Page / 19
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:32:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Lol they said they won't torture me...
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:33:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

From what I actually know, I agree with the quote above. Hopefully he can come back after 2016 and get a fair trial.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I still feel he made the right call. He's a brave dude despite his appearance, that would take some serious fucking sack to come out with.

From what I actually know, I agree with the quote above. Hopefully he can come back after 2016 and get a fair trial.

I doubt he'll get a fair trial either way.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:33:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

We have no idea what he did or did not turn over.  However, there's only one way they grant him asylum, and that's if he talks.  So he can claim he didn't tell them anything all day long, nobody fucking believes him. Traitors don't have any credibility anywhere with anyone except the willfully ignorant.

View Quote

You mean like when Clapper tells things to Congress, under oath?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:35:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The thing is did he really change anything?
View Quote

Nope. No one will remember him in 2-3 years (except the long memory of government).
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:35:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Source?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why did he turn over his four hard drives to the Russians?

Only to gain asylum?

Or to give them classified information also?

Source?

I thought he travelled with them?

Maybe he turned them over to the Guardian?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:35:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Only to gain asylum?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He didn't change shit. The only thing he accomplished was giving the Russkies a shitload of information on US intelligence.

People who don't like Snowden keep saying this, and yet I have not seen a single credible source for this claim.

Unless you're just talking about the general stuff that he gave to EVERYONE by handing it over to the media. But that's not the same thing as "giving it to the Russkies."

Only to gain asylum?

Because the Chinese didn't want them?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:36:32 AM EDT
[#7]
We used to hang traitors...
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:36:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only to gain asylum?

Source?

From what I remember, he turned everything over to Glenn Greenwald and one other journalist. He claims he no longer has anything (believe him or not).

I've not seen any credible source for the claim that he handed anything over to the Russians.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:36:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only to gain asylum?

Source?

Nobody really knows what he did or didn't do, at least not that they're telling, beyond what's been released in the media.

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:37:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He didn't change shit. The only thing he accomplished was giving the Russkies a shitload of information on US intelligence.

People who don't like Snowden keep saying this, and yet I have not seen a single credible source for this claim.

Unless you're just talking about the general stuff that he gave to EVERYONE by handing it over to the media. But that's not the same thing as "giving it to the Russkies."

Only to gain asylum?

Chinese already have all our info, so nothing to gain
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:37:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That tends to happen when the government keeps everything secret. Which is kind of the whole problem here.

What we DO know is that our own government secretly engaged in systematic, suspicionless, mass surveillance of US. We KNOW they are fucking dirtbags of the highest order. Snowden is at worst an unknown.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We (the public) have absolutely no fuckin' idea what else he passed on to the Russians or anyone else -  or what he will eventually leak.

At this point, if you've already passed judgement on him, you are a fool.

That tends to happen when the government keeps everything secret. Which is kind of the whole problem here.

What we DO know is that our own government secretly engaged in systematic, suspicionless, mass surveillance of US. We KNOW they are fucking dirtbags of the highest order. Snowden is at worst an unknown.

That just follows in the footsteps of the Founding Fathers.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:37:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe I am remembering wrong?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:37:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only to gain asylum?

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:38:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

From what I remember, he turned everything over to Glenn Greenwald and one other journalist. He claims he no longer has anything (believe him or not).

I've not seen any credible source for the claim that he handed anything over to the Russians.
View Quote

Yeah, maybe I am confusing the Guardian with the Russians.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:38:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

As I've said in other threads, I'd entertain that option as long as we hang ALL of them. Snowden, Clapper, the FISC judges who approved this, anyone involved in directing the creation and operation of the mass surveillance systems.

Clean the whole fucking house.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:38:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hopefully he can come back after 2016 and get a fair trial.
View Quote

He should wait and see if James "least untruthful" Clapper gets a far trial on a perjury charge.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:38:49 AM EDT
[#17]
When will the government prosecute those at OPM who, through negligence, leaked more classified info on all US Gov employees (and fingerprints) than Snowden could have ever dreamt?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:39:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I still feel he made the right call. He's a brave dude despite his appearance, that would take some serious fucking sack to come out with.

