BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:28:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That's a reasonable assumption. But assuming that they would bring overwhelming numbers, superior military technology and an all out motivation to win, and that their end game would be annihilation of the species or destruction of the planet, is the absolute worst case and perhaps the least likely scenario. It might be more likely that the aliens have some restrictions in how they deal with planetary invasions. They might want to breed us instead of destroying us. They might have some kind of a hunting ethos, that the prey needs to be given some off chance to escape. They might also not like getting their hands dirty at all and instead send in their slaves from other already conquered, yet way less advanced worlds and provide the invading slaves only outdated weaponry (perhaps also captured as plunder from conquered civilizations).

Lots of reasonable ways we could have a chance to win or at least secure a military result that ensures long term species survival. And not all of them have to do with the worst Hollywood cliches of bullets beating particle beams, viruses beating aliens that are biologically advanced enough for long range space travel or them having a mothership with a queen or single point of failure, etc.

Yes they might destroy us, but they might also save us or influence our development in some yet unimagined ways.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If they had the tech to warp space and time, their weapons tech is certainly going to be way out of our league.

That's a reasonable assumption. But assuming that they would bring overwhelming numbers, superior military technology and an all out motivation to win, and that their end game would be annihilation of the species or destruction of the planet, is the absolute worst case and perhaps the least likely scenario. It might be more likely that the aliens have some restrictions in how they deal with planetary invasions. They might want to breed us instead of destroying us. They might have some kind of a hunting ethos, that the prey needs to be given some off chance to escape. They might also not like getting their hands dirty at all and instead send in their slaves from other already conquered, yet way less advanced worlds and provide the invading slaves only outdated weaponry (perhaps also captured as plunder from conquered civilizations).

Lots of reasonable ways we could have a chance to win or at least secure a military result that ensures long term species survival. And not all of them have to do with the worst Hollywood cliches of bullets beating particle beams, viruses beating aliens that are biologically advanced enough for long range space travel or them having a mothership with a queen or single point of failure, etc.

Yes they might destroy us, but they might also save us or influence our development in some yet unimagined ways.

I'll be happy if they'll just teach us how to eliminate telemarketers.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:29:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Note that the original comment was "Why does anyone listen to anything that guys says/types/drools?".   Not, "he's talking out of his lane", but a broad brush, "we shouldn't listen to anything from him" statement.

The statement was idiotic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is what keeps bringing me back to Arfcom.

Where else do people who should be bagging groceries mock the mind of Steven Hawking without a trace of irony?

Where did he get his degree in alienology from again? And where does one publish a peer reviewed article on alien invasions, anyways?

Don't put heavy stuff on top of the bread.

Hey, I have two of his books on my shelf. Love them. The man has a knack for explaining things so that most anyone can understand them.

But saying that he's above criticism on the topic of alien invasions is dumb.

Note that the original comment was "Why does anyone listen to anything that guys says/types/drools?".   Not, "he's talking out of his lane", but a broad brush, "we shouldn't listen to anything from him" statement.

That wasn't in the OP, nor did Rodent quote it, so if that's what he was responding to, I didn't pick up on it. And I don't see how you can label that "the original comment."

But I agree, if I was wondering about the fuzziness of black holes, he'd be my go to guy. But other posters have provided links to other "science dudes" who have apparently spent a lot more time developing their theories on alien life than Mr. Hawking has.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:31:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Those broadcasts have only gone, at most, 200 light years.  They're most than likely not even readable at the 100 light year point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why would anyone expend the time and energy to squash us?

Exactly.  If you've got the technology to do interstellar travel, what do you want with Earth?  Furthermore, if a race had that level of technology and power, they'd have to have a certain level of emotional empathy and compassion or they'd have blown themselves up.

We've been broadcasting loud and clear in the open "we're here!" For nigh on a century now... more advanced/mobile civilizations may want to find out if they're alone in the universe.

Those broadcasts have only gone, at most, 200 light years.  They're most than likely not even readable at the 100 light year point.

That's why I said "mobile". They'd have to be in the vicinity.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:31:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

We haven't even traveled outside of our own solar system. Our solar system is just a small part of the Milkey Way Galaxy. There are tons and tons of galaxies in the known universe. We don't even know the full extent of the size of the universe we live in. It's very likely that our Universe is many times more large that we even know about. If you don't think there is more intelligent life out there, then I feel there is no hope for you. Hell, we even found a moon that can support life in our own solar system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The arrogance of the belief that we are the only beings in the universe astounds me. The sheer size alone means that there has to be other intelligent life out there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Filter

We haven't even traveled outside of our own solar system. Our solar system is just a small part of the Milkey Way Galaxy. There are tons and tons of galaxies in the known universe. We don't even know the full extent of the size of the universe we live in. It's very likely that our Universe is many times more large that we even know about. If you don't think there is more intelligent life out there, then I feel there is no hope for you. Hell, we even found a moon that can support life in our own solar system.

