Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2015 11:35:06 PM EDT
Is it doable? I been trying to find some common laws for  traveling as a tourist. To Fiji, Finland and  Thailand? Better to buy one there? Or just press your luck without one?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:35:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:37:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Good luck buying a gun legally in a foreign country.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:38:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Is it doable? I been trying to find some common laws for  traveling as a tourist. To Fiji, Finland and  Thailand? Better to buy one there? Or just press your luck without one?
View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:38:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

What about taking one there? Finding one that is legal in the country and declaring it with my bags?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:39:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote
Used to buy Henry Martinis and mail them home while in Afghanistan.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:40:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought guns were illegal in most Asian countries.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:41:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe you should start slow. Like, the next state over slow. Once you get a grasp of how wildly different gun laws are from state to state, maybe then start looking at another country.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:41:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

What about taking one there? Finding one that is legal in the country and declaring it with my bags?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The headaches involved.......I can't imagine.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:46:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Anyone here tried?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:47:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Short of being part of a secret service protection detail, it probably isn't happening. I've heard of people bringing their guns to Canada for hunting trips but that's probably a pain in the ass also.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:47:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read up on KNIFE laws.

I got into some trouble in UK for my little EDC knife with a liner lock.

Can't imagine guns
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:47:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Fiji--

After the last coup, you have to apply before you possess the weapon. Good luck, as a tourist. They want you to apply for an import permit then apply for the license. You need to have valid proof you are a bona fide shooter (yep, that is their terminology). I would guess you would mail in your application prior to arrival. The require 2 references, so I have no idea how they will interview your spouse and another person, when they can't come to the station.

You can immediately possess one there, but you have to be under direct supervision of a person with a license. I found this the easiest way.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:48:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Anyone here tried?
View Quote

Took a shotgun to Canada for a snowgoose hunt. That was a mild pain in the ass, and we were driving.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:49:37 PM EDT
[#14]
LOL

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:51:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Is it doable?
View Quote
No, forget it.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:53:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Most of the time it evolves an invitation from a club in the country you are goin to, the invitation being for an actual competition. Even then most people who I know that compete in other country's bring their gear and borrow when they get there unless it is a very high level event. That is my extent of knowledge on the subject though so take it for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:54:18 PM EDT
[#17]
OP is the guy who tries to check his handgun when visiting the empire state building
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:54:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Sure.

Took rifles to Botswana and South Africa.

Customs form here

Permits in the country you are going.

Letter from safari company

Import tax on ammo.

Took about 6 months and cost $300-350 iirc

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:55:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:Or just press your luck without one?
View Quote

You'll be fine... Or maybe you won't be with that thought process. I've been to a lot of fucked up countries without guns and miraculously lived to tell the tale.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:57:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You'll be fine. I've been to a lot of fucked up countries without guns and I miraculously lived to tell the tale.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Or just press your luck without one?

You'll be fine. I've been to a lot of fucked up countries without guns and I miraculously lived to tell the tale.

I just spent a week in California. I should be dead
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:59:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I just spent some time in finland and thailand.

Sorry i cant be more helpful.   LOL is all i have.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:01:09 AM EDT
[#22]
I fly to Cebu once a year, and although it would be nice to have, I wouldn't even think about trying to bring a gun there. Even if possible, there'd be a pretty good chance that it'd get stolen before you even got your bags. Hypothetically speaking, if say I wanted to attain a firearm in a foreign country, I'd chat up a valet/bellman at the hotel I was staying in, and see if I couldn't make one appear (with enough money, of course).  I know I can get one in the P.I., but the idea of ending up in a Third World prison, has overridden my desire to posses one. Either way, good luck OP
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:04:07 AM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:08:24 AM EDT
[#24]
I hear Somalia is nice this time of year.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:10:36 AM EDT
[#25]
OH LAWD!

I'm in for the stupid advice that gets people locked up abroad!

OP, its hard enough for a civilian to legally own and carry a weapon in THIS country.  Do tell, what makes you think any other country would be ok with it?

....crazy American....

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:11:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Flying to the UK op?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:12:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We used to buy shotguns in Turkey and bring them back.  It took work but is not impossible.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:15:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

We used to buy shotguns in Turkey and bring them back.  It took work but is not impossible.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buying and shipping home?  Maybe.

