Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2015 7:46:58 PM EDT
Because i eat hot peppers every day.  5 habaneros and 3 jalapenos yesterday with my lunch.  
3 jalapenos with my supper tonight (beans and cornbread).
I always ate spicy food but my best friend (he is a MD) got me started eating peppers every day if possible.

I'm not saying it cures acid reflux, I'm saying if you condition yourself to eat hot daily you won't easily get acid reflux. Barring some physical reason.

It also cures being a little puss!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:49:30 PM EDT
[#1]
What's your caffeine intake like?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:52:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:53:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What's your caffeine intake like?
View Quote

2- 6 cups a day.
But that started as a child, so I'm accustomed.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:54:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have eaten hot spicy foods my entire life and unfortunately acid refux is hereditary in my family. I started getting it really bad at about 35yrs old and have been in a daily medicine for the last 2yrs.
View Quote

I'm 45 and could develop it tomorrow.
Just throwing shit out there as my buddy is a doc and he is in his 60s and says that is his secret to never having had reflux.  He drinks coffee constantly as well.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:55:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Because i eat hot peppers every day.  5 habaneros and 3 jalapenos yesterday with my lunch.  

I always ate spicy food but my best friend (he is a MD) got me started eating peppers every day if possible.

I'm not saying it cures acid reflux, I'm saying if you condition yourself to eat hot daily you won't easily get acid reflux. Barring some physical reason.

View Quote

Ha!  I like it.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:56:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I never have neither and I don't drink coffee on a regular basis. I don't eat a lot of peppers neither.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:05:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I never have neither and I don't drink coffee on a regular basis. I don't eat a lot of peppers neither.
View Quote

You are living an empty life.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:06:35 PM EDT
[#8]
plz stay safe OP
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:07:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:10:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I have it because...

Grizzly Wintergreen! Heh

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:16:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Peppers are a base so they neutralize acid.

If you are experiencing acid reflux eating a pepper can help.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:16:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
plz stay safe OP
View Quote

14er.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:17:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have it because...

Grizzly Wintergreen! Heh

View Quote

Yeah, but it burns so good.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:18:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I wish that was true, I would be immune to it.

It sucks a major asshole. My triggers are spicy food and greasy foods. With the medicine I am fine, quit taking it for two days and I am hurting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have eaten hot spicy foods my entire life and unfortunately acid refux is hereditary in my family. I started getting it really bad at about 35yrs old and have been in a daily medicine for the last 2yrs.

Just throwing shit out there as my buddy is a doc and he is in his 60s and says that is his secret to never having had reflux.  He drinks coffee constantly as well.

I wish that was true, I would be immune to it.

It sucks a major asshole. My triggers are spicy food and greasy foods. With the medicine I am fine, quit taking it for two days and I am hurting.

If you were to keep a log of the food you eat I bet you would find that the greasy part of the equation is greater than the spicy. I can eat the spiciest of foods with no problem but make it greasy and I pay the price. I look at it as a blessing, staying away from greasy food has saved me a fortune in clothing, I have worn the same size for 30+ years.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:18:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I like peppers and have never had acid reflux but I'm pretty positive you are completely and totally incorrect.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:22:12 PM EDT
[#16]
We eat Thai often, and I have my green curry prepared "twice Thai hot" (the hottest they will make it), every time.  And every time I eat it my head gets wet from sweat and I love the endorphin rush and buzz.  But I've been taking Tagamet (cimetidine) daily for, I guess, at least over a decade now.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:22:21 PM EDT
[#17]
You've never had it because your body is functioning normally and closing the valve that keeps stomach acid out of your esophagus.

Not much more too it than that.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:23:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Acid redux, is that like flashbacks?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:24:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

Do you think Acid reflux is a mental condition?