Know how I know you didn't read the link?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:32:35 AM EDT
[#5]

I think the Jug-ear faggot, has got them beat.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:43:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Guy is pissed at the world so he makes stuff up about aliens to try and bring others down with him. He thinks blames God for his physical condition.
View Quote

I'm pretty sure he was an atheist before ALS began to seriously affect him.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:47:16 AM EDT
[#7]
They can warp spacetime but they come here to steal our.......beer?  Water?  Air?  Why not just get it from an uninhabited planet and skip the fight?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:49:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:58:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is what keeps bringing me back to Arfcom.

Where else do people who should be bagging groceries mock the mind of Steven Hawking without a trace of irony?

Where did he get his degree in alienology from again? And where does one publish a peer reviewed article on alien invasions, anyways?

Don't put heavy stuff on top of the bread.

Hey, I have two of his books on my shelf. Love them. The man has a knack for explaining things so that most anyone can understand them.

But saying that he's above criticism on the topic of alien invasions is dumb.

That's what happens when one communicates beyond their education and comprehension level.  

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:59:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:59:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
AI is way scarier than the prospect of aliens.
View Quote

Crazy MFing world leaders are scarier than AI.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:04:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Stephen Hawking says nomadic aliens might crush us

Many of Stephen Hawking's recent pronouncements have been slightly dire.

He worries about artificial intelligence. We evolve so slowly that it could simply stomp us out, he said last year.

But there are other threats. In an interview with Spain's El Pais, the world-renowned physicist said he feared aliens might destroy us. He said it might be worse that when Columbus turned up in the Americas.

"Such advanced aliens would perhaps become nomads, looking to conquer and colonize whatever planets they can reach," Hawking told El Pais. "To my mathematical brain, the numbers alone make thinking about aliens perfectly rational.
View Quote

I am thinking they will be so advanced they won't have any idea how to protect themselves from primitive weapons like a bullet.
View Quote

Sounds like the Alien's are human.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:21:24 AM EDT
[#13]

That guy has lost his marbles.

Or.....maybe they were stolen by aliens.  

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:29:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Pretty sure my mother-in-law is an alien.
Thats about the extent of my interstellar knowledge.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:34:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

He worries about artificial intelligence. We evolve so slowly that it could simply stomp us out, he said last year.

But there are other threats. In an interview with Spain's El Pais, the world-renowned physicist said he feared aliens might destroy us. He said it might be worse that when Columbus turned up in the Americas.

"Such advanced aliens would perhaps become nomads, looking to conquer and colonize whatever planets they can reach," Hawking told El Pais. "To my mathematical brain, the numbers alone make thinking about aliens perfectly rational.
View Quote

I am thinking they will be so advanced they won't have any idea how to protect themselves from primitive weapons like a bullet.
View Quote

Any alien species that can get here will never have to even worry about being within the range of a firearm.  If you can cross a few hundred trillion miles of space, you can certainly nuke Earth from orbit...just to be sure.

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:36:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:40:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I don't get how he gets to say absolutely retarded shit that he can't support and it's "news" - and not the "Weekly World News".  This shit isn't science.  There are people who claim to see little space men all the time and Dr. Steve-o thinks that's perfectly legit, but people claim to see Angels and Demons and he says there is 100% no God and all those people are fucking stupid.

So, he can't prove the existence of either, yet... um... SCIENCE!  Yeah, that's the ticket!  No God, yes aliens!  
View Quote

Science is their god and Hawking is their prophet. Power corrupts. Intelligence is not wisdom, and a few other cliches...
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:46:15 AM EDT
[#18]
I often wondered why NASA hasn't undertaken establishing a satellite system in our solar system to detect the approach of Near Earth Objects and other planetary threats?  At least something designed to improve our detection of potentially dangerous approaching object to include asteroids and so forth.  

As far as Professor Hawking's fears of Artificial Intelligence I don't think that man and machine will be different entities for much longer.  Eventually men will become machines fully integrated with artificial devices and controls. Of course, this could bring about horrible changes to our concept of individuality and personal liberties.  However, if you look at what is known about what governments already do concerning the internet and cell phones then look at the fact that only more and more people are using them each year I think it's fair to say that people will not let such concerns stop them.

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:50:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Please be joking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why does anyone listen to anything that guys says/types/drools?

Please be joking.

I'm glad to see QT wasn't.  I mean really, worrying about aliens in a more elevated way using scientific sounding sentences is way outside his swim lane.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:57:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I often wondered why NASA hasn't undertaken establishing a satellite system in our solar system to detect the approach of Near Earth Objects and other planetary threats?  At least something designed to improve our detection of potentially dangerous approaching object to include asteroids and so forth.  

As far as Professor Hawking's fears of Artificial Intelligence I don't think that man and machine will be different entities for much longer.  Eventually men will become machines fully integrated with artificial devices and controls. Of course, this could bring about horrible changes to our concept of individuality and personal liberties.  However, if you look at what is known about what governments already do concerning the internet and cell phones then look at the fact that only more and more people are using them each year I think it's fair to say that people will not let such concerns stop them.

