Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:47:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is what keeps bringing me back to Arfcom.

Where else do people who should be bagging groceries mock the mind of Steven Hawking without a trace of irony?
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:47:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Where did he get his degree in alienology from again? And where does one publish a peer reviewed article on alien invasions, anyways?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where else do people who should be bagging groceries mock the mind of Steven Hawking without a trace of irony?

Where did he get his degree in alienology from again? And where does one publish a peer reviewed article on alien invasions, anyways?

History Channel Uni. . .
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:48:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:49:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Why does anyone listen to anything that guys says/types/drools?
View Quote

It's the Gee, Mr. Wizard, You're Wonderful Effect - People who are brilliant/smart/moderately competent in one field tend to think that they're also brilliant/smart/moderately competent in every other field.

Hollywood is full of 'em.

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:52:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Why would anyone expend the time and energy to squash us?
View Quote

That's probably what the roaches in my barn were thinking...
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:56:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm thinking we find a hot-shot, cocky pilot laden with one-liners that is black and a Jewish computer-expert working well under his potential to fly a capture alien fighter and plant a virus in their mothership before we nuke it anyway.
View Quote

This sounds racist.

I think Judd Hirsch's performance in Independence Day was the most awful overacted role I have ever seen.  Israel should have nuked the U.S. out of every principle.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:01:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because he is incredibly smart and a leader in his field.

That was a stupid question.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:03:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Or nomads from ME.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:09:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

There have been literally thousands of posts on arfcom about how much enjoyment people get out of killing animals.

Humans dont need a reason to kill things, it gets them hard.

A more aggressive species than us? Yeah... They dont need a reason.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:11:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It's the Gee, Mr. Wizard, You're Wonderful Effect - People who are brilliant/smart/moderately competent in one field tend to think that they're also brilliant/smart/moderately competent in every other field.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Engineering is full of 'em, too. They might be brilliant at math or writing software, but are complete morons in other areas, completely incapable of problem solving or "thinking outside the box".

But don't take that as a slam on all engineers. I've known some who were very smart in many fields. I'm just saying that there are plenty who aren't.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:15:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Eh, nobody seems to be able to repel terrestrial aliens, so we're pretty much fucked when it comes to the ET's.
View Quote

Do you even War of the Worlds Bro
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:16:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Time to neckbeard ray guns
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:17:36 PM EDT
[#13]
More likely the Aliens will cancel our show: Earth the #1 reality show in the galaxy
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:26:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Not in the slightest bit.  

This "announcement" is Exhibit "A".

"Nomadic aliens might destroy us".  How brilliant is that?  Jeez, know what?  We might not get destroyed by aliens.      
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please be joking.

Not in the slightest bit.  

This "announcement" is Exhibit "A".

"Nomadic aliens might destroy us".  How brilliant is that?  Jeez, know what?  We might not get destroyed by aliens.      

For all we know, Hawking's computer is actually self-aware, and he hasn't really "said" a word in decades.  Poor guy, I think he's gone around the bend.

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:27:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is his field alien invasion research?  If not, you gave an incredibly stupid answer there fella.

I bet you feel smart.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:43:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Is his field alien invasion research?  If not, you gave an incredibly stupid answer there fella.

I bet you feel smart.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bet you feel smart.

You're really this ignorant of his field of expertise?

Theoretical physics and cosmology. He's the Director of Research of theoretical cosmology at Cambridge.

I dont feel smart for knowing he's going to be one of the most qualified people on earth to comment on topics within the realm of cosmology. I simply just dont feel like I'm retarded for not knowing a cosmologist is qualified to talk about this kind of stuff. Just like I wouldnt feel smart for point out that a mechanical engineer is qualified to comment on dynamic load stresses on an I-beam. I'd just be glad I'm not retarded enough to think an ME couldnt talk about dynamics.  Just how I'd personally feel...

This isnt Bill Nye trying to comment on biology/abortion...

