Page / 10
Posted: 10/4/2015 8:12:10 AM EDT

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Minnesota faces an employment
issue that doesn’t involve a lack of jobs — it’s too many openings, and
not enough qualified workers.

A study by the Manufacturing Institute concluded that over the next
decade, nearly 3.5 million manufacturing jobs will need to be filled in
the U.S. But with baby boomers retiring, and fewer young people gaining
these skills, about two million of those jobs will go unfilled.

"We have a skills gap,” Senator Al Franken (D-MN) said.  

Senator Franken is proposing the Community College to Career Fund Act

"Create grants that help businesses and community colleges train
workers for high-skilled, high paying, good jobs,” Senator Franken said.

View Quote
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2015/10/03/skills-gap-leaves-millions-of-manufacturing-jobs-vacant-in-minnesota/

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:15:58 AM EDT
[#1]
maybe the problem is minnessota.

nobody wants to live there.

especially when your senator is al franken.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:16:31 AM EDT
[#2]
That's what technical colleges are for...
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:17:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Truth.  And your ex governor is Jesse Ventura.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:19:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:19:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Minnesota faces an employment issue that doesn’t involve a lack of jobs — it’s too many openings, and not enough qualified workers.

A study by the Manufacturing Institute concluded that over the next decade, nearly 3.5 million manufacturing jobs will need to be filled in the U.S. But with baby boomers retiring, and fewer young people gaining these skills, about two million of those jobs will go unfilled.

"Create grants that help businesses and community colleges train workers for high-skilled, high paying, good jobs,” Senator Franken said.

View Quote
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2015/10/03/skills-gap-leaves-millions-of-manufacturing-jobs-vacant-in-minnesota/

View Quote

No, you have a wage and benefits gap. No one wants to do it cuz it pays shit fifty for what you do. Why do that when you can work the counter at Starbucks for the same amount, and they even pay for "collage" sometimes.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:23:35 AM EDT
[#6]
what does it pay?
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:24:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I am job hunting now getting ready to retire.

Some states are not considered.

Nothing north of DC.

Nothing West Coast
Wisconson, Minnessota, Michigan, North Dakota right out.  (combination of weather and politics, I could do Montana, Wyoming and Idaho) really debating Colorado right now.  PA and OH out.

Libtard states are going to continue to get worse and worse.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:28:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Good news for all of those Mellenials who can't find good jobs I guess.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:31:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Meanwhile 91 million working age Americans choose not to work causing a worker shortage.
Want to blame someone for illegal immigration? Blame those you know that are on SS "disability" welfare who require imported labor to fund their Bi-polar, Depression, AADD, headaches, etc and other bullshit disabilities.
The way I see it, if you can drive, you can work and make deliveries, if you can watch a computer monitor, you can be a plant guard. You can talk a phone you be a receptionist or telemarketer.

Start taking away drivers licenses from those too disabled to work. In order for them to collect benefits, make them stay in nursing homes so we can take care of them till they get better and are able to go back to work.

You'll see a miraculous recovery for millions.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:31:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Nothing north of DC.

Nothing West Coast
Wisconson, Minnessota, Michigan, North Dakota right out.  (combination of weather and politics, I could do Montana, Wyoming and Idaho) really debating Colorado right now.  PA and OH out.

View Quote

Move a little south and come to SC. Get a job a Boeing and chillout Charleston
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:33:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing north of DC.

Nothing West Coast

Friend of mine works in that plant.  Its on the list.  I have already been rejected a few times by Boeing
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:34:18 AM EDT
[#12]
In WI where i am, I know the guys who run 5 job centers.

They say, "If you're not working right now, it simply means you don't want to work."

We have running billboards all over looking to fill positions, mostly manufacturing and machining. The people I know in those businesses (I serve a lot of them) say they can't find people and when they do, they don't show up to work. Even the positions that pay over $20/hr

We've got a guy here with a well established stamping operation that just invested 20 million two years ago to expand the biz. he is still trying to fill idle equipment.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:34:29 AM EDT
[#13]
It's the companies fault, that put themselves in these situations wanting to play in a global market by accepting stupid European requirements. There is a reaon Europe sucks and America is great.

If it's anything like where I work they took normal jobs and turned them into engineering requirements. We had people who performed quality inspections, nothing hard and they slowly let these people retire or quit or fired them then reposted the positions with Engineering Degree requirements. Same with floor supervisors.

