Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 19
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:03:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not a surprising statement coming from you.

By your flawless line of logic, I should be making all sorts of wild-ass assumptions about how the U.S. government uses its enormous theoretical surveillance capabilities against innocent Americans as well, right? I mean, I don't have any proof, but look at the history and circumstances here, right?

I'm sure you'll respond with all sorts of bullshit reasons for why "that's not the same."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He didn't change shit. The only thing he accomplished was giving the Russkies a shitload of information on US intelligence.

People who don't like Snowden keep saying this, and yet I have not seen a single credible source for this claim.

Unless you're just talking about the general stuff that he gave to EVERYONE by handing it over to the media. But that's not the same thing as "giving it to the Russkies."

That proof is not necessary.  

By your flawless line of logic, I should be making all sorts of wild-ass assumptions about how the U.S. government uses its enormous theoretical surveillance capabilities against innocent Americans as well, right? I mean, I don't have any proof, but look at the history and circumstances here, right?

I'm sure you'll respond with all sorts of bullshit reasons for why "that's not the same."

Why would you snip out the stuff where he explains his statement?  
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:03:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Interesting.........I would have assumed ALOT.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably not as much as a Cold War vet might think.

That's because you're old and remember the dynamic as Capitalism vs. Communism.

It still exists to a degree (see also, China/Russia influence in the U.N.) but China and Russia are more interested in expanding State interests than the global expansion of Communist ideology.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:04:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It still exists to a degree (see also, China/Russia influence in the U.N.) but China and Russia are more interested in expanding State interests than the global expansion of Communist ideology.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was China ever dedicated to the global revolution?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:05:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He didn't change shit. The only thing he accomplished was giving the Russkies a shitload of information on US intelligence.

People who don't like Snowden keep saying this, and yet I have not seen a single credible source for this claim.

Unless you're just talking about the general stuff that he gave to EVERYONE by handing it over to the media. But that's not the same thing as "giving it to the Russkies."

Strawman arguments don't work too well, otherwise.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:05:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Another Snowden thread shitter.

Its like an alert goes out and the same 5 people show up to shit in the thread.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What I find interesting is that you're attacking people that are actually engaging in a rational discussion in this thread yet you accuse them of shitting in it.

Seems to me you should be more introspective on that shitting claim.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:05:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thread titles, how do they work?

There's about 5 discussion topics that interest me at the moment. You're likely to find me in threads discussing them.

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:06:13 AM EDT
[#7]
How can you not admire this guy?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:06:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because his "explanation" doesn't actually expand or explain anything. He just assumes that Snowden took information to Russia and then assumes that because he took it there (if he did), that he shared it. That's the full "explanation" he provides, which is about as coherent as assuming that I raped someone in London because I flew there and brought my penis with me.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:06:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

There's about 5 discussion topics that interest me at the moment. You're likely to find me in threads discussing them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure thing buddy

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:06:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait a minute, I might not have stated the question clearly................do China and Russia spy on each other very much is what I was asking.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:07:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If he had the information in his control, and he took it to Russia, it has to be assumed that he gave it to them, or that they ended up with it.

ALL of that information must then be considered compromised.

Just like when someone is taken prisoner in wartime, you HAVE to assume that everything THEY knew, then enemy now knows. If that included pending operations or sensitive capabilities, those ops are cancelled, and the capability if now worthless.

Your not including the rest of my quote is nothing but a dishonest attempt at misinformation.

I'll put it back in, where it was.

My statement is 100% factual.  And yes, my logic IS flawless.

It is not a "wild-assed assumption,"  to assume that the information he accessed and/or downloaded was subsequently compromised.  That is responsible risk management and mitigation.  To assume anything less would be irresponsible.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:07:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Death by firing squad.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:07:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Does a blue light go off at your work desk................wherever that is?

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:07:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because he is dishonest.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:08:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The quasi-intelligent search routine he has running in the background opens a prompt window for him.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:08:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Russia's not a human rights paradise, eh?

View Quote

I imagine being an American in Russia right now isn't a desirable situation
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:09:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Your not including the rest of my quote is nothing but a dishonest attempt at misinformation.

It is not a "wild-assed assumption,"  to assume that the information he accessed and/or downloaded was subsequently compromised.  That is responsible risk management and mitigation.  To assume anything less would be irresponsible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If he had the information in his control, and he took it to Russia, it has to be assumed that he gave it to them, or that they ended up with it.

ALL of that information must then be considered compromised.

Just like when someone is taken prisoner in wartime, you HAVE to assume that everything THEY knew, then enemy now knows. If that included pending operations or sensitive capabilities, those ops are cancelled, and the capability if now worthless.

Do you assume that I rape someone every time I fly to another country with my penis attached?

