User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 7:55:03 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's amazing that a man so limited in mobility can still continue to jump the shark
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:11:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Pfffft.  What's next?  Next thing you know they'll be saying there's water on Mars.

With the exception of a nuclear event, I doubt if we'll have a single bit of control over whatever eventually destroys us, whether it be a great flood, a meteor, aliens, mother nature, a virus, etc.  All of those things are plausible, IMO.

Hell, it could end up being an alien virus that rides a meteor to earth during a severe storm and spreads through contaminated flood water.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:28:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Mr. Hawking needs to get laid.

Oh, wait.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Exhibit B

"Science can prove God doesn't exist" from the guy who says "Nomadic Aliens Might Destroy Us".  

Hawking comes across as a bitter man.  

Mr. Hawking needs to get laid.

Oh, wait.

A couple of wives and three kids shows that he beats the average arfcom basement dweller on lifetime tail count.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:36:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Once we finish playing Cowboys and Islamist, we can play Cowboys and Crab-Claws.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 12:16:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

resources. always about the resources.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I remember a SciFi book I read years ago.  At the end, when earth is nearly destroyed - but victorious there is one surviving alien (humanoid, but alien) in a high security military hospital.

When they are questioning him they ask him why his race/species had tried to take over earth (they were kidnapping humans by the hundreds of thousands and taking them up to their ships).

His reply was, "Because we were hungry."

What else motivates any creature to travel, fight, kill - but survival.

Once again, there are no resources on this planet that are particularly uncommon.

Any race with the technology for interstellar travel (assuming such a thing is even possible in a practical sense) could find an abundance of anything we have easily without coming here.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 12:26:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Once again, there are no resources on this planet that are particularly uncommon.

Any race with the technology for interstellar travel (assuming such a thing is even possible in a practical sense) could find an abundance of anything we have easily without coming here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I remember a SciFi book I read years ago.  At the end, when earth is nearly destroyed - but victorious there is one surviving alien (humanoid, but alien) in a high security military hospital.

When they are questioning him they ask him why his race/species had tried to take over earth (they were kidnapping humans by the hundreds of thousands and taking them up to their ships).

Junior Mints.  That has to be it.  Sorry bastards are coming for our Junior Mints.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:49:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Or we might destroy the aliens.

Harry Turtledove wrote a short story in which humans missed discovery of the "gravity drive"  during the age of sail, when most species find it.  Unfortunately this discovery causes the alien races to only create technology that assists them in interstellar travel.  They are otherwise in the days of Christopher Columbus (medicine, food, military tech, etc.).  One of these races (with their awesome blackpowder weaponry) encounters mid 21st century Earth.  

http://www.eyeofmidas.com/scifi/Turtledove_RoadNotTaken.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Road_Not_Taken_(short_story)
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 6:25:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are many, many places where I could hunt deer. But I like going to my buddy's farm a thousand miles away in Missouri.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 7:39:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

There are many, many places where I could hunt deer. But I like going to my buddy's farm a thousand miles away in Missouri.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's ironic because ar15.com has a safari subforum.

Back to the groceries...
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 10:07:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

There is nothing on this planet that can't most likely easily be harvested elsewhere.  We're not that special.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why would anyone expend the time and energy to squash us?

If we have things they want?

This is so pedestrian-obvious I can't believe people need to be told this (or that someone would give an interview and bring it up).   Any species that could make travel time to this solar system practical would have technology that likely would appear like fucking magic to us.   I highly doubt that they would be adherents to Roddenberry's vision of space exploration either.

There is nothing on this planet that can't most likely easily be harvested elsewhere.  We're not that special.

We are the all singing all dancing crap of the universe
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 10:26:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, it wouldn't be about resources, but just because we are here.  

Lets say we are to the aliens what wasps are to us.  Do you wait for the wasps nest to get really fucking big before you stamp it out?

http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/05/fermi-paradox.html
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:44:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The premise of that video isn't about why haven't we detected them. The premise is why they haven't colonized everything with the few billion year head start they should have had.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like cartoons.

http://youtu.be/sNhhvQGsMEc

The problem I have with the Fermi "Paradox," is that it is only a paradox to people who do not understand SNR or scale.

In the video and in the paradox itself there is an incredibly huge, completely untenable, assumption. That if there is other civilization, we would have seen them. Point blank, thats batshit insane talk.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/math/0/6/4/064f990fe46302fb441b2815863c1644.png   aka There could be an incredibly advanced civilization, literally next door to us in the Alpha Centauri system, and we simply dont have the technological ability to detect it yet.

