Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:55:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How many officers this year have gone to jail for exactly what you talk about?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
NYPD recently saw a 17.8% drop in applicants and another nearby department recently had a hiring exam and their number of applicants went down 37%.
The NYPD guy in the story obviously hasn't looked into the history of his department, it was way more dangerous in the past.

I think a lot of it also has to do with many of these departments paying crap. If you pay them, they will come.

Dangerous is one thing........the chance of being persecuted for a justified instance of defending yourself is another.

How many officers this year have gone to jail for exactly what you talk about?

That's what sways me away from. I'm not scared of the potential violence, after all I'm an arfcommer so of course I'm 6'4'', 280 ponds and a pro MMA fighter. Oh, and my wife is a super model.

It's getting thrown under the bus for the sake of PC that makes me say fuck that. If I WERE to become LEO, I would be extremely hesitant to use any kind of force on the job, and that's not really a conducive attitude for a Cop. You shouldn't have to worry about being hung out to dry because your department wants to avoid controversy.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:55:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I was referring to the non PD/FD/EMS people with degrees he was talking about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Now, I can see your point if somebody goes around bitching about what they get paid, then yeah, maybe you should choose a different career. But to say that everybody in PD/FD/EMS made a poor choice is pretty fucking insulting.

I was referring to the non PD/FD/EMS people with degrees he was talking about.

Sorry, it came off differently .
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:04:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Do TSA get guns?
View Quote
They do have people in 1811 positions that are criminal investigators who are authorized to carry.  Air Marshals are also part of TSA.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:05:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This guy obviously doesn't get it.

First of all, you allude to the fact that a college degree actually means something. Yet you also point out that people with college degrees work in fast food and retail.
Secondly, you assume that people who work in public service are idiots and should be paid accordingly.
In some cases you are right, but only because low wages attract undesirable people. If someone is intelligent, carries himself with pride and dignity, and acts professionally; the odds are they arn't going to take a job at near minimum wage.  

I chime into these threads as a former public employee who wasn't a cop but I do understand some of the issues involved.

As has been mentioned numerous times, if you want intelligent, dedicated, professionals, you need to pay them accordingly. If you pay someone McDonalds wages, you are going to get employees who should be working at McDonalds. I was a firefighter and thankfully I worked for a department that paid very well. As a result, we had a majority of people who had college degrees. Way back when I got hired (I am now retired) over half our academy had college degrees. The guy who sat beside me in the academy quit his job as a mechanical engineer to be a firefighter. We had another guy in my academy who had a degree in marine biology just as two examples. At the station I retired from, we had six guys. Three had college degrees, one had a masters. There were probably a couple dozen guys that had post graduate degrees on the department; most of them working in regular suppression positions; because that is what they wanted to do. Not because they couldn't do better but they were making enough to live a decent life style and still were doing what they enjoyed doing as a profession. Hell, I out ranked the guy at my station with the masters degree. He has never even taken a promotional test: he doesn't want to.

They took this job because it paid well: they didn't do it strictly for the money, they wanted to do this to begin with and were able to do it because it paid well.

Whether we are talking about cops, firefighters, or EMS; do you really want some moron in command of life or death situations ?  Making poorly thought out decisions ?  Exposing the tax payer to lawsuits ? Causing unnessessary suffering and property loss ? So that forums like this can spend all day bashing them ? You reap what you sow.

Where I work now as a medic, the pay is shit. The benefits are shit. And, I hate to say this, but the people I work with wouldn't even get a glance where I retired from. I am sure that most of them are on food stamps and all that. Bad credit. Illegitimate kids. Driving hooptie cars.............................. So why do I do it ? Because a couple grand a month is a nice kicker to my pension
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Many have spent considerable money and have college degrees and still don't make 56K a year and never will…….

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v361/Extorris/Pics/knight.jpg

You left out the part ". unless they further their education and/or change jobs/careers."

Do you know how many college graduates with shit degrees are working at McDonalds, selling shoes, working as a laborer in a factory, etc?

I know good nurses, lab techs, etc. that don't make 56K a year and last time I checked, they have college degrees.

Just say'in, if all you have is a HS degree, don't bitch at 56K a year…… AND, if you need or want more money, this is still AMERICA…… get off your ass and do something about it.

This guy obviously doesn't get it.

