Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 13
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 8:08:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Hoping the Master and crew are ok, but this is real bad. 80 foot waves. Most I saw was maybe 20-40 foot crossing the Atlantic in December. That is one bad ass tug too. Looks like about 18 foot draft on her.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 8:11:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From another site:

There's another thread on this but I have some insider info.

I'm a Deck Officer in the Merchant Marine. Been shipping out for 20 years now.

This freighter, The El Faro, was due to sink. I know guys working on there. The Captain was a psychotic prick. The ship was in such disrepair that the crew shoveled rust scale off the deck like it was freshly fallen snow.

The boat was always having problems. It was certainly not sea worthy. This same Captain has taken the ship into other storms. Namely a North Atlantic storm where they lost a cargo of new BMW's coming from Europe.

But this incident is beyond comprehension. No ship master would ever steam directly with full intentions into the heart of a Catrgory 4 Hurricane. He left Jacksonville knowing damn well what the conditions were. He went straight for it. In my experience this appears to be some kind of suicide mission.

There were 33 guys onboard. The last contact they received from the ship was that they had lost power and were beset by the storm. We are talking 80 foot waves.

Some ships can handle that hove too if they can keep their engines running. But when you lose your power plant its game set match. Ships always turn broad to the see. The waves effect what's called a synchronous roll going from deck edge to deck edge until the righting moment is lost and she sinks like a brick.

The crew had to have known they were going to die. There's no way this ship is still floating. Not a chance in hell. Maybe they will pick up some survivors. But I doubt it.

Anyway, this whole thing stinks to me.

[link to www.firstcoastnews.com]

Apprarently 33 men is a grossly oversized crew for a ship this size, 24 is typical.
View Quote

Reminds me of reading an older book of a tug captain from before WW2 to the 60's or 70's.  Sometimes people do things with crap boats for the insurance money.  If that's the case then the Capt and company need a reckoning.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 8:13:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Hoping the Master and crew are ok, but this is real bad. 80 foot waves. Most I saw was maybe 20-40 foot crossing the Atlantic in December. That is one bad ass tug too. Looks like about 18 foot draft on her.
View Quote
If this can be considered good news, the Coast Guard puts the waves at 30ft. not 80ft.

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 8:14:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The guys at the gcaptain.com forum (a professional mariner forum) are confirming that the El Faro has open life boats on davits.

Also an unconfirmed report that an EPIRB is going off that is assigned to the ship.

Crowley Maritime has sent an Invader class tug (6000hp) out to help the ship. If there is any tug on this earth that can take a beating it's an Invader class boat.

View Quote

I just googled "invader class tug"........that's a lot of boat.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 8:26:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

LIGHT DRAFT 17'
LOADED DRAFT 20'

http://www.crowley.com/What-We-Do/Marine-Solutions/Vessel-Specifications/Tugs/Invader-Class-9000-Series
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 8:28:34 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LIGHT DRAFT 17'
LOADED DRAFT 20'

http://www.crowley.com/What-We-Do/Marine-Solutions/Vessel-Specifications/Tugs/Invader-Class-9000-Series

155,000 gallons of fuel!
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 8:29:07 PM EDT
[#7]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LIGHT DRAFT 17'
LOADED DRAFT 20'

badass tugs
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 8:46:17 PM EDT
[#8]
. jSaw something about crew manifest including 5 Polish nationals.. My guess was they had riders from Poland,  probably tech reps involved in some engineering project requiring them to sail with them.  hopefully not something to do with losing the plant at sea. Probably some cadets as  well.  typical crew size for this type of shop 20ish.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 8:54:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I've seen rough seas but we also displaced 90,000 tons...

When Hurricanes were coming in we'd pull out and stay on the out skirts. Choppy, big swells but I couldn't imagen going into the heart of a category 4 hurricane in that POS!

My buddy got into Merchant Marine work after getting out. I'll text him see if he knows anything.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 8:57:46 PM EDT
[#10]
It always drives me nuts seeing video/pics of salt spray covering billions of dollars in 'equipment'.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:00:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It always drives me nuts seeing video/pics of salt spray covering billions of dollars in 'equipment'.
View Quote

and the alternative is?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:01:32 PM EDT
[#12]
My wife's uncle was on the USS Hull (DD350) in WW2. We was wounded and got off, but it sank in a typhoon in the Pacific.

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:03:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s808.photobucket.com/user/serinobw/media/Washover.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz7/serinobw/Washover.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s808.photobucket.com/user/serinobw/media/waveoverbow22jan00.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz7/serinobw/waveoverbow22jan00.jpg</a>

When Hurricanes were coming in we'd pull out and stay on the out skirts. Choppy, big swells but I couldn't imagen going into the heart of a category 4 hurricane in that POS!