If you had an engineering degree......would you work for $9-$17/hour. That is why the positions are unfilled.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:39:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Fridley MN entry level manufacturing jobs are 11% lower than the national average starting pay.  Coincidence?
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:44:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Manufacturing's chickens coming home to roost.

Management thinks that $14-$20 an hour in today's world is ''high'' pay and skilled workers should flock to them.

Wake the F up management idiots, I doubt you're making 100 K like your position used to pay either.

Got tired of see all the [skilled] Tool and Die jobs posted locally, maybe that incredible $10-$13 an hour pay you were offering seems to be about what those guys were making 40 years ago. You know, when new cars were 5 grand and a decent new house had a payment of $200 a month.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:45:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:45:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

They say, "If you're not working right now, it simply means you don't want to work."

We have running billboards all over looking to fill positions, mostly manufacturing and machining. The people I know in those businesses (I serve a lot of them) say they can't find people and when they do, they don't show up to work. Even the positions that pay over $20/hr

We've got a guy here with a well established stamping operation that just invested 20 million two years ago to expand the biz. he is still trying to fill idle equipment.
View Quote

try the internet. no one looks at billboards anymore
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:46:13 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Good news for all of those Mellenials who can't find good jobs I guess.
View Quote

The problem is that they have been taught K-12 that trade schools are for drop outs and felons.  That you have to go to school for 4 years and get that "degree".

The trades are no longer taught in most schools.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:47:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That's what technical colleges are for...
View Quote

The educational administrators running them are making great money for doing a piss poor job nationally.
Vocational training in this nation is a joke.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:47:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Management thinks that $14-$20 an hour in today's world is ''high'' pay and skilled workers should flock to them.

Wake the F up management idiots, I doubt you're making 100 K like your position used to pay either.

Got tired of see all the [skilled] Tool and Die jobs posted locally, maybe that incredible $10-$13 an hour pay you were offering seems to be about what those guys were making 40 years ago. You know, when new cars were 5 grand and a decent new house had a payment of $200 a month.
View Quote

Don't forget to meet the "American standard of living" we need smart phones with data plans, 700 channels on the 50", and houses with man caves.  Maybe the expectations of the American worker are out of touch?
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:48:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The same issue exists in Ohio. The trades are dying off, literally and figuratively and there's not enough skilled people or interest to fill positions.

An example of this is that the Big 3 automotive manufacturers used to absolutely require a degree for an engineering position, there was no waiver or compromise.

That's no longer the case.
View Quote

25 years ago, firms "trained" people.  Few firms do that now.  It's expensive and time consuming to get "trained" for a specialized technical position and then go looking for a job.  It seems to me some of these openings must not really be needed.  The companies just continue on without filling them, or changing their approach on recruiting.

I keep hearing this a lot, "We can't fill positions".   Eventually you have to ask yourself a few questions.  IF you've had a position open for a long time, and have been unable to fill it it, why?  If you can't find someone with the credentials or experience, why not hire a good, smart candidate that you can teach the job to.  Hire for aptitude, instead of "credentials".  

To be honest a lot of the jobs don't really need college degrees or credentials.  In fact, a couple of decades ago a lot of them didn't even ask for them.  A reasonably intelligent person could learn to do the job in the time some of these positions are kept open unfilled.  The next question you have to ask yourself is why people don't seem to want the job.  Is the compensation package high enough?  Is the firm the kind of firm people like working at?  

It was announced this week that workforce participation rates hit a 38 year low.  38% of working aged adults aren't working.  U-6 unemployment is over 10%.  I have to believe if you have a good job, with a good compensation package, and your firm isn't hell to work for, in this environment if you're not filling openings you need to consider hiring a smart candidate with good aptitude ...and train them.  .
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:49:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:49:13 AM EDT
[#23]
A lot of stoners/dopers can't pass the piss test.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:50:00 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Nothing north of DC.

Nothing West Coast

View Quote
I thought retired military get fed jobs, retire from that after 20 years, and then when they are 60+ they triple dip from military, fed pensions plus SS.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:50:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Nothing north of DC.

Nothing West Coast

View Quote

I'm thinking the same way and I got under a year till I'm done, I think it's only a matter of time before Virginia goes belly up and the motto is worthless due to the influx of people that vote with feelings so if I stay it will probably be a job near the border with NC so I can live there if I need to.

