Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:14:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Kind of gay, the way it happened.  I taught him a bunch of stuff including fixing his car.  Long story short, I tell him how to change his oil, and he does it.  Drains the tranny fluid instead of the oil.  Tells me I should pay the bill.  I give him a choice, I stop teaching him remodeling, finances etc and give him $85 and walk or....  So after making $3500 in 4 weeks...
View Quote

Please clarify.  You offer to give him $85 for his stupid mistake and call it quits with him?  OK, what's the $3.5k in 4 weeks biz?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:17:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

So you should be able to afford a membership.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Met a guy a couple years ago who called me when he lost his job.  I do IT by trade but have had an on again off again remodeling business.  I do really well with it and get a lot of business from work (aka IT)and I am great at it.  Plus I don't need the cash and like working with my hands so I can undercut a lot of people.  So I take this kid and teach him a trade.  He goes from making $350 a week to $750-900.  Then the POS screws me for $85 bucks.  What is wrong with people other than really bad math $85>900????  Worst part is this kid goes to church so he tries to say he is a good guy because he does.  I believe in God, but so many people hide behind the church.

Why the fuck do you care?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:20:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Met a guy a couple years ago who called me when he lost his job.  I do IT by trade but have had an on again off again remodeling business.  I do really well with it and get a lot of business from work (aka IT)and I am great at it.  Plus I don't need the cash and like working with my hands so I can undercut a lot of people.  So I take this kid and teach him a trade.  He goes from making $350 a week to $750-900.  Then the POS screws me for $85 bucks.  What is wrong with people other than really bad math $85>900????  Worst part is this kid goes to church so he tries to say he is a good guy because he does.  I believe in God, but so many people hide behind the church.

+1

How the OP spends his money is also none of our business.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:25:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Too late for you man. Arfcom says you have to be licensed by the .gov, pay for permits, provide health ins. and retirement for your 1 helper or else you can't hang some drywall and finish it.  

If you fucking paint it...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck the guys who think people working on the side need to be 'regulated by the government'.

Fuck them with a rusty rake.

This. This right there.
Fuck scab ass moonlighters that fuck customers over, don't pay taxes, don't do things properly, disappear on jobs and have no accountability. See how that works?  

(not speaking of OP, just making an example)

Right, I see where you are coming from.  Still, government regulation isn't going to stop that.  I don't want to live in this world where every little thing is regulated, categorized, examined, and ultimately in hock to government bureaucrats.  The .gov giving a company the green-light to operate guarantees nothing outside of the fact that all of the appropriate payoffs have happened.

There is no panacea.  Caveat emptor should be the reigning line of thought in all transactions.
Too late for you man. Arfcom says you have to be licensed by the .gov, pay for permits, provide health ins. and retirement for your 1 helper or else you can't hang some drywall and finish it.  

If you fucking paint it...

Yeah, trivialize the conversation. How about commercial or resi mechanical or electrical? Structural? Bids over $1000? What happens when your 'helper' breaks his ankle on your job? Who covers that? Or drops his ladder in the customers home and dents their floor?

Drywall requires no license, permit, or inspections.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:27:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yeah, trivialize the conversation. How about commercial or resi mechanical or electrical? Structural? Bids over $1000? What happens when your 'helper' breaks his ankle on your job? Who covers that? Or drops his ladder in the customers home and dents their floor?

Drywall requires no license, permit, or inspections.
View Quote

You are completely missing the point princess.

No one is saying those things aren't important.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:31:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I do think the 'scabs' need to play by the same rules as everyone else. I just don't like the rules.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree. Perhaps more should be done to educate clients on quality/certifications of those bidding the jobs instead of requiring licenses to do the work. It puts the responsibility on the shoulders of the industry in question and not the government. I'm cool with that.

Unfortunately, some states do have requirements and hoops and licenses and until the requirements for licensure are removed (the ultimate goal), the unlicensed, uninsured contractors can't get permits for work and the clients have no recourse if shit goes sour.

I use this phrase daily, either in conversation or just in my own head.

"You get what you pay for." And at the end of the day, it transcends licensing or certificates or anything else.

I do think the 'scabs' need to play by the same rules as everyone else. I just don't like the rules.

