Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 8:10:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Bosnianbill just cost me $7.50 with this lock. 6-pin with only security pins, both spool and serrated. And here I thought this hobby was going to be cheap. Already spent $75 today getting some bump keys, a new case, a couple picks, tension wrenches, and now a lock.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 12:25:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bosnianbill just cost me $7.50 with this lock. 6-pin with only security pins, both spool and serrated. And here I thought this hobby was going to be cheap. Already spent $75 today getting some bump keys, a new case, a couple picks, tension wrenches, and now a lock.
View Quote

I finaly saw him give up on breaking into a lock.  He said he was going to use it for his bike.  

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 1:14:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I finaly saw him give up on breaking into a lock.  He said he was going to use it for his bike.  

https://youtu.be/OLsJDELd4lo
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Watched that. Pretty neat lock.

I am more interested in the idea that there is a LEO/MIL section for many lockpick sites. I assume it as to do with things like Medeco that are used in high security places.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 1:20:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I am more interested in the idea that there is a LEO/MIL section for many lockpick sites. I assume it as to do with things like Medeco that are used in high security places.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I remember right, BosnianBill worked for the government specializing in high security locks.
Master lock is constantly threatening to sue him.  That's why he does the videos where he picks master locks with zip ties and cat food lids.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 1:29:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I saw that lock before and it looks super cool
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 1:40:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I saw that lock before and it looks super cool
View Quote

The deadbolt version looks like its very prone to a sledge hammer.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 2:14:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've been wanting to get into this and teach myself for a while but have yet to do so.

Any recommendations as to good tools middle towards high end that will last and work worth their weight contrast to low end cheapo version?  What books do you recommend?
View Quote

Southern Ordinance (South Ord) has a good starter set.. just buy the 8 piece kit- you'll likely never use any more that the basic ones.

I made my picks (with a bench grinder) from a hacksaw blade I found on the side of the road. My torsion wrench is the metal insert from a windshield wiper.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 1:08:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Have seen lock picking threads before, and just discarded them or forgot about them quickly.

However, this one caught my 8nterest and when I got home, I searched my tool box for some thin steel.

Found a package of coping saw blades. Cut the ends off with a pair of Kleins and made a couple of notches in it on the bench grinder.

Then made a tension wrench from an old hexkey wrench.

Within 30 seconds I was able to open a shlage deadbolt. And then duplicated it 3 times on 2 diffefent shlage deadbolt locks.

However, i tried a master lock #5 and cant get it to open.

Is there a certain trick or what?

I saw bosnianbill do a master lock with a plastic zip tie.

Wtf

I am still suprised to open a deadbolt though after just 2 minutes fashioning a couple tools and 30 seconds of raking it in and out and opening a lock.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 1:13:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Have seen lock picking threads before, and just discarded them or forgot about them quickly.

However, this one caught my 8nterest and when I got home, I searched my tool box for some thin steel.

Found a package of coping saw blades. Cut the ends off with a pair of Kleins and made a couple of notches in it on the bench grinder.

Then made a tension wrench from an old hexkey wrench.

Within 30 seconds I was able to open a shlage deadbolt. And then duplicated it 3 times on 2 diffefent shlage deadbolt locks.

However, i tried a master lock #5 and cant get it to open.

Is there a certain trick or what?

I saw bosnianbill do a master lock with a plastic zip tie.

Wtf

I am still suprised to open a deadbolt though after just 2 minutes fashioning a couple tools and 30 seconds of raking it in and out and opening a lock.
View Quote

Is the master lock seized up?   You might have to soak it in some oil.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 1:17:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Why kind of profile did you make on your pick? What style of picking are you using?

It could be that your pick just happens to be perfect for rocking the pins to the shear line on your deadbolts. But over sets pins on the Master lock. I have a disc shaped Master padlock that even though I have opened it several times that gives me some difficulty. I normally can get all but one pin. Either the pin 5 is binding to hard, or pin 3 oversets. Either way I end up having to try to release tension to get them. Half the time I end up dropping most/all the pins.  Haven't been able to rake/scrub it at all, only SPP. Conversely, my practice lock I can pop open in a couple seconds nearly everytime doing a lifting motion using a Bogota style pick.

Link Posted: 9/25/2015 1:34:56 AM EDT
[#11]
And after about 10 seconds I was finally able to scrub that Master lock open.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 9:29:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't know what style or shape I made. Just kind of s shape or little humps I ground into it.

The method was just in and out and jiggling up and down with some pressure on turning the cylinder .
The first pick I made broke off so I remade it on the other end of the blade. And still got it to work again on the deadbolt . Tried on the master the same method . Wasn't working so on the broken end I just ground a slight curve into it and tried that too.
I figured the master would be real easy.

And no, the master is not froze up. I have the keys and it works just fine.

Guess I'm doing something wrong. I'll try again later.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 10:37:05 AM EDT
[#13]
You could try making something like a half diamond pick and single pin pick it.