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:51:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This

Let's take human morality out of it. IF an alien species is intelligent enough to get here, they don't need our resources.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

Let's take human morality out of it. IF an alien species is intelligent enough to get here, they don't need our resources.  

Shhh!
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:06:02 AM EDT
[#18]
I think the likelyhood of first contact with a Ferengi-style supercapitalist alien civilization is more likely. They offer us greater technology for a steep price which we certainly would pay. We would likely be seen as easy profit.

The Borg never assimilated the Kazon because they saw them as not worthwhile. I think, at this point, that is where we are.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 1:14:20 AM EDT
[#19]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The arrogance of the belief that we are the only beings in the universe astounds me. The sheer size alone means that there has to be other intelligent life out there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Filter

We haven't even traveled outside of our own solar system. Our solar system is just a small part of the Milkey Way Galaxy. There are tons and tons of galaxies in the known universe. We don't even know the full extent of the size of the universe we live in. It's very likely that our Universe is many times more large that we even know about. If you don't think there is more intelligent life out there, then I feel there is no hope for you. Hell, we even found a moon that can support life in our own solar system.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 1:34:23 AM EDT
[#20]
KO
Quoted:

This

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

They don't need our resources but they need to syphon the dark energy from the black hole which is theorized to exist in the center of every galaxy and by doing do would send our galaxy into a hyper collapse.

So the space cops military federation or whatever the fuck for some ridiculous reason decides to team up with earth people to for fight the evil aliens....
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 1:35:23 AM EDT
[#21]
One can hope...
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 1:40:33 AM EDT
[#22]
GD is hilarious.

"Fuck that science man. He don't know shit about nothin".

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 1:41:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
GD is hilarious.

View Quote

It makes the religion and climate change threads interesting.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 1:55:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Stephen Hawking says nomadic aliens might crush us

Many of Stephen Hawking's recent pronouncements have been slightly dire.

He worries about artificial intelligence. We evolve so slowly that it could simply stomp us out, he said last year.

But there are other threats. In an interview with Spain's El Pais, the world-renowned physicist said he feared aliens might destroy us. He said it might be worse that when Columbus turned up in the Americas.

"Such advanced aliens would perhaps become nomads, looking to conquer and colonize whatever planets they can reach," Hawking told El Pais. "To my mathematical brain, the numbers alone make thinking about aliens perfectly rational.
View Quote

I am thinking they will be so advanced they won't have any idea how to protect themselves from primitive weapons like a bullet.
View Quote

They would likely be advanced enough they would not need to fight us themselves. Just release some manner of super virus of nano machines programmed to deconstruct human cellular structure and enjoy your new unpopulated planet without firing a shot. If a species has mastered interstellar travel we are not going to be any kind of threat to them at all.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 2:00:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Pffft.  Nomads.  They're big space pussies getting pushed around by more warlike aliens.  When they land here they'll be happy to know that we're open to dialog and trade despite being warlike.  Then they'll come up with a plan to combine our ability to wage war and their advanced science and tech.  Eventually, will lock the space nerds in the lab and take over the universe.

Pax Universalis Humanititus  
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 2:01:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Poor social skills doesn't mean he's an idiot.

He's making a good point. Many academics and among the political classes assume that "more advanced" = "enlightened in a liberal manner". That is what Obama thinks when he talks about being on the right side of history; the idea that the well behaved will prevail. It is a huge ass assumption and Hawking is deflating it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've said it before. He's an idiot.

Have you ever met a really smart mathematician? Zero social skills and can't grasp reality.

My neighbor is a college professor of mathematics. Socially awkward and can't grasp many social norms.

For some reason because this guys drools from the side of his mouth and talks with a speak and spell people regard him as a god.

If he was the same as my neighbor people would ignore him.....kinda like we ignore my neighbor when we're out "in the hood" sharing an evening dink.

Poor social skills doesn't mean he's an idiot.