He's not going to get a trial.  That's the whole point of the exchange he is having with the American government - they are discussing what crimes he is going to confess to if he comes back and whether that will be sufficient to please the United States.  And frankly, given the information he had access to and the people who are "sheltering" him now, a promise of "We won't torture you" with no other guarantees is already a pretty good step up from where he is likely at.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:40:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

He should wait and see if James "least untruthful" Clapper gets a far trial on a perjury charge.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hopefully he can come back after 2016 and get a fair trial.

He should offer to serve the same sentence as Clapper. Seems more than fair to me.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:41:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Now they're just appointed to important jobs.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:42:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:42:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
BTW, for you military guys who agree with him and think what he did was right, why don't you just do the right thing and go in tomorrow and tell your security manager you need to have your clearance revoked.

View Quote

I still haven't made my mind up about Snowden and it hinges on one thing, really.

I like to think of myself as a "of the people, for the people" patriot and if I had knowledge about secret, sweeping constitutional abuses I know I'd feel a pressing responsibility to do bring them out in the open. My problem is that I don't know what different, realistic options he had at his disposal to accomplish that. Those of you critical of the man, how would you have gone about it differently? Or would you have just let it go?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:42:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Nobody really knows what he did or didn't do, at least not that they're telling, beyond what's been released in the media.

View Quote

Damn, I could have sworn he gave some sort of "hard" data to the Russians.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:42:30 AM EDT
[#24]
If my options were life in prison here or constant hounding by Russia's security services I'm pretty sure I'd just hang myself.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:42:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only to gain asylum?

Point of order, the Russians are better at the cyber warfare stuff than the Chinese.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:43:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The .gov does not keep a list of gun owners.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well we don't REALLY know, but Congress did revoke the authority for at least one of the NSA mass collection programs. Whether they have stopped or will stop is something we don't know, because 'turrism and 'Merica and stuff.

The .gov does not keep a list of gun owners.

Yup, and there's even a federal law enacted by Congress that bars them from doing so. I'm sure it's scrupulously followed.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:43:46 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote

Things probably changed internally to better secure the information.

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:44:27 AM EDT
[#28]
The Russians won't let him leave.  Alive.  Until they have everything they need.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:44:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Point of order, the Russians are better at the cyber warfare stuff than the Chinese.
View Quote

I wonder how much of this stuff goes on between China and Russia?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:45:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's true. I bet they're a lot more careful now with their IT contractors.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:45:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I still haven't made my mind up about Snowden and it hinges on one thing, really.

I like to think of myself as a "of the people, for the people" patriot and if I had knowledge about secret, sweeping constitutional abuses I know I'd feel a pressing responsibility to do bring them out in the open. My problem is that I don't know what different, realistic options he had at his disposal to accomplish that. Those of you critical of the man, how would you have gone about it differently? Or would you have just let it go?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
BTW, for you military guys who agree with him and think what he did was right, why don't you just do the right thing and go in tomorrow and tell your security manager you need to have your clearance revoked.

There is actually a really good article where William Bridges (an NSA whistleblower with decades at the agency) and several other NSA whistleblowers discuss that exact thing re: Snowden.  If you Google, you can probably find it.  It is a bit dated and before the full extent of what he handed over became apparent; but a good read.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:46:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Now we let them conduct state business on private email servers and reap the rewards from their activities under the guise of a non-profit.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:46:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where do you think the destroyed NICS check information is still kept?

FBI?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:48:28 AM EDT
[#34]
mark my words.  he will be used in a prisoner exchange when either we capture a russian pilot via rebels in syria or kgb officer gets caught here
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:49:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
We need more Snowdens and less government stooges.

There I said it.
View Quote

I like whistle blowers that rat on Government shadiness, but I question why Snowden would go to Russia and divulge any of our secrets with them.  There are many here who view him as a traitor.  Some for being a whistle blower which I think more people should do, or for running to our former Cold War adversary which causes me to suspect them of actually being so.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:51:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Boo hoo, George Washington was not a true patriot, he accepted aid from the French
View Quote

French=Cold War adversary.  I now know never to place any stock in what mdk89 says about anything.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:51:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Josh shitting in another Snowden thread.

I can't help but wonder if Josh is paid by the feds to post.  That would be a conspiracy theory, so its not possible.