My buddy got into Merchant Marine work after getting out. I'll text him see if he knows anything.
View Quote

Billy,
Was that on the first cruise, Truman's that is?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:04:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
. jSaw something about crew manifest including 5 Polish nationals.. My guess was they had riders from Poland,  probably tech reps involved in some engineering project requiring them to sail with them.  hopefully not something to do with losing the plant at sea. Probably some cadets as  well.  typical crew size for this type of shop 20ish.
View Quote

guess that would account for the extra people onboard, 33 is a big crew for a merchant ship these days
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:09:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It's amazing this stuff still happened. Bad news
View Quote

I was thinking the same thing.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:15:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Damn
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:16:39 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

If El Faro (the lighthouse) has been lost, I hope her crew is alive in the lifeboats.  Aren't modern lifeboats equipped with some sort of transponder that will emit an emergency beacon?
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:17:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

badass tugs
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LIGHT DRAFT 17'
LOADED DRAFT 20'

badass tugs

Badass crew to man her.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:18:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

and the alternative is?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

and the alternative is?

Maybe rock a soft top ala Jeep Wrangler?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:36:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Here is the last position noted via one source.

El Faro position

That point is close to and east of Great Abaco island in the Bahamas.  That island is east of Grand Bahamas island.

View Quote

What in the world would put them there right now? That's directly in the path of the hurricane, and completely outside of any protection.  Losing power sure sounds like a game-over event in that kind of storm.  Those carriers like to pass right by "hole in the wall" on the southeast end of the Abacos.  I've jockeyed around a few of them there.  

I was just in Elbow and Little Harbor a few weeks ago.  Here's a memorial to mariners lost near that same area to a U-boat in WWII:

They were hit about 50 miles offshore - very close to the last reported sighting of El Faro.  The crewmen survived the attack, manned lifeboats, but were then killed trying to get to land.  Here's what the coast of that entire area looks like.  The very shallow reef extends about a mile from shore along the entire length.  I'm not suggesting this has any real bearing in a CAT-4 hurricane, but their only slight chance of reaching land is through this minefield .  There is NOTHING else anywhere near there.  

My thoughts and prayers go out to these 33 mariners and all the great people we know in the Bahamas that are weathering this storm.  This is probably bigger than we realize right now.  I'm seriously considering loading up and heading back to help.  That place is a poverty-stricken mess in good times.  It's going to be horrible over the next few months.  

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:44:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Billy,
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s808.photobucket.com/user/serinobw/media/Washover.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz7/serinobw/Washover.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s808.photobucket.com/user/serinobw/media/waveoverbow22jan00.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz7/serinobw/waveoverbow22jan00.jpg</a>

Billy,

Yes sir, crossing the med, was like that all the way over.

My buddy didn't know anything about the El Faro.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:31:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

when there's bad weather coming you want to get out of the gulf stream, fast. generally you try to get east of it so you have more water to play with.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can understand leaving port and getting shit done but what I don't understand is the route they took.

Common sense would tell me that if there were a big storm brewin' that I would stay nearer to the coast and definitely west of the Bahamas.

I was out today and from shore on out to about 20 miles it was a swimming pool compared to what those boys must be in.

http://www.pbcgov.com/webcams/slwi/inl001.jpg

http://video-monitoring.com/beachcams/lakeworthinlet/pics/s8/aug2415s/o021740g.jpg  

when there's bad weather coming you want to get out of the gulf stream, fast. generally you try to get east of it so you have more water to play with.  

Not just that, but when they sailed the forecast was still calling for the storm to run along the coast.  So heading out was the right call at that time.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:44:14 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
What in the world would put them there right now? That's directly in the path of the hurricane, and completely outside of any protection.  Losing power sure sounds like a game-over event in that kind of storm.  Those carriers like to pass right by "hole in the wall" on the southeast end of the Abacos.  I've jockeyed around a few of them there.  

I was just in Elbow and Little Harbor a few weeks ago.  Here's a memorial to mariners lost near that same area to a U-boat in WWII:

https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t31.0-8/11709920_859333357485194_1273545225942246711_o.jpg

They were hit about 50 miles offshore - very close to the last reported sighting of El Faro.  The crewmen survived the attack, manned lifeboats, but were then killed trying to get to land.  Here's what the coast of that entire area looks like.  The very shallow reef extends about a mile from shore along the entire length.  I'm not suggesting this has any real bearing in a CAT-4 hurricane, but their only slight chance of reaching land is through this minefield .  There is NOTHING else anywhere near there.  

https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t31.0-8/11713908_859320607486469_1061371328860897784_o.jpg

My thoughts and prayers go out to these 33 mariners and all the great people we know in the Bahamas that are weathering this storm.  This is probably bigger than we realize right now.  I'm seriously considering loading up and heading back to help.  That place is a poverty-stricken mess in good times.  It's going to be horrible over the next few months.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Here is the last position noted via one source.