"SCAB" is such an offensive and derogatory term. You address them as undocumented contractors!
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:31:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Mustard Man likes this thread.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:38:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

At this point I'm holding a steak on my eye with one hand and eating popcorn with the other.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've had my eye on this thread from the beginning

It didn't disappoint

At this point I'm holding a steak on my eye with one hand and eating popcorn with the other.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:39:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

"SCAB" is such an offensive and derogatory term. You address them as undocumented contractors!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree. Perhaps more should be done to educate clients on quality/certifications of those bidding the jobs instead of requiring licenses to do the work. It puts the responsibility on the shoulders of the industry in question and not the government. I'm cool with that.

Unfortunately, some states do have requirements and hoops and licenses and until the requirements for licensure are removed (the ultimate goal), the unlicensed, uninsured contractors can't get permits for work and the clients have no recourse if shit goes sour.

I use this phrase daily, either in conversation or just in my own head.

"You get what you pay for." And at the end of the day, it transcends licensing or certificates or anything else.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:52:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
OP talks about undercutting all the other remodelers in the area...complains about getting screwed over....
View Quote

It sounds like legit business competition. Why do you hate freedom and free market competition?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:05:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:08:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Please clarify.  You offer to give him $85 for his stupid mistake and call it quits with him?  OK, what's the $3.5k in 4 weeks biz?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kind of gay, the way it happened.  I taught him a bunch of stuff including fixing his car.  Long story short, I tell him how to change his oil, and he does it.  Drains the tranny fluid instead of the oil.  Tells me I should pay the bill.  I give him a choice, I stop teaching him remodeling, finances etc and give him $85 and walk or....  So after making $3500 in 4 weeks...

Yeah, I've been wondering the same thing. Doubt the OP's going to be able to elaborate (for a few days, at least), having stepped on his dick earlier.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:23:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
NM, not worth my time
View Quote

Relax bro. We're all on the same team. Just a spirited discussion!
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:27:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It sounds like legit business competition. Why do you hate freedom and free market competition?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP talks about undercutting all the other remodelers in the area...complains about getting screwed over....

We won't know for awhile now, but usually when people talk about their side jobs it means they are doing it without going through all the legal channels that full time guys are required to. It's common enough that it is usually assumed by most contractors.

Not playing by the same rules doesn't make it free market competition.

However, if OP is CT licensed and carries GL and workers comp, I apologize for my first post. Maybe he just likes to work for much less than the competition.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:32:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Fuck the guys who think people working on the side need to be 'regulated by the government'.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was looking into also getting him a 401K.  Dude I make $150K in my real job and $50K-75 doing remodeling. Don't try to judge me because you are a failure.  Anymore questions?

Slaves to the system. Think they need the king's permission (licenses) to do work that they know how to do.  There is no hope for  a free society when everyone is so accustomed to the "reasonable regulations" that they labor under.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:36:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nowhere near legit business competition. Me competing against other contractors is legit. Some unlicensed / uninsured FBN guy has no business playing in my pen. It's illegal and shits on me for being legit. Let him pay the overhead expenses I pay to play.

The word in this thread is naive. Many need to read the definition.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:41:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Slaves to the system. Think they need the king's permission (licenses) to do work that they know how to do.  There is no hope for  a free society when everyone is so accustomed to the "reasonable regulations" that they labor under.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was looking into also getting him a 401K.  Dude I make $150K in my real job and $50K-75 doing remodeling. Don't try to judge me because you are a failure.  Anymore questions?

That's not what we are getting at.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:49:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I paid the $85, out of pride, it's the lack of loyalty I can't understand.
View Quote

You tried to help some hood rat
No good deed goes unpunished.

Where is he from?  Bridgeport ?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:57:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
How so. Licensed contractors have to carry a bond, insurance, continuing ed and a plethora of other gov. costs. OP did not say if he was licensed but I assume not because he is able to undercut others. I dunno.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL, that's on par with being the most retarded post I've read today.

How so. Licensed contractors have to carry a bond, insurance, continuing ed and a plethora of other gov. costs. OP did not say if he was licensed but I assume not because he is able to undercut others. I dunno.

And some still don't pay their subs and the homeowner gets sued. One would think that is what title insurance is for. Apparently it isn't. The ordeal I went through having my house built my a licensed contractor tells me the license doesn't really mean shit except the state will eventually come in and settle the matter. Jackass contractor just changes the business name and motors on.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:59:19 PM EDT
[#20]
This thread reads like a coming out for unlicensed contractors.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:09:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:12:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It must've been a slow day. That's the part that stood out the most.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:16:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't worry I found some better ones later.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:17:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

And what do you think happened to the homeowner who hires the unlicensed guy who never paid up or complet d the job?

The state tells the HO to go pound sand.

That is why you hire licensed, bonded, and insured contractors.
View Quote

The state?