First of all, you allude to the fact that a college degree actually means something. Yet you also point out that people with college degrees work in fast food and retail.
Secondly, you assume that people who work in public service are idiots and should be paid accordingly.
In some cases you are right, but only because low wages attract undesirable people. If someone is intelligent, carries himself with pride and dignity, and acts professionally; the odds are they arn't going to take a job at near minimum wage.  

I chime into these threads as a former public employee who wasn't a cop but I do understand some of the issues involved.

As has been mentioned numerous times, if you want intelligent, dedicated, professionals, you need to pay them accordingly. If you pay someone McDonalds wages, you are going to get employees who should be working at McDonalds. I was a firefighter and thankfully I worked for a department that paid very well. As a result, we had a majority of people who had college degrees. Way back when I got hired (I am now retired) over half our academy had college degrees. The guy who sat beside me in the academy quit his job as a mechanical engineer to be a firefighter. We had another guy in my academy who had a degree in marine biology just as two examples. At the station I retired from, we had six guys. Three had college degrees, one had a masters. There were probably a couple dozen guys that had post graduate degrees on the department; most of them working in regular suppression positions; because that is what they wanted to do. Not because they couldn't do better but they were making enough to live a decent life style and still were doing what they enjoyed doing as a profession. Hell, I out ranked the guy at my station with the masters degree. He has never even taken a promotional test: he doesn't want to.

They took this job because it paid well: they didn't do it strictly for the money, they wanted to do this to begin with and were able to do it because it paid well.

Whether we are talking about cops, firefighters, or EMS; do you really want some moron in command of life or death situations ?  Making poorly thought out decisions ?  Exposing the tax payer to lawsuits ? Causing unnessessary suffering and property loss ? So that forums like this can spend all day bashing them ? You reap what you sow.

Where I work now as a medic, the pay is shit. The benefits are shit. And, I hate to say this, but the people I work with wouldn't even get a glance where I retired from. I am sure that most of them are on food stamps and all that. Bad credit. Illegitimate kids. Driving hooptie cars.............................. So why do I do it ? Because a couple grand a month is a nice kicker to my pension

I am an AEMT at a very rural County based service. I make $11 an hour and I work a minimum of 48 hours per week, sometimes a little more. In this part of the country you can live on those wages but it's still not alot. Everybody at my service except me has at least one part time job. Attracting quality people at those wages is pretty hard, especially out here but it's actually one of the best paying services in the State. Plus, we don't pay anything for our healthcare except deductibles and co-pays, the County pays the premiums, so that helps quite a bit.

Luckily, we have some dedicated, intelligent folks who WANT to do EMS. I have a Military retirement check that helps make ends meet so I'm lucky. I don't know how my co-workers do it.

Our local FD starts at $9.35 an hour and they wonder why they are at 50% staffing.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:08:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh, and the local PD/Sherrifs Office where I work is completely staffed by morons. Like seriously not smart guys at all. There is even one deputy that is still working Patrol at 61 years old. Nice guy but he'd be worthless in a fight.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:09:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

They do have people in 1811 positions that are criminal investigators who are authorized to carry.  Air Marshals are also part of TSA.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Do TSA get guns?
Here you go...

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:16:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You left out the part ". unless they further their education and/or change jobs/careers."

Do you know how many college graduates with shit degrees are working at McDonalds, selling shoes, working as a laborer in a factory, etc?

I know good nurses, lab techs, etc. that don't make 56K a year and last time I checked, they have college degrees.

Just say'in, if all you have is a HS degree, don't bitch at 56K a year…… AND, if you need or want more money, this is still AMERICA…… get off your ass and do something about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Many have spent considerable money and have college degrees and still don't make 56K a year and never will…….

No degree and I make $84k a year and $36k a year when I retire.

Free

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:20:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Your qualified, motivated?

Come out west young man (or girl). I have not made less than 100K in the last 10 years or more, the weather is mild, the people are nice and unions still have enough juice to keep you from getting too badly railroaded.

Seriously, the people are nice here. I have had more random people come up and thank me, and express dismay over the current climate than did after 9/11.

I'm coming up on 24 year in and don't plan an exit for several more at least.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:21:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Even adjusted for cost of living difference my local cops here would need a 60% raise to be on par with what I made in NY and my department was the lowest paid in the area.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Many departments in the south literally pay poverty wages.

