Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:47:27 PM EDT
[#1]
If someone offered me $200 and I said, yes I'll take that for my item....the deal is done.

It doesn't matter if someone else comes along and offers me something better, I made a deal with the man who offered me $200.  

If your word means anything to you, you'll stick to the deal you agreed upon.  If you're a heel, feel free to violate your word for an extra $50.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:47:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I do CL quite a bit and I always make it known it is first come first served.  This is mainly because I learned early on a good amount of people never show up.  

If I did make a deal and agree to wait for them, I'd honor that.  You should as well, but it is your life to live.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:48:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No.  My word is worth more than $50.  

If you are a piece of shit, than the $50 probably means more to you.
View Quote

This right here!  Your title says "I made a deal"  

Let the #2 guy know you are a man of your word and you already made a deal but if the deal falls thru its his for $250.  Then let the first guy know someone else offered more and you want to make sure he is going to follow thru.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:48:31 PM EDT
[#4]
You made a deal.  Is you word worth $50?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:48:39 PM EDT
[#5]
A deal is a deal.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:49:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Would you do something like that with someone in the EE?

View Quote

Only once.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:50:33 PM EDT
[#7]
deal is a deal
buyer #1 is getting it today or will come up with the money on friday?
or is buyer #2 offering the $250 on payday?
offers like that I ignore

I dont consider anything sold these days until I have cash in hand
facebook buy trade sites are both awesome and horrible for crap like this
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:50:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don't like folks that welsh on a deal.
View Quote

I hate trying to barter in gaelic.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:50:39 PM EDT
[#9]
i have an idea.

all the people telling him to hold it kick in 10 bucks to pay him for when he doesn't show up.

since the word of a man means so much you will be willing to risk 10 bucks wont you?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:50:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I would tell the first guy if he wants it bring the money asap, until cash is in hand there is no deal.

I get pissed when people sell things out from under me but at the same time I have had people show up and try to talk me down or never show up...

one in hand...
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:53:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Even on Facebook my word is worth more than  $50.  Then again, I'm not a total shitheel like some on here.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:54:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Tell the $250 guy that it is sold, don't tell him for how much, and tell him if guy #1 backs out, then it is his, for $250. You don't dump the guy you made a deal with, especially since you've set a time for transfer goods!
View Quote

This.  It's amazing how many buyers are no-shows OR they show up and it's "Sorry man I only have $180 on me..."
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:55:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
i have an idea.

all the people telling him to hold it kick in 10 bucks to pay him for when he doesn't show up.

since the word of a man means so much you will be willing to risk 10 bucks wont you?
View Quote

My word means something to me.  In OPs position, I wouldn't fuck over the first guy who said he'd take it for $50.

I'm not guaranteeing anyone else's word, just stating what I would do in OPs shoes, so no I won't kick in 10 bucks and trust the word of a stranger whom I've never met.

Silly premise is silly.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:55:21 PM EDT
[#14]
My word is worth more than your deal.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:56:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

My word means something to me.  In OPs position, I wouldn't fuck over the first guy who said he'd take it for $50.

I'm not guaranteeing anyone else's word, just stating what I would do in OPs shoes, so no I won't kick in 10 bucks and trust the word of a stranger whom I've never met.

Silly premise is silly.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
i have an idea.

Silly premise is silly.

but your asking him to risk 50 bucks on the word of a stranger.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:57:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
i have an idea.

Silly premise is silly.

No, we're stating that we wouldn't go back on a deal for an extra 50 bucks.

As someone else said, he can tell the guy who offered him $250 that someone else has spoken for it but it is his if the guy doesn't come through.  

This is not difficult.

ETA:  This isn't a "I haven't heard from guy #1 and guy #2 is offering me more, should I take it?" situation, this is a "I told guy #1 it is his and am supposed to meet with him, but now guy #2 wants to give me more so I'm tempted to fuck over the first guy I made a deal with for extra money" situation.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:58:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't like folks that welsh on a deal.

Autocorrect strikes again.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:59:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
i have an idea.

Silly premise is silly.

You are also risking not selling the item at all if the second buyer flakes, and you fuck over the first buyer

Remind me never to buy something from you

Ever
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:59:43 PM EDT
[#19]
You made the mistake of making the deal when you're not face to face and the cash is there.

You should keep your word. If he flakes, you've learned a lesson and kept your integrity.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:00:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Done deal.