CCW in a foreign third world country...?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:29:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't think you will find any civilized country in the world that will let you tote around a firearm as a random tourist. On the other hand if you have significant amounts of money and legal residency you might find the odd country that will let you have something.  CNN article on Thailand The rest of the world is a very different place, you should give it a visit sometime
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:31:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Flew to Frankfurt and left my guns with customs for a week then continued to Namibia. No issues aside from a baggage lady at SAA that didn't know why I couldn't bring my gun into Germany. She sent a SMOKING hot brunette to weigh my bag and put a tag on it and customs dropped it into the baggage system.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:42:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:44:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Some of the stuff you read in GD. lol Have you never traveled outside the US? No, you can't bring a gun and no you can't buy one in another country, its fair to say. Well, you could probably buy one, but don't plan on coming home for years if you get caught with it. lol

There are very few countries you can bring a firearm to and in those there are plenty of hoops to jump though.
View Quote

I think you would be surprised.

I even know of one country where an American passport will get you a handgun, legally, which you can carry, legally.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:53:59 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I even know of one country where an American passport will get you a handgun, legally, which you can carry, legally.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Some of the stuff you read in GD. lol Have you never traveled outside the US? No, you can't bring a gun and no you can't buy one in another country, its fair to say. Well, you could probably buy one, but don't plan on coming home for years if you get caught with it. lol

There are very few countries you can bring a firearm to and in those there are plenty of hoops to jump though.

Well?

OP:

Other than hunting and lots of paper works You won't beable to bring in anything. Pretty sure you can't bring in and sort of handgun.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:01:35 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Middle eastern?

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:11:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Middle eastern?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Middle eastern?  

Yes.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:11:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Well?

OP:
Other than hunting and lots of paper works You won't beable to bring in anything. Pretty sure you can't bring in and sort of handgun.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well?

OP:

I think you might be surprised. Particularly in the developing world.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:12:44 AM EDT
[#37]
I toted a 45-70 around Spain a few years ago. All I needed was an entry permit and hunting license. Traveling with firearms even for hunting is a royal pain in the ass. Not only do you need to ensure that you are in compliance with the requirements for your destination, you need to know and comply with any requirements for any country you transit through for connecting flights.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:17:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I toted a 45-70 around Spain a few years ago. All I needed was an entry permit and hunting license. Traveling with firearms even for hunting is a royal pain in the ass. Not only do you need to ensure that you are in compliance with the requirements for your destination, you need to know and comply with any requirements for any country you transit through for connecting flights.
View Quote

For instance, you will not be checking a firearm through the UK all the way to Zimbabwe.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:22:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Sure.

Took rifles to Botswana and South Africa.

Customs form here
Permits in the country you are going.
Letter from safari company
Import tax on ammo.

Took about 6 months and cost $300-350 iirc

View Quote

One other thing. If you use factory ammo in a like chambered rifle your are fine. If you have a rifle marked one caliber and ammo made from another case marked with another caliber holly hell you are in for a ride.

Guy I saw spent the night in a hotel where his flight arrived. Took a knowledgeable official who understood reloading. The wanted to now why he had ammo for a rifle he didn't own due to the head stamps.

I was warned to either bring ammo that matched the caliber marked on the rifle. Didn't matter if it was correct or not. Make it match. In other word if you brought a 257 Roberts made from 7x57 and head-stamped that way the rifle needed to be marked 7x57.

No marks on the cases was not a problem at all al long as you proved they went with a certain firearm.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:08:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Op not only can you cannot own, much less carry a gun in the countries you mention, attempting to bring on into said countries as a US resident will get you locked up abroad. If you are caught by US customs trying to leave the country to those destinations checking a firearm or hell trying to a bring knife into 2 of them will land you in some shit.  They are not the US.

This is a no go.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:45:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Stick it in your checked baggage and post a AAR. As a sovereign citizen, it's your diplomatic right, right?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:50:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Seems like a huge pain in the ass. Just leave the gun at home.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:03:08 AM EDT
[#43]
In!

Before OP is thrown in jail
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 6:57:41 AM EDT
[#44]
I'm going to tour Europe next month and am taking this - ATF Form 6 has been approved ............

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:11:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Jeez us Christ...s
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:30:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Good luck.
View Quote

I've met a lot of old guys that carried guns all through France, Italy and Germany before.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:42:07 AM EDT
[#47]
My dad brought a baby Browning 25 auto back from France . It was not easy .
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:22:06 AM EDT
[#48]
If you're asking this question seriously right now, you aren't ready for international travel.

FYI Thailand is an awesome trip but not for beginners. If you want to get your feet wet in Asia start with Japan or China.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top