Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 9/2/2015 7:27:50 AM EDT
http://www.navytimes.com/story/military/pentagon/2015/09/01/secnav-no-reason-not-open-marine-infantry-women/71529246/

"Marine infantry and special operations specialties will soon open to women, if the head of the Navy Department gets his way.

As deadlines loom on decisions about whether to allow women into front-line combat jobs, Navy Secretary Ray Mabus called for opening all billets to female troops who can meet the rigorous standards.

Marine officials will soon offer their recommendations, but Mabus, the civilian secretary who leads the Navy Department — including the Marine Corps — made clear that he must sign off on the decision to seek any exemptions to opening all jobs to women, and he hasn't had a change of heart.

"That's still my call, and I've been very public," Mabus said in an exclusive Sept. 1 interview. "I do not see a reason for an exemption."

Mabus said both sea services should keep physical standards unchanged.

His call for opening all military occupational specialties to women follows Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Jon Greenert's assertion in late August that the Navy would not seek an exemption for its legendary SEAL teams.

All of the services have until Oct. 1 to submit their exemption requests to Defense Secretary Ash Carter, and the Marine Corps has not indicated whether it intends to do so. Mabus, however, signaled that his mind was largely made up.

"My understanding of how the process works is that I'm the one that asks [the Defense Department] for the exemption," he said. "Now, other voices will be heard, the way [former Defense Secretary Leon] Panetta lined it up — I think, the way I read it — is that if the [Navy] Department doesn't ask for an exemption, they will open."

While Mabus will have the last say for the Marine Corps' own billets, U.S. Special Operations Command must also sign off on the Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command troops it oversees, as with the Navy SEALs. If SOCOM does not seek an exemption, MARSOC and SEAL teams will open to women on Jan. 1, 2016, along with any other jobs still closed to women.

Marine brass have stayed tight lipped about whether they'll seek gender exclusions. In a July hearing for his confirmation as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Marine Corps Commandant Gen. Joseph Dunford did not let on whether a decision was in-hand.

"We have looked at this issue pretty hard," he told the Senate committee. "I expect the data that we've collected over the past 18 months in a very deliberate, responsible way to be available to me in the August-September timeframe. And we'll meet the timeline established by Secretary [Leon] Panetta and General [Martin] Dempsey in the letter from 2012."

MARINE CORPS TIMES

Marines' decision on women in combat expected in weeks

Dunford is on track to send his recommendations to Mabus in the next few weeks, his spokesman Lt. Col. Eric Dent told Marine Corps Times in late August.

Though Dunford is scheduled to assume the top Joint Chiefs role next month, officials said Dunford plans to make the recommendations regarding women in combat roles before Gen. (sel.) Robert Neller takes over as commandant.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:29:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Glad I got out when I did. It was bad enough back then.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:29:53 AM EDT
[#2]
We're on an elevator ride to hell.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:44:52 AM EDT
[#3]
0/29 make it thru IOC after 2 years and only 34% complete the enlisted infantry school with a 50% medical discharge rate within 1 year but he sees no reason the infantry should remain closed.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:51:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:53:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Ray Mabus
United States Secretary of the Navy

Raymond Edwin "Ray" Mabus, Jr. is an American politician and member of the Democratic Party

Appointed by: Barack Obama

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:53:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I propose we start this social experiment small and work up.

Let's start with women in the NFL. We'll see how that goes, and THEN maybe dabble with CQB with savages.

Fucking left wingers talk about combat like it's the x games.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:55:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:11:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Let's start with women in the NFL. We'll see how that goes, and THEN maybe dabble with CQB with savages.

View Quote

I still don't get why women aren't pushing for women to do full PGA golf tours, tennis, Olympic skiing and swimming before the military. Those aren't even contact sports yet women don't participate against men.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:13:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I recall reading a story about Marines in Desert Storm being stuck in an LAV for 24 hours straight pissing in water bottles and shitting in helmets.   Will LAV's have to provide separate helmet shitting areas for women?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:13:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Ray Mabus

Raymond Edwin "Ray" Mabus, Jr. is an American politician and member of the Democratic Party

View Quote

Nostradamus and the Antichrist:
Code Named Mabus

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:15:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Code Named Mabus

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ray Mabus

Code Named Mabus

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:17:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I still don't get why women aren't pushing for women to do full PGA golf tours, tennis, Olympic skiing and swimming before the military. Those aren't even contact sports yet women don't participate against men.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, we had a "national equality day" which was celebrated at my deployed location with a dinner and wine tasting. I asked if they were going to celebrate it with PT tests to the male standard and got a few.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:22:39 AM EDT
[#13]
How'd he get to be Secretary of the Navy anyway...I know I didn't vote for him.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:25:29 AM EDT
[#14]
When he was governor of MS, we had a saying, "Savus from Mabus."  
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:34:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I recall reading a story about Marines in Desert Storm being stuck in an LAV for 24 hours straight pissing in water bottles and shitting in helmets.   Will LAV's have to provide separate helmet shitting areas for women?
View Quote

Anyone who has actually served in an infantry platoon for even a few months straight knows the answer to this even as nasty as those women
might get or think they are.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:37:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yep, we had a "national equality day" which was celebrated at my deployed location with a dinner and wine tasting. I asked if they were going to celebrate it with PT tests to the male standard and got a few.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amazing that double standard.

