Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2015 6:39:38 AM EDT
Just picked up an Esky BeltCP rig from my dad.  He bought it a few years ago, failed a series of flights, went through several sets of mainblades, eventually bent the tail boom.  It sat in a box until last night when I decided to give it a second chance.  My only experience so far is on a little Interceptor 052, so this will be my first time on a 'real' r/c heli.

So far it needs a tail boom, mainblade nut/bolt set, and the plastic clamp that holds the two tail stabilizer rods and has the horizontal wing screwed in to it.  Other than those few broken parts it's in good shape, just a little dusty from sitting in a box for so long.

I found a few places that have the parts I need for not a lot of money, but is this thing worth fixing?  When it's all said and done I'll probably be $30 or so in to getting it airborne again.  Are there any must-have mods I should get for it?
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 7:13:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just picked up an Esky BeltCP rig from my dad.  He bought it a few years ago, failed a series of flights, went through several sets of mainblades, eventually bent the tail boom.  It sat in a box until last night when I decided to give it a second chance.  My only experience so far is on a little Interceptor 052, so this will be my first time on a 'real' r/c heli.

So far it needs a tail boom, mainblade nut/bolt set, and the plastic clamp that holds the two tail stabilizer rods and has the horizontal wing screwed in to it.  Other than those few broken parts it's in good shape, just a little dusty from sitting in a box for so long.

I found a few places that have the parts I need for not a lot of money, but is this thing worth fixing?  When it's all said and done I'll probably be $30 or so in to getting it airborne again.  Are there any must-have mods I should get for it?
View Quote

I'd do some searching on Helifreak.com.

The new version only sells for ~$130 so I'd be mindful of that when purchasing repair parts.

I wouldn't add any upgrades.  To go flybarless you'll need a new head and an fbl controller, which could cost as much as a new kit.

Gonna be interesting to fly  Probably has an Esky gyro in it, flybarred...good times.  I say fix it, fly it, and when it crashes have a good laugh with your dad.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 7:16:57 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The new version only sells for ~$130 so I'd be mindful of that when purchasing repair parts.

I wouldn't add any upgrades.  To go flybarless you'll need a new head and an fbl controller, which could cost as much as a new kit.
Gonna be interesting to fly  Probably has an Esky gyro in it, flybarred...good times.  I say fix it, fly it, and when it crashes have a good laugh with your dad.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What are the advantages and disadvantages of going flybarless?  I'm assuming the flybar is that stabilizer bar with the blade ends that sits atop the rotor assembly.  Similar to what I've got on my Interceptor 052, but on that one it's cylinder-shaped counter weights instead of blade ends.

ETA:  Do you have any recommendations for a sub-$100 heli that would be a good step or two above something like the 3-3.5ch Symas or Interceptors?  I'd really like to step up to a 'more real' heli, but don't want to drop a lot of money on something I'm not sure I'll be in to yet.

Link Posted: 9/21/2015 7:41:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

What are the advantages and disadvantages of going flybarless?  I'm assuming the flybar is that stabilizer bar with the blade ends that sits atop the rotor assembly.  Similar to what I've got on my Interceptor 052, but on that one it's cylinder-shaped counter weights instead of blade ends.

ETA:  Do you have any recommendations for a sub-$100 heli that would be a good step or two above something like the 3-3.5ch Symas or Interceptors?  I'd really like to step up to a 'more real' heli, but don't want to drop a lot of money on something I'm not sure I'll be in to yet.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flybarless, with a decent controller, is more stable.  I learned on a flybarred heli.  You really have to fly a flybarred heli against wind gusts, setup mistakes, etc.  since the gyro's only going to correct tail position.  A flybarless controller handles those minute inputs for you.

In terms of sub-$100 collective pitch helis?  I'm sure they exist, I just don't know enough about them to help.  The cheap CP helis generally come with a really terrible controller that's both difficult to set up correctly and will still fly horribly when it is.

I would look at a used Trex 450 or 500.  Lots of parts available, big enough to be stable, easy-ish to work on.  Again, I'd do some reading on helifreak.com ; they also have a "for sale" board.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 7:44:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Flybarless, with a decent controller, is more stable.  I learned on a flybarred heli.  You really have to fly a flybarred heli against wind gusts, setup mistakes, etc.  since the gyro's only going to correct tail position.  A flybarless controller handles those minute inputs for you.

In terms of sub-$100 collective pitch helis?  I'm sure they exist, I just don't know enough about them to help.  The cheap CP helis generally come with a really terrible controller that's both difficult to set up correctly and will still fly horribly when it is.

I would look at a used Trex 450 or 500.  Lots of parts available, big enough to be stable, easy-ish to work on.  Again, I'd do some reading on helifreak.com ; they also have a "for sale" board.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Awesome, thanks for the info.  Found a neat video on flybar vs flybarless so I've got that covered now I think.

I'll check that website out.