El Faro position

That point is close to and east of Great Abaco island in the Bahamas.  That island is east of Grand Bahamas island.

https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t31.0-8/11709920_859333357485194_1273545225942246711_o.jpg

https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t31.0-8/11713908_859320607486469_1061371328860897784_o.jpg

If you decide to go and have some room I would like to help.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 11:43:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
They were going from Jacksonville to Puerto Rico. Is it normal from them to sail off into a hurricane like that ?
View Quote

Not if they look at the weather reports.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 11:48:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What kind of lifeboats do they have on those? Any chance they could've gotten off the ship?
View Quote

Taking an educated guess, they have big ones on ramps, they man up, fasten the seatbelts and drop over the side.  But you need to be on the downhill side.  Also probably several encapsulated inflatable.  They can be dropped manually overboard and then activated, or when they go down with the ship a pressure lock releases them and they come up and inflate.

That is a nasty situation because probably containers will also come bobbing up to the surface, getting hit by a container shooting up is not healthy.  

The problem is that the decision to abandon ship is going to be made by the guy that thought sailing toward a hurricane was a good idea, or the mate that couldn't talk him out of it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 11:54:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Taking an educated guess, they have big ones on ramps, they man up, fasten the seatbelts and drop over the side.  But you need to be on the downhill side.  Also probably several encapsulated inflatable.  They can be dropped manually overboard and then activated, or when they go down with the ship a pressure lock releases them and they come up and inflate.

That is a nasty situation because probably containers will also come bobbing up to the surface, getting hit by a container shooting up is not healthy.  

The problem is that the decision to abandon ship is going to be made by the guy that thought sailing toward a hurricane was a good idea, or the mate that couldn't talk him out of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What kind of lifeboats do they have on those? Any chance they could've gotten off the ship?

Nope. El Faro has open topped davit launched lifeboats. The old style.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 11:55:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I wonder what the metacentric height is with all of those containers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is 15 degrees really that bad?

Depends. In flat calm seas it's worrisome; in the middle of a hurricane it's pretty bad.

Looking at the links above, it is listed as a ro-ro, With a fair deckload of containers and not a shit load of vehicles, yeah, they could be in trouble.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:00:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Looking at the links above, it is listed as a ro-ro, With a fair deckload of containers and not a shit load of vehicles, yeah, they could be in trouble.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends. In flat calm seas it's worrisome; in the middle of a hurricane it's pretty bad.

the big problem with RO-RO's is once water is in the cargo decks there little keeping it from moving all the way from one side to the other, free surfce effect has sunk many vessels over the years, get cars breaking loose and moving with the water and you've got a real recipe for disaster
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:00:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Reading the descriptions of steaming through a storm on smaller ships (WWII-era destroyers) is interesting.  Talking about how when the ship rolled one could almost walk on the bulkheads before it rolled back the other way.  That would be incredibly disconcerting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

it's hard to describe just how disconcerting big rolls can be, and some of the sounds ships make in heavy weather.

Reading the descriptions of steaming through a storm on smaller ships (WWII-era destroyers) is interesting.  Talking about how when the ship rolled one could almost walk on the bulkheads before it rolled back the other way.  That would be incredibly disconcerting.

I recall an interview with the CO of the USCG ship that was out looming for the Edmund Fitzgerald.  IIRC, he said they took a wave and his XO flew across the bridge and ended up standing on the hatch to the outside.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:03:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I wonder what the cause of the flooding is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Interstate Highway system allows a 6% grade - three degrees - because any more than that is too steep an incline.

Fifteen degrees is very bad. The Tower Of Pisa had to be restored when the lean angle was five and a half degrees.

bear in mind we're not talking about roll, we're talking about list. BIG difference. 15 degree list, loss of the powerplant plus the vessel reported flooding. very, very, very bad.

I wonder what the cause of the flooding is.

Looking at the pics, it appears there is a large opening for the ro-ro ramp, just forward of the deckhouse.    But for water to be getting up there, they are already in big trouble.  I can't think they'd be getting enough rain to have it be a problem.  

Assuming of course, their watertight integrity was up to snuff and they set it in time, and pumps worked.  

OTOH, hogging and sagging?  breaking hull members?  then they would be in big trouble fast.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:05:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Shame Gordon Lightfoot is dead and can't sing a lame as song about it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:05:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Not just that, but when they sailed the forecast was still calling for the storm to run along the coast.  So heading out was the right call at that time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can understand leaving port and getting shit done but what I don't understand is the route they took.

Common sense would tell me that if there were a big storm brewin' that I would stay nearer to the coast and definitely west of the Bahamas.

