Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:47:28 PM EDT
[#1]
windows 7 works well enough for me.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:48:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You serious bruh?

It might be time to install it on my Win 8 laptop.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's their best OS to date.

You serious bruh?

I've put it on a couple of older machines back to early XP stuff and it's been fine on all of them.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:50:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I've put it on a couple of older machines back to early XP stuff and it's been fine on all of them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You serious bruh?

Same. Only non-Windows 10 box I have is running Server 2008 R2. I even dug up some older stuff that I had stopped using just to put 10 on them.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:52:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Switched to 10 from 8 on my laptop. I worked ok for a few weeks, but now I get some type of BSOD error  and restart about everyday. I'm past the 30 day rollback window. Is there any way to re-install 10 and try again?
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:54:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I like it. Seems to open programs faster than 7 did on mine. Way big improvement over that POS 8.

No issues so far.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:56:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Switched to 10 from 8 on my laptop. I worked ok for a few weeks, but now I get some type of BSOD error  and restart about everyday. I'm past the 30 day rollback window. Is there any way to re-install 10 and try again?
View Quote

Download the image using the Media Creation Tool and do a fresh install. Hit skip when it asks for a product key.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:56:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Back up everything and go to Settings > Update & Security > Recovery. Then Reset your PC.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 10:10:13 PM EDT
[#8]
best running Windows yet
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 10:15:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Download the image using the Media Creation Tool and do a fresh install. Hit skip when it asks for a product key.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok. Thanks. I'm going to try this tomorrow after I pick up some DVD's or a big thumbdrive.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 10:17:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Back up everything and go to Settings > Update & Security > Recovery. Then Reset your PC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you. I didn't realize it was that simple. I'm going to get some type of large media and give it a go.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 10:34:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

As a heart attack. Note: Most of what makes it awesome are under the hood improvements, and arfcommers who aren't in IT never discuss them (or care) in threads like this.

I'm honestly not interested in discussing operating systems superficially. There are probably 10 or fewer people on this site who's educated opinion on operating systems are worth listening to, and they almost never post in these threads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You serious bruh?

As a heart attack. Note: Most of what makes it awesome are under the hood improvements, and arfcommers who aren't in IT never discuss them (or care) in threads like this.

I'm honestly not interested in discussing operating systems superficially. There are probably 10 or fewer people on this site who's educated opinion on operating systems are worth listening to, and they almost never post in these threads.

Blah blah blah. Where is the fuckng pinball game?
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 10:38:45 PM EDT
[#12]
It's looking like my campus will be moving to it sooner rather than later. Very stoked.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 10:46:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I like it over the 8.1 my Lenovo came with.  Oh yeah, the Start programs thing is back!
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 10:47:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You serious bruh?

Pinball FX2 (in the app store)? Free?

I dunno, it seems way better?
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 10:52:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I concur.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 10:57:25 PM EDT
[#16]
So far it's pretty good.  Seems a little quicker than 7, but I haven't timed it.

However, it's totally worth it with a 4K monitor.  The scaling in Windows 7 and Windows 8 SUCKS.  Not many apps supported the native scaling, so many app menus were extremely small.  Now it seems like they all scale in 10.  What's also cool is that you can adjust the DPI for each monitor independently.  A 4K monitor with a 1080p monitor next to it works surprisingly well.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 10:58:12 PM EDT
[#17]
One of the laptops run Windows 10 well, and the other one stroked out on Windows 10.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:03:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If you have so much stuff pinned to the Start Menu that you have to scroll then you have way more items on it than Windows 7 ever had, so I don't get your complaint.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I forgot that I did find the setting to add the documents folder to the start menu but if you know of a way to replace the live tiles with a list I'm all ears.  My problem is I can't make the tiles small enough to avoid scrolling in the start menu, it's like using the large icons view in explorer compared to the detail view.  That one item on it's own is enough to make me switch start menus.

If you have so much stuff pinned to the Start Menu that you have to scroll then you have way more items on it than Windows 7 ever had, so I don't get your complaint.

You just want to ban high capacity start menus, you can pry it from my cold dead hands.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:10:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So far it's pretty good.  Seems a little quicker than 7, but I haven't timed it.

However, it's totally worth it with a 4K monitor.  The scaling in Windows 7 and Windows 8 SUCKS.  Not many apps supported the native scaling, so many app menus were extremely small.  Now it seems like they all scale in 10.  What's also cool is that you can adjust the DPI for each monitor independently.  A 4K monitor with a 1080p monitor next to it works surprisingly well.
View Quote

Eh I've used it with a 4k screen.  The scaling sucks compared to the scaling on a retina Mac.  Some stuff scales just fine, other stuff is fuzzy.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:11:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Common problem after the update. You need to change the memory pages to custom.

Just google win 10 lag and memory issues for more info

Btw op win 10 is buggy and crashes alot with games
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
freezes up my machine.  Back to 7 for me.

