BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:38:05 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A girl jumped off the parking deck a few years ago at my college cause of a bad grade. Supposedly she didn't die immediately
View Quote
Happened several times a year at my alma mater.

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:40:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
In graduate school (doctoral program), my department - at a very prestigious university - gave a Master's degree to a guy, just to make him GO AWAY. He was a total pain in the ass - in addition to being completely incompetent - and everyone just wanted to be rid of him.  

Then he went back to India and told everyone he got a Ph.D., and tricked a family into an arranged marriage based on that lie.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I know of one case where a graduate student received a rather prestigious degree because the said student threatened to throw themself off the roof of an academic building.

No, they were not bluffing, yes, they were crazy, and yes, they got the degree, because no one wanted a suicide on their conscience.

In graduate school (doctoral program), my department - at a very prestigious university - gave a Master's degree to a guy, just to make him GO AWAY. He was a total pain in the ass - in addition to being completely incompetent - and everyone just wanted to be rid of him.  

Then he went back to India and told everyone he got a Ph.D., and tricked a family into an arranged marriage based on that lie.
In the sciences MAs are pretty much a booby prize anyway.

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:17:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

victimhood is a highly competitive field.
View Quote
my new sig line!  QFT

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:19:16 PM EDT
[#4]

A dickmouse?  Kin to a dickfer?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:47:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Do you not believe it's the job of SOMEONE at the university to socialize incoming undergraduates to the expected behavior and norms of their new role as university students?

If your answer is no, then you should have no problem with the issues described in this thread, since they are the direct result of that.

If your answer is yes, then the question becomes what is more effective (and efficient); having the university/college administration do it during freshman orientation, or ignoring it and relying on each professor trying to set expectations (that can vary wildly) for each class? To me, the answer is obviously the higher-level administration, since they ALREADY have freshman orientation for this very purpose - they often just do a piss-poor job of it.

I am not suggesting something new or different - part of the purpose of orientation has always been this socialization.  I am merely suggesting that the problems described in this thread are the direct result of administrators no longer providing the proper socialization for students during orientation.

And for the record, my wife and I have more than 30 years of combined experience working at major universities (both public and private) - as well as obviously spending a lot of time as students, for undergrad, masters and doctorate - so we do have sort of having an understanding of how universities work.

Also, let me provide an example of where I have seen this very clearly in action.  I am the academic director of several of our graduate programs, and we relatively recently started up a new program.  This is an accelerated one year Masters for students who just completed their undergrad.  We focused on designing and building the program, attracting good students, etc. - and during orientation we focused on making sure that they understood all of the technical stuff about the program (graduation requirements, coursework, GPA requirements, etc.) - but didn't really pay that much attention to socializing them in terms of expectations, behaviors and norms, because we assumed that as recently graduated students, they knew all of this.  ... and we ended up with a number of problems that the faculty had to deal with, because the kids were essentially still in an undergrad mindset, expecting people to hold their hand and solve their problems for them, and not communicating well with faculty.  It was extremely frustrating to the faculty, and for some classes, we ended up with very unhappy faculty AND very unhappy students. We realized that the problem was not actually with the students (which would have been the easy attribution) - but with us, as the administrators of the program.  We had not sufficiently clarified for them what it MEANT to be a graduate student, and how the expectations for graduate students are very different than for undergrads, and which behaviors are appropriate, and which are not.  (This is essentially the same problem as what is described in this thread - the expectations for university undergrads are different from high school students - and that needs to be clearly explained to the kids).

So the next year, we spent a lot more time being clear about that UP FRONT with them - even during recruiting and interviews - making it clear to them what we expected of them, and discouraging them from applying if they did not accept these norms and expectations.  During orientation, we spent much more time explaining these things again (I got to be the "bad cop" ) and telling them what's acceptable behavior and what's not. Most students need some structure and direction, in order to be able to learn effectively, and the problems experienced in the first year were the result of our failure to provide that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So from a faculty perspective, if you get behavior like that form students, it's a signal that the university administration did NOT do their job in terms of student orientation, and then they'd feel less guilty and fucking the university with grade inflation.

