Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2015 6:00:07 AM EDT
POF look to be priced nicely, but when Atlantic warns the paint comes off with solvent and the cocking tubes aren't aligned, well I get nervous...

Hard to imagine having to pay $3K for a dang MP5 clone :(

Suggested vendors?

TIA!
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 6:26:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Tagged for answers
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 6:37:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 6:43:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Atlantic sells Zenith mke and it is said they have very good finish compared to POF. The prices are around the same last I checked.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 7:08:02 AM EDT
[#4]
What happened to DJ Getz? I bought a Coharie mp5-sd from him in 2012. Looked cool enough, but I still had to send it to TPM in Texas to get if running half way decent .( of course the gun he sold me he said that he personally test fired ) when I bought it from him he was saying that he was in the process of creating his own line of guns. ........I guess I will have to go check out hkpro to see what is going on.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:04:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What happened to DJ Getz?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
What happened to DJ Getz?

Early June he posted a farewell:
Due to severe & debilitating medical issues, that I need to address, I can no longer continue my passion & practice.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:11:20 AM EDT
[#6]
CZ Scorpion.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:15:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:19:15 AM EDT
[#8]
View All Quotes

Quoted:
Atlantic sells Zenith mke and it is said they have very good finish compared to POF. The prices are around the same last I checked.

Anyone with personal experience with the Zenith?

Am I missing something or does Zenith not offer a full-length pistol?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:22:21 AM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

Any personal experience?  I hate to admit it, but I'm not fond of the integral picatinny rail - if I'm honest, the look of this gun is a lot of what I like, and the real thing doesn't have a rail up there
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:25:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
CZ Scorpion.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:31:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks!

http://zenithfirearms.com/product/z-5rs-pistol/

MKE is in Turkey and is licensed by HK and uses HK tooling

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:35:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Any personal experience?  I hate to admit it, but I'm not fond of the integral picatinny rail - if I'm honest, the look of this gun is a lot of what I like, and the real thing doesn't have a rail up there
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The owner of Dakota Tactical is a H&K Certified Armorer.His reputation and work is unsurpassed.He goes by Chopstix Kid over at HKPRO.He's expensive but his work is the best in the business.Do a research over at HKPRO and you'll soon see he is one of the best.As far as the rails he builds them without them.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:35:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Why would you buy an crappy MP5 clone when you can buy a Sig MPX
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:43:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because the MP5 doesn't use a stupid T handle, and you can actually buy spare mags.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:45:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because you already have an MPX?
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:46:31 AM EDT
[#16]
I just got to handle and shoot a Zenith MP5 and it looked and ran great! Comes with hard case 3 mags,sling,and cleaning kit.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:49:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks!

DOH!  I guess I had "Reverse Stretch" on the brain and didn't even see that "RS" != "Reverse Stretch" but looks like "full-sized"

Again - anyone actually OWN one of these bad boys?  Price looks pretty good, as long as that slim handguard can be swapped for a wide one I'd be happy.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:54:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

The mpx is nice, but you cannot call an mp5 crappy.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:37:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

that because the real thing was made before that rail was invented.

if he real HKs were being made today, it would have a rail, do you think ze germans would keep the shitty clamp mounts vs a better solution???
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:47:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Look at Turner Fabrications.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:54:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

if he real HKs were being made today, it would have a rail, do you think ze germans would keep the shitty clamp mounts vs a better solution???
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have Dakota builds and real German MP5's and the Dakotas are actually a little nicer IMO. That rail is an option that costs extra, or used to be. I'm sure he'd leave it off by request if it's now a default.

I think HK is still building them without rails though.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:57:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks!

yes, they're excellent
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 10:07:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Are they compatible with hk parts.  Stocks and trigger housings etc?
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 10:14:42 AM EDT
[#24]
The zenith mkes have a rail that is removable. Also look up Military Arms Channel on the tube. He did va couple vids about them. Since they are under license and built on hk tooling they are the closest thing the the real thing without the crazy price tag. I was considering one, but I might build an AR in 9mm for my osprey instead.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 10:16:28 AM EDT
[#25]
I had a  ghillebear reverse stretch pistol made.  The plan was to SBR.   After spending some time with it, and learning about the platform, I sold it.  

No complaints with the Ghillebear firearm.  He doesn't make them as perfect looking as Dakota Tactical apparently does, but you also don't have to wait as long.   The pistol functioned flawlessly.  

I added a pic rail and I wish that either I hadn't, or had specified a short section.   Charging the weapon, my knuckles hit the rail very often.

Ghillebear is Jeff Walters, parabellum combat systems, and the best way to get his is on HKpro.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 10:25:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Atlantic warns the paint comes off with solvent and the cocking tubes aren't aligned,
View Quote

Apparently Atlantic had a meeting with POF and those issue has been addressed.

I picked one up from the batch they imported earlier this year, everything is straight and the coating hasn't came off. However I have only shot and cleaned it about 3 or 4 times so I'm not sure that my personal experience can be used as a benchmark.

They are a site sponcer so you can shoot them a message or post in their forum asking about it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 1:07:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

DOH!  I guess I had "Reverse Stretch" on the brain and didn't even see that "RS" != "Reverse Stretch" but looks like "full-sized"

Again - anyone actually OWN one of these bad boys?  Price looks pretty good, as long as that slim handguard can be swapped for a wide one I'd be happy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks!