Are you talking about civil court?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:19:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yes. I am fully legit. To be legit, I man'd up and paid my dues. I got the FUCK over it and am in compliance. Why bag on me for following the rules that govern my trade?? It's cool to bitch and whine against the machine, yes, I know. Grow up and recognize there are rules some people need to follow. Like I said, maybe I'll just be a cop on the side. No badge, no training.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Horse shit. I have laws that regulate my trade. I follow them. Contractors license, business license, insurance, accountant, payroll company, and so on.

I feel strongly that others who do my job need to play by the same rules. Period. Fuck the scabs.

So, you're embracing government regulation.

It's a personal choice. One I disagree with.

Pretty simple there buddy.

Yes. I am fully legit. To be legit, I man'd up and paid my dues. I got the FUCK over it and am in compliance. Why bag on me for following the rules that govern my trade?? It's cool to bitch and whine against the machine, yes, I know. Grow up and recognize there are rules some people need to follow. Like I said, maybe I'll just be a cop on the side. No badge, no training.

You mean like when you play citizen informant, ratting out people for tiny little fires in their backyard?

That was an awesome thread for the rest of us, not so much for you unfortunately.  

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:24:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You mean like when you play citizen informant, ratting out people for tiny little fires in their backyard?

That was an awesome thread for the rest of us, not so much for you unfortunately.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Horse shit. I have laws that regulate my trade. I follow them. Contractors license, business license, insurance, accountant, payroll company, and so on.

I feel strongly that others who do my job need to play by the same rules. Period. Fuck the scabs.

So, you're embracing government regulation.

It's a personal choice. One I disagree with.

Pretty simple there buddy.

Yes. The guy off his meds with the huge computer monitor fire 2 houses from my 4-Plex. (I've met him since. Mental incompetent)

I'd make that call today or 1000 times in the future. Shove that waaaaaaay up there, friendo.

You go right ahead and call me out, kiddo. I'll be right here to stand behind my actions and posts.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:26:31 PM EDT
[#27]
So a part-time guy working more or less as a hobby for extra money. Has no problem
undercutting professionals trying to support their family paying insurance and more than
likely creating jobs. No problem screwing them out of work but the kid got over
on you for $40 need more details didn't read the whole story yet. Free marketing
and all but where do morals come in or do they matter.

Am back on pg. 1 so this may have covered.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:28:52 PM EDT
[#28]
or workers comp
or pay fica/ss
or pay unemployment

ETA I should of read the whole thread before posting what has already been clearly said

Quoted:

Most guys that do it on the side don't usually carry insurance or licensing (if required in the area).

That allows them to do work a lot cheaper.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Free market economy, how does it work?

Most guys that do it on the side don't usually carry insurance or licensing (if required in the area).

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:30:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Wait wait wait! What in the actual fuck is going on?  Sounds like a couple folks don't know how to change oil and they get mad at each other and proceed to tard it up, do I have this correct?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:30:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Wow, this thread delivers. I recommend everybody in it so far go and purchase a custard pie and smash themselves in the face with it.

Now, seriously, it was a Subaru wasn't it? Everyone drains the tranny fluid by mistake the first time they change the oil; all the available documentation diagrams basically direct you to do this. The transmission drain is much more prominently available under the car than the oil.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:31:13 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote
Lol

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:34:49 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
And what do you think happened to the homeowner who hires the unlicensed guy who never paid up or complet d the job?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And some still don't pay their subs and the homeowner gets sued. One would think that is what title insurance is for. Apparently it isn't. The ordeal I went through having my house built my a licensed contractor tells me the license doesn't really mean shit except the state will eventually come in and settle the matter. Jackass contractor just changes the business name and motors on.

It still cost me a few thousand in attorney fees and the builder never came back to fix mistakes. I don't think I'll ever build again.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:38:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Here is the way I understood OP.

The employee earned $3500 over the past 4 weeks working for him.

He was teaching the employee how to change his oil and the employee fucked up and drained the tranny and it cost $85 to fix.

Employee said it is OP's fault and that he owes him $85.

OP said fine I will give you $85 if you want for the fuck up but if I do you are done working for me.

Employee took the $85 and split so he basically pissed away a $3500 a month job for $85.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:40:17 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Headshot?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ZW17 send me a naked pic of your wife/mom or my guess blow up doll and I will be happy too.

You chose poorly.