Even adjusted for cost of living difference my local cops here would need a 60% raise to be on par with what I made in NY and my department was the lowest paid in the area.

I've been at my dept for 11 years. I make 14.62 An hour. Its on me because I left a bigger dept. There I would be making two whole dollars more an hour.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:22:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Not in Minnesota. It is the hardest state to get a law enforcement job in. The ratio is usually 100 applicants per one job. I have seen it as high as 400 applicants for one job in some suburban departments. It took my coworkers nephew eight years to get hired. You pretty much need to have a bachelors degree and know somebody, or be from another country to get hired here.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:25:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I know of a few people looking to get out / changing their mind about even getting in.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:30:01 PM EDT
[#12]
If they were to pass the 15 dollar an hour minimum wage, I would get almost a 40 cent an hour raise.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:31:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

If anything this will hopefully filter out the useless ones that you can't count on for help when you need it.
View Quote

Ha!  Just the opposite!  The good cops, you know the ones who have brains and know how to write, will explore other venues of employment.  What we're going to get stuck with is even more window lickers who can't get jobs elsewhere.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:34:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Is it me but I feel like the days of anarchy are coming
View Quote

Coming?  Are already here in some places.  And its amazing how many higher-ups have no idea.  Those of us proles still working the street have no doubts.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:40:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Meh, half of American Citizens that work make less than 56K a year……. some WAY less. Some in dangerous or life shortening jobs too.

They don't get pensions, have a union to protect them when they fuck up, don't receive any "perks", etc.

Many have spent considerable money and have college degrees and still don't make 56K a year and never will……. unless they further their education and/or change jobs/careers.

56K a year is over $25.00 per hour and is above the average income for an American worker.

I don't know what the education requirements are for the dept you mentioned back home.  If it is a HS diploma only, 56K is REALLY good money for someone who does not have any kind of college degree.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Many departments in the south literally pay poverty wages.  You can work full time and still be eligible for food stamps.

Plus salary caps.  How would you like to know that at no point in a lifetime of work, could you make more than 56k a year...that's the cap at a local dept back home.  Standard pay is 28-36k a year.  

No way...no how.  Not for double that.

Meh, half of American Citizens that work make less than 56K a year……. some WAY less. Some in dangerous or life shortening jobs too.

They don't get pensions, have a union to protect them when they fuck up, don't receive any "perks", etc.

Many have spent considerable money and have college degrees and still don't make 56K a year and never will……. unless they further their education and/or change jobs/careers.

56K a year is over $25.00 per hour and is above the average income for an American worker.

I don't know what the education requirements are for the dept you mentioned back home.  If it is a HS diploma only, 56K is REALLY good money for someone who does not have any kind of college degree.

That's nothing.  Wait until they start bringing in Pakistanis and Indians on N1 visas to fill the void.  They'll only be paying those guys $5.00/hour and no benefits.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:44:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That's nothing.  Wait until they start bringing in Pakistanis and Indians on N1 visas to fill the void.  They'll only be paying those guys $5.00/hour and no benefits.
View Quote

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1731000_Nashville_PD_struggling_to_fill_their_ranks_is_pushing_the_state_to_allow_them_to_hire_non_citizens
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:44:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I feel obligated to contribute now so I found this:http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2015/08/detroit_police_applicant_frust.html

"Detroit is one of few cities that has its own police academy and begins paying recruits the second they begin the 24-week training".

"Of 2,462 applications received by the Detroit Police Department in 2014, only 131 were hired."

"Mark Diaz, who heads the Detroit patrol officers' union, says the department has a difficult time competing for quality officers due to its low pay and the level of danger."

And this:http://www.criminaljusticedegreeschools.com/criminal-justice-resources

"Officers with the Detroit Police Department start out with a base salary of $30,137-$32,613. The salary varies depending on education and previous experience. After completing the 19-week basic training course, all officers receive a $1,000 pay increase. After five years the base salary can reach as high as $53,237. There is an opportunity for additional earnings, such as longevity pay, shift differential (for afternoon and midnight shifts), off-duty court appearances, and overtime. The current outlook for jobs with the Detroit Police Department is poor, due to the depressed economic environment."

They're broke...say they are going to hire 300....haven't. No lack of applicants here.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:50:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I feel obligated to contribute now so I found this:http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2015/08/detroit_police_applicant_frust.html

"Detroit is one of few cities that has its own police academy and begins paying recruits the second they begin the 24-week training".