I was buying a vacant piece of property next to me and we settled on $28,000 were in the process of getting paperwork together and he call me and says neighbor on other side offered him $35,000 and he would be selling to him. Anyways the neighbor who did that tried asking me for shit I told him to fuck off. His driveway is so fucked up he was stuck in the ditch so many times last winter I just waived.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:00:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You are also risking not selling the item at all if the second buyer flakes, and you fuck over the first buyer

View Quote

An excellent point.  

Would be wonderful karma though if he fucks over a guy he had a deal with for the promise of a little more cash only to be left with no deal and no cash.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:01:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

But if you forget to state "first to show with cash gets it", then you need to honor what you told the first guy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Facebook or Craigslist cash first wins. Some people don't show up.

With that said I never back out once I tell someone it's theirs. Always state first to show with payment gets it.

But if you forget to state "first to show with cash gets it", then you need to honor what you told the first guy.

That should be standard anyways.   I've had an old army wrecker that a guy's been telling me he'll start paying me for "next month" for the past 2 years.   If someone shows up with cash in hand and says they want it, I'm absolutely going to sell it to them.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:01:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
i have an idea.

View Quote

You base the value of your integrity on how much integrity someone else may or may not have?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:02:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Put yourself in his shoes. You guys agreed on a price and have set up a reasonable time frame to exchange item/money. I'd consider the item sold until he was no show.

Follow up on your word.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:02:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm selling some stuff on Facebook. I made a deal with a guy, my plate carrier for $200. We're supposed to meet tomorrow.

Along comes guy #2 offering $250.

I'm leaning towards until my vest is in guy #1 hands and his money in mine, bidding is fair game. What do you think?
View Quote

You said you made a deal.  It doesn't matter if you're meeting next week or next month, that's just too bad.  Your honor and integrity are worth more than $50.  

If the guy said "I have $200 and I'd like to take a look at it" and you were just going to meet him so he could do so, I would say there isn't a deal yet.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:03:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Ever
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
i have an idea.

Silly premise is silly.

Ever

?

how so Mr 200 knows nothing about Mr 250

say Mr 250 doesn't shows up today , and tomorrow Mr 200 does all is well.

Mr 250 shows up today and pays him, a simple email to Mr 200 telling him sorry it sold.

if he really wanted to be a dick he could sell it and not tell Mr 200 till he showed up.

but more likely if the dood shows up at all hell have some sob story and $180
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:04:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Bust a deal, face the wheel.

How much is your honor and word worth? I would keep the original deal.
View Quote

Fifty bucks?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:05:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I honor my commitments
View Quote

Came here to post much this.

Handshakes and a person's word is important where I am from. Tell your friends.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:05:49 PM EDT
[#29]
How much is your word worth? Do you believe in situational ethics? If you want to go with the highest bidder, do an auction. If the guy made a solid, no BS "I'll take it" then it should go to him.

Admittedly, I'm an old geezer and my way of thinking is probably not in vogue anymore.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:05:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
i have an idea.

Silly premise is silly.

I have a brief story about how things work among men with integrity and should work for everyone.  

My dad wanted a rifleman's frock from a vendor at a rendezvous. Vendor didn't have his size. Vendor says, " I'll make you the frock and send it to you. If you like it, send me the money. If you don't, send me back the frock". Dad sent the money when the shirt arrived.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:06:13 PM EDT
[#31]
I told guy #2 if original deal falls through, it's his for $250.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:08:07 PM EDT
[#32]
This is why I don't make deals until money is in my hands (FTF deals obviously).

Once I agree to the terms and a payment deadline, that person gets the item.  But for FTF deals, until I trade $ for item, no deal has been made.  

I always list things like "I will not hold items.  First person to put cash in my hand gets it."  If they really want it, they will get me my fucking money.  Gets rid of the tire kickers, the "I have to ask my wife" and the "I don't have the $ now" people.  No $, no deal when it's FTF.  I'm not holding things, I'm not waiting.  I'm not losing another sale opportunity while someone gets their shit together.  Pay me, get item.  No $ RFN, no deal.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:08:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

?

Mr 250 shows up today and pays him, a simple email to Mr 200 telling him sorry it sold.

if he really wanted to be a dick he could sell it and not tell Mr 200 till he showed up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
i have an idea.

Silly premise is silly.

Ever

?

So he tells the second guy that he's second in line and if the first guy doesn't follow through, it's second guy's vest.  It's no BFD.  

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:08:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's a good way to handle it.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:08:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
i have an idea.

Silly premise is silly.

Ever

?

Whats keeping mr 250 from being mr 180?

You agreed to sell the item for 200

If the first guy doesn't take the deal, you sell it to the second buyer.

If i agreed to buy an item for 200, and i get an email saying, "sorry bro, someone else offered more" i would be pissed

You are in breach of contract, look it up.