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:57:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anatomic vs physiologic
I should have said Anatomic reason.
And maybe heartburn included.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:09:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Just wait til you hit 50
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:29:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:03:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Similar deal here.  Runs on my dad's side of the family, he had cancer from it in his 50s, survived it thankfully.  I started having acid reflux in my late teens off and on into my 20s.  At age 29 I got to make a trip to ER due to food become lodged and not going down.  Acid reflux had done a number on the esophogial muscles and as a result the tasty brisket I was eating became lodged.  Been on meds every since, and every two years I have to have an upper GI exam.  This is from a guy who used tabasco sauce on everything, used the hottest salsa etc for a long time.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:05:05 PM EDT
[#24]
54yo here and I have never experienced it either

Normal diet - normal health
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:07:59 PM EDT
[#25]
It's the grease or the Copenhagen. I eat spicy food and I'm fine.  Grease  or acidic stuff like red wine will kill me.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:10:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Similar deal here.  Runs on my dad's side of the family, he had cancer from it in his 50s, survived it thankfully.  I started having acid reflux in my late teens off and on into my 20s.  At age 29 I got to make a trip to ER due to food become lodged and not going down.  Acid reflux had done a number on the esophogial muscles and as a result the tasty brisket I was eating became lodged.  Been on meds every since, and every two years I have to have an upper GI exam.  This is from a guy who used tabasco sauce on everything, used the hottest salsa etc for a long time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow.  I'm sorry to hear that.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:13:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have it because...

Grizzly Wintergreen! Heh

View Quote

Cope gives me throatburn every time. I chew the Griz every day, and never have issues like that.  

I don't enjoy super-hot peppers. Spicy is okay, but if it tastes like burning, then no thanks.  plus ring-sting.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:17:10 PM EDT
[#28]
I usually eat 5-10 peppers a day too.  I think they soothe the stomach.

I grow jalapenos and I let 'em stay on the plant until they're red.  SOOOO  much flavor.  They don't taste anything like the big watered down green ones you can buy at the store.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:17:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same.

I'm a hot food nut and knock out at least a couple jalapeños per day, and a habanero if I'm feeling spunky. I absolutely love the fresh raspberry flavor of habaneros. The scotch bonnets aren't as flavorful, but the saviinas are darned good.

Zero acid reflux or Gonnorhea. (Your other thread.)
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:18:53 PM EDT
[#30]
You like hot peppers?  I'm drying out some Habanero, Caribbean Red and Ghost peppers.  These are ghost peppers on the left.  On the top, there are some Caribbean red ones except for that single Habanero.  This is my last batch as it's gotten too cold.  I've left some whole except you need to cut about a 1" slit at the bottom so they dry properly and the rest are cut in half.  Those dry very well.  I have to put this outdoors and even then you can feel the heat if you walk too close.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:21:19 PM EDT
[#31]
How does your ass stand that?  I could chow down jalapeños when I was young, but now I pay for it the next day.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:21:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You like hot peppers?  I'm drying out some Habanero, Caribbean Red and Ghost peppers.  These are ghost peppers on the left.  On the top, there are some Caribbean red ones.  I have to put this outdoors and even then you can feel the heat if you walk too close.

http://i.imgur.com/thgTBmw.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zowVUoN.jpg
View Quote

Holy shit,

Respect.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:21:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
How does your ass stand that?  I could chow down jalapeños when I was young, but now I pay for it the next day.
View Quote

Doesn't burn any more.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:25:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Holy shit,

Respect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You like hot peppers?  I'm drying out some Habanero, Caribbean Red and Ghost peppers.  These are ghost peppers on the left.  On the top, there are some Caribbean red ones.  I have to put this outdoors and even then you can feel the heat if you walk too close.

http://i.imgur.com/thgTBmw.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zowVUoN.jpg

Holy shit,

Respect.

Last year I couldn't get the Ghost peppers to even produce fruit.  Lots of flowers but ran into the cold weather.  I got many that were a nice red and the rest are an orange-red.  This is a nice red one:

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:26:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can probably help you.