I own a Z-5RS (the full size MP5 variant) and am extremely happy with it.  I only have fired a couple hundred rounds so far, but it has run 100% and the sights are on target.  The finish is very nice on mine.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 1:15:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 1:22:02 PM EDT
[#29]
I highly recommend Ghilliebear, aka Jeff Walters.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 1:26:38 PM EDT
[#30]
You can find used Coharie & DJ Getz clones cheap over on gunbroker if you look around. I would just get a slightly used one and go from there to save some $$. Right now its a buyers market.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 1:35:03 PM EDT
[#31]
the Dakotas (via the website) look really nice (I own a Coharie)

in the description, they say the gun is sear ready so I assume that might be why they are a little on the pricey side
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 6:33:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks folks!  Especially good to hear of positive experiences with the Zenith - that looks like it might be the way I go, though might be tough to find someone willing to not hose me on the magazines.  (Atlantic says they will pull them for Kolorado, but not ship them elsewhere and not credit anything or replace them with anything.)

I too had heard POF "improved" but when Atlantic says right on the selling page that they won't warrant cosmetics - and lists those specific examples - then I think it's safe to say they haven't improved enough.

Are all Coharie guns DJ Getz?  I've heard of some connection but never been sure.

The Dakotas look very nice, but the wait time, rail, and price all make me lean away from them.  Again though good to hear they're "worth it" from those with first hand experience.  Most of the builders claim sear-ready guns - not sure the Zenith is or not.  Given that I don't have an HK sear and with THOSE prices the way they are, I'm not likely too either
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:42:10 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm gonna miss Dave Getz.  I have two of his guns, an N and a K, and he's always been amazing to work with.  I actually sent my K to him the other week because I was having an issue with a stock.  Fixed it, gave the gun a full tune-up and cleaning, a new extractor, and didn't charge me a dime.  Just asked that I provide return shipping.  That sort of service is really, really tough to find these days.

Both of those guns have been absolutely rock-solid, including in full auto with my sear.  I'm very much on the hunt to find an SD to complete the collection, but I haven't tracked one down yet.

Dakota Tactical, Gillibear, and Turner all make great guns.  You can also go through someone like Mike Otte at Michaels Machines, who is probably one of the top 3 HK smiths in the country.  His builds are almost legend in the community now.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 1:03:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Which variant are you looking for a pistol or standard rifle? Are you going SBR?
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 2:21:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Which variant are you looking for a pistol or standard rifle? Are you going SBR?
View Quote

Pistol, full-sized (no K, no reverse-stretch).  No sear or SBR plans, but not opposed to leaving options open.  Struggling with the idea that a quality MP5 build is $3K - wouldn't go from $1600-1700 up to $3K just for sear compatibility for instance, but might go +10% kinda range....
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 2:51:36 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Pistol, full-sized (no K, no reverse-stretch).  No sear or SBR plans, but not opposed to leaving options open.  Struggling with the idea that a quality MP5 build is $3K - wouldn't go from $1600-1700 up to $3K just for sear compatibility for instance, but might go +10% kinda range....
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Listed from cheap to more expensive.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=511743036

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=509949367

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=512419472

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 7:03:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 7:30:19 AM EDT
[#38]
The only difference between my MKE and my HK94 is the real HK gun has a nicer finish.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 7:30:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I had a  ghillebear reverse stretch pistol made.  The plan was to SBR.   After spending some time with it, and learning about the platform, I sold it.  

No complaints with the Ghillebear firearm.  He doesn't make them as perfect looking as Dakota Tactical apparently does, but you also don't have to wait as long.   The pistol functioned flawlessly.  

I added a pic rail and I wish that either I hadn't, or had specified a short section.   Charging the weapon, my knuckles hit the rail very often.

Ghillebear is Jeff Walters, parabellum combat systems, and the best way to get his is on HKpro.
View Quote

I wouldnt let Ghillebear sharpen a chainsaw chain for me.

Ive shot and had in my hands two of his "builds" LOL

If you call stick welded globs of mess and spray paint a build LOL have at it
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 7:38:56 AM EDT
[#40]

The cost of HK clones (good ones) has always kept me out of that market.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 7:47:37 AM EDT
[#41]
IGF used to do MP5 builds as well.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 8:51:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The owner of Dakota Tactical is a H&K Certified Armorer.His reputation and work is unsurpassed.He goes by Chopstix Kid over at HKPRO.He's expensive but his work is the best in the business.Do a research over at HKPRO and you'll soon see he is one of the best.As far as the rails he builds them without them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No more non-rail uppers:
Effective immediately, ALL firearms will have receiver top picatinny rails welded on. For orders currently in queue, customers will have the option of foregoing the rails, however the claw mount tabs will not be cut to properly accept clamp/claw mount rails. I apologize if this creates issues, however I am forced to make these changes to help expedite the builds.

Thank you,
~Joe
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:20:00 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I bought a Zenith. It's as close as it gets to an H&K gun. They're well regarded on HKPro and so far mine has run with no problems. I need to SBR it.
View Quote

Ditto.

My Z-5RS which now has its Form 1 stamp, has been fantastic.

Side by side with a friends MP5, very difficult to ID any meaningful differences......except mine was made in 2015 and his was made in 1984.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:48:16 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd like to see a picture of this, since I have one of his MP5 pistols I made into an SBR. Not only does it function great but when compared to others the welds where about as perfect as you can get and the finish was anything but spray canned on.

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 8:18:52 PM EDT
[#45]
The Zeniths are very nice.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 8:37:27 PM EDT
[#46]
I gotta chime in here.

Just got my 2nd one from Brethren Arms.  They are fantastic!!!!!  Built with mostly HK parts.  Veteran owned and operated.

You can order with or without the rails.  Or any length of rail.

I have the Regular MP5 clone in "pistol" version until I SBR it.

My most recent is a straight up MP5 SD.   Yes.. the grail.  Factory supressed sbr.    Fit, finish, details.... likely better than the mass produced HK's.

Do yourself a favor and check them out.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top