The paradox is the same as a blind man saying "since I cant read a book on the other side of the world, no books exist anywhere." The fermi paradox itself is founded on a fallacy.

The idea is that if you project human technology progress out a few million years, we should be able to colonize the entire milky way within about 10 million years. We would also be able to construct massive astro-engineering projects, like a Dyson Sphere. Stuff like that would be visible at great distances, based on its gravitational effects. The fact that we've never seen anything like that indicates that either there is no life at all out there, or what life there is never gets to that point.

See the Great Filter

Back to what I said. NO we wouldnt see it. SNR is a bitch. Even if that shit was going on, right next to us over in Alpha Centauri, we wouldnt be able to detect it.

The premise itself if flawed.

The premise of that video isn't about why haven't we detected them. The premise is why they haven't colonized everything with the few billion year head start they should have had.

I think it's silly to relate what we currently know about civilization, mathematics, engineering and physics to a civilization that could have millions of years ahead of us.Arguing that aliens don't exist because we have not found Dyson Spheres is a logical fallacy because it assumes they would have energy needs similar to our own or have not developed alternative means of energy production that are more practical than encapsulating an entire star. For example my 55"  television today consumes less than half of the energy a 32" television of 15 years ago did. I'd imagine in another 100,000 years or so it's going to get a lot more efficient.

The second problem is the assumption that they would be driven to colonize everything. It's the same issue with scientists who assume life can only exist on a planet with Earth like conditions. We can't look beyond our own limited understanding of the universe around us because we only apply what we already know and understand to what we observe. Look at the birth rates in the developed world compared to the undeveloped world here on Earth. The more advanced we become the less we reproduce. I know I'm applying human attributes in these examples but that underlines what I said earlier in that we can only think in our own terms.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:50:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Want to know the truth?

Hawking is a God fearing, evolution shunning, anti-global warming theorist.....but the smart alek kid who programmed his computer to speak for him is remote control hacking him to say what he wants!
View Quote

I've entertained the notion that Hawking is actually a potato these days and his antics are really the result of a group of MIT students controlling him remotely.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:52:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Oh geez, no one has ever thought of that before.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:54:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Logical fallacy.   Kinetic energy is significantly more difficult to defeat than thermal energy.  Super high velocity projectiles may just be the ultimate weapon of the future.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am thinking they will be so advanced they won't have any idea how to protect themselves from primitive weapons like a bullet.

Logical fallacy.   Kinetic energy is significantly more difficult to defeat than thermal energy.  Super high velocity projectiles may just be the ultimate weapon of the future.

"Rods from God"
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:05:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I think it's silly to relate what we currently know about civilization, mathematics, engineering and physics to a civilization that could have millions of years ahead of us.Arguing that aliens don't exist because we have not found Dyson Spheres is a logical fallacy because it assumes they would have energy needs similar to our own or have not developed alternative means of energy production that are more practical than encapsulating an entire star. For example my 55"  television today consumes less than half of the energy a 32" television of 15 years ago did. I'd imagine in another 100,000 years or so it's going to get a lot more efficient.

The second problem is the assumption that they would be driven to colonize everything. It's the same issue with scientists who assume life can only exist on a planet with Earth like conditions. We can't look beyond our own limited understanding of the universe around us because we only apply what we already know and understand to what we observe. Look at the birth rates in the developed world compared to the undeveloped world here on Earth. The more advanced we become the less we reproduce. I know I'm applying human attributes in these examples but that underlines what I said earlier in that we can only think in our own terms.
View Quote

As far as assumptions go, we really have no idea how easy or difficult it would be for life to form out there. Sure, we can estimate the number of stars, planets, planets in the habitable zone. But what are the odds of life developing? 1 in 10, or 1 in 10 trillion?

Who knows?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:19:11 AM EDT
[#17]

I will be waiting for my probing. No wait, I will wait to probe her.

Eh, what the hell. As long as there is contact lets get it on.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:29:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Lets say we are to the aliens what wasps are to us.  Do you wait for the wasps nest to get really fucking big before you stamp it out?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except that it's a single wasp nest in an area the size of Alaska and it's only existed for a millisecond (actually many orders of magnitude worse).  How do you find out it's even there?

People really fail to grasp how big things are out there...
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 5:51:46 PM EDT
[#19]

She's the reason we have Obama.
Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top