Go to the doctor and get checked for H. Pylori infection. This will be a blood test. If it comes up positive tell them to give you the CURE. Not a treatment, the CURE.

Wanna know why Prilosec went from $80 a pill to an OTC? One doctor discovered that he could cure reflux and ulcers with antibiotics and the powers that be all but tried to crucify him.

But he was right, and it cost the pharmaceutical industry BILLIONS. I'm surprised that the guy wasn't disappeared.

It probably sounds like snake oil, or a miracle cure or some shit, but I don't want you to believe me, do your research and find out for yourself, or get the test done. Report back here when you have had it done.

The antibiotic course fucking sucks, but what is two weeks of dealing with that shit compared to being cured? I had it myself and it kicked my ass. Feeling like shit was normal to me, then I got the cure and it was literally like someone had installed a nuclear, fusion power pack into me. I felt like I could fly afterwards. Still do.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:29:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I can probably help you.

Go to the doctor and get checked for H. Pylori infection. This will be a blood test. If it comes up positive tell them to give you the CURE. Not a treatment, the CURE.

Wanna know why Prilosec went from $80 a pill to an OTC? One doctor discovered that he could cure reflux and ulcers with antibiotics and the powers that be all but tried to crucify him.

But he was right, and it cost the pharmaceutical industry BILLIONS. I'm surprised that the guy wasn't disappeared.

It probably sounds like snake oil, or a miracle cure or some shit, but I don't want you to believe me, do your research and find out for yourself, or get the test done. Report back here when you have had it done.

The antibiotic course fucking sucks, but what is two weeks of dealing with that shit compared to being cured? I had it myself and it kicked my ass. Feeling like shit was normal to me, then I got the cure and it was literally like someone had installed a nuclear, fusion power pack into me. I felt like I could fly afterwards. Still do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can probably help you.

Yes, an Australian doctor.  Very cool story.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:32:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Man, I like the way peppers taste, but "hot in and hot out".  I just can't deal with the second go-round with peppers.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:38:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Man, I like the way peppers taste, but "hot it and hot out".  I just can't deal with the second go-round with peppers.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Man, I like the way peppers taste, but "hot it and hot out".  I just can't deal with the second go-round with peppers.

Eat ice cream afterwards.

That way after the hot burns your ass, the ice cream will cool your poor O-Ring off.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 12:59:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Spicy foods have nothing to do with it, at least in my experience.  It is all about acid.  I get acid reflux from primary two things: coffee and alcohol.  If I eat raw onions it sometimes does it, but I generally avoid those due to taste preferences. Acid reflux only started getting routine it after I hit a quarter century.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 1:03:03 AM EDT
[#40]
My Barrett's esophagus says otherwise.

Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Nobody on this planet has eaten more hot spicy food per year on this planet than me. Always at hot as humanly imaginable.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 1:09:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Get a nissen fundoplication immediately. Cleveland Clinic, Dr Rosen http://my.clevelandclinic.org/staff_directory/staff_display?doctorid=4282

I never had acid reflux in my life, started getting in last year 24/7. Medication didn't help much and made me sick. Went weeks without more than an hour of sleep each night, I was ready to die. Bounced around gastroentrologists until I found one that recommended surgery, sent me to Dr. Rosen at the CC, fixed me right up. Fuck being on that medication for the next 40 years.

I'm back to 100%, he absolutely nailed it. Coffee, salsa, whiskey, no problems with anything. You just won't be able to burp much or vomit, which is nothing compared to how bad reflux is. Of course, I got food poisoning for the first time in 10 years last week, couldn't puke anything up, so just had to deal with some discomfort for a few hours and a minute of dry heaves.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 1:14:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I can probably help you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can probably help you.

Except that H. pylori isn't the primary cause of reflux in the first world. It probably went to OTC because acid reflux & esophageal cancer are up like 3000% over the past 15 years.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 2:42:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Except that H. pylori isn't the primary cause of reflux in the first world. It probably went to OTC because acid reflux & esophageal cancer are up like 3000% over the past 15 years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can probably help you.

