BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:08:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Facebook or Craigslist cash first wins. Some people don't show up.

With that said I never back out once I tell someone it's theirs. Always state first to show with payment gets it.
View Quote

Cash and first to get it to me gets it.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:10:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Facebook or Craigslist cash first wins. Some people don't show up.

With that said I never back out once I tell someone it's theirs. Always state first to show with payment gets it.

That's no a bad way of doing business as long as the buyer knows that's the deal.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:11:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't believe this is even a question.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:12:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:17:21 PM EDT
[#5]
If you made a deal, you made a deal. If guy #1 doesn't show, he's a shitbag, but you can sell to guy #2. If you break your deal with guy #1, you're a shitbag.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:19:31 PM EDT
[#6]
The deal should't be made until the payment is received. Any deals made beforehand are foolish IMHO. Unfortunately these days people cant be trusted to pay up/pay on an agreed deal.

First to pay is first to win, this is why I prefer FTF sales. I try to avoid negotiating until both parties are even present FTF as well.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:21:42 PM EDT
[#7]
follow fucking thru! you made the $200 deal. Man the fuck up!
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:25:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Since you already made an agreement, you have to follow through.  Get the $250 guys contact info as a backup offer, if the $200 guy is a no show or requests delays, etc, then you can move on.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:29:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Tell the $250 guy that it is sold, don't tell him for how much, and tell him if guy #1 backs out, then it is his, for $250. You don't dump the guy you made a deal with, especially since you've set a time for transfer goods!
View Quote

This...
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:30:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Take the second offer's contact information and tell him that if the first guy backs out, it's his.
View Quote

This is what I would do.  Honor your end of the deal but keep the second offer in play in case the first one falls through.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:34:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm selling some stuff on Facebook. I made a deal with a guy, my plate carrier for $200. We're supposed to meet tomorrow.

Along comes guy #2 offering $250.

I'm leaning towards until my vest is in guy #1 hands and his money in mine, bidding is fair game. What do you think?
View Quote

you already made a deal. The right thing to do is keep that deal.

otherwise you are saying your word is shit, you are shit and you are a shitbird.

everyone take note.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:41:14 PM EDT
[#12]
What if the $200 guy meets with you and says, "mmm, looks like it has more wear than it thought it would.  Pass"  Is he welching?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:43:04 PM EDT
[#13]
No. Jeez.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:43:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What if the $200 guy meets with you and says, "mmm, looks like it has more wear than it thought it would.  Pass"  Is he welching?
View Quote

Now you've gone and done it
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:45:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Unless its not in the condition that you described yes.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:47:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Since you already made an agreement, you have to follow through.  Get the $250 guys contact info as a backup offer, if the $200 guy is a no show or requests delays, etc, then you can move on.
View Quote

This.

Too easy.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:47:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's about good faith and not being a shitweasel.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:50:25 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

Hate those things.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:51:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Of course not. If I have accepted #1's offer then he gets it for whatever we agreed on. Once the item has been sold to #1, #2 will be informed that the item has unfortunately sold already.

Now, if #1 backs out or fails to purchase the item for some reason (ends up not wanting it, etc) then I'll certainly sell it to #2.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:52:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm selling some stuff on Facebook. I made a deal with a guy, my plate carrier for $200. We're supposed to meet tomorrow.

I'm leaning towards until my vest is in guy #1 hands and his money in mine, bidding is fair game. What do you think?
View Quote

Mega dick move. Zero respect for people who do not honor their word.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:52:48 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote
BS

how much is your integrity worth to you?

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:56:27 PM EDT
[#22]
There are some real low lifes posting in this thread, people who think it's OK to break your word.

Fuck at least I have the start of a new list of not to do business with in the EE.

I wonder if staff will allow you to sell something and state in the ad that you will not do business with XYZ and state the why of it?  

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:58:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
BS

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BS

Seems to be worth about $50.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:00:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Honor the original deal.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:03:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Some people seem to be willing to compromise on the deal made becauss it's FB and CL, but the reason that Facebook and Craigslist deals are such a clusterfuck to begin with is exactly because of activity like the OP is considering.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:03:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
There are some real low lifes posting in this thread, people who think it's OK to break your word.
Fuck at least I have the start of a new list of not to do business with inn the EE.
I wonder if staff will allow you to sell something and state in the ad that you will not do business with XYZ and state the why of it?  
View Quote

You don't have to accept an offer
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:05:09 PM EDT
[#27]
First one to me is the buyer.  

The only way I 'hold' an item is if there is some driving involved.  If I physically shake your hand, I don't care what the situation I agreed to is, Im honoring it.

If its over text, email, or messaging, I will only honor a right-now deal.