I cut out your "explanation" because it wasn't an explanation. It was an assumption without ANY factual support, which is my entire point.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:09:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The quasi-intelligent search routine he has running in the background opens a prompt window for him.
View Quote

Damn you young guys are so much better at this stuff than I am.

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:09:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

China's an odd duck. It takes a lot of work learning to understand their culture, the way they think, and what motivates their decision making process.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:09:24 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

How can you not admire this guy?
View Quote

You need to get on the winning team son.  Lets bring home a big victory.

Snowden is a traitor because he helped the bogyman evil commies.

If Snowden was good man, he wouldn't flee to Russia.

Sure the government might of bent a few laws and violated the US Constituion, but they only did it to protect OUR FREEDOM.  Why do you hate freedom?

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:09:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Don't do it Snowden!
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:10:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Do you assume that I rape someone every time I fly to another country with my penis attached?

I cut out your "explanation" because it wasn't an explanation. It was an assumption without ANY factual support, which is my entire point.
View Quote

Damn that was a rather explicit example!!

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:11:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Because he is dishonest.  
View Quote

You have fucking balls to call ME dishonest, when you're here accusing someone of handing over information to the Russians without ANY factual basis whatsoever?

OK, champ.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:12:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:13:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Let the traitor rot in Russia. He should visit a gulag in Siberia and check out the deluxe privacy suites. Prisons in America are vacation destinations in comparison. When Putin is tired of the useful idiot, he'll discover the glorious human rights of Russia from a new light all be it a very dim one. He dug his hole and he can spend the rest of his life in it for all I care.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:13:26 AM EDT
[#26]
I have no comment on his actions.

What I don't understand is why he wants to come back.   Prison sucks.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:14:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:15:32 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Or maybe he isn't a traitor loving moron who enjoys the site.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Josh shitting in another Snowden thread.

I can't help but wonder if Josh is paid by the feds to post.  That would be a conspiracy theory, so its not possible.

One mans hero is to another man a boot licking statist.

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:15:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have no comment on his actions.

What I don't understand is why he wants to come back.   Prison sucks.
View Quote

My guess is that he's stopped being of value to Russia and they're not treating him well any more.  If they just dropped all his special treatment and told him he was going to have to find a job and work like a regular Russian citizenship, I can imagine going to an American jail would be better.  

There's also the possibility that he just really misses home and his family.  Even if he's in jail, he would still get to see his family during visits.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:17:26 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm good with him coming back and doing life at Pelican bay.

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:18:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

You make no sense, whatsoever.

No, it is an accurate and factual description of how information is compromised.  The only point you seem to be making is an announcement of your ignorance.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:18:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Because his "explanation" doesn't actually expand or explain anything. He just assumes that Snowden took information to Russia and then assumes that because he took it there (if he did), that he shared it. That's the full "explanation" he provides, which is about as coherent as assuming that I raped someone in London because I flew there and brought my penis with me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh, if you go to Russia and it is well understood you are carrying a giant trove of sensitive U.S. intelligence information, the Russians are going to end up with that information.  The "how" part is the only question.  It is an assumption on the same level as assuming that the sky will be blue tomorrow or that the sun will rise in the East tomorrow - there are certainly exceptions that might cause either one not to be true; but on the whole, historical data gives very high probability to those outcomes.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:18:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Sure thing buddy

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure thing buddy

Would you like a list so you can avoid those threads?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:20:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Would you like a list so you can avoid those threads?
View Quote

I would be more interested in your giving me your alert system provided at your work desk.

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:20:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:20:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Let me ask you a question, to help with that decision.  If you had found those abuses and needed to do something about it, would you release information on how our allies spied on our enemies, such as the UK spying on Russia?  Would you release information on how the NSA spies on other nations, which is exactly what they are supposed to do?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
BTW, for you military guys who agree with him and think what he did was right, why don't you just do the right thing and go in tomorrow and tell your security manager you need to have your clearance revoked.

I still haven't made my mind up about Snowden and it hinges on one thing, really.

I like to think of myself as a "of the people, for the people" patriot and if I had knowledge about secret, sweeping constitutional abuses I know I'd feel a pressing responsibility to do bring them out in the open. My problem is that I don't know what different, realistic options he had at his disposal to accomplish that. Those of you critical of the man, how would you have gone about it differently? Or would you have just let it go?

Let me ask you a question, to help with that decision.  If you had found those abuses and needed to do something about it, would you release information on how our allies spied on our enemies, such as the UK spying on Russia?  Would you release information on how the NSA spies on other nations, which is exactly what they are supposed to do?

So, your answer is that you would have only released the information that pertained to domestic policies? I have no idea how that info was bundled....was that an option?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:20:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
We need more Snowdens and less government stooges.

There I said it.
View Quote

Statist despise him, but he put his life on the line to warn the American people that their government was collecting their emails and phone conversations, so he's OK in my book.