They've literally said that he was the specific reason it went to Otc.

And even when you ask for the cure, they'll still try to pass off the treatment on you. I literally used to deal with reflux constantly. H pylori killed my aunt and is a specific cause of stomach cancer.

Get the cure. You'll thank me. Haven't had a single bout of reflux in more than ten years and no stomach pains.

I eat some wild stuff too. Sure, it comes out hot, but it's not going to make my stomach try to eat itself. I remember in my twenties I took a drink of soda one morning and the pain was so intense it took me to the floor.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 3:00:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

And even when you ask for the cure, they'll still try to pass off the treatment on you. I literally used to deal with reflux constantly. H pylori killed my aunt and is a specific cause of stomach cancer.

Get the cure. You'll thank me. Haven't had a single bout of reflux in more than ten years and no stomach pains.

I eat some wild stuff too. Sure, it comes out hot, but it's not going to make my stomach try to eat itself. I remember in my twenties I took a drink of soda one morning and the pain was so intense it took me to the floor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can probably help you.

Link to anything that says went OTC Prilosec because his cure? I can't imagine that and don't all drug companies want to sell OTC to limit the barriers to purchase? He should certainly get tested for H Pylori and get antibiotics if they find that to be the cause. H Pylori is still not the root cause for GERD for the majority of Americans, there's like a dozen other possibilities. I tested negative for it. H Pylori is the cause for GERD in most third world countries, IIRC.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 6:44:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Link to anything that says went OTC Prilosec because his cure? I can't imagine that and don't all drug companies want to sell OTC to limit the barriers to purchase? He should certainly get tested for H Pylori and get antibiotics if they find that to be the cause. H Pylori is still not the root cause for GERD for the majority of Americans, there's like a dozen other possibilities. I tested negative for it. H Pylori is the cause for GERD in most third world countries, IIRC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can probably help you.

Imagine it, because when they're selling a medication that they're making billions on, they don't give a shit how many hands it is in. They actually used to require a scrip for the stuff. This is no different than the situation that just happened a few days ago with the potentially life saving medication that went from something like 35 cents a pill to $500 a pill overnight.

I read the Prilosec turning OTC in a medical journal during my paramedic certification. I believe it was the Lancet. This was in the pre internet days. It also said it was communicable. I'm not going to go digging through twenty five year old magazines to find you a link to an article that may or may not exist. They interviewed the Australian doctor in it and even though his cure had already hit the streets and was being practiced, many doctors were still howling for him to be disbarred.

Many people dealing with GERD in both first and third world countries is caused by H Pylori contracted when they're children. H Pylori (Ulcers/GERD) went from a multi billion dollar a year industry (Prilosec) to a curable malady (Antibiotics). While what you say is true, he and anyone else with any kind of questionable issue regarding their stomach (Pain, bad breath, reflux, etc) should get tested. I'm not going to rule out a potential easy fix because it isn't what happened to you.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 7:26:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is pure nonsense. I eat way hotter foods than you, and have had GERD since I was a child.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 10:44:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

This is pure nonsense. I eat way hotter foods than you, and have had GERD since I was a child.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:25:12 AM EDT
[#48]
There are multiple things that cause acid reflux, some things can be helped, some can't.  In my case, I have a hiatal hernia that makes me prone to it.  It could be rectified, but due to weak muscles in the esophagus, I would have an even harder time getting food down.  While some of your guys ideas may work for some things, it sadly won't for me.  Let me tell you, I'd love to be done with it.  You haven't lived until you sat in ER for a couple of hours, feeling like you're drowning.  When you have a blockage, all that saliva and mucus that normally is running down into your stomach, especially when you're in distress has no where to go.  It backs up and will try to go into your lungs.  So every 10 minutes you run into the bathroom, and hack what you can out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top