Headshot?
Boom...lol

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:40:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I paid the $85, out of pride, it's the lack of loyalty I can't understand.
View Quote

It's this entire thread I can't understand.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:43:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Kind of gay, the way it happened.  I taught him a bunch of stuff including fixing his car.  Long story short, I tell him how to change his oil, and he does it.  Drains the tranny fluid instead of the oil.  Tells me I should pay the bill.  I give him a choice, I stop teaching him remodeling, finances etc and give him $85 and walk or....  So after making $3500 in 4 weeks....  I grew up in the country and him the ghetto.

To the jackass who said I undercut.  Funny thing is professionals who I work with are so sick of "contractors" not showing up (they put stuff off), that I am winning the lottery to them.  Amazing what respecting people does...  Sorry for stepping on your toes...
View Quote

Before you start calling people jackasses you might read over what you've put on an open forum. And as far as I'm concerned you can call it whatever kind of practices you want they .its not good business
and if you think about it really not very moral.

This isn't making sense. op says he told the kid  how to change oil in his car. And the kids drain the transmission fluid. Kids tells  Op to pay for the mistake. And he does he pays the kids $85 .this makes absolutely no sense whatsoever there's more to the story or the Op Is don't know brain-dead! Or the is
At giving instructions.
This isn't making sense. op says he he told  how to change oil in his car. And the kids drain the transmission fluid
. Kids aids Op to pay for the mistake. And he does he pays the kids $85 .this makes absolutely no sense whatsoever there's more to the story
or the Op Is don't know brain-dead!
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:44:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

He was teaching the employee how to change his oil and the employee fucked up and drained the tranny and it cost $85 to fix.

OP said fine I will give you $85 if you want for the fuck up but if I do you are done working for me.

Employee took the $85 and split so he basically pissed away a $3500 a month job for $85.
View Quote

I understood it that way too.

But is now about government regulations.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:45:43 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

If it only cost you $85 to find out that he's a screw up, I'd say it was
well worth it.  At least he didn't fuck up one of your projects and end
up costing you a lot more in time and money down the line.

Yes,
it sucks, but it's not worth getting worked up at this point (at least
not to me).  I'd chalk it up to experience and move on.
View Quote

If a motherfucker is so dumb he drained his trans instead of his oil pan good riddance $85 well spent

He was going to royally fuck up something in the future

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:46:47 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Running a welding truck, off and on, since 1979.

None of which supports your blind presumption slandering OP.

ETA: Wow, "ignore" doesn't work on Site Mods/Staff. Just learned this.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Free market economy, how does it work?

And how did you extrapolate this into OP's business practices without so much as a smidge of information in support of same?

20yrs in the trades.

How about you?

Running a welding truck, off and on, since 1979.

None of which supports your blind presumption slandering OP.

ETA: Wow, "ignore" doesn't work on Site Mods/Staff. Just learned this.

LOL!  

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:50:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I helped a guy down on his luck get three nice jobs in a row (PLC, Software engineer and then lead tech) through connections.  He ended up grenading in each respective job because he had some personality quirk that made him give up halfway in.  

Right now I'm trying to decide if I want to call in favors one more time to help him out, or not.
View Quote

3 soon to be 4 times. Your a decent man.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:53:34 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Well, OP never said whether he was licensed or not but he did say that he had to pull permits for his work. Do you have to be licensed to get permits?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

When pro-freedom people are trying to enforce government regulation, it's embarrassing to us all.

So you trust the safety of your home to just anyone that can swing a hammer?

Nope. You see, I'm perfectly capable of selecting who will be best suited to work on my home without the government holding my hand.

If you aren't, then that's on you. Fucking nanny state people.....

lol

I'm in Texas, there's no such thing as a contractor's license here and we are better for it. You and I agree there.

In states where licensure is required by law, scabs go around doing cheap work for cheap prices and the bad part is that the client has little to no recourse. If you don't like the law, change it. Don't get pissy when people DO work to follow the laws and get fucked.
Well, OP never said whether he was licensed or not but he did say that he had to pull permits for his work. Do you have to be licensed to get permits?  
It Easy to get around working when you can't pull a permit as a contractor to do the work.  Some unlicensed contractors will just have the homeowner pull the permit with an owner/builder affidavit.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:58:16 PM EDT
[#42]
wondering if OPs 50-75K i gross or net

because if gross just insurance for a company and a employee or 2 will eat up damn near 1/2 that  depending on trade
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:58:35 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote
Are we sure the OP pointed to the correct plug? Maybe the kid actually drained the plug that the OP pointed to and that is why he feels he is owed the $85.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 12:08:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

If a motherfucker is so dumb he drained his trans instead of his oil pan good riddance $85 well spent

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If it only cost you $85 to find out that he's a screw up, I'd say it was well worth it.  At least he didn't fuck up one of your projects and end up costing you a lot more in time and money down the line.