I really don't mean to seem rude, but where did you get the quaint notion that it is the job of the university administration to teach the undergraduates not to pee on the carpets?

What field are you in?

Do you not believe it's the job of SOMEONE at the university to socialize incoming undergraduates to the expected behavior and norms of their new role as university students?

If your answer is no, then you should have no problem with the issues described in this thread, since they are the direct result of that.

If your answer is yes, then the question becomes what is more effective (and efficient); having the university/college administration do it during freshman orientation, or ignoring it and relying on each professor trying to set expectations (that can vary wildly) for each class? To me, the answer is obviously the higher-level administration, since they ALREADY have freshman orientation for this very purpose - they often just do a piss-poor job of it.

I am not suggesting something new or different - part of the purpose of orientation has always been this socialization.  I am merely suggesting that the problems described in this thread are the direct result of administrators no longer providing the proper socialization for students during orientation.

And for the record, my wife and I have more than 30 years of combined experience working at major universities (both public and private) - as well as obviously spending a lot of time as students, for undergrad, masters and doctorate - so we do have sort of having an understanding of how universities work.

Also, let me provide an example of where I have seen this very clearly in action.  I am the academic director of several of our graduate programs, and we relatively recently started up a new program.  This is an accelerated one year Masters for students who just completed their undergrad.  We focused on designing and building the program, attracting good students, etc. - and during orientation we focused on making sure that they understood all of the technical stuff about the program (graduation requirements, coursework, GPA requirements, etc.) - but didn't really pay that much attention to socializing them in terms of expectations, behaviors and norms, because we assumed that as recently graduated students, they knew all of this.  ... and we ended up with a number of problems that the faculty had to deal with, because the kids were essentially still in an undergrad mindset, expecting people to hold their hand and solve their problems for them, and not communicating well with faculty.  It was extremely frustrating to the faculty, and for some classes, we ended up with very unhappy faculty AND very unhappy students. We realized that the problem was not actually with the students (which would have been the easy attribution) - but with us, as the administrators of the program.  We had not sufficiently clarified for them what it MEANT to be a graduate student, and how the expectations for graduate students are very different than for undergrads, and which behaviors are appropriate, and which are not.  (This is essentially the same problem as what is described in this thread - the expectations for university undergrads are different from high school students - and that needs to be clearly explained to the kids).

So the next year, we spent a lot more time being clear about that UP FRONT with them - even during recruiting and interviews - making it clear to them what we expected of them, and discouraging them from applying if they did not accept these norms and expectations.  During orientation, we spent much more time explaining these things again (I got to be the "bad cop" ) and telling them what's acceptable behavior and what's not. Most students need some structure and direction, in order to be able to learn effectively, and the problems experienced in the first year were the result of our failure to provide that.
If undergrads didn't have these kinds of <trigger warning> fucking retarded issues </end trigger warning>, then how could faculty make fun of them while drinking alcohol behind closed doors?

I see it among my fellow grad students too, albeit rarely. For example, the proper way to go fishing for a higher grade is to ask the professor to explain what you did wrong on the test. If he/she graded too harshly, it will be caught then. If not, then you learn from your mistakes. You don't go <trigger warning> bitching about it like a bitch </trigger warning>. That's a good way to end up on everyone's shit list.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:49:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Exactly.

Many universities have completely dropped the ball in terms of freshman orientation - and that's what causes these sorts of problems and fucks the faculty (and the students).
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If your answer is yes, then the question becomes what is more effective (and efficient); having the university/college administration do it during freshman orientation

The last one of those I saw involved having the freshmen sit in circles, hold hands, and sing songs like it was a fucking kindergarten class.

Exactly.

Many universities have completely dropped the ball in terms of freshman orientation - and that's what causes these sorts of problems and fucks the faculty (and the students).
I am pretty sure I walked out of the ones I was required to go to. I blatantly ignored the advice of academic advisers. Had I heeded their advice, I would have graduated late.