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:52:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Obama probably doesn't want him back because of all of the fanfare involved.
They are afraid he'd be treated as a hero on the internet better to let him stay a man without a country
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:53:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

A hatred of the fed gov. drove Timothy McVeigh to murder 168 Americans. Does that make him a hero, too?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There I said it.

Agreed, but he also leaked stuff about us spying on foreigners and foreign countries, which is a shitty thing to do, and he probably should be executed for it. Shake his hand, give him a medal, then execute him, I suppose.

We (the public) have absolutely no fuckin' idea what else he passed on to the Russians or anyone else -  or what he will eventually leak.

At this point, if you've already passed judgement on him, you are a fool.

We will never know the truth.  The only truth I know is fuck the fed gov.   Bunch of commie fucktards.

A hatred of the fed gov. drove Timothy McVeigh to murder 168 Americans. Does that make him a hero, too?

No, but he did not direct his attack against commie fucktards.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:54:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I like whistle blowers that rat on Government shadiness, but I question why Snowden would go to Russia and divulge any of our secrets with them.  There are many here who view him as a traitor.  Some for being a whistle blower which I think more people should do, or for running to our former Cold War adversary which causes me to suspect them of actually being so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There I said it.

The problem is that the government didn't view its own activities as shady. They had all their paperwork in order from the special secret court and the AG's office. This wasn't a typical "whistleblower" case where there was some obvious fraud going on.

As far as Russia goes, the suspicions there are understandable, but if you look at how Snowden's travels unfolded, it doesn't look like he intended to end up there at all. The U.S. government - wittingly or unwittingly - trapped him there by yanking his passport.

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:55:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me ask you a question, to help with that decision.  If you had found those abuses and needed to do something about it, would you release information on how our allies spied on our enemies, such as the UK spying on Russia?  Would you release information on how the NSA spies on other nations, which is exactly what they are supposed to do?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:56:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably not as much as a Cold War vet might think.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:56:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Fuck him. Enjoy your borscht mother fucker. If he hadn't gone to the Russians then I would say give him 5 years in Club Fed and then forget the whole thing. But if you sell out to the Russians then you can rot in Siberia for all I care.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck him. Enjoy your borscht mother fucker. If he hadn't gone to the Russians then I would say give him 5 years in Club Fed and then forget the whole thing. But if you sell out to the Russians then you can rot in Siberia for all I care.

Don't forget the Chinese first...although I'm pretty sure they already had what he was offering.

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:58:34 AM EDT
[#44]
He may not have even given the Russians anything, either, but he does have a value as a propaganda tool, obviously.

They've been playing the American right with the Snowden bow like their own personal fiddle.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:58:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Interesting.........I would have assumed ALOT.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:59:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That proof is not necessary.  

If he had the information in his control, and he took it to Russia, it has to be assumed that he gave it to them, or that they ended up with it.

ALL of that information must then be considered compromised.

Just like when someone is taken prisoner in wartime, you HAVE to assume that everything THEY knew, then enemy now knows.  If that included pending operations or sensitive capabilities, those ops are cancelled, and the capability if now worthless.

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:59:54 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote

Another Snowden thread shitter.

Its like an alert goes out and the same 5 people show up to shit in the thread.

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:00:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

If he had the information in his control, and he took it to Russia, it has to be assumed that he gave it to them, or that they ended up with it.

Just like when someone is taken prisoner in wartime, you HAVE to assume that everything THEY knew, then enemy now knows.  If that included pending operations or sensitive capabilities, those ops are cancelled, and the capability if now worthless.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kinda like how the Taliban upped their game after Bergdahl went over.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:01:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a surprising statement coming from you.

By your flawless line of logic, I should be making all sorts of wild-ass assumptions about how the U.S. government uses its enormous theoretical surveillance capabilities against innocent Americans as well, right? I mean, I don't have any proof, but look at the history and circumstances here, right?

I'm sure you'll respond with all sorts of bullshit reasons for why "that's not the same."
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:02:46 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Now we let them conduct state business on private email servers and reap the rewards from their activities under the guise of a non-profit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Others take classified information and give it to foreign governments.  Mouthbreathers praise them when a subset of that info is used by our enemies as propaganda.
Page / 19
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top