"Of 2,462 applications received by the Detroit Police Department in 2014, only 131 were hired."

"Mark Diaz, who heads the Detroit patrol officers' union, says the department has a difficult time competing for quality officers due to its low pay and the level of danger."

"Officers with the Detroit Police Department start out with a base salary of $30,137-$32,613. The salary varies depending on education and previous experience. After completing the 19-week basic training course, all officers receive a $1,000 pay increase. After five years the base salary can reach as high as $53,237. There is an opportunity for additional earnings, such as longevity pay, shift differential (for afternoon and midnight shifts), off-duty court appearances, and overtime. The current outlook for jobs with the Detroit Police Department is poor, due to the depressed economic environment."

They're broke...say they are going to hire 300....haven't. No lack of applicants here.
View Quote

Here we're so desperate that the city offers $500 on hire, and $500 upon finishing field training, to any officer who entices someone to join up, with no limit.  Meaning that if I get ten people to apply, and all ten get hired and pass FTO, I get $10,000.

Not one single person has been hired under this.

Apparently, cold and cynical as we can be in our profession, none of us is cruel enough to try to recruit any poor dumb bastards to join.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:55:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Wow! What does the good sheriff mean by "its time for good Americans to rise up" Pretty sure I would get my ass shot if I rose up.
View Quote

He would probably be the one shooting your ass.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:59:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Here we're so desperate that the city offers $500 on hire, and $500 upon finishing field training, to any officer who entices someone to join up, with no limit.  Meaning that if I get ten people to apply, and all ten get hired and pass FTO, I get $10,000.

Apparently, cold and cynical as we can be in our profession, none of us is cruel enough to try to recruit any poor dumb bastards to join.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now I have to scan 4 pages for your posts to find out why.
I didn't post everything I read about Detroit. There was a lot of discrepancies.
Some of it may have to do with the mayor pressuring police to live in the city.
No one wants to live in the D.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:01:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
NYPD recently saw a 17.8% drop in applicants and another nearby department recently had a hiring exam and their number of applicants went down 37%.
The NYPD guy in the story obviously hasn't looked into the history of his department, it was way more dangerous in the past.

I think a lot of it also has to do with many of these departments paying crap. If you pay them, they will come.
View Quote

Like contractors in Iraq?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:04:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Many departments in the south literally pay poverty wages.  You can work full time and still be eligible for food stamps.

Plus salary caps.  How would you like to know that at no point in a lifetime of work, could you make more than 56k a year...that's the cap at a local dept back home.  Standard pay is 28-36k a year.  

That's when I'll join the haters and not give a fuck when one of those cops is shot.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:35:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I was making $25hr, $52,000yr base salary when I retired from TCSO almost 16 years ago. Same job (corrections Sgt) now is about $72,000.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:15:08 AM EDT
[#24]
I'll give some info from area.  First, you put yourself through the academy, then after the academy you have to pass the state exam and get your certification.  Then you will be able to apply at local agencies.   Starting pay is about 33k a year or less as you go to the smaller departments.  That 33k is in the same area as a state law enforcement position with the Highway Patrol or Fish and Wildlife Commission.  They will put you through the academy though, but you will attend in Tallahassee and you may not have a choice where your assigned after graduation.  Very large cities and the related counties will hire you and put you through the academy, but a lot of agencies won't hire you without your certification.  You will complete a 4 month Field Training program and have to successfully pass testing in FTO and an Oral review board to be placed on "single unit status".   You will be on probation for 1 year (used to be 18 months).  

My area, none of the local agencies are union/collective bargaining.      

I have 20 years with my agency, a supervisor and make $23 and some change an hour.  Where I work, we are actually salary and sign an acknowledgement when we are hired that we will receive comp time in lieu of paid over time.

All that said, I knew what I was getting into when I applied.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:43:57 AM EDT
[#25]
The solution is simple.

End the war on drugs. Change minor vehicle violations like seatbelts, window tint, loud music, texting, taillight out, etc so that you can't be pulled over, only as an add on charge if you are actually involved in an accident. Basically reduce the petty little bullshit reasons people end up interacting with cops in the first place. Get rid of forfeiture and ticket quotas to further reduce police interactions with the people.

With so many laws a person could conceivably run afoul of it is no wonder the contempt for the law ends up morphing into contempt for law enforcement.