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 5:07:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This depends on the major. Most professors I know in the sciences would be perfectly happy to not teach undergrads at all. For them teaching is only a small part of their job.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is what happens when you push anyone and everyone with an IQ higher than a goldfish to go to college. You end up with a lot of people who dont have the motivation, maturity or intellectual ability to be there.

Many students, they said, now view a C, or sometimes even a B, as failure, and they interpret such “failure” as the end of the world.

Ok well when you have to maintain a GPA of 3.5 or higher to keep your scholarship students start getting really upset with anything less than a A. Even straight Bs would cause you do loose your scholarship. And with the cost of education its understandable for them to panic. Again this problem could be solved if less people went to college....less demand for college = lower tuition rates.

Ahh but if less people went to college then there would be less need for college professors.  Can't have a lot of blowhards non practitioners without jobs.

This depends on the major. Most professors I know in the sciences would be perfectly happy to not teach undergrads at all. For them teaching is only a small part of their job.

That exists in liberal arts too. I professors in history who were very proud of the fact that their teaching load was the absolute minimum the university would allow- that they were there (primarily) to be writers and researchers.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 5:20:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hard times make hard people
Hard people make good times
Good times make soft people
Soft people make hard times

...guess where we're at in that?
View Quote

I think I will put that on my headstone......a universal reminder for the ages.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 5:46:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What I mean by that is that when students enter a university, or a program (or major), they should be socialized (or, if you prefer a more military term, indoctrinated) with the norms and values and appropriate behavioral expectations as members of the organization.  
View Quote

Indoctrinate?  Like Nazis and Commies?  

What's next socialize?

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 6:24:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What's next socialize?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What I mean by that is that when students enter a university, or a program (or major), they should be socialized (or, if you prefer a more military term, indoctrinated) with the norms and values and appropriate behavioral expectations as members of the organization.  

What's next socialize?

DK Prof is using what is quaintly referred to as the "archaic" meaning of the word.

You are using a somewhat more inflammatory definition.

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 8:08:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

DK Prof is using what is quaintly referred to as the "archaic" meaning of the word.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's next socialize?

He's Scandanavian and Germanic. I can do that math
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:12:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's next socialize?

deutsche is the origin of dutch.  but he must be from the north.  they were kinda scandanavian.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:17:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

What's next socialize?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What's next socialize?

You'd really hate those damn Classical Liberals.

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:43:04 PM EDT
[#14]
When people go to college they are 18 or 19 and they should be able to wipe their own butts, blow their noses and deal with life without the help of anyone else.  If they can not handle everyday life on their own they need to drop out or be kicked out of school and move back in with Mommy and Daddy until they can.  Quit coddling all the little bitches.  It is not a college professors problem if they failed because they went out and partied instead of studying, then cry about it when they flunk out of school.  

I have had several interns at the ranch that said I was too hard on them for not picking up on the simple things (cleanliness, respect for others, and taking pride in what they do) then they would cry when I corrected their behavior through a stern lecture.  I grew up with my butt whooped and yelled at when I was growing up, that is what these interns needed instead of a lecture but I couldn't very well beat them up and yell without some repercussions..
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:04:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
In the sciences MAs are pretty much a booby prize anyway.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:25:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Universities are phobic about liability.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know of one case where a graduate student received a rather prestigious degree because the said student threatened to throw themself off the roof of an academic building.

No, they were not bluffing, yes, they were crazy, and yes, they got the degree, because no one wanted a suicide on their conscience.

See, that's the problem.

It wouldn't weigh on my conscience.

You either meet the standard or you don't. If you don't and insist you will kill yourself if I don't give you what you have not earned, I'll suggest you pick a nice tall building so you don't make a mess of it. And have the courtesy to avoid landing on anything valuable on your way down.

NYU did ok even after people formed a diving club in the library.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:33:10 AM EDT
[#17]
It is 2015, things were supposed to get better with the passing of time, not worse.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:45:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It is 2015, things were supposed to get better with the passing of time, not worse.

