Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/2/2015 8:50:20 AM EDT
I live in the country, not in town.  I'm not in an HOA.  Today, I watched two guys drive up in a John Deere Gator, and start trimming weeds in my neighbors yard.  I found that odd since my neighbor loves doing yard work.  Next thing I know, they're in my yard, trimming the weeds around my mailbox, and a utility pole.  After that, they cross the street, and start trimming the weeds around my neighbors trees.  They continue this for every house in our neighborhood.  I wanted to ask them why, but I didn't want to chase away the free labor.  Should I be worried about this?  Are we about to be served Eminent Domain paperwork?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:53:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe they were given the wrong subdivision address or name?

You could always tell them to get off your lawn
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:54:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Here they trim the right of way about 2-3 times a year.  Usually the first 3-5 feet from the road, sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less depending upon terrain  Maybe your location just started doing it?

Or maybe someone down the street is selling their house and wants the street to have better curb appeal

ETA - also they could be starting a utility project and trimming all the grass and weeds to make it easier to mark locations of current utilities.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:55:13 AM EDT
[#3]
They were casing your joint bro, everyone that ever goes near your property, EVER is casing your joint.

You should be very angry about this.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:55:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here they trim the right of way about 2-3 times a year.  Usually the first 3-5 feet from the road, sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less depending upon terrain  Maybe your location just started doing it?

Or maybe someone down the street is selling their house and wants the street to have better curb appeal
View Quote

There's a brand new neighborhood being built up the street from us.  I also noticed my neighbor removed the 6 Jeep Wranglers from his yard, and took down his Confederate flag.  Maybe they paid him to hide them.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:55:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Probably the county. They do that here maybe once or twice a year.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:56:06 AM EDT
[#6]
As long as they didn't headbutt you
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:56:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Maybe they were being nice?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:57:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Someone near you have their house on the market?

Maybe they're doing some neighborhood "curb appeal" to get it sold. I've seen that a few times.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:58:38 AM EDT
[#9]
The county maintains the right of way/ drainage easement at the front of your property.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:00:22 AM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:01:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I would hide my dag if I was you, next thing you know they will come and give them their shots and neuter them without your consent.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:03:03 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

The county maintains the right of way/ drainage easement at the front of your property.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:04:49 AM EDT
[#13]
I wish someone would come to my house and do my weedeating.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:06:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:07:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Neighbor down the street came home and his grass was mowed.  He thought that was weird.  

His neighbor walked over and asked him who his new service was cause they did a great job.

He stated he didn't have a service.  When he got inside he realized his house was robbed.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:07:53 AM EDT
[#16]
And so it begins.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:08:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

You're probably right.  I have no idea how big the easment is, they went pretty far into some of the yards, but the work they did in my yard was all roadside.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:22:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Yes the curb strips are typically state (town) property.

In most areas there is an easement along the public road and while you may mantain it, the property is public.

I know this because I metal detect those curb strips in small towns in the oldest sections. And find really cool stuff. I keep a copy of the easement rules in my wallet just in case someone tries to say I'm trespassing.

I don't leave any trace and always refill and replace the dirt/grass so never had an issue, but technically it's public property.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:23:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Just shut up and let it happen
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:28:22 AM EDT
[#20]
I probably would have gone out to talk to them, if I had been curious about why they were there.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:28:33 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I live in the country, not in town.  I'm not in an HOA.  Today, I watched two guys drive up in a John Deere Gator, and start trimming weeds in my neighbors yard.  I found that odd since my neighbor loves doing yard work.  Next thing I know, they're in my yard, trimming the weeds around my mailbox, and a utility pole.  After that, they cross the street, and start trimming the weeds around my neighbors trees.  They continue this for every house in our neighborhood.  I wanted to ask them why, but I didn't want to chase away the free labor.  Should I be worried about this?  Are we about to be served Eminent Domain paperwork?
View Quote
Ive been know to just mow the neighbors yard. Yes weedeat, trim, and blow the drive off.

Why?

Because Im a nice guy and I look out for my neighbors as they do for me.

I havent found my yard mowed yet, but nothing of my possessions has disappeared so I got that.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:34:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Probationers just trying to stay busy?

My dad used to be a probation officer, many laughs ensued, and he just kept them moving/trimming/mowing constantly all over the county.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:36:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Jade Helm? They didn't pick up the clippings and take them with them did they? Watch your back!
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:36:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Probationers just trying to stay busy?

