Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 11:15:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I hope they last longer than that VA projection.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:12:46 PM EDT
[#2]

More than 16 million Americans served in World War II, and it is estimated that they are dying at the rate of about 555 a day. A little over a million survive.

In the not so distant figure, the greatest generation will be gone. It has been an honor to have been able to spend some time speaking with some. I will be forever humbled by their sacrifice.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/anne-arundel/annapolis/bs-md-honor-salute-20140503-story.html#ixzz30nvq6xeu
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:29:53 PM EDT
[#3]
We need his stories

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:33:23 PM EDT
[#4]
If a guy turned 18 in 1945

he would be born in 1927

So he would be 88 today.

Very few men from the "smoke 'em if you got 'em" era live to be 100, so you can expect to have only a tiny handful left at 2027.

The Germans were putting 12 year olds into combat as Berlin fell, so they're going to last another couple of years longer.

don't forget also that most servicemen during WWII were technically support troops, I think the ratio was 10 to 1

so the number of actual combat vets is 1/10 of the surviving servicemen

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:44:56 PM EDT
[#5]
My uncle, Marion 'Rusty' March, Capt. USMC, passed away 6.21.15 2 months shy of his 100th birthday. He was the last surviving member of VMF 214 when it was the Blacksheep Squadron. He was with them during their second tour, from Nov '43 to Jan '44.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top