I found on my master lock, that it didnt take much to set the pins. If I wasn't careful just getting my pick into the keyway would over set the first pin or two.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 11:00:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don't know what style or shape I made. Just kind of s shape or little humps I ground into it.

The method was just in and out and jiggling up and down with some pressure on turning the cylinder .
The first pick I made broke off so I remade it on the other end of the blade. And still got it to work again on the deadbolt . Tried on the master the same method . Wasn't working so on the broken end I just ground a slight curve into it and tried that too.
I figured the master would be real easy.

And no, the master is not froze up. I have the keys and it works just fine.

Guess I'm doing something wrong. I'll try again later.
View Quote

Just keep at it.  If after a couple of passes it doesn't open then let off tension so the pins can reset.  Try varying the tension, maybe you're not getting a pin up at all.

I've read that on Master Locks their tolerances are too loose to easily pick one pin at a time.  I wouldn't know, I've always gotten by with raking anything I wanted to open.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 11:03:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Anyone know how to pick one of those circle key locks?

I've got a hitch locked into my truck's receiver and the lock has seized up.

Example:
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 11:11:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Anyone know how to pick one of those circle key locks?

I've got a hitch locked into my trucks receiver and the lock has seized up.
View Quote

You might be out of luck if it is seized.  
A local locksmith about be able to pick it and cut a new key for it.

Link Posted: 9/25/2015 12:52:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 1:25:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Some of my stuff

This rides in my wallet all the time.

The big kit.

The kit that lives in the car

My practice lock and a set I keep for other people to play with.

My latest acquisition, a Bogota set that pin inside my jacket.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 1:44:05 PM EDT
[#19]

How do you like the Bogota? I have been tempted to pick up a set.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 2:21:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I like 'em, VERY handy little picks, I got the Titanium set from ITS Tactical
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 3:11:36 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

A pair of those might have to make it into my GHB. Though I do dislike this the theme of LEO/MIL only shit. Which was highlighted in that video.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 3:24:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

A pair of those might have to make it into my GHB. Though I do dislike this the theme of LEO/MIL only shit. Which was highlighted in that video.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got the impression from them that it is only a CYA thing, they mention locksport and I have never had a problem buying from them.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 4:10:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Well I broke down and ordered the Bogata Titan and Entry Card from serepick.com. I think I am up to $200+ in picking gear ordered just this week.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 12:09:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Daywalker/Weekend Bump.

So what are everyone's favorite locks, both for picking and to defend the castle? I bought a Medeco for my gun room and was disappointed to find out how exploitable the M3s are.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 6:33:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 6:41:28 PM EDT
[#26]
WE do work at a bank that has a similar double cut key I will have to see what the make is. he silly thing is they have it on a mostly glass door
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 7:03:22 PM EDT
[#27]

Schuyler Towne - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/SchuylerTowne
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 7:08:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 7:09:34 PM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Daywalker/Weekend Bump.
So what are everyone's favorite locks, both for picking and to defend the castle? I bought a Medeco for my gun room and was disappointed to find out how exploitable the M3s are.

Have you considered Schlage Primus?

http://us.allegion.com/Large%20Images/590x332/WP_5997_590x332.jpg
This would be a very good choice as well.  The idea you are going for with residential locks is to get one that is a big enough pain in the ass that the crook will pass you by or resort to other entry techniques.  Thieves are lazy and will pass up well secured houses unless they have a very specific reason to target you.  After all, there are plenty of good theft targets with a quickset on the door.

Overall home security past the lock is something many people overlook.  Is it easy to get into any windows?  Yes, plant a thorny bush underneath it.  Is your gun room door with the medeco lock on it made from flimsy shit that can be kicked in?  You don't need to make your house a castle, you just need to make it too much of a pain in the ass to break into for the thief to bother.

Link Posted: 9/28/2015 7:22:56 PM EDT
[#30]
I was once shown a video on how to pick the exact locks we were issued to secure the two-person controlled goodies in an ICBM launch control center.

I had dreams of my crew partner picking my lock while I slept.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 10:41:34 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

This would be a very good choice as well.  The idea you are going for with residential locks is to get one that is a big enough pain in the ass that the crook will pass you by or resort to other entry techniques.  Thieves are lazy and will pass up well secured houses unless they have a very specific reason to target you.  After all, there are plenty of good theft targets with a quickset on the door.

Overall home security past the lock is something many people overlook.  Is it easy to get into any windows?  Yes, plant a thorny bush underneath it.  Is your gun room door with the medeco lock on it made from flimsy shit that can be kicked in?  You don't need to make your house a castle, you just need to make it too much of a pain in the ass to break into for the thief to bother.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Daywalker/Weekend Bump.

Even with the M3s faults, I doubt I am going to have to be concerned about anyone bypassing it directly. The exploits aren't fully published as the locks are used in sensitive areas and it still takes a good bit of skill. I hear the Primus series is damn good and very difficult to pick/bypass.

And you are spot on. All security should be in layers. Needless to say my gun room has that in spades.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 11:14:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Could just get Abloy locks and completely eliminate the possibility of someone picking their way in...

