Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/3/2015 11:02:20 PM EDT
And kosher meals in government facilities and allowing military members time to practice their religion.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:04:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Derp.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:15:27 PM EDT
[#2]
There is no law passed by the federal congress changing the definition of marriage. Neither was a law passed by the state of KY to change the definition.

All we got ("all"...) was a supreme court case that determined that the 14th amendment - beyond all probability, was really all along about allowing future generations to change the definition of "marriage" to suit their fluid, changing understanding of the same term....the 10th amendment notwithstanding.

But the clerk swore an oath to uphold the constitution of the US and KY before this SCOTUS case was conjured out of whole cloth. Changing the terms and definition and meaning of a Constitutional amendment beyond anything the drafters and voters of that amendment would have wanted, cannot stand.

So her invoking religion notwithstanding, her case is actually stronger from a strictly legal basis. How can any court ex post facto change the terms of a contract like this?

It would be like us declaring that "the people" means only corporations and so presto chango only corporations have bill of right protections and not individuals.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:16:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Derp.
View Quote

Moby.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:20:43 PM EDT
[#4]
You do realize being a Conscientious objector is simply boiled down to "This conflicts with my religion, I'm not doing it, I'm going home"

She is free to resign from her position at ANY time.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:34:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You do realize being a Conscientious objector is simply boiled down to "This conflicts with my religion, I'm not doing it, I'm going home"

View Quote

The DoD classifies levels of conscientious objectors and they must provide a non-combatant role for the qualified objector.  Therefore the military member does not quit and the military must provide a continuing position for that member.  

The county could have also fired her and then the contempt charge will more than likely be held void.  Why is it the county doesn't just fire her?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:49:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The DoD classifies levels of conscientious objectors and they must provide a non-combatant role for the qualified objector.  Therefore the military member does not quit and the military must provide a continuing position for that member.  

The county could have also fired her and then the contempt charge will more than likely be held void.  Why is it the county doesn't just fire her?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

county clerk is usually an ELECTED position. elected officials can not be fired
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:51:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The county clerk is using civil disobedience as a political weapon.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:29:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

She claims it is a religious battle and not political.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:34:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Tell that to Desmond Doss.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:35:59 AM EDT
[#10]

You guys are getting a lot of mileage out of this crackpot democrat.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:37:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's correct and Kentucky doesn't allow the recall of the county clerk according to the Boston Globe.  She can be impeached though.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:40:45 AM EDT
[#12]
As mentioned above, she's an elected official. I'm guessing there's no groundswell of support to have her recalled or impeached.

Personally I think she should resign. But I understand her position. She seems to see herself as a martyr and perhaps she is.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:55:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Derp.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:56:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Conscientious Objection is valid during periods of conscription.

In an all volunteer force, they have no place.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:01:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's correct and Kentucky doesn't allow the recall of the county clerk according to the Boston Globe.  She can be impeached though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I support her!

The Supreme Court vastly over reached their bounds with the gay marriage ruling. Marriage is a states rights issue, and the Mormon's in Utah if the state allows, should be free to have polygamous marriages, and I can't care less.

Pretty sure the Constitution and Bill of Rights are cut and dry in what they allow. Everything else is a state's rights issue. Kentucky has never made a law allowing gay marriage, and I support their right as a state to do so.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:12:57 AM EDT
[#16]
I support her right to resign her elected position in protest.  I support the people who elected her recalling her for failure to perform her job.  I also support the court locking her fat ass up until she either agrees to do her job, or her term is up.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:21:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Sorry but IMHO I have to agree with her on this.
JUST my opinion though nothing more.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:23:12 AM EDT
[#18]
she's nuts...

If your religion or belief system prevents you from performing the duties of a job you were hired or elected to do, than  you should find another job..end of story.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:24:29 AM EDT
[#19]
How about we get rid of the draft because it's unconstitutional?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:27:14 AM EDT
[#20]
She works for the government, she represents and serves everyone equally.

She is violating the First Amendment rights of gays.

If she doesn't like it, she can quit.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:30:19 AM EDT
[#21]
When it comes right down to it, I can't see this as a religious issue. No one ordered her to marry anyone. She only is required to provide a legal document once certain requirements are met. If they were forcing her, or anyone else, to PERFORM marriages against their religious beliefs, then I would have a major issue with that.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:35:42 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

she's nuts...

If your religion or belief system prevents you from performing the duties of a job you were hired or elected to do, than  you should find another job..end of story.

