Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 7:31:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I have not and probably won't upgrade my desktop to 10. I'm still on 8.1 and I like it as is.

I do like the new devices MS has come out with. Frankly, the Surface Book looks kick-fucking-ass. I was almost considering picking up a Surface Pro, but wanted to wait until the 4 was out. Now they have the Surface Book out, I'm ALMOST sold on getting one of those later this year or early next year. It'll come with 10 on it, and that's fine with me. For my mobile use, that's perfectly fine.

I use a 2013 MacBook Pro Retina right now, and it's still running perfectly fine, so I don't need to move to something else any time soon. One thing I want to know about the Surface Book is if the SD card slot (which is full size) allows a standard SD card to sit completely inside it, not sticking out. My MBP has an SD slot, but a regular SD card sticks out about 1/3 of the way. The reason I want to know is that I'd likely buy a base model SB with only 128GB internal storage and 8GB RAMs. I'd then want to pick up a 256GB SD card for mass storage to put in it, and leave in it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 7:36:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't even....

100% of the stuff in red is easily done in the Win10 start menu. The rest is just bitching over the hand and hue of the throw pillows.
View Quote

Still haven't received my upgrade!

Can I install it in the background and still surf Arfcom at the same time?
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 7:38:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Not one issue yet ! Always had issues with the other platforms..
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 7:45:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I have it on my laptop, desktop and HP Stream tablet and I really like it so far.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:45:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Sadly when I tried to update myself..........I got a compatibility error.........appears my computer might be too old to run Windows 10.

Of course, I could be missing something but I get error code 0x800900f-0x90002 and nothing I try can overcome it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:56:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Sadly when I tried to update myself..........I got a compatibility error.........appears my computer might be too old to run Windows 10.

Of course, I could be missing something but I get error code 0x800900f-0x90002 and nothing I try can overcome it.
View Quote

Try this first.

If that doesn't work, try the stuff above the advanced troubleshooting line.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 5:46:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Just installed it for the first time.

Installation from a USB3 thumbdrive is blazing fast.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:34:16 AM EDT
[#8]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try this first.

Thanks I did the Direct X thing but it didn't help............let me try the next one..........THANKS!

ETA:  The second link takes me back to the Direct X screen and I don't see an advanced troubleshooting line?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:11:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanks I did the Direct X thing but it didn't help............let me try the next one..........THANKS!

ETA:  The second link takes me back to the Direct X screen and I don't see an advanced troubleshooting line?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try this first.

Fixed.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:17:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Fixed.
View Quote

Thanks, I'll try that method.

ETA:  This is embarrassing........I don't have any blank disks..............fuck!
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:35:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:01:56 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm thinking about upgrading my main PC this weekend. I have already done my tablet when it first came out, only issue that I don't like are the updates done automatically. I would like to chose when to reboot.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:04:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm thinking about upgrading my main PC this weekend. I have already done my tablet when it first came out, only issue that I don't like are the updates done automatically. I would like to chose when to reboot.
View Quote

You can turn off automatic updating just like in Win 7 and previous versions.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:06:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And schedule the reboots for that matter.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:21:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to hear this, I will look into doing it that way.
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:50:21 AM EDT
[#16]
I've had it on my mostly offline laptop for a couple of months now.

The fit/finish is better than 8.1 and it's probably faster too.

My only real complaint is the stupid splash screen they put on the embedded programs. The calculator hasn't needed one since Windows 1.0, there's no reason to start now.

Maybe some day I'll install 10 on my main computer that's running 7, but I'd rather the nerds fully obfuscate all that telemetry crap before all that "user experience" data they're collecting turns into supplemental income.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:49:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

You can only do that in Win10 Pro.  Win10 Home you get the critical/important updates but you can schedule the reboot.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 11:57:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Been six days now. I can't speak for under the hood improvements, but so far I'm regretting "upgrading". Windows 7 on my machine was smoother, faster, and most importantly had a lot less quirks. I just had Windows Explorer crash on me several times just trying to create a new folder on my Android phone. Never used to be an issue with W7.

Something else minor that I've noticed. I frequently use Notepad for quick notes, and have it set as a shortcut with the F7 key. With W7 if I hit the F7 key, it was almost instantaneous that Notepad would pop up. W10 takes anywhere from 5-10 seconds typically, which I think is absurd.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 10:55:42 AM EDT
[#19]
I just installed Win10 Enterprise this weekend.  Was using Win7.   Bought a new CPU, motherboard, and RAM, and decided to take the opportunity to try 10 since I was planning to reformat anyway.

(I went from an i7-930 to an i7-6700 and from 6 to 16 GB of RAM).
So far, I have to say I actually like it.  It is 1000 times better and more intuitive than Windows 8.  When I tried Windows 8, I had to Google how to do EVERYTHING.  I mean every little move.  It was the most unintuitive OS I have ever tried and was a total pile.  I can't imagine the support nightmare we'd have had deploying it to our employees.  *shudder*

It looks like Windows 10 is what Windows 8 should have been to begin with, just as 7 was what Vista should have been.  I've had to Google a few things here and there, but nothing like 8.  Most everything is pretty much where I expect it to be.

Installation from a USB thumb drive was a breeze and significantly faster than from a disk.  One less reason to keep an optical drive around.

That was the first time I've tried that.  I downloaded an ISO from MSDN and used a free app to make a bootable thumb drive from it.  I will be using that method for OS installs from now on.
I have had zero crashes and no driver problems so far.  Heck, it even saw and loaded a driver for one of my two network printers completely automatically.  It was just sitting there in the Printer list the first time I opened it.

It is incredibly fast to boot up and shut down.  I'm sure part of that is the new CPU, but a big part is the OS.  I am using the same SSD I used for 7.

I like the login experience better than 7.  Seems very polished and smooth as does the UI in general.

I haven't tried any games yet.  I'll have to see if it handles that okay.
The only two irritations I have found so far:

1)  There is no way to stop updates from installing.  I understand why they did it, but there are a few updates here and there that I would like to be able to skip.  Especially if they ever decide to repeat that shitty Win10 ad they put in the system tray of 7 and 8 users.  At least there is an option to delay installation of new features for those who would prefer to let someone else find the initial-release bugs.  I haven't yet investigated what this means for corporate environments with WSUS servers.  I'll have to look into that.
2)  I have a secondary drive that has a static data file that takes up almost the whole disk.  Windows warns me every 5 minutes that the disk is almost full.  That's irritating as hell.  There is no way in the UI to disable the warning, and the registry edit suggestions I've found so far in a brief Google search had no effect.  I would LOVE to be able to disable it for just that one drive and not all of them, anyway.  If I can't find a solution, I will have to reduce the size of that data file and not use all the available disk space just to avoid the warning.
TL/DR:

A few minor gripes aside, I have to say I really like Windows 10 so far.

Link Posted: 10/20/2015 1:15:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't even....

100% of the stuff in red is easily done in the Win10 start menu. The rest is just bitching over the hand and hue of the throw pillows.

I never did either.  I finally just went to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and downloaded it.  

Be sure your existing copy of Windows is activated before you try to install.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 12:54:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Just downloaded it, took 3.5 hours I had Win 8.1 on a year old Dell laptop.
so far I think it's an improvement
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 2:20:35 PM EDT
[#22]
I was to the point the other day that I was considering reverting to Windows 7.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top