Welchers are scumbags

Eta, if there is nothing wrong with doing that, try and pull that shit on the EE, see how long it takes to lock your account
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:08:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Depends on how long away you have scheduled guy #1. If hes coming today, give him the deal.

If he says I can come in a week, and #2 can come tomorrow, deal goes to #2.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:08:58 PM EDT
[#37]
if you have to asks, you already know the correct answer...you're just seeking someone
to assure you screwing someone on this deal is OK..
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:10:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
This is why I don't make deals until money is in my hands (FTF deals obviously).

Once I agree to the terms and a payment deadline, that person gets the item.  But for FTF deals, until I trade $ for item, no deal has been made.  

I always list things like "I will not hold items.  First person to put cash in my hand gets it."
View Quote

Conversely, I tend to avoid those kind of deals if they're so much as the next town over, because I don't want to waste my time driving over only to find the item has sold while I"m wasting my time and gas to get there.  

I'm not saying you're doing things the wrong way because you're being very upfront about how you'll sell it, but I tend to avoid those kinds of deals unless I can go pick up the item RFN and it's within a 10 minute drive.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:10:49 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I'm selling some stuff on Facebook. I made a deal with a guy, my plate carrier for $200. We're supposed to meet tomorrow.

I'm leaning towards until my vest is in guy #1 hands and his money in mine, bidding is fair game. What do you think?
View Quote
Why are you even asking? Are you an attention whore or just clueless?

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:11:06 PM EDT
[#40]
You fucked up when you decided to make a deal without the other person having the cash.

Now you should wait until the first guy ponies up with the cash on the agreed upon time.

Cash or no deal next time

You're welcome
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:11:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I honor my commitments
View Quote

This. Big or small my word carries the same weight.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:11:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yea, I don't know.  . . . Facebook buying/selling is pretty much on par with Craigslist.

First guy to put money in your hand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Facebook? Deal is struck when items change hands.

So your word means nothing?

not on a Facebook buy/sell/trade page

Yea, I don't know.  . . . Facebook buying/selling is pretty much on par with Craigslist.

First guy to put money in your hand.

Yeah next time state in the ad that first come first served. Idk what to do about current deal. Would suck if buyer 1 flaked and 2 went elsewnere
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:12:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Only once.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would you do something like that with someone in the EE?

Only once.  

Exactly
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:12:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

It depends on the expectations that YOU set.  If you "made the deal" then you should follow through.  If you told guy #1 up front that the first person with cash in hand gets it, then that's another story.  If you failed to properly set expectations, then sucker it up and tell guy #2 that it's his if guy #1 falls through.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:12:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That should be standard anyways.   I've had an old army wrecker that a guy's been telling me he'll start paying me for "next month" for the past 2 years.   If someone shows up with cash in hand and says they want it, I'm absolutely going to sell it to them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Facebook or Craigslist cash first wins. Some people don't show up.

With that said I never back out once I tell someone it's theirs. Always state first to show with payment gets it.

Absolutely. Context is everything. In this situation, thats not what's happening tho.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:13:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's the right thing to do.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:13:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I have a brief story about how things work among men with integrity and should work for everyone.  

My dad wanted a rifleman's frock from a vendor at a rendezvous. Vendor didn't have his size. Vendor says, " I'll make you the frock and send it to you. If you like it, send me the money. If you don't, send me back the frock". Dad sent the money when the shirt arrived.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
i have an idea.

Silly premise is silly.

yeah and had your dad been shifty and the like the guy wouldn't have done that. plus reactors tend to be an honest bunch much like the EE here.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:13:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Is your integrity worth only $50.00? Think about that question.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:14:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Conversely, I tend to avoid those kind of deals if they're so much as the next town over, because I don't want to waste my time driving over only to find the item has sold while I"m wasting my time and gas to get there.  

I'm not saying you're doing things the wrong way because you're being very upfront about how you'll sell it, but I tend to avoid those kinds of deals unless I can go pick up the item RFN and it's within a 10 minute drive.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always list things like "I will not hold items.  First person to put cash in my hand gets it."

Shrug.  That's up to you.  It's why I put it out there so nobody is mistaken about how I do these things.  CL/FB deals are a PITA for me any other way.  I'll let you know if I still have it or not, and if you leave me a phone number I'll text you if it sold.  But I've learned to not trust people who buy on CL/FB when it comes to actually showing up with the $ or trying to change the deal after they show.

Just the nature of the beast.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:15:51 PM EDT
[#50]
a deal is a deal.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top