Link Posted: 9/21/2015 8:36:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Good luck.  Be sure to budget several hundred a month for repair costs if you really want to learn to fly it.  Trust me I've been there and done it.  I never really got much past learning nose in hovering before I gave it up.  Got a brand new 500 sitting there for a couple years.  Can't get up the nerve to destroy it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 10:19:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I picked up a complete tail assembly on ebay for about 27shipped.  It's the entire tail section and even has the servo on it.

While waiting for that I picked up a Syma S107G and 4DCopter X-Drone Nano 2.0 Quadroter.  Been playing with those since I got off work.  The drone had a bit of a learning curve to it after flying so much with the fixed-pitch mini helis.   That Syma S107G is a pretty neat little beginner heli for  the 18 bucks it cost.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 10:28:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Man....I have Trex 450. It scares the shit out of me. 3500 RPM on those blades....one wrong move or system failure and you are losing limbs. Its a flying lawnmower.

check out our unofficial RC thread here

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 10:35:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a few.   This should be your first upgrade.    

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 10:35:13 PM EDT
[#9]
GET A SIMULATOR.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 10:47:29 PM EDT
[#10]
A picture would be cool
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 10:57:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A picture would be cool
View Quote

I think it's this one unless he has a newer model.  

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 12:06:06 AM EDT
[#12]
If you are brand new to RC helicopter flying you definitely have to learn how to crawl before running. A collective pitch is not a good way to learn unless you have no issue buying lots of replacement parts.

Staring with a simulator is the easiest way to go. Learn to fly a lot of different craft, and when you crash, hit reset, no muss, no fuss.

Flying the real thing I would definitely start with a smaller coaxial (good for learning orientation) or fixed pitch. Blade/Eflite makes some decent helicopters and parts are available for repairs. The MCX2 is a coaxial, or its fixed pitch brother the mSR. If you want a bit bigger the 120SR are good ,starter helis. Just remember, bigger they are, harder they fall. Equals to more broken parts and larger repair bills. Once you master hovering in all orientations and fast forward flight you can move on to collective pitch. For the price, the Blade nano cpx is a good learning collective pitch. With the brushless motor upgrade it becomes a decent 3d aerobatic micro helicopter. If you fly over grass, and are quick on the throttle hold, it is almost indestructible. The Mcpx bl is an awesome 3d collective pitch helicopter. Unless you have a computerized transmitter and can tone it down a bit I would not recommend it for a beginner. Its nicknamed the angry hornet for a reason.

Once you go up from there you get into the larger sized helicopter. This is an addictive game and your garage will soon become a hanger.

Biggest thing I could recommend is that if you are going to get more serious in the hobby is to get a decent computerized transmitter. Most now have model memory so you can have one transmitter that will run any model with a compatible receiver (fixed wing, helicopter, multirotor). Also some of the simulators like Pheonix allow you to use your flight transmitter to practice on. Hook the computer up to the TV and you have a great RC training ground.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 12:08:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you are brand new to RC helicopter flying you definitely have to learn how to crawl before running. A collective pitch is not a good way to learn unless you have no issue buying lots of replacement parts.

Staring with a simulator is the easiest way to go. Learn to fly a lot of different craft, and when you crash, hit reset, no muss, no fuss.

Flying the real thing I would definitely start with a smaller coaxial (good for learning orientation) or fixed pitch. Blade/Eflite makes some decent helicopters and parts are available for repairs. The MCX2 is a coaxial, or its fixed pitch brother the mSR. If you want a bit bigger the 120SR are good ,starter helis. Just remember, bigger they are, harder they fall. Equals to more broken parts and larger repair bills. Once you master hovering in all orientations and fast forward flight you can move on to collective pitch. For the price, the Blade nano cpx is a good learning collective pitch. With the brushless motor upgrade it becomes a decent 3d aerobatic micro helicopter. If you fly over grass, and are quick on the throttle hold, it is almost indestructible. The Mcpx bl is an awesome 3d collective pitch helicopter. Unless you have a computerized transmitter and can tone it down a bit I would not recommend it for a beginner. Its nicknamed the angry hornet for a reason.

Once you go up from there you get into the larger sized helicopter. This is an addictive game and your garage will soon become a hanger.

Biggest thing I could recommend is that if you are going to get more serious in the hobby is to get a decent computerized transmitter. Most now have model memory so you can have one transmitter that will run any model with a compatible receiver (fixed wing, helicopter, multirotor). Also some of the simulators like Pheonix allow you to use your flight transmitter to practice on. Hook the computer up to the TV and you have a great RC training ground.
View Quote

It sounds like he is already flying coaxials.   Like you said, they are great for orientation.   He will love flying outside with a CP or fixed vs a Coaxial  but learning to balance a bowling ball on a pool cue still takes some time.
People think sims are expensive, but after rebuilding a helicpter 2-3 times you are at about the same price point.

Blades are great helis.  These are my babies.

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 1:41:58 AM EDT
[#14]
If your looking for a great deal on another collective pitch addition to your hanger keep an eye on the Blade 130x Bo-105 Red Bull edition.

