Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:53:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Here is a screenshot of the national debt clock from this morning:

Take a look at the areas outlined in red. Do any of you have that kind of money to satisfy the debts our fearless public leaders have racked up on our behalf? Every taxpayer in this country owes in the neighborhood of $1,000,000.00. This doesn't even include the State and local debt that everyone owes also.

Take a look at this and your states debts: US Debt Clock

There is not a chance in hell of ever paying any of this back.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:57:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm sitting on a pretty nice government pension, and it sucks.

You know why?  Because it is hitting home its not my money.  Its the governments'.  You know what happens when I die?  Thats it, money is gone.  Nothing for my family.  Thanks for playing.

With investments I own that money.  I can give it to my wife.  To my kids.  I can do anything with it.  Its my fucking money.  BUt a pension?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You know why?  Because it is hitting home its not my money.  Its the governments'.  You know what happens when I die?  Thats it, money is gone.  Nothing for my family.  Thanks for playing.

With investments I own that money.  I can give it to my wife.  To my kids.  I can do anything with it.  Its my fucking money.  BUt a pension?

If you want to leave something for your wife and kids then have life insurance
Seriously, do all of you guys with crappy 401ks actually think you'll have anything left after 20 years of retirement to leave to your family?
Your money will be gone and you'll be down to eating cat food and drawing welfare

Quoted:
Here is a screenshot of the national debt clock from this morning:

<a href="http://s1315.photobucket.com/user/cjt1972b/media/Debt%20clock%20at%200735%20on%2009042015_zps37or4tks.png.html" target="_blank">http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/t589/cjt1972b/Debt%20clock%20at%200735%20on%2009042015_zps37or4tks.png</a>

Take a look at the areas outlined in red. Do any of you have that kind of money to satisfy the debts our fearless public leaders have racked up on our behalf? Every taxpayer in this country owes in the neighborhood of $1,000,000.00. This doesn't even include the State and local debt that everyone owes also.

Take a look at this and your states debts: US Debt Clock

There is not a chance in hell of ever paying any of this back.

Because the national debt has everything to do with how a pension plan is operated........nope.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:07:03 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

If the plans are run well there is no fiction. NYs is among the best, it can be done if the plan is run properly

It is too bad that other places have mangled their  systems, but the common denominator seems to have been that the employees paid their portion but the employers granted themselves a pension holiday.

I don't trust any of the anti-pension posters who bleat that "it can't be done".

All they're trying to do is cut government in the wrong places
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Your "accrual" is paper fiction.  The money you think is owed to you prob doesn't even exist.  States "figure it out" by hiking taxes when the payout exceeds funds, a phenomenon which is becoming increasingly common.  Further, pensions are supposed to be funded via a managed portfolio anyway, so the difference with "defined benefits" is that tax payers' are forced to bail out the (inevitable) accounting shortfall.

Pensions are a phony no-risk promise, which is a lie.  Risk is unavoidable.

If the plans are run well there is no fiction. NYs is among the best, it can be done if the plan is run properly

It is too bad that other places have mangled their  systems, but the common denominator seems to have been that the employees paid their portion but the employers granted themselves a pension holiday.

I don't trust any of the anti-pension posters who bleat that "it can't be done".

All they're trying to do is cut government in the wrong places

Nope, it's just math.

The retiree pool will grow faster than the worker pool and retirees will continue to live longer and longer.

It's really not even hard math.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:18:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Seriously, do all of you guys with crappy 401ks actually think you'll have anything left after 20 years of retirement to leave to your family?
Your money will be gone and you'll be down to eating cat food and drawing welfare
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

god, the same fucking thing from every progressive since karl marx.

"without the government, you'll be eating cat food and drawing welfare"

some people will.  You know why?  because they are stupid and blew every fucking dime and never bothered with a family.

You let me keep my social security, my medicare, my medicade taxes and don't tax my fucking retirement?

I'd be fucking rich.  I could live off my interest alone.

stupid people should suffer.

It keeps the stupid population under control.

without the government subsidizing stupidity, we would have a lot less of it.

government takes all your fucking money and then tells you, "without us you will starve"

well, without you I wouldn't be broke, would I?

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:22:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Used to live in the city and continue to work downtown. I will be sure to mention this to all my coworkers who look down upon anyone who decided to move to the burbs. They simply can't comprehend living anywhere but the N Side of Chicago while touting all the benefits the city has to offer.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:23:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Your taxes are $13,500 a year? ETA: To clarify, I know someone who pays about $4,500 a year in Cook (not Chicago) for a small one floor home with a tiny yard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's about time. Currently, the multiplier used to calculate property values for tax purposes in Chicago is a third what it is downstate. So taxes on a home outside of Cook county are triple what someone in Cook pays. We downstaters have been bitching about this for years. I really have zero sympathy for them. I hope it goes though.

