BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:25:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Says the guy who enforces the laws, or do you only do that when it bennifits your argument?

Having workers comp and paying taxes is the law in case you were unaware.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was looking into also getting him a 401K.  Dude I make $150K in my real job and $50K-75 doing remodeling. Don't try to judge me because you are a failure.  Anymore questions?

Fuck the guys who think people working on the side need to be 'regulated by the government'.

Fuck them with a rusty rake.

Yeah, I am all for government deregulation, in fact I hope like hell they step the fuck out of my life, but they won't and I make my living and feed three mouths by running a legit business and paying my taxes and dues. I don't like guys who undercut me by not following the same rules I am forced to.

BTW- Aren't you in law enforcement? That's some irony.

How does me hating government regulation make anything ironic? Do you even know what that means?

Says the guy who enforces the laws, or do you only do that when it bennifits your argument?

Having workers comp and paying taxes is the law in case you were unaware.

Please demonstrate where OP has stated or otherwise provided data in support of your scurrilous accusations against him, in re: compliance with laws.
Are you really Site Staff or a Mod? You should be ashamed of yourself.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:27:26 PM EDT
[#2]
wunbadweel thank you, but it doesn't look like I am going to get my answer on why people do what they do.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:27:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
OP talks about undercutting all the other remodelers in the area...complains about getting screwed over....
View Quote

lemme guess.....you are union?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:28:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:30:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Post up your GC license, workers comp cert, insurance, and bonding and I will mail you the money for a 12pk of beer. I have done this for many arfcommers when I have eaten crow. If you want you can email me privately, I will PM you my personal email address.

If I am wrong I will apologize and pay up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a funny feeling the guys changing the subject are the ones who call a week late, show up 4 hours late and remove load bearing walls...

Post up your GC license, workers comp cert, insurance, and bonding and I will mail you the money for a 12pk of beer. I have done this for many arfcommers when I have eaten crow. If you want you can email me privately, I will PM you my personal email address.

Forget my submission, above, that you should be ashamed.
The Site should be at this point, though.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:30:55 PM EDT
[#6]
ZW17 send me a naked pic of your wife/mom or my guess blow up doll and I will be happy too.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:31:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a funny feeling the guys changing the subject are the ones who call a week late, show up 4 hours late and remove load bearing walls...

You and I don't agree often.

When pro-freedom people are trying to enforce government regulation, it's embarrassing to us all.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:36:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I helped a guy down on his luck get three nice jobs in a row (PLC, Software engineer and then lead tech) through connections.  He ended up grenading in each respective job because he had some personality quirk that made him give up halfway in.  

Right now I'm trying to decide if I want to call in favors one more time to help him out, or not.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:36:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

When pro-freedom people are trying to enforce government regulation, it's embarrassing to us all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right; we don't. But we sure as hell do here.
This one is a sham - baseless character assassination, especially embarrassing when fomented by someone associated with the way the Site is moderated.
Or maybe I missed the part where OP stated he was engaged in shady, unlawful business practices? That's right, he didn't.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:38:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Fuck the guys who think people working on the side need to be 'regulated by the government'.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was looking into also getting him a 401K.  Dude I make $150K in my real job and $50K-75 doing remodeling. Don't try to judge me because you are a failure.  Anymore questions?

This. This right there.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:39:43 PM EDT
[#11]
RedDane thank you.  First guy on topic.  I have a one strike claus, only because I go over and above what any person would.

Don't let someone ruin your name....   Sound like a good dude, and I know the field, I'm now an Infrastructure PM
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:45:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

How so. Licensed contractors have to carry a bond, insurance, continuing ed and a plethora of other gov. costs. OP did not say if he was licensed but I assume not because he is able to undercut others. I dunno.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP talks about undercutting all the other remodelers in the area...complains about getting screwed over....

LOL, that's on par with being the most retarded post I've read today.

How so. Licensed contractors have to carry a bond, insurance, continuing ed and a plethora of other gov. costs. OP did not say if he was licensed but I assume not because he is able to undercut others. I dunno.

I have seen and cleaned up many a mess made by licensed contractors, many of them have a whole crew of illegals working under their license.
The license process is annoying, time consuming and difficult in the government hoops one has to go through to get it. It isn't "hard" per se, I would bet with proper studying any fairly intelligent person (regardless of experience)  could pass the exams.
It doesn't make you a better, smarter or more skilled contractor. In fact 50% of the test is contract law and laws regulating how you do business and how the government and/or clients can screw you.
At least in my state you do not have to have liability insurance, the required bond costs ~$100/yr.