Common problem after the update. You need to change the memory pages to custom.

Just google win 10 lag and memory issues for more info

Btw op win 10 is buggy and crashes alot with games

I won't know for some time. I have a 5 yo Dell that does what I want with no issues at an acceptable rate. M/S will support it until it dies. If I upgrade, something is more than likely to screw up. I'm not interested in googling this and that to try and fix things. When this box dies I'll reinstall maybe half the crap on this one, see what works on 10 and march on.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:39:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

reseat the card in the slot, and check with vender for a updated bios for the card.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

really?!? no issue here with latest Beta drivers.. Im on a 970

Really really.  Sometimes the video is scrambled when I first boot the PC(not the bios boot screens).  Other times the video will scramble after the computer has been on for a few hours.  All was fine with the Video card before I upgraded from Win 7.

reseat the card in the slot, and check with vender for a updated bios for the card.

That may have done the trick.  I let it run for a few hours last night after reseat and all was well.  Not an exhaustive test but encouraging.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:24:38 AM EDT
[#22]
I've got an older (2011) Windows 7 laptop that's pretty much unresponsive for several minutes after login.

I've tried deleting files and programs, running CCleaner, and running updates, and I'm not having much luck.

I'm wondering if upgrading to Windows 10 will help.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:43:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've got an older (2011) Windows 7 laptop that's pretty much unresponsive for several minutes after login.

I've tried deleting files and programs, running CCleaner, and running updates, and I'm not having much luck.

View Quote

It did on my sons laptop.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 12:39:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the change in baseline resource usage alone should help.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 12:56:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Win 10 works fine for me for the most part, but I still have a bug with the audio. I dont know if they will ever fix it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 1:01:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I love it. Boots up and shuts down much faster than 7
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just installed it earlier this morning. So far I'm not at all impressed. Windows 7 was running faster for me.

Yep. Way faster startup and shutdown, even on older computers. I'm using it on my work laptop. It's fine. It's an OS. I need it to run Office, edit pics, and run my browser. Not sure how it'd work for gaming, which is by far the MOST important thing a PC should be used for.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 1:04:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yep. Way faster startup and shutdown, even on older computers. I'm using it on my work laptop. It's fine. It's an OS. I need it to run Office, edit pics, and run my browser. Not sure how it'd work for gaming, which is by far the MOST important thing a PC should be used for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just installed it earlier this morning. So far I'm not at all impressed. Windows 7 was running faster for me.

I've got it on my home PC.  I haven't run much on it, but it has handled RIFT and Defiance fine.   Seems as good or better than 7 in that regard.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 1:05:22 PM EDT
[#28]
works great on my HP.  the only  thing that messed up was the finger print login.   figured out not to use the validity driver and to use the other one and its works now
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 1:12:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Anyone have any experience going from 2008R2 to Win10? I'm using 08R2 on my home PC, not as a server. For various reasons, I wouldn't mind moving to a consumer product.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 1:15:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Anyone have any experience going from 2008R2 to Win10? I'm using 08R2 on my home PC, not as a server. For various reasons, I wouldn't mind moving to a consumer product.
View Quote

That's different...

Without looking it up, I'm pretty certain there is no upgrade path from 2k8 to 10. Back up data, scratch install.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 1:15:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not really. I've played with / used 2012R2 a bit but overall I think Win10 would be better suited to typical use. Do you have a 7 or 8.1 key you could use to upgrade to 10 for free with?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 1:16:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Windows 10 is a solution in search of a problem for anybody running Vista, 7 or 8.1.

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 1:20:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Windows 10 is a solution in search of a problem for anybody running Vista, 7 or 8.1.

View Quote

Scratch Vista and I could probably be coaxed into agreement.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 1:20:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Speakers got quiet after update.
How do i fix?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 1:24:44 PM EDT
[#35]
I like it... You'll get use to it.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 1:54:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That's different...

Without looking it up, I'm pretty certain there is no upgrade path from 2k8 to 10. Back up data, scratch install.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's different...

Yeah, see below for the reasoning. I'll likely do what you suggest.

Quoted:
Quoted:

No keys. I've played with / used 2012R2 a bit but overall I think Win10 would be better suited to typical use. Do you have a 7 or 8.1 key you could use to upgrade to 10 for free with?

I don't. I got 08R2 under MS's old students get certain software for free program and it worked well enough to keep for years. Been rock solid and I set it to look and act basically like 7.
Just curious if there was an upgrade, but it doesn't really make sense that there would be.

I'll probably just buy it since I haven't had to pay for an OS in.... well I can't remember.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 1:56:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Installing now on an 8.1 machine. Hope it sucks less than that.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:30:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Really? Vista was a hot fart on a crowded bus, 7 is getting old with updates and patches piling up, and 8 has a poorly designed UI.

If Windows 10 is better than 7 under the hood, it should be an improvement over all three.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:35:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Speakers got quiet after update.
How do i fix?
View Quote

Details?