View Quote

Entropy beats optimism.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 2:00:55 AM EDT
[#19]
I think the internet makes people dumb.  This latest generation of kids have no attention spans.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 2:04:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I think the internet makes people dumb.  This latest generation of kids have no attention spans.

View Quote

You must be joking.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 2:22:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 2:25:50 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I wonder if this has any relationship to the rise of unhinged mass murderers in that age group.
View Quote
I was talking about that earlier tonight.  That kind of stuff wasn't happening back when you could mail order a machinegun from sears.  Something about our society is sick and causing this.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 7:13:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

probably failed a psychics test.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A girl jumped off the parking deck a few years ago at my college cause of a bad grade. Supposedly she didn't die immediately

So she even failed at failing?

That must really suck Though at least she was being consistent.

I'm guessing you meant physics, not psychics.  

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 7:15:18 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So she even failed at failing?

That must really suck Though at least she was being consistent.

Funny, I thought he spelled it correctly.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:12:44 AM EDT
[#25]
My SO's kid is a senior in high school, I get to deal with this kind of stuff, you can blame me if you want, he does, but there is only so much you can do.

He throws a temper tantrum at his job and storms out, hasn't saved any money for a car, apartment whatever, blames me because I tell the SO he needs to start learning to do things on his own, and nobody showed him how to save money.

Gets pissed off when told he needs to ride the bus half the time. When his phone got stolen he said he couldn't take the bus, he wouldn't know what bus to take without looking it up on his phone. No way he could find another way to look up bus routes and write them down...

Has an excuse for everything, he doesn't do his homework and claims it is because the homework is too easy.

Says he wants to be an engineer, but won't learn how to set up a tent, fix a bike, etc, says he is going to design things.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:23:03 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

My SO's kid is a senior in high school, I get to deal with this kind of stuff, you can blame me if you want, he does, but there is only so much you can do.

He throws a temper tantrum at his job and storms out, hasn't saved any money for a car, apartment whatever, blames me because I tell the SO he needs to start learning to do things on his own, and nobody showed him how to save money.

Gets pissed off when told he needs to ride the bus half the time. When his phone got stolen he said he couldn't take the bus, he wouldn't know what bus to take without looking it up on his phone. No way he could find another way to look up bus routes and write them down...

Has an excuse for everything, he doesn't do his homework and claims it is because the homework is too easy.

Says he wants to be an engineer, but won't learn how to set up a tent, fix a bike, etc, says he is going to design things.

View Quote
Hahaha, sounds like my sister's stepson.  I think he's about 20-21 years old.  Thinks he's awesome but he's barely functional.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:30:43 AM EDT
[#27]
They get it from their pussy parents!!!!

I live in a rich DC suburb where most men can't do basic man-things like service a lawnmower or use a circular saw. Scared of spiders...totally detached, helpless and neutered adults here. When it drizzles or is cold no one is outside: me, my son and daughter are playing tackle football in front yard...like normal Americans.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:59:29 AM EDT
[#28]
sounds like they need a "Rub some dirt on it" department
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:22:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I live in a rich DC suburb where most men can't do basic man-things like service a lawnmower or use a circular saw. Scared of spiders...totally detached, helpless and neutered adults here. When it drizzles or is cold no one is outside: me, my son and daughter are playing tackle football in front yard...like normal Americans.

View Quote

I always found incredibly funny when the yuppies try to work on the car/truck.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:31:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I cant wait to have kids just so i can say "Man the f**k up" to my son someday.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great article, OP.  My wife and I have discussed the topic of helicopter parenting fucking everything up many times, and have unerringly reached the same conclusion as the author.  If this kind of pantywaistedness is the shape of the future, my children will walk the earth like gods.

I cant wait to have kids just so i can say "Man the f**k up" to my son someday.

Lol.  I tell my daughter to suck it up if she tantrums.  She tries... and she's only 2.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:57:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

And reputation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And reputation.