Yes, it sucks, but it's not worth getting worked up at this point (at least not to me).  I'd chalk it up to experience and move on.

What I'm wondering is if the op instructed him on exactly which plug to drain, and trusted him just following instructions and that's why he feels ops responsible. Or if the kid just wants to blame someone else for his screw up.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 12:10:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Some people will never understand the whole "licensed contractor" thing.

I am a painting contractor. We do mostly commercial work, hospitals, a lot for the city and county and a few houses and apartment complexes.

To paint a house built pre '78, I have to have my lead renovators license. This is to protect the occupants of the building. It really irks me to drive by a house or apartment complex that would cost me twice as much to prep and paint correctly as a post '78 building, to see painters out there that I know aren't licensed, doing the job incorrectly. I would get fined up the ass for that. But these assholes have nothing to lose. They can't lose their license, they'd get a few fines that they'd never pay.

I'm all for deregulation, but it has to be an even playing field for all.

I am not going to complain about guys that do a few side jobs for friends and family, but I know of "contractors" in town that pay guys in cash while they collect unemployment. Fuck them with a rusty rake

ETA- OP, quit crying over $85. That is the cost of business and good help is hard to find. The whole story is hard for me to make sense of. Maybe he is just young and immature. Hell, sounds like you offered him that option. You were in control of the situation.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 12:13:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
wondering if OPs 50-75K i gross or net
because if gross just insurance for a company and a employee or 2 will eat up damn near 1/2 that  depending on trade
View Quote

It takes me $240k gross to keep about $100k.

That's materials and all the line items mentioned above.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 12:32:37 AM EDT
[#47]
OP, do you pay taxes on that extra income?  

I know that's the legal thing to do, but I was wondering how you could file taxes on that without getting dinged for not having a license.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 12:32:47 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
If he can still make a profit, why not? Hell man, I do some work as a hobby. I don't even need to a profit, or even charge them at all!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Been in construction for 30+ years, done my fair share of side work.

Here's what I don't get:

Why would you work for significantly less that other contractors? Particularly if your work is above par compared to others?

DISCLAIMER: ASSUMING that the term "undercutting" is implying that OP is doing jobs several hundred dollars (or more) cheaper, for example.

If he can still make a profit, why not? Hell man, I do some work as a hobby. I don't even need to a profit, or even charge them at all!
What you are describing just hurts the industry as a whole. Should I drive the installation price of a square foot of tile down to $1.00 because I don't need the money?

I have dealt with the effects of undercutting in my field for over 20 years. The worst offenders don't pay prevailing wage or pay by the piece  thereby evading the same wages I legally pay. And comp.

What happens if I don't have my licenses and certificates? I don't get paid.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 12:39:10 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Even the best of friends can't agree on everything!

If I were to make my point without being a dick like I have done this entire thread though, would be this:

The free market has already solved the issue of "who is qualified" in a number of markets.

IT workers have certifications, mechanics have ASE, etc, etc. Insurance and bonding, along with workers benefits should be something the customer requires or something that is agreed upon by the employee and employer. Hell, maybe I don't need workman's comp insurance because I'm covered under my wife's plan.

We don't need the gooberment to tell us who's good and who's not.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I added to this post last page, brah. Go back and read.

Even the best of friends can't agree on everything!

If I were to make my point without being a dick like I have done this entire thread though, would be this:

The free market has already solved the issue of "who is qualified" in a number of markets.

IT workers have certifications, mechanics have ASE, etc, etc. Insurance and bonding, along with workers benefits should be something the customer requires or something that is agreed upon by the employee and employer. Hell, maybe I don't need workman's comp insurance because I'm covered under my wife's plan.

We don't need the gooberment to tell us who's good and who's not.

Been in IT for over twenty years, last certification exam I took was in 2001.  Will probably take one this year only because I have it as a personal goal at work (consulting company, having certs is considered quite beneficial when the account managers are trying to place someone at a client).

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 12:52:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
What you are describing just hurts the industry as a whole. Should I drive the installation price of a square foot of tile down to $1.00 because I don't need the money?    

View Quote

I'd rather it hurt the industry than have the government regulate the little people out of business.

Mostly because the regulations only hurt the legit small companies. The ones who don't give a fuck aren't going to give a fuck either way.

It's like gun laws.

Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top