Are you on a laptop or desktop? Do you have any kind of special audio system?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:06:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Really? Vista was a hot fart on a crowded bus, 7 is getting old with updates and patches piling up, and 8 has a poorly designed UI.

If Windows 10 is better than 7 under the hood, it should be an improvement over all three.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have to wonder if 10 will have drivers for the fairly ancient hardware found in Vista machines.  And I'll still take the Vista GUI over the Windows 10 GUI any day of the week.

I consider the Windows 10 GUI a step backward from the Windows 7 GUI.  And Windows 7 is a very solid product.

I don't see much difference between the Windows 8.1 GUI and the Windows 10 GUI myself.  They both remind me of Playskool toys.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:38:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I have to wonder if 10 will have drivers for the fairly ancient hardware found in Vista machines.  And I'll still take the Vista GUI over the Windows 10 GUI any day of the week.

I consider the Windows 10 GUI a step backward from the Windows 7 GUI.  And Windows 7 is a very solid product.

I don't see much difference between the Windows 8.1 GUI and the Windows 10 GUI myself.  They both remind me of Playskool toys.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Driver support seems to be the catch for older systems.

From what I understand, Windows 10 has the potential to actually run better on older systems because it's less of a resource hog. On the other hand, manufacturers don't provide driver support for anything more than a couple years old.

I'm rolling the dice on a Toshiba P755D right now. We'll see how that goes.

I'll either be back in here posting in here that it works, or I'll be posting a Help Me! thread.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:31:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Windows 10 and free download of Classic Shell.  Zero problems and it looks very similar to Windows 7.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 12:06:38 AM EDT
[#43]
It's alive.

It may take a while for me to develop an opinion.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 4:27:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I have to wonder if 10 will have drivers for the fairly ancient hardware found in Vista machines.  
View Quote

In my testing, 10 should run on just about any machine made in the last 8-10 years without issue (drive wise that is).  Of course any machine that old would be slower than dog shit, but drivers shouldn't be the problem.

ETA:  This assumes we're talking about a pci-e box, and not some ungodly backwards AGP dinosaur.  I'm willing to bet AGP support in 10 is minimal or none.

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 11:16:47 AM EDT
[#45]
I tried it. I like it and I wished it worked, but it completely freezes up my computer. I thought my computer was pretty decent, but I guess not. Can't open more than two programs without a solid 2 minute delay. Can't open or watch videos. No sound at all. Can't log into iTunes due to some unknown error. When I shut down my computer it doesn't turn off now. The screen stays lit (just black). It's like Windows shuts down but it doesn't tell the computer to.

I hope I don't have any issues reinstalling 7.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 6:31:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I tried it. I like it and I wished it worked, but it completely freezes up my computer. I thought my computer was pretty decent, but I guess not. Can't open more than two programs without a solid 2 minute delay. Can't open or watch videos. No sound at all. Can't log into iTunes due to some unknown error. When I shut down my computer it doesn't turn off now. The screen stays lit (just black). It's like Windows shuts down but it doesn't tell the computer to.

I hope I don't have any issues reinstalling 7.
View Quote

OP,

3 possibilities

1: you did an upgrade install (instead of a clean install).  This often causes ALL sorts of weird problems.
2: one of your device drivers was seriously out of wack.  With M$ forcing driver updates over Windows Update, its quite possible they pushed a crappy driver onto you.
3. You have failing hardware.

My guess is #1.

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 7:07:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Clicked here to see what the general overall impression was.

I have been reading about some of the internal security improvements, and am interested to have a look.  Windows is mt the OS I specialize in, but it appears there have been some real steps in the right direction with the internals, so worth checking out.   Looked a bit at the future goals for edge, which seem very positive.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:03:33 PM EDT
[#48]
I installed W10 tonight after months of procrastinating. I used it for about 15 minutes and was so disgusted I uninstalled it. The day Windows 7 is no longer supported I will buy a Mac assuming they do not make their OS equally derpy by then.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:04:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Clicked here to see what the general overall impression was.

I have been reading about some of the internal security improvements, and am interested to have a look.  Windows is mt the OS I specialize in, but it appears there have been some real steps in the right direction with the internals, so worth checking out.   Looked a bit at the future goals for edge, which seem very positive.
View Quote

If so, I hate to read that you're getting first impressions on a fuckin' gun board, know what I mean?
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 7:14:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Eh I've used it with a 4k screen.  The scaling sucks compared to the scaling on a retina Mac.  Some stuff scales just fine, other stuff is fuzzy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, the fuzzy stuff appears to be the apps that didn't support the scaling in 7.  Too bad they didn't incorporate it as well, but that may be a limitation of the app.  

The problem with Mac supposedly doing it better is that I'd have to get a Mac, which would be far more annoying (and costly) than the fuzzy text in a few apps.  

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top