I was out today and from shore on out to about 20 miles it was a swimming pool compared to what those boys must be in.

http://video-monitoring.com/beachcams/lakeworthinlet/pics/s8/aug2415s/o021740g.jpg  

This is correct.

Also these guys are operating off of weather routing software taking forecasts often a day or two old. I don't know how their software was set up but we had comprehensive forecasts coming in to the deck officers every morning, but the data was already usually a day old by the time it got there.

Some ships don't use a weatherfax any more to get real time data from NOAA, or may be out of range of any transmitting station since it's still radio based.

Navtex alerts or weather alerts over GMDSS (automated & emergency HF/satellite/telex comms console) are sometimes the only real-time alerts some of the ships will have about weather.

I don't know what this ship's capabilities were w.r.t internet at sea, as not all have internet on demand via Inmarsat, etc. yet. If they did they could check real-time forecasts.

Now that all being said I do know on some of the ships I worked on, there were certain captains known for purposefully failing to avoid weather.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:05:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

yes lifeboats have EPIRB's in them. this ship had the old open style boats and old school gravity davits. they work except for the fact that someone has to stay on deck to work the davit to get the boat to the water. then climb down a jacobs ladder to the water and then board the lifeboat
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If El Faro (the lighthouse) has been lost, I hope her crew is alive in the lifeboats.  Aren't modern lifeboats equipped with some sort of transponder that will emit an emergency beacon?

They should have EPIRBS in them.

One of my old engineers went to SUNY Maritime with the El Faro's chief engineer. It's a small community, more so for the deep sea guys. It doesn't take to many degrees of separation to know of someone who knows someone on this ship.

yes lifeboats have EPIRB's in them. this ship had the old open style boats and old school gravity davits. they work except for the fact that someone has to stay on deck to work the davit to get the boat to the water. then climb down a jacobs ladder to the water and then board the lifeboat
 Much of a list is going to take one side off the table, much rolling and the other side might not be able to launch the boat with out it beating itself against the side of the ship.  And even if you make, an open boat in a hurricane?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:09:48 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:10:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Going to sea was probably the correct move - the problem was they lost power and ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time.
View Quote

I'm thinking he was expecting it to move and he could get to the southwest quadrant in time to avoid.  The Bahamas aren't much of a weather break.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:13:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

really
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:14:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's going to be ugly.

The vessel On which I sailed as Master displaced about 4,900 tons, it could get sporty in rough weather.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:19:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, if it follows the "normal" tracks and you are far enough north and then you can run down the east side as it tracks north and west,  otherwise south and west so it can track to the north and east of you.  

Not sure what the normal Atlantic tracks are this time of year, in WestPac, most typhoons down by the Philippines tend to track pretty much west.  A little further north and they tend to make the big crescent curve east of Okinawa and shielding behind Okinawa and and Taiwan is a god alternative.

I'm betting he came out of port with the expectation it was going to turn and move north fast enough for him to run south and get behind it.  It didn't he didn't.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:20:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Prayers for the crew, I'm sure we'll be flying searches once the weather allows. This ship is the one that carried my car from Jax to PR.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:30:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Prayers for the crew, I'm sure we'll be flying searches once the weather allows. This ship is the one that carried my car from Jax to PR.
View Quote

god bless you guy and the work you do. I really mean it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:31:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Hoping for the best for the crew.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:32:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
 Much of a list is going to take one side off the table, much rolling and the other side might not be able to launch the boat with out it beating itself against the side of the ship.  And even if you make, an open boat in a hurricane?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of my old engineers went to SUNY Maritime with the El Faro's chief engineer. It's a small community, more so for the deep sea guys. It doesn't take to many degrees of separation to know of someone who knows someone on this ship.

hence why gravity davits and open lifeboats mostly don't exist anymore.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:37:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Yeah, if it follows the "normal" tracks and you are far enough north and then you can run down the east side as it tracks north and west,  otherwise south and west so it can track to the north and east of you.  

Not sure what the normal Atlantic tracks are this time of year, in WestPac, most typhoons down by the Philippines tend to track pretty much west.  A little further north and they tend to make the big crescent curve east of Okinawa and shielding behind Okinawa and and Taiwan is a god alternative.

I'm betting he came out of port with the expectation it was going to turn and move north fast enough for him to run south and get behind it.  It didn't he didn't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

there's an old adage "before you try to beat the odds be sure you can survive the odds beating you"  it looks like he was trying to get east of the stream before it was on top of him. if they had 80ft waves east of the stream I shudder to think about what the stream looked like....
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:43:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

What the fuck is wrong with you?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 1:01:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I love the CG SAR guys.

Some of the other ones...
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 1:07:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was on the bridge for that.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 1:22:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

you don't enjoy inspections?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 1:40:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good Lord, is that stuff not regulated? When was that tech supposed to be phased out?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 1:43:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 1:44:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol.
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top