View Quote

You should write a book..
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 11:01:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm glad to see QT wasn't.  I mean really, worrying about aliens in a more elevated way using scientific sounding sentences is way outside his swim lane.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please be joking.

Maybe the guy inwardly fantasizes about ETs being able to totally cure him of his physical dilemmas?
That is, before they blast us with death rays and stuff..

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 11:16:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I thought we already had something like that.  There's just so many objects out there that it's difficult to track them all.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 11:17:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 11:42:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because indigenous personnel get all rioty and rapey when you start taking their shit.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:11:55 PM EDT
[#25]
If I wanted to destroy earth, I'd hope to find it when its species are still in the stupid age like after the collapse of rome or what not, introduce some dumbass religious zealot EG muhammed.... Make the zealot spread his deranged religion e.g. islam and watch the fireworks.... Maybe just maybe we're on our way to destruction and colonization and what not.....
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:12:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
AI is way scarier than the prospect of aliens.

No.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:13:56 PM EDT
[#27]
I think nomadic aliens are in the process of destroying us.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:14:25 PM EDT
[#28]

Space Vixens?

I'd let them destroy me.

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:16:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

They'd have to Battle in Los Angeles to see which theater opened it first. The Earth Might Stand Still in anticipation. I see Signs that such a film would be an Arrival of sorts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why, I bet you could make a movie about such a scenario of nomadic aliens invading earth.  If someone hurried they might even be able to get into theaters before next Independence Day.

They'd have to Battle in Los Angeles to see which theater opened it first. The Earth Might Stand Still in anticipation. I see Signs that such a film would be an Arrival of sorts.

amazing to one day say it came from outer space, it would really be a war of the worlds, not a battle beyond the stars.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:22:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think they've pitched the idea but can't get funding...
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:27:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Smart guy, but off his rocker.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:40:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:41:15 PM EDT
[#33]
It's not minerals they would be here for.  Every rock floating around the stars are concentrations of minerals.  It's the biological food that's moving around on this planet that makes it unique. That and life sustaining atmosphere to grow more biological food.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:41:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The problem there is that space is very very dark and so are lots of potential Near Earth Objects especially the smaller ones. We have however identified approximately 90% of the NEOs large enough to wipe us out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think they've pitched the idea but can't get funding...

The problem there is that space is very very dark and so are lots of potential Near Earth Objects especially the smaller ones. We have however identified approximately 90% of the NEOs large enough to wipe us out.

If we haven't found them all, how do we know what percentage of them we have found.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:48:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

You're kidding right?

If not then I can definitely cross Quanitco off my GTG list..
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:52:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You're kidding right?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're kidding right?

I do wonder if company reps posting as regular users (e.g. Larue, Quanitco) has been beneficial for their individual companies.  I've had positive experiences with company reps here, and ones like this.  Be interesting to see the overall impact.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:54:10 PM EDT
[#37]

"ACK AK AHCK ACK"

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:55:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I do wonder if company reps posting as regular users (e.g. Larue, Quanitco) has been beneficial for their individual companies.  I've had positive experiences with company reps here, and ones like this.  Be interesting to see the overall impact.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're kidding right?

I wonder that as well. But you don't see Larue going around spouting dribble like the one I quoted.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:56:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I wonder that as well. But you don't see Larue going around spouting dribble like the one I quoted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're kidding right?

First name that came to mind for another rep.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 1:02:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Guy is pissed at the world so he makes stuff up about aliens to try and bring others down with him. He thinks blames God for his physical condition.
View Quote

lol, this thread is full of WTF.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 1:04:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It's not minerals they would be here for.  Every rock floating around the stars are concentrations of minerals.  It's the biological food that's moving around on this planet that makes it unique. That and life sustaining atmosphere to grow more biological food.
View Quote

They had no beans on their planet, and they traveled the stars looking to make their chili complete.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 1:04:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

I'm sure they would have encountered kinetic weapons at least once or twice in their travels.  More likely they would be so advanced that we would not have a snowball's chance in hell to kill even one of them.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 1:07:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

A cultural thing.  They would be a warring race that seeks battle for the sake of personal glory.  Not too hard to fathom.  Human beings have manifested this culture countless times.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 1:10:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think that he believes in God does he?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 1:17:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Wow.  More people get offended if you say something bad about Hawking than if you say something bad about the pope.  Pretty clear who is being worshipped here.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 1:22:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 1:30:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

NICE!!
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 1:34:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You can only lol at anyone who would ask that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please be joking.

Even the Popes recognize his sciency brain.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 1:38:05 PM EDT
[#49]
I think Stephen Hawking has much more to worry about than aliens.  If I were him that's the last thing I'd be thinking about lol.  I'd much rather have my life and limited mental capacity than his supposedly genius "intelligence" and his life.  That dude can shrivel up and die for all I care.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 1:40:30 PM EDT
[#50]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please be joking.

Even the Popes recognize his sciency brain.

You mean the Pope that believes in global warming and truly doesn't believe in god?
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top