He's making a good point. Many academics and among the political classes assume that "more advanced" = "enlightened in a liberal manner". That is what Obama thinks when he talks about being on the right side of history; the idea that the well behaved will prevail. It is a huge ass assumption and Hawking is deflating it.

If history were to once again repeat itself such a meeting would be bad. Throughout human history when two civilizations meet the lesser advanced of the two always ends up conquered or destroyed. No reason to assume such a scenario would play out any differently. I don't think were alone in the universe but I'm happy to stay lonely.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 2:09:43 AM EDT
[#27]
We'd have it coming to us. The OP really needs anal probing. He knows the most. At least that's what Ive been told.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 2:11:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Minerals.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Minerals.

Unlikely. Nothing on Earth is rare in the grand scheme of things. Far more minerals in the asteroid belt than here.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 2:17:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

We haven't even traveled outside of our own solar system. Our solar system is just a small part of the Milkey Way Galaxy. There are tons and tons of galaxies in the known universe. We don't even know the full extent of the size of the universe we live in. It's very likely that our Universe is many times more large that we even know about. If you don't think there is more intelligent life out there, then I feel there is no hope for you. Hell, we even found a moon that can support life in our own solar system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The arrogance of the belief that we are the only beings in the universe astounds me. The sheer size alone means that there has to be other intelligent life out there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Filter

I think it's foolish to assume life has to have conditions similar to Earth to thrive. Life evolved here to meet the conditions of this planet, not because of them.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 8:05:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Don't put heavy stuff on top of the bread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey, I have two of his books on my shelf. Love them. The man has a knack for explaining things so that most anyone can understand them.

But saying that he's above criticism on the topic of alien invasions is dumb.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 8:25:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

They'd have to Battle in Los Angeles to see which theater opened it first. The Earth Might Stand Still in anticipation. I see Signs that such a film would be an Arrival of sorts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why, I bet you could make a movie about such a scenario of nomadic aliens invading earth.  If someone hurried they might even be able to get into theaters before next Independence Day.

They'd have to Battle in Los Angeles to see which theater opened it first. The Earth Might Stand Still in anticipation. I see Signs that such a film would be an Arrival of sorts.

Maybe we could put up a sign that says Forbidden Planet.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 8:29:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 8:33:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 8:41:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
GD is hilarious.

GD, where the people who ridicule others for believing that the pope is infallible get mad when someone questions the inerrancy of Stephen Hawking's opinion on alien invasions.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 8:44:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Considering our distance from the nearest potentially habitable planet, if aliens could make it here, they would need some incredibly advanced technology. If they had the tech to warp space and time, their weapons tech is certainly going to be way out of our league.
View Quote

If they had the ability to warp space and time, why even come to earth while its populated with humans in the first place? Just show up here long before humans or any other life existed and have the place to yourself.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 8:48:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly.  If you've got the technology to do interstellar travel, what do you want with Earth?  Furthermore, if a race had that level of technology and power, they'd have to have a certain level of emotional empathy and compassion or they'd have blown themselves up.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 8:54:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Think about it like this: while we're all wrapped up in our little terrestrial lives, merrily clicking/Tweeting/bleating about how life has taken a giant dump on us, we could be focusing our energies on becoming a not only space-faring, but a star-faring race. This makes us the hegemony and ensures our species' survival by getting us off this rock, out of this solar system, and back to the pioneer spirit that humans have thus far tried to breed out of ourselves.

If a few words by everyone's favorite Dalek can inspire this, I'm fine with it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 8:56:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Exactly.  If you've got the technology to do interstellar travel, what do you want with Earth?  Furthermore, if a race had that level of technology and power, they'd have to have a certain level of emotional empathy and compassion or they'd have blown themselves up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We've been broadcasting loud and clear in the open "we're here!" For nigh on a century now... more advanced/mobile civilizations may want to find out if they're alone in the universe.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:00:07 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Borg tits FTW!

View All Quotes

Wonder if she has metal clamps on her nipples like Janet Jackson did??