View Quote
at a target in Minnesota I had to wait for a manager to come over to the register because the Muslim would not ring up my bacon the interesting thing here is that the Muslim knew she might come in contact with pork but the rules changed with this woman

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:40:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
As mentioned above, she's an elected official. I'm guessing there's no groundswell of support to have her recalled or impeached.

Personally I think she should resign. But I understand her position. She seems to see herself as a martyr and perhaps she is.
View Quote

If I have this straight, all things being equal:

She can leave jail when she signs her ticket to eternal damnation?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:42:45 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

There is no law passed by the federal congress changing the definition of marriage. Neither was a law passed by the state of KY to change the definition.

All we got ("all"...) was a supreme court case that determined that the 14th amendment - beyond all probability, was really all along about allowing future generations to change the definition of "marriage" to suit their fluid, changing understanding of the same term....the 10th amendment notwithstanding.

But the clerk swore an oath to uphold the constitution of the US and KY before this SCOTUS case was conjured out of whole cloth. Changing the terms and definition and meaning of a Constitutional amendment beyond anything the drafters and voters of that amendment would have wanted, cannot stand.

So her invoking religion notwithstanding, her case is actually stronger from a strictly legal basis. How can any court ex post facto change the terms of a contract like this?

It would be like us declaring that "the people" means only corporations and so presto chango only corporations have bill of right protections and not individuals.
View Quote
Except her right to freedom or religion and belief doesn't bleed over into her job.

If she objects that gay people shouldn't be married then she csn quit any time she feels like it.

She swore to uphold the Constitution... she isn't doing that by Proselytizing her beliefs onto others through a public office.

Government has no right to ban one from accessing services to one group of people versus another. That is what she's doing.

No different than me telling a Gay Jewish Black Dude "Sorry but I'm not taking your burglary report. Your kind conflicts wih my religious views."

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:43:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She could resign.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:44:27 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

She can't Proselytize from her position of authority. She wants to do it off hours... fine. But she's doing it on duty and that is a no go with the 1st Amendment.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:48:04 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote
Holy shit, the reaching some people do on here to defend the derp is just crazy.  

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:48:12 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

at a target in Minnesota I had to wait for a manager to come over to the register because the Muslim would not ring up my bacon the interesting thing here is that the Muslim knew she might come in contact with pork but the rules changed with this woman  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

she's nuts...

Target is a private business. This women holds public office. 1st Amendment is pretty clear on separation of church and state. She is Proselytizing from her elected office. That is a no go.... Target employee wants to do it? It is up to Target management to fire her.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:49:06 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Couldn't she just resign?  Since she doesn't want to put her name on a same sex marriage that seems like a good way for her not to have to?  

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:50:16 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

she's nuts...

Wow, when Target is part of the government then you might have something to actually be mad about....

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:50:41 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

She can't Proselytize from her position of authority. She wants to do it off hours... fine. But she's doing it on duty and that is a no go with the 1st Amendment.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Originally Posted By WI_Rifleman

It happens often Should this judge be jailed?  http://abcnews.go.com/US/gay-texas-judge-refuses-perform-marriage-ceremonies/story?id=15784189

Or refusing CCW permits or CLEO NFA permits odd how this seems to be the first time that an official is held to the letter of the law

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:51:32 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I support her!

The Supreme Court vastly over reached their bounds with the gay marriage ruling. Marriage is a states rights issue, and the Mormon's in Utah if the state allows, should be free to have polygamous marriages, and I can't care less.

Pretty sure the Constitution and Bill of Rights are cut and dry in what they allow. Everything else is a state's rights issue. Kentucky has never made a law allowing gay marriage, and I support their right as a state to do so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I support her!

So if the state of Utah passed a state law saying a white woman can't get married to a black man, that's cool?

Let's try this one.  Alabama state law says blacks can't go to white schools.  The Supreme Court says that's unconstitutional, a violation of the black student's civil rights.  The state of Alabama continues to insist that it's a state's rights issue, and that's the law as it stands in the state.  Going to a particular school is not mentioned in the Constitution or the Bill of Rights,hell the black students aren't even being denied an education or governmental service, Alabama has schools set aside for blacks, they just can't go to one set aside for whites.  Do you support the right of the state of Alabama to deny black students entrance into the University of Alabama?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:52:20 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Wow, when Target is part of the government then you might have something to actually be mad about....  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

she's nuts...

