare the Civil War was not about abuse of power and tyranny, but about sectarian reasons.

Now you're making stuff up and moving goal posts.  I said it was a Sunni revolt.  The majority of Syria is Sunni, and that majority has largely been excluded from the political process.  You know this to be true so now you're adding the Sunni Jihadist tag where I never even said that.  I guess when people shave their beards, they also shave away their Sunni identity, I guess one can't be Sunni without a damn beard. You have an incredibly binary view of this conflict, and a very convenient one as well.  

This guy gets what I'm saying.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:12:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Another tank destroyed by TOW.  This time they filmed the camera guy who records the kills.  I've always wondered what that guy uses.  

https://youtu.be/KO0SAHgAaxA

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:15:09 AM EDT
[#11]
This crew gets another kill.  The first one they killed is parked to the right and is still smoking.

https://youtu.be/OBYG-WhNvhQ

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:27:55 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

This crew gets another kill.  The first one they killed is parked to the right and is still smoking.

View Quote
Doing quite a job...

they gonna be SOL though when the 2W1 cable goes tits up...
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:33:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Doing quite a job...  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doing quite a job...  

Is it bad form to shoot twice from the same location?  Doesn't that increase your chance of getting detected/spotted by 10000x?  Granted, it seems all the guys who were there ran away so it might not matter anyway.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:35:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Hardly, these naïve assessments and poor understandings as to why these springs start is what leads us into these bad policies.  This is exactly my point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, you're simply making the same mistakes he is making and ignoring all the evidence and makeup of the opposition,  the history of Syria, who is backing who, and recent precedent.  It's fine, I can't wait to say I told you so.  You would think you guys would learn something about the Middle East by now.  These Wilsonian policies will continue to fail over and over again.  At least in Egypt we had a strong secular military infrastructure that could reverse it, you will not have that in Syria post Assad since it is dominated by the Alawites and will be persona non grata after the fall.

You've consistently denied that Assad fueled the ANF/IS participation to triangulate against the FSA and forestall US involvement.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:49:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Hard to say what this is, BMP maybe?  TOW kill.

https://youtu.be/Bz6nLZfyltc

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:42:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
[
You've consistently denied that Assad fueled the ANF/IS participation to triangulate against the FSA and forestall US involvement.

View Quote

No I haven't.  Please provide a link or links since it has supposedly consistently occurred.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:43:11 PM EDT
[#17]
These guys get their second kill today.

https://youtu.be/DtcbQAKByyQ

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:48:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Are we supplying the TOW missles?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:50:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Yup, The Russians are supporting the guy that started the Civil War in Syria by doing this to unarmed protesters    

The guy with the bottom part of his face blown off - I think I would rather just die.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:58:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

We sell them to Saudi, Turkey, and Qatar, who then smuggle them to the rebels. Most likely its with American tacit support.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:25:36 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
We sell them to Saudi, Turkey, and Qatar, who then smuggle them to the rebels. Most likely its with American tacit support.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Or Iranian...

Need closer pics to confirm.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:31:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Or Iranian...  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or Iranian...  

The rebels, many of them being SAA deserters, captured numerous govt ammo dumps, so its possible that some of these are the Iranian Toophan copies of the TOW.

But if you look at the videos, many of the tubes have English lettering on them, which means they are US made and smuggled in.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:53:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

No I haven't.  Please provide a link or links since it has supposedly consistently occurred.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[

You were pimping the Assad government since 2012, and claiming the FSA was a group of terrorists (which is basically the same as above.)

Now, you were hardly the only one claiming that only Assad stands for the minority Syrian populations (and that isn't an unreasonable stand, though its driven all sorts of bad policy, like functionally abandoning the FSA.)

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:54:02 PM EDT
[#24]
These vids make me wonder what our guys in the 80's would of done to Soviet armor with the tow systems.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:58:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The rebels, many of them being SAA deserters, captured numerous govt ammo dumps, so its possible that some of these are the Iranian Toophan copies of the TOW.

But if you look at the videos, many of the tubes have English lettering on them, which means they are US made and smuggled in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or Iranian...  

IIRC, some Iranian weaponary have markings in English for some reason.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 3:02:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
These vids make me wonder what our guys in the 80's would of done to Soviet armor with the tow systems.
View Quote

Much of the GSFG armor was better than what the Syrian have, and it would have been better employed as part of a combined arms look, as opposed to somewhat static patrolling and trolling for contact.

The best available analysis is suggesting that Assad is attempting to hold as much terrain as possible in order to maintain his stance as the rightful ruler of the pre-2012 Syria.