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:02:27 AM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:02:55 AM EDT
[#41]
They're already hear and they speak Russian.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:06:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Exhibit B

"Science can prove God doesn't exist" from the guy who says "Nomadic Aliens Might Destroy Us".  

Hawking comes across as a bitter man.  
View Quote

Oh, so here it is.  He's an atheist, so he's just a drooling idiot.

Fact is, the more education in physical and life sciences a person has, the less likely they are to believe in the supernatural.  Not just God, but ghosts, bigfoot, chupacabra, all that.

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:08:04 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I've said it before. He's an idiot.

Have you ever met a really smart mathematician? Zero social skills and can't grasp reality.

My neighbor is a college professor of mathematics. Socially awkward and can't grasp many social norms.

For some reason because this guys drools from the side of his mouth and talks with a speak and spell people regard him as a god.

If he was the same as my neighbor people would ignore him.....kinda like we ignore my neighbor when we're out "in the hood" sharing an evening dink.
View Quote
Although John Lennox seems to defy this. Likeable guy that makes his atheist opponents look like twits just by being John Lennox.

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:11:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

WHY?!!!!!

View Quote

Mercy?

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:14:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Guy is pissed at the world so he makes stuff up about aliens to try and bring others down with him. He thinks blames God for his physical condition.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:16:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Why, I bet you could make a movie about such a scenario of nomadic aliens invading earth.  If someone hurried they might even be able to get into theaters before next Independence Day.
View Quote

Hahahahaha
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:18:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Hey, I have two of his books on my shelf. Love them. The man has a knack for explaining things so that most anyone can understand them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Note that the original comment was "Why does anyone listen to anything that guys says/types/drools?".   Not, "he's talking out of his lane", but a broad brush, "we shouldn't listen to anything from him" statement.

The statement was idiotic.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:21:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

We've been broadcasting loud and clear in the open "we're here!" For nigh on a century now... more advanced/mobile civilizations may want to find out if they're alone in the universe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those broadcasts have only gone, at most, 200 light years.  They're most than likely not even readable at the 100 light year point.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:22:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Why do some people expend the time and energy to deliberately squash ants?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do some people expend the time and energy to deliberately squash ants?

true story:  some number of years ago I had just squashed some big bug in my path, you know, just because.  and for some reason, I immediately asked myself, why did you do that?  why are you such an asshole?  that moment turned my life around.  Now im saved, I dont kill spiders unless they are in the house or around my fences or fruit trees/vines/bushes.  I even let snakes be unless they are poisonous.  Started volunteering as a mentor at the local HS for kids who are getting into trouble, found an awesome wife.  Life is fantastic.  And bow season is about to start.  Now just need to get AU to stop sucking so bad...
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:23:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
If they had the tech to warp space and time, their weapons tech is certainly going to be way out of our league.
View Quote

That's a reasonable assumption. But assuming that they would bring overwhelming numbers, superior military technology and an all out motivation to win, and that their end game would be annihilation of the species or destruction of the planet, is the absolute worst case and perhaps the least likely scenario. It might be more likely that the aliens have some restrictions in how they deal with planetary invasions. They might want to breed us instead of destroying us. They might have some kind of a hunting ethos, that the prey needs to be given some off chance to escape. They might also not like getting their hands dirty at all and instead send in their slaves from other already conquered, yet way less advanced worlds and provide the invading slaves only outdated weaponry (perhaps also captured as plunder from conquered civilizations).

Lots of reasonable ways we could have a chance to win or at least secure a military result that ensures long term species survival. And not all of them have to do with the worst Hollywood cliches of bullets beating particle beams, viruses beating aliens that are biologically advanced enough for long range space travel or them having a mothership with a queen or single point of failure, etc.

Yes they might destroy us, but they might also save us or influence our development in some yet unimagined ways.

ETA: I will also welcome our alien overlords (overmy'ladies?):

Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top