This over all situation I think has a few dynamics;

1. Lack in interest in the trades or manufacturing
2. Lack of motivation of people to work (why should they they can get shit for free)
3. Misconceptions that if your in the trades or manufacturing your dumb or lower class or people thing the jobs are beneath them.
4. To a lesser extent people not wanting to move to areas that suck the life out of you financially, politically or socially.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:50:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
There are companies that do not want to pay a decent wage either, these were great companies to work for a few years ago.  You get what you pay for at the end of the day

View Quote

this would seem to be the real problem.
why get a job where you actually have to WORK when you can get the same pay doing nothing at walmart?
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:50:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Schools aren't doing our kids any favors these days.

I recently retired from 30 years in manufacturing and a few years of college and military prior to that.

The schools in this area are supposed to be really good.  The young folks coming to work the last few years are a mess, for the most part.  There are some good ones but they are greatly outnumbered.  

The schools, and their parents, are not teaching them to think, or to continually improve their knowledge/skills.  And it's only going to get worse.

Oh, the top pay at the place I worked, in production out on the floor is something just over $32 per hour.  Figure in OT, holidays, shift premiums, etc. and some of those guys bring in $100,000 a year, or nearly that.

The problem isn't the money.  The problem is finding people who are willing and able to do the work.  It's hard to find a job these days where you can sit in a recliner, or on a couch and press buttons on a controller while mom brings your snacks, meals and drinks to you.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:54:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:54:33 AM EDT
[#29]
The issue is pay, and how manufacturing workers are treated.

No one really thinks of these positions as a career, because most employers want to lean on you hard and send you down the road after a few years to be replaced with another "warm body".

Typically, for all but the more qualified positions, pay is not great.

Top pay for a guy on the floor in the Minneapolis Metro area is $30/hr.-$35/hr.

All things considered, what it takes to be a great machinist or a great fabrication guy, that's not shit for pay.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:54:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I recently retired from 30 years in manufacturing and a few years of college and military prior to that.

The schools in this area are supposed to be really good.  The young folks coming to work the last few years are a mess, for the most part.  There are some good ones but they are greatly outnumbered.  

The schools, and their parents, are not teaching them to think, or to continually improve their knowledge/skills.  And it's only going to get worse.

Oh, the top pay at the place I worked, in production out on the floor is something just over $32 per hour.  Figure in OT, holidays, shift premiums, etc. and some of those guys bring in $100,000 a year, or nearly that.

The problem isn't the money.  The problem is finding people who are willing and able to do the work.  It's hard to find a job these days where you can sit in a recliner, or on a couch and press buttons on a controller while mom brings your snacks, meals and drinks to you.
View Quote

People have been saying this same thing for 40 years.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:54:46 AM EDT
[#31]

Why work ?  the 1st family is a single mom (2 kids) making $10,000  a year and going to college.  the 2nd is a married couple 2 kids making $50,000 a year.  
Yes Al, we need more government to fix this.  Just like obamacare fixed health insurance.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/wp/2014/12/05/grothman-single-parents-welfare/

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:55:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Don't forget to meet the "American standard of living" we need smart phones with data plans, 700 channels on the 50", and houses with man caves.  Maybe the expectations of the American worker are out of touch?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Costs go up, labor included. Don't like that? Take your company overseas where you have cheap labor and  no IP protections so your design gets copied by another company as soon as production starts.

That American Standard of Living applies to companies too, we provide IP protection via government that you just don't get in cheaper labor markets.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:56:08 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
The same issue exists in Ohio. The trades are dying off, literally and figuratively and there's not enough skilled people or interest to fill positions.

An example of this is that the Big 3 automotive manufacturers used to absolutely require a degree for an engineering position, there was no waiver or compromise.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

And what do they pay, and for what level of experience? The problem isn't that people are unwilling to work a trade, the problem is companies wanting 5+ years of experience for $12/hr and acting they're doing you a favor for offering that much.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:56:13 AM EDT
[#34]
We have trouble finding help where I work(descent help that is) the pay is very competitive, people shy away from 12hr shifts and working some of your weekends.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:57:51 AM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:58:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Meanwhile 91 million working age Americans choose not to work causing a worker shortage.

Want to blame someone for illegal immigration? Blame those you know that are on SS "disability" welfare who require imported labor to fund their Bi-polar, Depression, AADD, headaches, etc and other bullshit disabilities.

The way I see it, if you can drive, you can work and make deliveries, if you can watch a computer monitor, you can be a plant guard. You can talk a phone you be a receptionist or telemarketer.

Start taking away drivers licenses from those too disabled to work. In order for them to collect benefits, make them stay in nursing homes so we can take care of them till they get better and are able to go back to work.