Disclaimer: Newly licensed contractor with 15 years trade experience.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:48:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Kind of gay, the way it happened.  I taught him a bunch of stuff including fixing his car.  Long story short, I tell him how to change his oil, and he does it.  Drains the tranny fluid instead of the oil.  Tells me I should pay the bill.  I give him a choice, I stop teaching him remodeling, finances etc and give him $85 and walk or....  So after making $3500 in 4 weeks....  I grew up in the country and him the ghetto.

To the jackass who said I undercut.  Funny thing is professionals who I work with are so sick of "contractors" not showing up (they put stuff off), that I am winning the lottery to them.  Amazing what respecting people does...  Sorry for stepping on your toes...
View Quote

WAT?.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:49:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Atomic_Ferret AMEN!!!! I can't believe what lazy people do.  Load bearing walls, bad sealing etc...  I see my customers everyday at work so you know i have to be at a better standard.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:50:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Kind of gay, the way it happened.  I taught him a bunch of stuff including fixing his car.  Long story short, I tell him how to change his oil, and he does it.  Drains the tranny fluid instead of the oil.  Tells me I should pay the bill.  I give him a choice, I stop teaching him remodeling, finances etc and give him $85 and walk or....  So after making $3500 in 4 weeks....  I grew up in the country and him the ghetto.

View Quote

sounds like you screwed yourself out of $85 by giving it to him.  The fault is with ghetto buddy, he's the one that fucked up, don't see where you're on the hook to pay $85

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:52:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

This makes me think less of you as a human being.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:54:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://image14.spreadshirt.com/image-server/v1/compositions/20095527/views/1,width=236,height=236,appearanceId=1/Watch-Out-We-Got-A-Badass-Over-Here-T-Shirt-Hoodies.jpg
This makes me think less of you as a human being.

Yep, I hate all people who make good money and work hard at two jobs.

Fortunately, I don't hate you given these criteria!!!

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:54:54 PM EDT
[#18]
AssaultRifler I would rather learn someone's character for $85 rather than when doing a $15,000 job.  I'm happy I learned when I did.  Most jobs are for friends.  My problem is WHY?????
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:55:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Atomic_Ferret AMEN!!!! I can't believe what lazy people do.  Load bearing walls, bad sealing etc...  I see my customers everyday at work so you know i have to be at a better standard.
View Quote

I am markedly more expensive then pretty much all of my competition, even my former employer from whom I inherited a couple of clients when the company imploded.
Have had a few of them ask me my rates, I tell them and they quip "you are more expensive then the people you used to work for"
My response to that is "And where are they now?"
Client "oh yeah….. So, when can you start".

Do your shit right, show up when you say you will and take pride in your work and you are ahead of 90% of your competition.
Those who want to shop on price can go elsewhere for all I care.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:57:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I am markedly more expensive then pretty much all of my competition, even my former employer from whom I inherited a couple of clients when the company imploded.
Have had a few of them ask me my rates, I tell them and they quip "you are more expensive then the people you used to work for"

Do your shit right, show up when you say you will and take pride in your work and you are ahead of 90% of your competition.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here. My rate is probably almost double what others in my market charge, yet, I still manage to get plenty of business.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:57:58 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:00:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Maybe I just need some coffee, but I think I  need a translator to understand what this means.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe I just need some coffee, but I think I  need a translator to understand what this means.

Um, yeah... I hope his IT comms are better for us end users...
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:02:35 PM EDT
[#23]
If it only cost you $85 to find out that he's a screw up, I'd say it was well worth it.  At least he didn't fuck up one of your projects and end up costing you a lot more in time and money down the line.

Yes, it sucks, but it's not worth getting worked up at this point (at least not to me).  I'd chalk it up to experience and move on.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:02:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, there is at least one idiot here, so the two of you are probably better off parting ways before someone pours concrete down the garbage disposal.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:03:08 PM EDT
[#25]
After all the internal theft investigations I have had to investigate at my old loss prevention jobs... it's mind boggling the relatively small amount of money people will throw their jobs away for.  Like one dude was stealing red bulls from by the registers every morning.  Threw his ~$18/hr job away by stealing a $3 drink when he came in to work (did it daily for months).  Fucking retard.  Dude had like 3 or 4 kids too.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:03:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Screw it, I give up on the topic.  I have a good friend at work who needed 4 days of work done by winter.  He called 2 people who never called back until he realized his cig buddy did this type of thing.  We just finished up and he his happy as hell.  Referred me to 4 of his friends...
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:03:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Free market economy, how does it work?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP isn't as good as he thinks he is. In this world, you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:04:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If your a legit contractor take his ass to court.