My classmates took some perhaps twisted modicum of pride in attending a university that, at the time, had the reputation (not sure whether or not this reputation was based in fact) for having the highest suicide rate of any school in the nation.  It was taken as a symbol of the rigor of the program and those who graduated were those who could persevere and overcome.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 10:04:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I was talking about that earlier tonight.  That kind of stuff wasn't happening back when you could mail order a machinegun from sears.  Something about our society is sick and causing this.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder if this has any relationship to the rise of unhinged mass murderers in that age group.

Agreed.  

Today, parents are hesitant to punish our kids for bad behavior.  Instead, society points to external circumstances as justifications for those behaviors.  Today, we don’t show shame and disappointment for poor performance.  Instead, we give every child a trophy and a passing grade.  Today, we don’t allow children to learn to overcome adversity.  Instead, we shield them from bullies and strive to eliminate all conflict from their lives.  Today, we don’t let kids work through personal problems themselves.  Instead, we provide numerous “social and emotional supports” in an attempt to ensure they don’t feel bad at any time.  Today, we don’t venerate patience and self control.  Instead we enable instant gratification and frivolity.  At the same time as we do and don’t do all of these things, today we glorify horrific violence and call it entertainment.  

The result is a generation without a strong sense of personal responsibility and restraint; a generation that has been told over and over again that that they are special and deserving of notoriety and praise; a generation that has not learned to deal with difficulty in their own lives; a generation that believes that the world should be theirs now and without working hard to achieve it.  And, what happens when things turn out not to be as promised?  What happens when the hand holding inevitably ends and the reality of life must necessarily present itself to a generation that has not learned how to deal with adversity in that reality?  

They turn to the reality that they have been taught: instant gratification; being in the spotlight; external justifications for bad behavior; and problem solving through violence - copious amounts of glorious violence.

No law is going to fix this social dilemma.  Only a change in society will, and societal change tends to take a long time.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:55:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Hahaha, sounds like my sister's stepson.  I think he's about 20-21 years old.  Thinks he's awesome but he's barely functional.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like a participation award champion.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 12:57:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
This is what happens when you push anyone and everyone with an IQ higher than a goldfish to go to college. You end up with a lot of people who dont have the motivation, maturity or intellectual ability to be there.

Ok well when you have to maintain a GPA of 3.5 or higher to keep your scholarship students start getting really upset with anything less than a A. Even straight Bs would cause you do loose your scholarship. And with the cost of education its understandable for them to panic. Again this problem could be solved if less people went to college....less demand for college = lower tuition rates.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Many students, they said, now view a C, or sometimes even a B, as failure, and they interpret such “failure” as the end of the world.

throw less federal money at it too. Federal money has been a big cause of rising tuition because the feds and banks NEVER SAY NO.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 4:52:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

throw less federal money at it too. Federal money has been a big cause of rising tuition because the feds and banks NEVER SAY NO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they say no, it would assume there is risk involved.  We can't have that now.  The majority of new age of college students are or will be indentured servants...
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 5:07:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
We had it laid down to us in our first Chem 101 lecture class. There were probably 250 in the lecture hall and the Prof told us to introduce ourselves first to the student on our right, then to the one on our left. Then he advised us not to get to know them too well because, "at the end of the year, two of you won't be here".

He was a crusty old guy and funny as Hell. He actually made chemistry interesting. And he was right about 2/3 of the class not making it to their Sophomore year.

This was in 1958.
View Quote

Ah, yes; the proverbial "Kill course" which is designed to weed out entire segments of students, using a right justified curve where 40%+ will get F's, 30% D's, 20% C's, 16% B's, and 4% A's.   And those are required as prerequisites for the major.  Calculus, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and others were designed for this.   Now, they (UW) did offer a "softer" version for getting your lab credit which was graded on a more traditional scale, but was also taught by TA's.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 5:09:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 5:14:04 PM EDT
[#38]
we are a nation of infants.

There isn't enough liquor for this shit.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 5:14:06 PM EDT
[#39]
I graduated with high honors, took 6 years for my associates because of credits
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 5:23:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 6:43:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'm curious to hear why you think that all the .gov money hasn't distorted the economy surrounding higher education?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

I'm curious to hear why you think that all the .gov money hasn't distorted the economy surrounding higher education?

