BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2015 4:01:44 AM EDT
I know they have the same rotating lock up as the Cougar

good, bad, or just meh
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:08:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Meh.  They are staying on the shelves in droves.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:24:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I always have liked mine.  I got trigger work done by a S&W/Beretta competitive shooter and then really started liking it.  Good ergos and very reliable.

They didn't sell super well so you can usually find them very cheap it seems, but there's nothing really the matter.

I have had an issue where the mags won't drop free, but once you start firing it and drop the mag, there's never an issue.  

Essentially under normal operating conditions there's never been a problem, just noticeable if finger fucking it at home.

I am curious about the new striker fired one they have come out, but for now I like this a lot.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:14:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I've noticed that they really don't seem to move
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:34:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I hated mine.

The slide mounted safety was the biggest drawback.

Re-assembly was also a major pain in the ass.  

I would not re-purchase even at a massive discount.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:36:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Hand shredding safety levers, has a decocker, meh ergonomics, slide mount safety... Pass.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:49:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got a compact version.

It's a Beretta. Great quality and 100% reliable.

You either like the slide safety or not. I'm a 92 fan also so it doesn't bother me. I only use it to decock and holster. Then it comes off. The double action pull is long and stiff enough that there is no way I can think of to cause it to fire.

Disassembly is different since it has the rotating barrel but it's nothing out of the ordinary. It's never caused me any issues.  Plenty of YouTube vids if you want to see it

The compact versions seem to sell quickly around here. The full size don't appear to move to quick.

I like mine and carry it regularly when I want something with more capacity than a single stack gun.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:57:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Bill Wilson"s EDC is a PX4 compact. Also Ernest Langdon just got done running a PX4 compact for quite some time. He has a full write up in pistolforum
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 5:07:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I got a Rochester NY PD trade in for $289. They switched to the M&P,which now are being replaced for all the failures. The PX4 I own just plain works with everything I put in it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 5:12:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I shot mine for over 30k rounds.  Never had to change the springs or any parts, never had a stoppage.

It was my first pistol that I ended up selling to a friend that needed a reliable pistol.

If it had a frame mounted safety similar to a 1911, I'd buy another in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 5:13:36 PM EDT
[#10]
PX4 Compact for everyday carry here.  Love mine, no issues.  Great ergonomics and easy to take apart and clean so I don't know why the negative reviews from above.  Used to have a XD but gave that to my father and went with the PX4.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 5:17:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I hated mine.

View Quote

lol please explain yourself.  Re-assembly was a major pain in the ass? It is one of the absolute easiest pistols on the market--ever--to strip and put back together even if you like nothing else about it.

Say the trigger sucks, the grip sucks, the sights suck, high bore axis, slide mounted safety blah blah blah that's fine, but its so incredibly easy to strip.  A one handed operation.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 5:18:08 PM EDT
[#12]
They are fine pistols IMHO.  They have different grip inserts so you can get a good fit to your hand.  Mags are not so cheap, and used to be tough to come by, but better now.

If in the market for a DA or decocker safety pistol they are certainly worth considering.  As mention, Beretta quality, fit and finish are excellent.

Shop around as prices vary widely.  At the local gun show (Nations, in an old home depot) with a bazillion tables, there are probably only 3 vendors that might have one or two and usually the prices are not so good and the pistols travel from show to show a lot (boxes show the wear).  However, the deals seem to be had online, such as gun broker.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 5:21:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
lol please explain yourself.  Re-assembly was a major pain in the ass? It is one of the absolute easiest pistols on the market--ever--to strip and put back together even if you like nothing else about it.

Say the trigger sucks, the grip sucks, the sights suck, high bore axis, slide mounted safety blah blah blah that's fine, but its so incredibly easy to strip.  A one handed operation.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I hated mine.

Easy to strip?  Sure.  

I'm talking about the re-assembly after stripping.  I screwed around with mine for probably 20 minutes trying to get it back together after I took it apart the first time.  I'm sure that it gets much easier/faster after you figure it out, but that first time was a bastard.  

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 5:27:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I really like my PX4 full size 40, have had it for years.
It's a beast to be sure, absolutely no malfunctions in thousands of rounds. Just keeps eating anything I feed it, and it's accurate.

I agree with those that don't like the safety, this is why I converted mine to a G model from an F model, no more safety to have to mess with, just a decocker.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 5:29:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Easy to strip?  Sure.  

I'm talking about the re-assembly after stripping.  I screwed around with mine for probably 20 minutes trying to get it back together after I took it apart the first time.  I'm sure that it gets much easier/faster after you figure it out, but that first time was a bastard.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hated mine.

Easy to strip?  Sure.  

Once I figured out how to realign the barrel and rotating lug it was super easy to reassemble.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 5:30:48 PM EDT
[#16]
20 min? I'm not sure what is so difficult. The parts just fit together like any other pistol.  Did you have issues with the recoil assembly fitting into the groove of the rotating barrel or something?  I have found it to be the most trouble-free reassembly of all.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 1:09:35 AM EDT
[#17]
why the hell couldn't they have made it use 92 mags?

but yeah I'm interested if I can find one at a decent price
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 1:25:19 AM EDT
[#18]
They have a completely ambidextrous version so if you're a lefty they might be something worth looking into.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 1:51:29 AM EDT
[#19]
I had a Cougar that locked up hard when a piece of target paper about 2 square millimeters by some massive freak of chance somehow got between the barrel and breech face while I was shooting (the piece of paper was flat, not bunched up).  God help you if any debris somehow finds its way between the barrel and breech face because you will not get it cleared out quickly.  It turned me off to rotating barrels in general.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 2:33:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Slide-mounted safeties aren't my thing either.

Isn't there a PX4 that doesn't have a safety?
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 2:39:45 AM EDT
[#21]
I have the full size 9mm. I don't mind the slide safety because I just use it to de-cock the gun before I holster it. Fits my hands well, pretty aggressive grip, reliable and mine is dead on. Right now it's the nightstand gun. The trigger lever is plastic is my only real complaint but I haven't looked for a metal replacement to be honest. If you see one cheap I would jump on it.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 3:07:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

The safety can be easily converted to serve as a decocker only, if that's what you're referring to
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 3:33:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The safety can be easily converted to serve as a decocker only, if that's what you're referring to
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No I was referring to the Type C variant, which does not have any lever on the slide. C is for constant trigger pull. It is like a light DA or heavy SA. It fires from a half-cocked hammer position.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:04:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
why the hell couldn't they have made it use 92 mags?

but yeah I'm interested if I can find one at a decent price
View Quote

My understanding is that the grip angle is different. Because of that the feed lip angle is different then there is also the fact that the rotating barrel has a fixed orientation. Since it doesn't tip up at all, this changes the feed lip angle needed to strip and load the next round.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 1:43:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I know several people that bought them during the Sandy Hook panic because they were the only thing still sitting on the shelves.

EAT, lets also not forget this data point:

via Imgflip Meme Maker
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 1:48:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I hated mine.

View Quote

Reassembly is not hard my wife has no problems with hers.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top