My dad used to be a probation officer, many laughs ensued, and he just kept them moving/trimming/mowing constantly all over the county.
View Quote

They did have dreadlocks and face tattoos.  One also had shiny gold teeth.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:48:30 AM EDT
[#25]
used to have some of my guys do that for training purposes before i took em out on paying customers property

didn't want them doing ugly edge, trim jobs or use the trimmer in the wrong rotation where it throws rocks at windows
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:18:04 AM EDT
[#26]
There was an episode of Justified where the Marshals did free yard work so they could watch the house for a fugitive.

Have any warrants?  
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:37:10 AM EDT
[#27]
stealing mail
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:39:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wurd.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:40:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
There was an episode of Justified where the Marshals did free yard work so they could watch the house for a fugitive.

Have any warrants?  
View Quote

Not in this country.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:42:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Either they're good neighbors or they misunderstood the area they were to mow.  Kinda like swatting but in this case mowing.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:54:27 AM EDT
[#31]
We have a ditch that runs on one side and out in front of our house and I do keep it nice and clean but every so often the county will send a crew out to trim everything around and in the ditch to make sure drainage can flow properly. And sometimes they do a little extra, which I don't complain about.

Maybe they're cleaning up around the utility poles and doing a little extra "community service" while they're around?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:56:50 AM EDT
[#32]
This is the kind of thing that would only happen to you.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:09:15 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Maybe they were given the wrong subdivision address or name?

You could always tell them to get off your lawn

View Quote

...but only with a Garand in your hands

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:13:01 PM EDT
[#34]
That doesn't belong to you.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:20:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Either they're good neighbors or they misunderstood the area they were to mow.  Kinda like swatting but in this case mowing.
View Quote

They weren't from my neighborhood.  They were black, and I live near KKK country.  I'm the darkest person in a several mile radius.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:23:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Surveillance is my first bet - but it could also possibly be a county issue.  Long (dead) grass by the roadside is a fire hazard.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:24:40 PM EDT
[#37]
the county doing maintenance?
the county once maybe twice a years mows my ditch and sprays weed killer around the utility pole

only problem with that is I keep my yard mowed and maintained
so these assholes spray a big brown spot in my yard and destroy my ditch no matter what
considering the condition of the ditches around my place that they skip over and dont cut like mine
they are doing this on purpose
if I could figure out when they are doing this I would love to stop and chat with them
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:25:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

They weren't from my neighborhood.  They were black, and I live near KKK country.  I'm the darkest person in a several mile radius.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And you started a black people were mowing my yard but I did not talk to them at all thread?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:25:43 PM EDT
[#39]
in before the labor liens on your property
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:28:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Probably trimming the utility easement for some reason or another.

Or they got the wrong location.  A few years back I went out to clean the snow off of my driveway and it had already been taken care of, the dude meant to do the neighbors driveway that hired him to do it.  I offered to pay, he refused.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:29:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

And you started a black people were mowing my yard but I did not talk to them at all thread?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I said Good Morning to them.  What more should in have said?  I didn't want to distract them from the free yard work they were giving me.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:29:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

There's a brand new neighborhood being built up the street from us.  I also noticed my neighbor removed the 6 Jeep Wranglers from his yard, and took down his Confederate flag.  Maybe they paid him to hide them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hide my Jeeps from no-person.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:30:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Wurd.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wurd.

I'd even fix them a sammich!  
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:31:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Typically, from the Center point of the road (dead middle of the road), on a 2 lane road, the right away goes 50 feet.

This normally works out to about 35 feet in, is where your property legally begins.  (Typical lane being 12 feet + center line [1ft] + width of berm [3ft])

Of course, this varies from state to state, county to county, etc.   You should be able to look up your right away area.  In this area the utility's have their lines, as well as any ditches, sewer lines, water lines, etc.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:34:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Very interdasting...tag since you're not that far from me.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:37:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

I live near Holopaw.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:39:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I live near Holopaw.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I live near Holopaw.

You live due east of me.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:43:14 PM EDT
[#48]
About 6 years ago I came home from work to find my front and back lawn mowed, but not as nicely as I do it and the trim work wasn't done. The next week the same thing happened and this went on for a month. Couldn't figure out who was mowing my lawn every week while I was at work. At the end of the month they put a bill for $160 in my mailbox.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:46:29 PM EDT
[#49]
"You didn't mow that yard"
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:36:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You're probably right.  I have no idea how big the easment is, they went pretty far into some of the yards, but the work they did in my yard was all roadside.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably 20 ft drainage, 5 ft utility. But its different all over the place, if you had a survey done when you bought the house it should say on it.  I think the county contracts it out, and Im pretty sure they are supposed to do it 4 times a year.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top