Something to note, even if you don't have the strongest doors, windows, etc, there is something good about forcing an intruder to resort to destructive entry. You'll know they were there right away, and it attracts a lot more attention when they're breaking down your door/window.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 6:13:17 AM EDT
[#33]
I ordered some security pins a while back and they finally arrived. Looking forward to trying some out in my practice lock as its gotten way too easy to open it. Of course at the same time I haven't been able to open that $7 Master Lock with all security pins.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 11:04:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Added a single spool to my 5-pin practice lock. Couldn't even tell the difference most of the time. Going to have to keep upping the pin count until it slows me down.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 12:31:24 AM EDT
[#35]
the stainless entry cards from sere pick are worthless, look great until you try to use them. bend like no other and edges are super rough from laser cutter
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 12:38:02 AM EDT
[#36]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Daywalker/Weekend Bump.

Has t9 be way better than my shlage deadbolts here.

Within a little after reading this thread,  I fashioned a pick from an old coping saw blade and a he key to turn the lock.

5 minutes to grind the tools and 30 seconds to break into my house,  twice.

I was like
Eta

Read thread a few weeks ago or 2 he never I first noticed it.

Picking a shlage deadbolt from nothing to 5 minutes was ez pz.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 12:39:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
When its slow at work, Ill bust out the picks and lock and take a few goes at it. Seems like a good hobby that can be done nearly anywhere when you have a few minutes. I can carry the lock. pick set and spare pins in my pockets.
View Quote

I always thought it would be fun but was worried about carrying them around with me.     With my luck I would get pulled over by law enforcement and get arrested for "burglary tools" or some such nonsense.

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 12:45:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I always thought it would be fun but was worried about carrying them around with me.     With my luck I would get pulled over by law enforcement and get arrested for "burglary tools" or some such nonsense.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When its slow at work, Ill bust out the picks and lock and take a few goes at it. Seems like a good hobby that can be done nearly anywhere when you have a few minutes. I can carry the lock. pick set and spare pins in my pockets.

I wish last Thursday I had a pick set on me. Would have saved me from setting up ladders to get over a stupid gate with a kwikset deadbolt lock. And saved the other crew behind me the same anguish .
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 2:18:16 AM EDT
[#39]
I am about to pull the trigger on the sparrows Night School tuxedo + edition and some bump keys unless someone talks me into something else

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 2:51:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Tried it on padlocks, could not do it.

Used to be able to open and lock desk locks by picking.

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 11:28:46 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View Quote
That is why you need to practice I bet it would come back quick

Where do you guys bu your security pins? would a decent locksmith sell just the pins?
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 11:35:16 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Only the orange-ish states consider picks to be evidence of criminal activity. The rest of the country has to prove intent.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 11:37:08 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Has t9 be way better than my shlage deadbolts here.

Within a little after reading this thread,  I fashioned a pick from an old coping saw blade and a he key to turn the lock.

5 minutes to grind the tools and 30 seconds to break into my house,  twice.

I was like

Eta

Read thread a few weeks ago or 2 he never I first noticed it.

Picking a shlage deadbolt from nothing to 5 minutes was ez pz.
View Quote

You won't be picking a Primus anytime soon. Or my Medeco for that matter. If you didn't spend a couple hundred on a lock its likely garbage as far as security goes.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 11:38:43 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Where do you guys bu your security pins? would a decent locksmith sell just the pins?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I ordered them from the same place as my practice lock.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 4:17:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Where do the standard auto/motorcycle type locks fall on the scale? Do the double sided keys actually engage on both sides?

Quoted:

http://toool.us/images/usa_law_map.png

Only the orange-ish states consider picks to be evidence of criminal activity. The rest of the country has to prove intent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So Nevada is yellow, what's that mean? Or does it fall under orangish?
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:26:18 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks I think I will get my picks there too and the 7 pin practice lock man

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 10:45:36 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Where do the standard auto/motorcycle type locks fall on the scale? Do the double sided keys actually engage on both sides?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Add on law.  They add another charge on when they catch you doing something else illegal while in possession of lock picks.  Otherwise you are G2G.  http://toool.us/laws.html

Link Posted: 11/4/2015 12:03:22 PM EDT
[#48]
There's a blue point (snap on) automotive 37 piece set at a pawn shop I know of. They have it marked @ 120, but I could get them down a lot lower.

Anyone know if this is worth the money?
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 12:39:53 PM EDT
[#49]
I am a hobbyist, and mainly stick to padlocks and shit.

Currently I am trying to get the hang of picking pin and tumbler door type locks, but I keep getting sidetracked.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 12:42:29 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I am a hobbyist, and mainly stick to padlocks and shit.

Currently I am trying to get the hang of picking pin and tumbler door type locks, but I keep getting sidetracked.
View Quote

I am leaning toward getting a lock stand of some sort because I am getting 'spoiled' holding the lock in my hand while I pick. I have found that I have issues with installed locks because I am not use to applying tension without feedback from both hands.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top