So, the SAA is spread anorexically thin. I will give it to the SAA and SyAAF...they've hung in there FAR longer than anyone would have given them credit for before the war, and considering their resource constrants, have done passably well.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 3:07:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The entire world has watched the United States precision bomb bad guys for 12 years.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBEkjj9PL5I

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CQ4dfdFUAAAe_R0.jpg

12 years of precision bombings, and what was gained?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 3:36:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You were pimping the Assad government since 2012, and claiming the FSA was a group of terrorists (which is basically the same as above.)

Now, you were hardly the only one claiming that only Assad stands for the minority Syrian populations (and that isn't an unreasonable stand, though its driven all sorts of bad policy, like functionally abandoning the FSA.)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
[

Let's not mistake pimping for preference or the tacit approval of Assad's own bad actions.  I just don't see a post Assad Syria being anything better, indeed I see Syrian Sunni state being a more vulnerable or worse player for overall regional stability. The difference being is I am not trying to make good guys here.  All the actors in this conflict are bad, some worse than others.   You simply think Iran represents a bigger threat than Sunni extremism.  On this we will NEVER agree.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 3:43:58 PM EDT
[#29]

Some good footage. Those Hinds look pretty low.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 3:45:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Remind the folks in fly over country again why 'we' want Assad replaced?

Obama's foreign policy has resulted in dictators being overthrown in the middle east and been replaced by failed nations run by Islamic terrorists.

It's not like any of these Muslim countries are going to become civil, peaceful countries, they will just become part of a Caliphate and destabilize the region.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I doubt those missiles are heading toward ISIS. Lying Russian bitches....

ISIS = armed muslim terrorists

Syria moderates = armed muslim terrorists

Assad forces = armed muslim terrorists

Does not matter who you target in Syria, none of them are US-friendly.

It doesn't matter if they are friendly, it matters if they are useful. Many of the allies the US has had over the years weren't pro-US even at the best of times. If US policy regarding the Assad regime is to overthrow him, then there are limited number of resources to use to do this without direct US intervention. For those that think Assad is the strongman that Syria needs to hold things together, remember he is directly 100% responsible for the Syrian Civil War emerging from Arab Spring protests.

Arab Spring: A Research & Study Guide, Syria

Remind the folks in fly over country again why 'we' want Assad replaced?

Obama's foreign policy has resulted in dictators being overthrown in the middle east and been replaced by failed nations run by Islamic terrorists.

It's not like any of these Muslim countries are going to become civil, peaceful countries, they will just become part of a Caliphate and destabilize the region.

Glad someone said it. It has happened time and time again.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 5:01:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Let's not mistake pimping for preference or the tacit approval of Assad's own bad actions.  I just don't see a post Assad Syria being anything better, indeed I see Syrian Sunni state being a more vulnerable or worse player for overall regional stability. The difference being is I am not trying to make good guys here.  All the actors in this conflict are bad, some worse than others.   You simply think Iran represents a bigger threat than Sunni extremism.  On this we will NEVER agree.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
[

That's reasonable.

My issue is that the Shia will get a bomb, in all likelihood, and it its going to get used, at some point. We used the bomb when we felt we were in an large conflict, and the existential threat to the U.S. had long ago ended.

The Iranians likely feel they are in a current existential conflict.

The problem is that once the overall fear of the Alawite led internal security apparatus failed, the idea of minority government in Syria as a unitary state died, and that was the position of Ford while he was Ambassador in 2011. No one was going to be able to put Assad's Humpty Dumpty together again.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:12:51 PM EDT
[#32]

Full-scale military operation launched by Syria to retake city of Hamah from ISIS.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:59:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Julian Röpcke Retweeted

Stork ?@NorthernStork  11h11 hours ago
Reports of 500 new TOWs delivered to #FSA from Saudis this week..this explains a lot..
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:23:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

https://youtu.be/H8ujh0HrhJs
View Quote

Slightly less vulnerable to MANPADS that extremely low, but more vulnerable to ground fire.  I guess it is a trade off.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:25:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Full-scale military operation launched by Syria to retake city of Hamah from ISIS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYAeegjhQWM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TnTOKmZ_9Q

View Quote

I wonder if the first video is a compilation of old footage or an actual new offensive.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That's reasonable.

My issue is that the Shia will get a bomb, in all likelihood, and it its going to get used, at some point. We used the bomb when we felt we were in an large conflict, and the existential threat to the U.S. had long ago ended.

The problem is that once the overall fear of the Alawite led internal security apparatus failed, the idea of minority government in Syria as a unitary state died, and that was the position of Ford while he was Ambassador in 2011. No one was going to be able to put Assad's Humpty Dumpty together again.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
[

That's reasonable.