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:21:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

One man's hero is another man's traitor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Josh shitting in another Snowden thread.

I can't help but wonder if Josh is paid by the feds to post.  That would be a conspiracy theory, so its not possible.

One mans hero is to another man a boot licking statist.

One man's hero is another man's traitor.

How the fuck did we get to this level of discourse!!??

Calm down now children.

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:21:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You have fucking balls to call ME dishonest, when you're here accusing someone of handing over information to the Russians without ANY factual basis whatsoever?

OK, champ.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because he is dishonest.  

OK, champ.

I stated that he had information which MUST now be assumed to be compromised, regardless of whether we know for certain that he gave it to them.  We must assume that they have the information.  To do otherwise would be stupid and irresponsible.

The next time you lose your wallet, will you NOT cancel the credit cards, because you refuse to "assume" that whoever has them will use them?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:21:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The thing is did he really change anything?
View Quote

No. As long as people are more concerned with their facebook account than their personal freedoms and the government, nothing with ever change.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:22:01 AM EDT
[#41]
I wonder if he actually found the birth certificate?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:22:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Uh, if you go to Russia and it is well understood you are carrying a giant trove of sensitive U.S. intelligence information, the Russians are going to end up with that information.  The "how" part is the only question.  It is an assumption on the same level as assuming that the sky will be blue tomorrow or that the sun will rise in the East tomorrow - there are certainly exceptions that might cause either one not to be true; but on the whole, historical data gives very high probability to those outcomes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So in other words, it's an assumption. There are no specific facts to support the allegation that Snowden gave sensitive information to the Russians in particular.

The information he took was "compromised" the moment he took it out the door at work. Before he even got on a plane.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:22:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Damn, I could have sworn he gave some sort of "hard" data to the Russians.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nobody really knows what he did or didn't do, at least not that they're telling, beyond what's been released in the media.

Damn, I could have sworn he gave some sort of "hard" data to the Russians.

Some people make the assumption that he gave information to the Russians. That's based entirely on their view of his actions, not on any evidence.

As we should all know by now, it's possible that he didn't have any information which the Russians (and the Chinese, and the government of Uruguay, for that matter) didn't already have. US information security is terrible.
About the only people the US government manages to keep in the dark about these matters is the American people.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:22:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:23:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I stated that he had information which MUST now be assumed to be compromised, regardless of whether we know for certain that he gave it to them.  We must assume that they have the information.  To do otherwise would be stupid and irresponsible.

The next time you lose your wallet, will you NOT cancel the credit cards, because you refuse to "assume" that whoever has them will use them?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because he is dishonest.  

OK, champ.

Of course, but that's not the same thing as making a specific statement that it was taken by my cousin and handed to the Russian mafia, in an effort to smear my cousin. Now is it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:23:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

So, your answer is that you would have only released the information that pertained to domestic policies? I have no idea how that info was bundled....was that an option?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
BTW, for you military guys who agree with him and think what he did was right, why don't you just do the right thing and go in tomorrow and tell your security manager you need to have your clearance revoked.

I still haven't made my mind up about Snowden and it hinges on one thing, really.

I like to think of myself as a "of the people, for the people" patriot and if I had knowledge about secret, sweeping constitutional abuses I know I'd feel a pressing responsibility to do bring them out in the open. My problem is that I don't know what different, realistic options he had at his disposal to accomplish that. Those of you critical of the man, how would you have gone about it differently? Or would you have just let it go?

It is pretty clear from later interviews that the best case scenario is Snowden didn't even know he had such information because he was just kind of hoovering up whatever he could get and didn't have the knowledge or time to actually know important details of several of the programs he uncovered.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:24:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Some people make the assumption that he gave information to the Russians. That's based entirely on their view of his actions, not on any evidence.

As we should all know by now, it's possible that he didn't have any information which the Russians (and the Chinese, and the government of Uruguay, for that matter) didn't already have. US information security is terrible.
About the only people the US government manages to keep in the dark about these matters is the American people.
View Quote

I realize I am probably wrong on the hard drives, etc., but "possible" is kinda remote in the context you are using IMHO.

Otherwise why wouldn't they have told him "get the fuck out"?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:25:57 AM EDT
[#48]
All I get from what started this whole Snowden thing is..

Snowden: "The NSA spys on everyone in the US"

US Gov't: "GET ME SNOWDEN! ARREST HIM"

What else am I missing?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:27:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
All I get from what started this whole Snowden thing is..

Snowden: "The NSA spys on everyone in the US"

US Gov't: "GET ME SNOWDEN! ARREST HIM"

What else am I missing?
View Quote

Snowden gave classified info to our enemies?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:27:11 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
He went there first, remember?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Russia's not a human rights paradise, eh?

Maybe he should try China next

He went there first, remember?

Where was he ultimately trying to go?  Russia was not his desired destination.

Page / 19
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top