Blade 130x Red Bull

I picked up one of these dirt cheap. Its pretty much a 130x with a scale fuselage. For some reason it was never really popular due to it being a maintenance hog if you mistreat it, so they cleared them out quick.

I've had mine for quite a while and if you fly it scale its a hoot. The four blade main rotor even sounds like a turbine spooling up. It can fly inverted, but its a bit heavy for it. Does beautiful stall turns, fast forward flight, forward rolls, and basic flips. Hard to beat for under $100. And parts are still available.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 2:43:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Man....I have Trex 450. It scares the shit out of me. 3500 RPM on those blades....one wrong move or system failure and you are losing limbs. Its a flying lawnmower.

View Quote

I ran mine into my shin learning nose-in hover.  Wasn't too bad, small bruise.  Trex totaled.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 7:27:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I ran mine into my shin learning nose-in hover.  Wasn't too bad, small bruise.  Trex totaled.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You ran a 450 into your shin and all you got was a bruise?

My buddy spooled his up on his desk while doing some tuning.  Cut his arms pretty good.  I'd say you got very lucky.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 7:59:02 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

My buddy spooled his up on his desk while doing some tuning.  Cut his arms pretty good.  I'd say you got very lucky.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bigger heli and CF blades, but yeah, you can get dead.

Graphics.  http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=641_1379976208
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 8:04:26 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote

My Interceptor 052 and Syma S107G are both coaxial/FP and I've been having a blast flying those.  Not having as much luck on my X-Drone Nano 2.0 since that's a whole new beast, so I'll need to practice with that a bit more.

I will be putting in a bit more time on my coaxials before I attempt flying the Esky Belt-CP.  I'm told that the biggest downside to this model is the crappy controller, but a decent 6ch controller isn't exactly cheap.  Naturally I checked the prices of Futabas first since that's what I ran when I professionally raced 1/10scale oval/tri-oval some years ago...and damn are those expensive.

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 8:10:07 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
My Interceptor 052 and Syma S107G are both coaxial/FP and I've been having a blast flying those.  Not having as much luck on my X-Drone Nano 2.0 since that's a whole new beast, so I'll need to practice with that a bit more.

I will be putting in a bit more time on my coaxials before I attempt flying the Esky Belt-CP.  I'm told that the biggest downside to this model is the crappy controller, but a decent 6ch controller isn't exactly cheap.  Naturally I checked the prices of Futabas first since that's what I ran when I professionally raced 1/10scale oval/tri-oval some years ago...and damn are those expensive.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, Yes they are.

Not as good as a modern Futaba, fut far and away better than the $400 6ch futaba FM unit I lusted after back in the day.

Yes, FM.

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 12:42:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh, pick up a used Spektrum radio, one of their DX models, and save big time.  RC Heli pilots are similar to every other hobby, the latest and greatest must be had and they put their old stuff up for sale at clearance prices.

Additionally, you need to be looking at a 7 channel transmitter.  You'll need the 7th channel for your flybarless controller that you will eventually own.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 12:53:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Meh, pick up a used Spektrum radio, one of their DX models, and save big time.  RC Heli pilots are similar to every other hobby, the latest and greatest must be had and they put their old stuff up for sale at clearance prices.

Additionally, you need to be looking at a 7 channel transmitter.  You'll need the 7th channel for your flybarless controller that you will eventually own.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love the DX7s.  I don't know if it still comes with the extra recievers.  I think mine came with three.

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 1:04:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I love the DX7s.  I don't know if it still comes with the extra recievers.  I think mine came with three.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e308/rdxfusion/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps9gwgocut.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e308/rdxfusion/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps9gwgocut.jpg

I still use a JR-built DX7.  Paid ~$70 for it 3 years ago as part of a package deal.

I wish the menus were as easy to navigate as they are with the new transmitters (roller wheel equipped), but that's my only complaint.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 1:05:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I still use a JR-built DX7.  Paid ~$70 for it 3 years ago as part of a package deal.

I wish the menus were as easy to navigate as they are with the new transmitters (roller wheel equipped), but that's my only complaint.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The roller wheel is my only complaint.   Its too easy to press.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:45:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Got the new tail section installed, the rear rotor assembly seems beefier than what I had installed.  Charged the battery, plugged it in, turned on the controller, heard some noise/beeps, went to give it a little throttle and the ESC started pouring out smoke from both ends.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:34:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Got the new tail section installed, the rear rotor assembly seems beefier than what I had installed.  Charged the battery, plugged it in, turned on the controller, heard some noise/beeps, went to give it a little throttle and the ESC started pouring out smoke from both ends.
View Quote

Assuming you had the battery plug soldered on correctly, these things happen.  They're moving a lot of power and just give up some times.  At least it was on the bench and not in the air.

I had an old Align ESC show me the magic smoke on spoolup one time.  

I had to wait for the blades to stop turning before I could even try to save anything.  Standing there and watching your expensive toy go nuclear sucks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top