People want police to do what they see on TV. Catch murderers and rapists. Not ticket them for parking violations or speeding.

The thing is, MOST people speed occasionally. And MOST people want speedingto be a crime as well. It's just human nature to want everyone else to have to be careful, and to be able to speed when it is convenient for oneself. Same goes for all the other little bullshit laws.

I am positive if the law itself wasn't so petty and contemptible, people would have a lot more respect for those tasked with enforcing it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:48:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The solution is simple.

End the war on drugs. Change minor vehicle violations like seatbelts, window tint, loud music, texting, taillight out, etc so that you can't be pulled over, only as an add on charge if you are actually involved in an accident. Basically reduce the petty little bullshit reasons people end up interacting with cops in the first place. Get rid of forfeiture and ticket quotas to further reduce police interactions with the people.

With so many laws a person could conceivably run afoul of it is no wonder the contempt for the law ends up morphing into contempt for law enforcement.

People want police to do what they see on TV. Catch murderers and rapists. Not ticket them for parking violations or speeding.

The thing is, MOST people speed occasionally. And MOST people want speedingto be a crime as well. It's just human nature to want everyone else to have to be careful, and to be able to speed when it is convenient for oneself. Same goes for all the other little bullshit laws.

I am positive if the law itself wasn't so petty and contemptible, people would have a lot more respect for those tasked with enforcing it.
View Quote

Cops catch murderers and rapists?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:55:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It's voluntary, -nobody is forcing them to choose that line of work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
  Florida Highway Patrol pays their guys at $31K..... $37K in Miami. Miami, a town where a one bedroom apartment costs $1,300 a month in rent alone. Hell, in North Florida some of the cities pay their guys $26K a year.

It's voluntary, -nobody is forcing them to choose that line of work.

So what?  What is your point?

Describe the endstate you desire?  Quality, capable police?  Able to read/write?  Able to comprehend the law and apply it under stress?

What quality of employees do you think you will get for that money?  How well do you think they will perform?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:59:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The "half of americans work for X" stats are BS as many Americans intentionally work short term min wage jobs or only work a few weeks just so they can claim EITC and similar.  

Do you want professional LEOs or burger flippers with badges?  How do you think the second option will end?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 2:36:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Time to put active duty troops in line of duty. Screw the Posse Comitatus Act and let us protect those who protect us.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 2:50:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Will the police still vote D for that union cash money?
View Quote

You're not smart.  Maybe you're just ignorant.  Where did you get the idea the police vote Democrat?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:44:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Time to put active duty troops in line of duty. Screw the Posse Comitatus Act and let us protect those who protect us.

View Quote
You can call in artillery and air assets. Military service is for defense of our nation and to wage war outside of it. Law enforcement is not the same
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:52:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Not all LE is Union. A good chunk in Florida are "At Will" aand can be fired anytime. Especially with the Sheriff agencies, when Bubba is elected into office and Billy Bob leaves. Bubba usually fires everyone and brings his folks on board.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Not all LE is Union. A good chunk in Florida are "At Will" aand can be fired anytime. Especially with the Sheriff agencies, when Bubba is elected into office and Billy Bob leaves. Bubba usually fires everyone and brings his folks on board.    

That aspect needs to go away
LE is not a patronage job and treating it as one only diminishes the professionalism of any agency

Quoted:
If the Fed "Nationalize" LE across the board.... it is going to be interesting. Pay for one thing.  

When they created TSA they didn't pay them extremely well
Most of the local TSA people are working there while drawing military pensions or just starting out in their working careers and stepping on up to other stuff when an opening appears
I'm guessing the pattern would repeat itself with a national police force
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:55:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

That first link you posted, the stupid bitch is complaining that Detroit won't give her an answer/ hire her.  Says she possesses special "skills".  So please tell me, is one of those "skills" giving an anonymous interview to mlive talking shit about the dept you are seeking employment with?  No wonder she hasn't gotten hired.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:09:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You can call in artillery and air assets. Military service is for defense of our nation and to wage war outside of it. Law enforcement is not the same
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You've obviously never been to LA, Oakland, Memphis, Detroit, Flint, Baltimore.  You might change your mind about calling in arty, except Detroit, that would just be a waste of arty.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:12:26 AM EDT
[#35]
It was and still probably is hard as hell to get a cop job in Lincoln, Nebraska when I applied. They were really only interested in people who'd already gone through the state law enforcement academy.  We're talking hundreds of applicants for just a few jobs annually.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:16:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It was and still probably is hard as hell to get a cop job in Lincoln, Nebraska when I applied. They were really only interested in people who'd already gone through the state law enforcement academy.  We're talking hundreds of applicants for just a few jobs annually.
View Quote