Ive been burned so many times by people who never show, so now I call or text to let the other party know "hey look, I sold it" as in, don't make the drive, don't bother ignoring me tomorrow when you were supposed to be here.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:05:14 PM EDT
[#28]
And to all you so called "men" who posted that a lot of buyers back out, that does not give you a free pass to break your word, just because they suck at being real men does not mean you get a pass on your word.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:07:35 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

at least I have the start of a new list of not to do business with inn the EE.

View Quote
This.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:08:26 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck at least I have the start of a new list of not to do business with inn the EE.

True enough, but once you say "OK I'll take the $200.00 it's yours" it's on you, you gave your word.

Even in a court of law where a verbal contract takes place, if you admitted you told the guy we have a deal at $200.00 the judge would enforce the deal. Of course there are probably a lot of guys in this thread who would not tell the truth to a judge according to what they have said so far  

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:08:42 PM EDT
[#31]

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:11:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I wish i lived in the fantasy land some of you guys do.
for some reason i imagine it as hundreds of Sam Elliott's running around.

i don't know why i guess hes like the quintessential good cowboy.

Until then this is a Tag I'm interested in if i will be proven right and damn all of humanity, or if ethics will step forward and change the world.

this better not be a safe thread.
View Quote

I get it now, having a personal code of ethics means you live in a "fantasy land." Well I guess I do, because I don't let the poor ethics of others determine how I will act. Here's another outdated concept in my fantasy land.

Right is right even if no one is doing it. Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:17:02 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I get it now, having a personal code of ethics means you live in a "fantasy land." Well I guess I do, because I don't let the poor ethics of others determine how I will act. Here's another outdated concept in my fantasy land.

Right is right even if no one is doing it. Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I wish i lived in the fantasy land some of you guys do.

for some reason i imagine it as hundreds of Sam Elliott's running around.

i don't know why i guess hes like the quintessential good cowboy.

Until then this is a Tag I'm interested in if i will be proven right and damn all of humanity, or if ethics will step forward and change the world.

this better not be a safe thread.

Yep, 100%

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:22:45 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Buyers are flakes.You have a 50% chance either of them will show.

Cash in hand get's it and I make that clear whenever I put something online to sell.

View Quote
This would be my approach as well - I'd say more than half of the people who say they want it, have some sort of conditions that they want met.  I tell them up front, first one to put cash in my hand gets it.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:23:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I don't like folks that welsh on a deal.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:24:32 PM EDT
[#36]
A deal is a deal.

If your word is worth nothing, so are you.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:25:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
No.  My word is worth more than $50.  

If you are a piece of shit, than the $50 probably means more to you.
View Quote

What about $24? You know, like, for a membership?    

Big difference between selling on CL, FB, etc and something like eBay or even the EE here.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:29:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:31:10 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Hate those things.

http://basementrejects.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/dreamcatcher-review-ass-weasel-stephen-king.jpg
Get me some friction tape!

Tell buyer #2 it's sold, but if buyer#1 backs out, it's coming his way, so have the cheese counted.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:31:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I made a deal with a guy
View Quote

There you go.

If you had made it clear that you were accepting "bids" then that's different. What's your word worth?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:32:17 PM EDT
[#41]
No. How much is your reputation worth? Unless somebody was trying to pull one over on you by taking advantage of your ignorance when you don't realize how much something is worth and trying to get something at a fraction of the value and then you realize it's worth exponentially more after somebody else offers you an exponentially higher offer (collectible/historical item for instance). I wouldn't sell something to somebody for $50 if I found out beforehand that it was worth $5000. Call me a piece of shit if you like. I call that not being a fool. Of course I always try to figure out how much something is actually worth before I sell it, so that'll never happen.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:32:49 PM EDT
[#42]
dishonest
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:33:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

If the item wasn't as described, then no.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:34:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Nope. Even had it happen here with a rare retro part.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:36:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Big difference between selling on CL, FB, etc and something like eBay or even the EE here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.  My word is worth more than $50.  

If you are a piece of shit, than the $50 probably means more to you.

Oh FFS. This site is free to use. GTFO with that nonsense.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:36:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Unless you're ad specifically had the phrasing "no deal is final unti cash is in hand", and you were up front about this to the buyer's, then it's a dishonest move to welch on #1 and go with a different buyer.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:37:26 PM EDT
[#47]
That line of thinking doesn't sit well around here
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:40:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Take the second offer's contact information and tell him that if the first guy backs out, it's his.
View Quote

Thats how I'd do it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:41:40 PM EDT
[#49]
I've sold on CraigsList and other classifieds no different than I sell on here or eBay.

Deal is negotiated.
Meeting place is arranged.
Money is exchanged.

I prefer that people meet me face to face to see the items prior to negotiating a price.

Threads like this make it extremely easy to determine who not to deal with in the EE.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:43:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top