If you are unlicensed, uninsured, and not paying taxes then keep your mouth shut and take your fucking. You had it coming.
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:04:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:04:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So tell me why he's not as good as he thinks he is? Do you have first hand knowledge of his work?

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:05:18 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

AssaultRifler I would rather learn someone's character for $85 rather than when doing a $15,000 job. I'm happy I learned when I did.  Most jobs are for friends.  My problem is WHY?????
View Quote
Yup. I've left clients owing me a small balance so they won't ever call me again. Funny,they never call me to square up. Works like a charm.

Sometimes the contractor needs to fire the client or sub.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:07:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:08:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You chose poorly.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ZW17 send me a naked pic of your wife/mom or my guess blow up doll and I will be happy too.

You chose poorly.

Headshot?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:09:33 PM EDT
[#34]
maybe it stinks under there and you should try a different deodorant
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:09:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Hey OP, you're listed in here right?

http://www.contractors-license.org/ct/ct.htm

What's the law in CT about unlicensed remodeling work? I know in CA, the homeowner can get all of their money back from you and get to keep your work.

Just wondering.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:11:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Headshot?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You chose poorly.

Headshot?

Two wrongs don't make a right. But I cannot blame OP too much for retaliation; his character was called to question without prompt or reason.
I hope the other malfeasance got addressed as well.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:11:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you trust the safety of your home to just anyone that can swing a hammer?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:11:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Two wrongs don't make a right. But I cannot blame OP too much for retaliation; his character was called to question without prompt or reason.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You chose poorly.

Headshot?

VA is a fair dude, I expect it will.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:12:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. You see, I'm perfectly capable of selecting who will be best suited to work on my home without the government holding my hand.

If you aren't, then that's on you. Fucking nanny state people.....
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:13:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

So tell me why he's not as good as he thinks he is? Do you have first hand knowledge of his work?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's put it this way: He might be great, but damn sure thinks his work sucks.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:13:49 PM EDT
[#41]
I still haven't figured out why OP's pride required him to pay $85 to someone too fuckin' dumb to change the oil in a vehicle, and he didn't deign to answer my question.

Is OP still with us?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:15:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

You see, I might even require that someone who works on my home be able to string a simple sentence together.

Clearly you are not qualified.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:16:06 PM EDT
[#43]
this is a good one
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:17:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Nope. You see, I'm perfectly capable of selecting who will be best suited to work on my home without the government holding my hand.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

I'm in Texas, there's no such thing as a contractor's license here and we are better for it. You and I agree there.

In states where licensure is required by law, scabs go around doing cheap work for cheap prices and the bad part is that the client has little to no recourse. If you don't like the law, change it. Don't get pissy when people DO work to follow the laws and get fucked.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:18:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You see, I might even require that someone who works on my home be able to string a simple sentence together.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

You know what I'm saying and you agree, but you have to save face by pointing out grammatical errors. Nice.

Sucks to be wrong, doesn't it?

ETA: For what it's worth, I like your posts and have always found you to be a voice of reason on ARFCOM. I'm disappointed that we can't agree, here. We haven't had any crossing of paths in the past and I don't want to be "that guy" on your radar, so come back with whatever you feel you need to and I'll drop it.

I'm not feeling too confrontational tonight.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:18:56 PM EDT
[#46]
The answer to your original question is that people don't want to accept personal responsibility and let petty ego ruin long term success.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:18:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The fact wasn't lost on me, and I don't think this thread is going the way the OP intended.

Hey OP, why do you reckon you are entitled to be treated fairly when you are screwing people who are actually trying to make a living. I bet you would be all kinds of pissed off if you got fired from your IT job because they found a Paki that is willing to do your job for $12 bucks an hour.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The fact wasn't lost on me, and I don't think this thread is going the way the OP intended.

Hey OP, why do you reckon you are entitled to be treated fairly when you are screwing people who are actually trying to make a living. I bet you would be all kinds of pissed off if you got fired from your IT job because they found a Paki that is willing to do your job for $12 bucks an hour.

LOL so much butthurt
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:19:41 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
This. This right there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This. This right there.
Fuck scab ass moonlighters that fuck customers over, don't pay taxes, don't do things properly, disappear on jobs and have no accountability. See how that works?

(not speaking of OP, just making an example)
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:20:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

God damn right
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:21:11 PM EDT
[#50]
How far did you go into telling him how to change his oil?

Did you specially point out what to drain?
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top