You'll see a miraculous recovery for millions.

View Quote

Absolutely. No telling how many millions are fully employable, but have scammed their way into a free check.  Bullshit.

My cousin is a stripper/prostitute. She tried getting SSI for agoraphobia. My mom was so pissed about it she filed a complaint and testified. This little bitch comes from a line that treats all form of welfare as something they are entitled to. Her mother started it. Stupid cunt. Now three generations are completely ruined. How bad is it when you teach your kids to aim low. Trash. Embarrassed to be related.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:58:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:58:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:58:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It shows the desperation for businesses to try and attract people.. The job centers work with placement agencies and can't attract people. They use the internet for damn near everything.
All places are understaffed. I know a guy who owns a large machine shop (about 120 employees). He's says all the time if he could run his stuff 24 hours a day, he would right now. Same thing with the piston ring operation.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:59:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Would all change with $15 min
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:59:42 AM EDT
[#41]
So hire and train unskilled workers  like Americans have done forever.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:00:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Offer more money. Employers are getting spoiled in the current job market, they think they'll be able to pay lower wages and keep people lined up out the door to apply anyway.

If you can't find someone to do the job then you aren't paying enough to entice people to do it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:00:34 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote

We start people at $13/hr for unskilled positions. Which isn't bad, until you get raises of *maybe* a quarter a year as a "big raise". Other places are hiring at $14+ and giving reasonable raises.

Management wonders why our retention rates are so low. No, it can't be the money...

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:01:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would agree with this also.

Making 100k/yr at $32/hr would require a metric shit ton of overtime, roughly 14 hours a week, every week for the entire year.

I would guess most top guys are doing 70k-80k a year.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:01:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Also screw grants, that's nothing but asking taxpayers to foot the bill that companies should be paying. It's corporate welfare.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:04:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

No, you have a wage and benefits gap. No one wants to do it cuz it pays shit fifty for what you do. Why do that when you can work the counter at Starbucks for the same amount, and they even pay for "collage" sometimes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Minnesota faces an employment issue that doesn’t involve a lack of jobs — it’s too many openings, and not enough qualified workers.

A study by the Manufacturing Institute concluded that over the next decade, nearly 3.5 million manufacturing jobs will need to be filled in the U.S. But with baby boomers retiring, and fewer young people gaining these skills, about two million of those jobs will go unfilled.

"Create grants that help businesses and community colleges train workers for high-skilled, high paying, good jobs,” Senator Franken said.

THIS.

Same with techs in the AG equipment repair industry.  Can't hire them,  why? Because no time and a half past 40 at my company(ag worker rules applied)work most holidays because farmers are in the field,  most weeks are 55 hrs minimum, almost no Saturdays off,  IF we get a fall or spring holiday off we are notified the day before it starts. (No family planned vacation fer you) AND starting pay is less than a small factory  nearby.   Management is stumped...stumped I tell you. They have resorted to sponsoring foolish high schooler in tech schools which will get them maybe 3 to 5 years  of a slow inefficient trainee and then they are/will be gone.  The worst thing is the ones that have stayed end up divorced drunks from the pace expected of them and the "nolife allowed" circumstances.  We lose our best to even state highway dept which pays less but better hours and a pension.  The industry just refuses to change with the times and adjust to the job market.  What's worse is the crew they have now is walking all over the owners with slow production, attendance issues and attitude. It a working strike almost.  Pathetic really.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:04:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:06:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I thought retired military get fed jobs, retire from that after 20 years, and then when they are 60+ they triple dip from military, fed pensions plus SS.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing north of DC.

Nothing West Coast

From your lips to God's ears.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:06:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Why work ?  the 1st family is a single mom (2 kids) making $10,000  a year and going to college.  the 2nd is a married couple 2 kids making $50,000 a year.  
Yes Al, we need more government to fix this.  Just like obamacare fixed health insurance.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/wp/2014/12/05/grothman-single-parents-welfare/

https://i.gyazo.com/95e6f78e6600f213715d5677bc25e7a5.png
View Quote

This is a huge problem too, cut all welfare both social and business. It does nothing but corrupt the natural balance of the market.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:08:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Offer more money. Employers are getting spoiled in the current job market, they think they'll be able to pay lower wages and keep people lined up out the door to apply anyway.

If you can't find someone to do the job then you aren't paying enough to entice people to do it.
View Quote

well with our "free trade" economy, that means you can't offer a competitive product.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top