User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 13
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 1:47:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That's going to be ugly.

The vessel On which I sailed as Master displaced about 4,900 tons, it could get sporty in rough weather.
View Quote

You mean your flat bottomed barge with a bow?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 1:48:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Good Lord, is that stuff not regulated? When was that tech supposed to be phased out?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If El Faro (the lighthouse) has been lost, I hope her crew is alive in the lifeboats.  Aren't modern lifeboats equipped with some sort of transponder that will emit an emergency beacon?

They should have EPIRBS in them.

One of my old engineers went to SUNY Maritime with the El Faro's chief engineer. It's a small community, more so for the deep sea guys. It doesn't take to many degrees of separation to know of someone who knows someone on this ship.

yes lifeboats have EPIRB's in them. this ship had the old open style boats and old school gravity davits. they work except for the fact that someone has to stay on deck to work the davit to get the boat to the water. then climb down a jacobs ladder to the water and then board the lifeboat

Good Lord, is that stuff not regulated? When was that tech supposed to be phased out?

ships that have them are grandfathered in. boats and davits are expensive as shit and you can't just swap boats out, they're a paired system. you'd be amazed how many ships are still running around with open lifeboats and how many more are running around with gravity davits. hell Maine maritime academy's training ship still has open boats and gravity davits. again. grandfathered in.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 1:57:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

ships that have them are grandfathered in. boats and davits are expensive as shit and you can't just swap boats out, they're a paired system. you'd be amazed how many ships are still running around with open lifeboats and how many more are running around with gravity davits. hell Maine maritime academy's training ship still has open boats and gravity davits. again. grandfathered in.

http://media.tumblr.com/2be55878cf2cc8f16f648cf7f4d2341a/tumblr_inline_mtp63eov561sngnql.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If El Faro (the lighthouse) has been lost, I hope her crew is alive in the lifeboats.  Aren't modern lifeboats equipped with some sort of transponder that will emit an emergency beacon?

They should have EPIRBS in them.

One of my old engineers went to SUNY Maritime with the El Faro's chief engineer. It's a small community, more so for the deep sea guys. It doesn't take to many degrees of separation to know of someone who knows someone on this ship.

yes lifeboats have EPIRB's in them. this ship had the old open style boats and old school gravity davits. they work except for the fact that someone has to stay on deck to work the davit to get the boat to the water. then climb down a jacobs ladder to the water and then board the lifeboat

http://media.tumblr.com/2be55878cf2cc8f16f648cf7f4d2341a/tumblr_inline_mtp63eov561sngnql.jpg

Wow...

You can see the two lifeboats here:
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 1:58:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's going to be ugly.

The vessel On which I sailed as Master displaced about 4,900 tons, it could get sporty in rough weather.

Lol ya, hence the sporty ride.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:07:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Wow...

You can see the two lifeboats here:
http://i.imgur.com/Vq4R8R8.jpg
View Quote

They have multiple canister life rafts as well, more than enough for everyone. Those will self-inflate once they go underwater if the crew doesn't launch them by hand.

Of course the hope is that they won't need them at all.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 5:47:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yeah that's what it looks like, not cool.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah that's what it looks like, not cool.

Here is a container ship with a 15*-20* list:

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:07:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:10:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Any update? Nothing new that I could find in a quick Google news search.
View Quote

The CG suspended their search last night until daylight today.

No one has reported that the ship's EPIRB has gone off, that might be a good sign.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:53:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Hope the crew is found safe.

On the Pacific side of the country they run right through the worst Gulf of Alaska shit on routine every winter bringing our freight. 30 foot seas are routine until you lose propulsion, then you better hope Crowley can get to you before you hit land. The worst I was on was in a State Ferry, seas were as tall as the superstructure and 60 degrees of roll. Every plate and glass in the cafe/bar was broke that night.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:28:08 AM EDT
[#10]
A bit of activity on the the USCG SAR frequency 5696 USB.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:58:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Sad news. Interesting and informational thread.

