Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Nope, calling bs on that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My former coworker hated them. He said that his unit traded what they could for M2s instead. Does that really happen?

lol, we sure did in the big army. MK19s got emplaced on TI for overrun defense, as they had very limited effectiveness against afghan compound walls and we got in trouble for using them to clear IEDs out of culverts.

M2 for the road, Mk19 for the house.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 3:10:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

lol, we sure did in the big army. MK19s got emplaced on TI for overrun defense, as they had very limited effectiveness against afghan compound walls and we got in trouble for using them to clear IEDs out of culverts.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My former coworker hated them. He said that his unit traded what they could for M2s instead. Does that really happen?

He never seemed full of shit.... just "off" a little. Whenever he was down or in a shitty mood, he would ride his four wheeler over to the house and we would drink beer until we ran out. HE was deaf as a fucking post though.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 3:50:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

so route clearance was a MK 19 ......
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 4:02:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Found out, if you dial the T&E on to a target at long range and hold the trigger, the rounds would start to detonate in a chain reaction. Frag from the base of the first round would hit the second in the air causing an air burst, which would frag the next one and so on.
View Quote

Ha...I discovered that in Somalia (at the 1-way range, not 2-way).  It's like throwing a baseball...you can just look at the target and know the range by eyeball.

At Camp Santiago in P.R., we were shooting across a valley from one mountain range to another...45 second flight time.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 4:17:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Friend of mine was a mk19 gunner on a Bradley in Iraq.  He will go on and on about how awesome it was.  I never asked him about malfunctions or anything though.
View Quote

A MK19..on a bradley fighting vehicle..????...perhaps he.meant ASV.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 5:41:39 AM EDT
[#8]
When I was a young man back in 1996, I was in MCT (Marine Combat Training for non-infantry Marines). Anyways, we got 7 round belts of the training rounds to shoot. The Marine in front of me got the T&E dialed in so my plan was to go up and let loose all 7 rounds, something we were told not to do. But fuck that, it would be worth it. So 19 year old me happily runs up to to the mk19, just in time for the trainer to look at me give the T&E a spin with the force of a 1000 suns. Needless to say, the gun is no longer dialed in. He wouldnt even let me attempt to dial it in. tells me to shoot one round at a time until I have it back on target. I get it on target with 2 rounds left which I of course fired in FA. Damm what could have been great was destroyed.

One day I will be rich and a class 3 manufacturer just so I can have a mk19.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 5:48:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It'll jam pretty much whenever it feels like it.
A bit tedious to disassemble and reassemble.
Still bad ass though it's basically a machine gun that shoots grenades.
View Quote

DoD still hasn't officially decided which of these it is, we call it a grenade launcher sometimes, a machine gun other times.

IIRC, it was procured and fielded in the U.S. as a grenade launcher, but we were reporting to to Wassenaar as a machine gun for years.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 5:50:37 AM EDT
[#10]
it's wide enough to tuck your head behind when taking incoming rounds up in the turret.

also, in some situations you can't get it to elevate up high enough...it's a good weapon to keep people pinned until helicopters or artillery/ mortars arrive
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 5:53:37 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

it's wide enough to tuck your head behind when taking incoming rounds up in the turret.

View Quote
LOL it sure as hell is!

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 8:42:41 PM EDT
[#12]
my cousin swore by the mk 18 in nam on pbr's.  I told him about the mk 19 and he was very interested.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top