Your taxes are $13,500 a year? ETA: To clarify, I know someone who pays about $4,500 a year in Cook (not Chicago) for a small one floor home with a tiny yard.

Sounds about right.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:25:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Trust me, I am not planning on having my pension there when I retire, I view it as a nice to have when it comes to my retirement.

That said in my FD we pay 7% of our salary into the pension system, and we don't collect SS. I will be mad as hell if I serve my community for 25 years and don't get the pension I was contractually promised and payed into. Just like I will be mad as hell if I don't get my .mil retirement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They promised the cops and firefighters pensions, if it wasn't fiscally responsible to so what they promised, the politicians shouldn't have agreed to it during contract time.

It's going to suck for property owners, but at least the politicians aren't bailing on the thousands of cops and firefighters who gave 25 plus years of their lives serving the residents.

Good. This is now a pension thread where firemen and policemen are more deserving human beings than other people who work for bankrupt entities.

So if the feds decide to default on military retirements because "we can't pay for it anymore", would you feel the same way?

If you're dumb enough to only have one retirement, you should be smart enough to church up cat food into a meal.

Chicago's bond rating is somewhere in the neighborhood of Mexico's, so people believing that they somehow have head of the line privileges at the empty though when the going gets tough is, in the words of the  great philosopher Jesus Quintana, "laughable."

The only people I'll feel less sympathy for than the rabbit-ear-pants retirees are the people who've bought property there in the last 20 years.

Trust me, I am not planning on having my pension there when I retire, I view it as a nice to have when it comes to my retirement.

That said in my FD we pay 7% of our salary into the pension system, and we don't collect SS. I will be mad as hell if I serve my community for 25 years and don't get the pension I was contractually promised and payed into. Just like I will be mad as hell if I don't get my .mil retirement.

Join the fucking club pal. I'll likely never see a dime of the money I paid in to social security my whole life. What's the difference?

And spare me the "I serve my community" nonsense. You worked and were compensated.  It's not like you donated your services. Part of that compensation is supposed to be a pension and you may well get fucked out of it. Which is complete bullshit. But at least you had a choice to trade your social security for a pension. I had no option but to get fucked over.

On top of that, you should have known better. Our governments can hardly administer an efficient DMV and your going to entrust them with the entirety of your post retirement income?  Given the well know, well established track record of complete failure of government to administer almost anything effectively you are going to trust them to take care of you financially, in perpetuity?  Lol

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:30:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

some people will.  You know why?  because they are stupid and blew every fucking dime and never bothered with a family.

You let me keep my social security, my medicare, my medicade taxes and don't tax my fucking retirement?

government takes all your fucking money and then tells you, "without us you will starve"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Highlighted for the Marxists who have problems understanding human nature.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:57:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's about time. Currently, the multiplier used to calculate property values for tax purposes in Chicago is a third what it is downstate. So taxes on a home outside of Cook county are triple what someone in Cook pays. We downstaters have been bitching about this for years. I really have zero sympathy for them. I hope it goes though.

Good lord. Those right there are examples of pure waste and retard. They need to lose both of those pensions.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:25:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Say hello to my little Detroit.
View Quote

Zimbabwe here we come!
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:32:11 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote

So they'll all just move to you or somewhere else. The citizens will not be held accountable for their decisions.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:45:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Feel free to give up that military benefits package. Or do you somehow feel more equal than others? Always makes me laugh when .mils complain about government, as if their money and benefits materialize out of unicorn farts and wishes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They promised the cops and firefighters pensions, if it wasn't fiscally responsible to so what they promised, the politicians shouldn't have agreed to it during contract time.

It's going to suck for property owners, but at least the politicians aren't bailing on the thousands of cops and firefighters who gave 25 plus years of their lives serving the residents.

Good. This is now a pension thread where firemen and policemen are more deserving human beings than other people who work for bankrupt entities.

Feel free to give up that military benefits package. Or do you somehow feel more equal than others? Always makes me laugh when .mils complain about government, as if their money and benefits materialize out of unicorn farts and wishes.

Yep
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 11:13:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Sounds about right.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds about right.

Not sure how it works in IL but the two states where I own houses the property tax is based of assessed value. So if I get this right the property tax rates for Cook county are very low, and the property values are high. The rest of the state the rates are much higher and the property value varies. Sounds like MI. I pay almost as much property tax for a 180K house in MI as I do for a 650K house in IN. Of course in MI I don't get the homestead exemption. I have noticed areas where the property value is low the rates are much higher. Places where the property value is high and the rate drops. "They" have to get the revenue one way or another. Think of how much tax a $15,000 home in Detroit would generate.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top