Praying for the folks involved.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:34:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'll tune that up, thanks.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:10:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Any news ?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:51:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:53:56 AM EDT
[#15]
I worked next to that ship in Baltimore in 2012. It looked like a POS then.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 9:54:52 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

well I'm glad they're still looking.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:11:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any way to tune in on my computer?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:17:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Shame Gordon Lightfoot is dead and can't sing a lame as song about it.
View Quote

Lightfoot has a concert @8pm tonight in San Diego...
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:18:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe one of these links.
http://qsl.net/oe3mzc/receivers.html
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:22:19 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow! I get a major warning for that site.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:36:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got a warning as an attack site.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:02:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Hopefully it just lost it's antennas.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:23:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Any news?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:31:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm not an ocean guy...  is it common to continue steaming INTO a hurricane?
Or, if not for the engineering problems, would they normally have deviated?

View Quote

Taking the storm head on better than taking it broadside.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:32:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

No expert here but these things come to mind

35 Crew means it is a sizeable ship .

15% roll is one thing but a 15% list means sizeable cargo shifting or a good deal of flooding (possible both )

I agree on the bad.

Not sure what happens if a container ship gets to the point where it is sinking . To a certain extent the containers themselves would have a fair bit of buoyancy but they could be breaking loose at some point
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is 15 degrees really that bad?

Yes.

15% roll is one thing but a 15% list means sizeable cargo shifting or a good deal of flooding (possible both )

I agree on the bad.

Not sure what happens if a container ship gets to the point where it is sinking . To a certain extent the containers themselves would have a fair bit of buoyancy but they could be breaking loose at some point

Yes. The moment arm on a list like that on a ship that large is huge. (Remembering naval engineering class from 3 grillion years ago.)
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:37:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:37:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yes. The moment arm on a list like that on a ship that large is huge. (Remembering naval engineering class from 3 grillion years ago.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is 15 degrees really that bad?

Yes.

I agree on the bad.

stability: math class with a change of drowning.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 1:16:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Just found out a friend of mine is the second mate on the El Faro. I'm really hoping I don't have to go a memorial service when I get home from sea next week.

Mike, it's Nauti-deckie.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 1:16:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Prayers for the crew, I'm sure we'll be flying searches once the weather allows. This ship is the one that carried my car from Jax to PR.
View Quote

You be careful out there.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:17:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Prayers for the crew, I'm sure we'll be flying searches once the weather allows. This ship is the one that carried my car from Jax to PR.

+1
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:36:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Stay safe sir. Prayers for your safety and success.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:37:10 PM EDT
[#32]
The storm is moving NE at 14kts and is starting to clear away from The Bahamas. Hopefully the CG will spot the ship soon.

The Crowley tug Sentinel seems to be the rescue tug, she is steaming west in the Providence channel at 13kts.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:43:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I've seen rough seas but we also displaced 90,000 tons...

<a href="http://s808.photobucket.com/user/serinobw/media/Washover.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz7/serinobw/Washover.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s808.photobucket.com/user/serinobw/media/waveoverbow22jan00.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz7/serinobw/waveoverbow22jan00.jpg</a>

When Hurricanes were coming in we'd pull out and stay on the out skirts. Choppy, big swells but I couldn't imagen going into the heart of a category 4 hurricane in that POS!

My buddy got into Merchant Marine work after getting out. I'll text him see if he knows anything.
View Quote

Why keep all the crap on deck like that?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:47:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The storm is moving NE at 14kts and is starting to clear away from The Bahamas. Hopefully the CG will spot the ship soon.

The Crowley tug Sentinel seems to be the rescue tug, she is steaming west in the Providence channel at 13kts.
View Quote

god I hope they find survivors.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:02:07 PM EDT
[#35]
any daylight updates?  has anything arrived in the vicinity of the last known location or is it still too stormy to get close?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:02:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've seen rough seas but we also displaced 90,000 tons...

<a href="http://s808.photobucket.com/user/serinobw/media/Washover.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz7/serinobw/Washover.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s808.photobucket.com/user/serinobw/media/waveoverbow22jan00.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz7/serinobw/waveoverbow22jan00.jpg</a>

When Hurricanes were coming in we'd pull out and stay on the out skirts. Choppy, big swells but I couldn't imagen going into the heart of a category 4 hurricane in that POS!

My buddy got into Merchant Marine work after getting out. I'll text him see if he knows anything.