I understand the trepidation.  I guess that is a possibility but I think the conditions would have to be pretty extreme for that to happen....anything is possible though.  I think they want it mainly for the reasons everyone else does....for more immunity and freedom of action.  These are definitely interesting times.  Do you have your popcorn ready?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:14:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Slightly less vulnerable to MANPADS that extremely low, but more vulnerable to ground fire.  I guess it is a trade off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FSA have no reliable supply of MANPADS, just AAA. Hopefully Qatar, Turkey and Saudi rectify that.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:24:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Too early to tell but it would depend on the level of commitment.  They (Russians) are already doing more than I thought they would, so it very well could have an impact on the map....especially against the rebel groups in the north.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So probably a stupid question but I haven't really been keeping up with whats going on over there.  From what it seems like the rebels have been making some gains in the last few years.  With the Russians behind Assad now, would you consider it a game changer?  Just looking for an idea of who is winning the fight.

http://m.csmonitor.com/World/Middle-East/2015/1007/Russian-strikes-changing-landscape-of-Syria-battlefield-anti-Assad-rebels-say-video
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:38:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Saudis are. They bought 15,000 Tows from us. When I posted here about the purchase back when it happened, I was assured by various posters the Saudis wouldn't provide these arms to the Jihadist groups in Syria. They claimed the purchase was to replenish depleted /old Saudi stocks of anti-armor weapons for their own use.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:40:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Those snackbar assholes are getting good at taking out armor.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:42:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
[

Fuck the FSA. May Russian cruise missiles send their Islamist asses to Allah.

I still don't understand how people cannot realize supporting the FSA is going to create a second Libya. Is it willful ignorance to get revenge on Assad for fucking us in Iraq Screechjet?

Edit: edited to fix typos due to posting on my damn piece of shit phone.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:44:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Much of the GSFG armor was better than what the Syrian have, and it would have been better employed as part of a combined arms look, as opposed to somewhat static patrolling and trolling for contact.

The best available analysis is suggesting that Assad is attempting to hold as much terrain as possible in order to maintain his stance as the rightful ruler of the pre-2012 Syria.

So, the SAA is spread anorexically thin. I will give it to the SAA and SyAAF...they've hung in there FAR longer than anyone would have given them credit for before the war, and considering their resource constrants, have done passably well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They would have folded long ago without Iranian support. It's more a testament to Suliemani for holding the Syrian shitshow together with such a piss poor SAA.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:45:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

FSA have no reliable supply of MANPADS, just AAA. Hopefully Qatar, Turkey and Saudi rectify that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not sure a large proliferation of MANPADS in Syria will be a good thing.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:45:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Fuck the FSA. May Russian cruise missiles send their Islamist assess to Allah.

I still don't understand how people cannot realize spring the FSA is going to create a second Libya. Is it willful ignorance to get revenge on Assad for fixing us in Iraq Screechjet?
View Quote

Well, luckily we have a partner for peace in Moscow and Iran
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:48:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

They would have folded long ago without Iranian support. It's more a testament to Suliemani for holding the Syrian shitshow together with such a piss poor SAA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It still doesn't change the fact that the SAA is doing the heavy lifting of fighting and dying in Syria. They likely know, even if Assad doesn't, that this war won't end in anyone's lifetime, at this point. They get that they are the Alawite Army.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:49:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IDK, I agree with Screech that they have done fairly well for an Arab Army.  Of course, the reason for such only sheds light on the sectarian element of this conflict.  These guys are not just fighting to keep Assad in power, they are fighting for their lives and way of life in every sense of the word. Otherwise, they would have melted away long ago.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:53:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
[

Exactly.

The US Gov is intent on riding their Saudi / GCC horse into catastrophe, instead of trying a legitimate re-balancing of the region.

Joe Klein makes a rational argument that leans in favor of abandoning the Saudis and other GCC states, but makes a huge mistake in thinking the Iranians are going to be allies anytime soon. We could cooperate with them in certain respects up to a point, but our goals aren't the same, and we certainly don't trust one another. Ally is a word that shouldn't even be in our Iranian lexicon yet... but his underlying sentiment of working with Iran on Syria will be what is required to end the conflict, and to truly degrade ISIS.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:55:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That's reasonable.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
[

That's reasonable.

There's so much assumption in what you just posted as to make it completely irrrlevant.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:58:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Russians are likely to dash your hopes. They've been pretty effective at destroying "FSA" weapons depots according to reports.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top