Weird I thought hired was bolded

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:52:31 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

It happens often Should this judge be jailed?  http://abcnews.go.com/US/gay-texas-judge-refuses-perform-marriage-ceremonies/story?id=15784189  

Or refusing CCW permits or CLEO NFA permits odd how this seems to be the first time that an official is held to the letter of the law

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CCW permits are not considered a civil right.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:52:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

She could resign.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

She could resign.

Yep - I missed that angle.

That is the best way - the whole thing just disappears. She is good, the county is good, the gays are good, etc...

How long, in lock-up, do you think it will take? I'm thinking Monday Tuesday.

Edit for holiday weekend.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:53:45 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

she's nuts...

Target, as her employer, has elected to make accommodations for her, something a government employee can not do when it comes to performing a vital civil function.  

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:56:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
she's nuts...

doesn't matter to me..private or .gov/

don't want to do some aspect of that job?  find another job.  I'd fire her...
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:00:14 AM EDT
[#38]
If she can't do her job, she needs to find a new one. Otherwise, she is just milking the county for a paycheck..
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:02:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
she's nuts...

View Quote

The "duties" changed (were imposed) AFTER she was elected.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:04:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

She's an elected agent of a State government.

The Supremes changed the playing field by fiat not the will of the people.
This is the fallout when extra Constitutional measures are embarked upon.
The Supremes overstepped their authority.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:06:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would you say the same if a pacifist refused to issue a CCW license or sign NFA forms?

You must disagree with Heller then. The "People" banned guns in Washington DC, how dare "The Supremes" overturn that?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:09:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
she's nuts...

Tough shit. Resign.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:10:41 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

How so?  This is clearly within the authority of the Court.  The state of Kentucky can not deny basic privileges, immunities or equal protection of the laws of it's citizens.  

When the Court struck down Virginia's anti-miscegenation law in the 1960s, was that the Court overstepping it's authority?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:10:53 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are they doing it for religious reasons? Are they Proselytizing from the bench?

That judge in Texas said she wouldn't marrying anyone because she can't marry a woman. She didn't say because God told her so. The folks refusing to issue CCWs are on a different level all together. They aren't doing anything wrong because it is a May Issue Permit where tbis usually occurs. The laws are writte that way and they aren't refusing to issue permits due to religious reasons either.

Both of those cases aren't 1st Amendment violations.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:12:53 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

That judge in Texas said she wouldn't marrying anyone because she can't marry a woman. She didn't say because God told her so. The folks refusing to issue CCWs are on a different level all together. They aren't doing anything wrong because it is a May Issue Permit where tbis usually occurs. The laws are writte that way and they aren't refusing to issue permits due to religious reasons either.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The only way refusing to issue CCW permits would be a violation of a citizen's civil rights is if they were denied a CCW permit simply because they were black, or a woman, etc etc.  

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:16:45 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

she's nuts...

Her "duties" have remained the same.  She was elected to issue marriage licenses to the citizens of Kentucky, and one of the duties of her office is not to deny basic rights to any citizen of the United States.  She's always been tasked with that duty from the moment she took office.  

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:16:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:The only way refusing to issue CCW permits would be a violation of a citizen's civil rights is if they were denied a CCW permit simply because they were black, or a woman, etc etc.    
View Quote

Suppose a buddhist (and elected official) believes in nonviolence, and he believes signing his name on the CCW license approval form violates this belief. Is he wrong to refuse the license in a shall issue state?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:17:30 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

she's nuts...

And so what?

In 1967, SCOTUS ruled in Loving v. Virginia that laws banning mixed marriages were unconstitutional. Clerks of the Court, etc... had to follow that. Laws change all the time. You can be sworn in for a four year term and in your second year the legislature passes a law that changes some aspect of what your duties are. Happens all the time.

Your job is to issue marriage licenses if the persons meets the requirements. The requirements changed. Issue he fucking license or resign from office.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:19:02 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Suppose a buddhist (and elected official) believes in nonviolence, and he believes signing his name on the CCW license approval form violates this belief. Is he wrong to refuse the license in a shall issue state?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:The only way refusing to issue CCW permits would be a violation of a citizen's civil rights is if they were denied a CCW permit simply because they were black, or a woman, etc etc.    

Yes.  The elected official is denying me, a person within their jurisdiction, equal protection of the law.  

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:19:16 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Did they overstep their authority in 1967 when SCOTUS ruled in Loving v. Virginia that laws banning mixed marriages were unconstitutional?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top