It's not like Freddie and Fannie distorted the housing market...
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 6:58:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Wow, I honestly felt like I was reading an article from The Onion and I kept waiting for the doosey that would prove it was a spoof.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 2:42:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Not bragging.  But my closer to 50 ugly ass has increasingly drawn the attention of 20's and 30's again.

I have had them come out and say they're not enough "men" available their own age.

Interesting times indeed.
View Quote

Indeed they are.  It's uncanny, helps make up for my relative lack of pussy-getting-ness when I was younger...
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 2:46:03 PM EDT
[#44]
You means extreme coddling/sheltering of kids, trying to be their best friend, 5 year olds with cell phones, extreme political correctness, and participation trophies don't result in mentally/psychologically/emotionally strong young adults? Who'd a thunk it?!?!?!?!
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 3:20:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it's great.  In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.  

Post on a woman's Facebook page about her car that won't start?  She'll like your post.  Replace her starter right there in the parking lot so she doesn't have to have it towed?  She'll also like your "post" - repeatedly.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 4:10:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Social Justice Warrior mentality at work
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 9:57:49 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Ah, yes; the proverbial "Kill course" which is designed to weed out entire segments of students, using a right justified curve where 40%+ will get F's, 30% D's, 20% C's, 16% B's, and 4% A's.   And those are required as prerequisites for the major.  Calculus, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and others were designed for this.   Now, they (UW) did offer a "softer" version for getting your lab credit which was graded on a more traditional scale, but was also taught by TA's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

We had it laid down to us in our first Chem 101 lecture class. There were probably 250 in the lecture hall and the Prof told us to introduce ourselves first to the student on our right, then to the one on our left. Then he advised us not to get to know them too well because, "at the end of the year, two of you won't be here".

He was a crusty old guy and funny as Hell. He actually made chemistry interesting. And he was right about 2/3 of the class not making it to their Sophomore year.

This was in 1958.

LOL.  They used to just call that "class."  You really think 40% of students don't deserve to fail, for example, differential equations?

Link Posted: 10/19/2015 10:46:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
When people go to college they are 18 or 19 and they should be able to wipe their own butts, blow their noses and deal with life without the help of anyone else.  If they can not handle everyday life on their own they need to drop out or be kicked out of school and move back in with Mommy and Daddy until they can.  Quit coddling all the little bitches.  It is not a college professors problem if they failed because they went out and partied instead of studying, then cry about it when they flunk out of school.  

I have had several interns at the ranch that said I was too hard on them for not picking up on the simple things (cleanliness, respect for others, and taking pride in what they do) then they would cry when I corrected their behavior through a stern lecture.  I grew up with my butt whooped and yelled at when I was growing up, that is what these interns needed instead of a lecture but I couldn't very well beat them up and yell without some repercussions..
View Quote

This is what caused the problem in the first place. I'll bet if you did a life review of these snowflakes you will find Helicopter Parents or a coddling one that will justify every faling of their darling cherub.  And in the background, you'll find an entire wall of "participation trophys" all given to not hurt little Billy's self-esteem.

These kids have never faced failure or disappointment. They have never or rarely ever faced "want" or "need".

Now they get shoved out of the nest and into an unknown environment (college) where they have 1000's of other snowflakes to compete against . They have to face reality that someone might be better than them at something....academics, sports, band, etc....and they can't handle it.

Society and bad parents engineered these waifs.
Starbucks is full of them....unemployed, full of excuses, and mad at the world that they didn't get their way.

Link Posted: 10/20/2015 12:58:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It is a direct result of the war on boys waged in the educational system.
View Quote

Its only the dumb fucks that listen to it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 1:10:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Welcome to the outcome of liberal parenting and schooling

We were told everyone needs to win a trophy, competition is bad, we need to focus on raising self-esteem, eliminating anything that can be even remotely construed as offensive or hurting feelings, everyone is a special snowflake

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top