Having some one already certified saves an agency a ton of money and they're able to put that person on the street much sooner
It's pretty much the same way around here.
Agencies in general aren't willing to put people through the academy unless that candidate checks a box for them. female, minority etc
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:21:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
And yet where I live it's hard as hell getting on the job.
View Quote

Same here.  The pay is good too, for the area.

Of course it also helps that the local junior college offers TEEX police academy as part of their criminal justice degree program.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:48:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Sounds like the beginning of a good time.

Anyway, it appears that all this manufactured rage has created a deficit that can only be replenished by instituting a national police force. Big surprise right?
View Quote

If only there was a way we could seize the assets of "criminals" then we could put that towards salaries or something........

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:06:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Reading through an application for a Federal agency a couple of months back.  

Owe any back child support disqualifies you for consideration. Fucking reprobates.

Background checks eliminate a large number of applicants as well......bankruptcy, poor credit scores, even # of past leo contacts that you don't disclose will be cause for rejection.  

Did you get a parking ticket.....2 years ago and forget to disclose that on your application.......guess what-----see ya.

Our new open border policy will conveniently eliminate much of this because Honduras doesn't keep such records.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:08:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
"Brightly colored cars"? More like camouflaged. Sometimes you can't even read "POLICE" on the side unless you're at the right angle.
View Quote

Dude...what planet are you speaking from?  Try coming to Earth sometime.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:40:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Reminds me of our Narco guys.  Before I left they would come to rollcalls trying to recruit people into the unit because they were told they couldn't leave until they got someone to take their place. I remember when people used to line up for that unit, not anymore.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:43:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Cops catch murderers and rapists?
View Quote

Jon and Ponch used to work murder cases.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:45:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Reminds me of our Narco guys.  Before I left they would come to rollcalls trying to recruit people into the unit because they were told they couldn't leave until they got someone to take their place. I remember when people used to line up for that unit, not anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If that ain't a sure sign of a great place to work, I don't know what is.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:46:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

They used to look for laterals from out of state too. I remember seeing their ads in numerous police publications.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:02:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Hey guys, would you like an exciting assignment where you get to deal with TB and AIDS infected junkies and crackheads every night? Would you like to do prisoner transports every night? What if I told you there's a unit where you can have all that with the added bonus of constant civilian and IA complaints plus IA stings run on you often? If it sounds to good to be true then step on up friends and let me introduce you to the glamorous world of street narcotics work"
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:11:48 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Not in Minnesota. It is the hardest state to get a law enforcement job in. The ratio is usually 100 applicants per one job. I have seen it as high as 400 applicants for one job in some suburban departments. It took my coworkers nephew eight years to get hired. You pretty much need to have a bachelors degree and know somebody, or be from another country to get hired here.
View Quote
Miami FL is like another country. We speak a different language and everything!

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:15:04 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote
That a bullshit statement. Plenty of agencies all across the country have their own academies.

In my AO alone you have City of Miami, Miami-Dade PD, Florida Highway Patrol, and FLorida Wildlife Commission. They all run their own academies.

As for the rest of the snippet from the news. Yeah, that pretty much the norm right now.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:15:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Yup..... I'm seeing folks not wanting to put in for the job just like I don't see folks want to enlist into the Armed Forces. Sure, we still have folks enlisting but with all the bullshit in the military right now those numbers are going down. Especially with the draw down and the way the rank and file have been treated and all the blood and sweat shed overseas appears to be for nothing. Same is happening with LE right now. Not as many people want to wear the shield.

Rough times ahead folks.... get ready for crime to go up. On Duty LE will be less proactive and crime will go up and to further cause issues, when they retire their slots won't be refilled with new hires.
            [/div]
View Quote

There is only one reason I've never pursued LE as a career, and it's money.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:16:25 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

For $500 a hire.... I'll fucking convince folks I don't like and even their kids if I get a chance.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:16:47 AM EDT
[#50]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They don't even make $56K a year!!??
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top