No room to keep it anywhere else.  You cant fit everything in the hangar bay.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:26:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
any daylight updates?  has anything arrived in the vicinity of the last known location or is it still too stormy to get close?
View Quote

I would think the CG would of found it by now. Sat images look clear to scattered clouds in vicinity.
I fear the worst.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:41:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Just found out a friend of mine is the second mate on the El Faro. I'm really hoping I don't have to go a memorial service when I get home from sea next week.

Mike, it's Nauti-deckie.
View Quote

I'm sorry. I've lost friends at sea, here's hoping you don't have that experience here.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:44:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I would think the CG would of found it by now. Sat images look clear to scattered clouds in vicinity.
I fear the worst.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I fear the worst.

I am too. They should have found the ship, debris, life rafts, an EPIRB, or something by now. I hope this isnt another Marine Electric disaster.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:09:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I am too. They should have found the ship, debris, life rafts, an EPIRB, or something by now. I hope this isnt another Marine Electric disaster.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I fear the worst.

the fact that they haven't found anything, at all. puts a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:15:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

the fact that they haven't found anything, at all. puts a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I fear the worst.

Sadly I don't see how it would be possible to abandon ship and get into life rafts or life boats in 100+ winds.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:19:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Well if the ship did sink hopefully they got their survival suits on. They could last days in the water.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:23:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Well if the ship did sink hopefully they got their survival suits on. They could last days in the water.  
View Quote

In 100+ winds and sea's. I hope your right.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:26:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ask the crew of the bounty just how easy it was to get into survival suits in 80+ winds during sandy.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:30:28 PM EDT
[#45]
How deep is the water in the area where the ship seems to be lost ?

Sad event, prayers for all souls onboard.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:32:18 PM EDT
[#46]
This is going to be tough day at Maine Maritime. There are reports that as many as six are from the school. Including the Capt and a guy who graduated just this spring.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:38:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
This is going to be tough day at Maine Maritime. There are reports that as many as six are from the school. Including the Capt and a guy who graduated just this spring.
View Quote

The current academy president Issued a statement about it earlier today.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:39:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:55:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
How deep is the water in the area where the ship seems to be lost ?

Sad event, prayers for all souls onboard.

View Quote

10,000'?  It's off the shelf of the Abacos.  I hit 9,000'+ out there if memory serves, and I wasn't out that far.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 5:05:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

This is correct.

Also these guys are operating off of weather routing software taking forecasts often a day or two old. I don't know how their software was set up but we had comprehensive forecasts coming in to the deck officers every morning, but the data was already usually a day old by the time it got there.

Some ships don't use a weatherfax any more to get real time data from NOAA, or may be out of range of any transmitting station since it's still radio based.

Navtex alerts or weather alerts over GMDSS (automated & emergency HF/satellite/telex comms console) are sometimes the only real-time alerts some of the ships will have about weather.

I don't know what this ship's capabilities were w.r.t internet at sea, as not all have internet on demand via Inmarsat, etc. yet. If they did they could check real-time forecasts.

Now that all being said I do know on some of the ships I worked on, there were certain captains known for purposefully failing to avoid weather.
View Quote

I know it's easy to judge from a nice cozy office on land, but how in the hell does a multi-million dollar vessel with 30+ souls aboard dance with an unpredictable CAT-4 hurricane on old weather data?  My God - satellite weather is available for a few dollars a month.  In corporate America - you have to justify risk in excess of $100K and costs in excess of $25K to exec management.  How can a Captain not have anyone that he reports to that says "hey, let's talk about our plan with this big spinny cloud thing before you cast off......" ??

I apologize if it's not the time to ask questions like this, but I ask in the spirit of understanding - not indicting.  It's great that we have several merchant mariners on here, and I'm sure there's a good explanation.  I suspect it's purely a cost and that "I'm the captain of the ship" thing.  The Jones Act thing still pisses me off to this day, and is a great example of how "soundbite legislation" (stuff that sounds good to the uneducated when presented in soundbites) destroyed people's lives.  It is truly scary to realize just how small the margins are on commercial marine-based transportation these days, and how many corners are cut.  It seems like the more technologically advanced we become - the more politics and human nature hold us back....
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top