Last year the USMC 3 minimum pull up requirement for women quickly got dropped to the wayside. But I don't see any women suing the government or waging a hashtag war to reinstate it because they want the standards maintained.

I've also yet to hear of any women suing for the right to have to register for selective service in order to get college financial aid like males are required.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:38:11 AM EDT
[#17]
If only a handful of women have any chance of making it, then eliminating women from consideration is a effective screening measure to improve efficiency.  This is just wasting the money the Navy will have to spend on unrealistic hopefuls.

Make any woman that wants to sign up get a waiver from her CO...at least then you'll have some consensus that the woman in question is capable of making it.  Or, better yet, have Infantry or the Seals sign the waiver...it's their ass on the line.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:40:25 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Ray Mabus

View Quote

Winner winner chicken dinner!

Everything there makes everything in the above article very clear...

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:43:25 AM EDT
[#19]
This topic needs to go away, its getting annoying.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:43:52 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

If only a handful of women have any chance of making it, then eliminating women from consideration is a effective screening measure to improve efficiency.  This is just wasting the money the Navy will have to spend on unrealistic hopefuls.

Make any woman that wants to sign up get a waiver from her CO...at least then you'll have some consensus that the woman in question is capable of making it.  Or, better yet, have Infantry or the Seals sign the waiver...it's their ass on the line.
View Quote

That's really the crux of the matter. There ARE some that are capable. It's just not anywhere near worth the price to pay to get them. Not if it's just in the name of equality.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:48:40 AM EDT
[#21]
In just this past year, he's pushed for a 25% female Navy by 2020 along with 18 weeks maternity leave and gender neutral uniforms and headgear. What else will he be pushing in the next year before this administration's time is up?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:01:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Last year the USMC 3 minimum pull up requirement for women quickly got dropped to the wayside. But I don't see any women suing the government or waging a hashtag war to reinstate it because they want the standards maintained.

I've also yet to hear of any women suing for the right to have to register for selective service in order to get college financial aid like males are required.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trying for consistent equality will get you fired and your career ended:

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/story/military/2015/07/07/kate-germano-fired-marine-corps-female-recruit-unit-commander/29763371/
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:09:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Ehhhh....

The IDF doesn't have an issue.

If we have women that can hack it... let them fight.

Hell have no fury like a woman's scorn.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:10:08 AM EDT
[#24]
The thing is just how many women out there are actually qualified for this sort of duty?
Like the two that made it through Ranger training but just how many actually washed out?
If you had 50000 women wanting to serve with front line male Marines how many of that 50000 would actually qualify under the same training regimen?/
Not many at all if any would be my thought.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:13:49 AM EDT
[#25]

All fighting isn't the same. You know that.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:16:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Political correctness will get people killed on the battlefield.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:17:47 AM EDT
[#27]
It's all about "feels" these days

Who cares how many lives this puts in danger
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:20:41 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ehhhh....
The IDF doesn't have an issue.
If we have women that can hack it... let them fight.
Hell have no fury like a woman's scorn.

I guess the Female Contras didn't get that memo.

Or the gals serving in the FARC...

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:24:34 AM EDT
[#29]
just because they wear a uniform and carry a gun, doesn't mean they are infantry.

Are the sayarets all male?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:49:07 AM EDT
[#30]

The IDF also serves a much different purpose than the USMC Infantry and NSW. Israel is under constant threat and manning static posts/area patrols are a considerably different task than what the Marine Infantry and NSW units handle.

And yes i realize that every guy in the infantry or NSW for that matter has stood post, patrolled around a base etc...
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:09:19 AM EDT
[#31]

What exactly in ANY of those pictures makes you think those women possess the required strength, fortitude, or skills required to be members of elite fighting forces?  ANYBODY can wear a uniform and hold a gun in the jungle.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:12:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Well, bless his heart.

Thank God we have high level officers who are concerned with mission readiness and supporting the warfighter.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:17:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Fighting is fighting.... humans can be conditioned to live in almost anything. Same with women.... the Contras and thw FARC live in squalid hell holes in the jungle with little to no infrastructure and wage a war against rival factions.

America was settled by women that had nothing but a covered wagon, a husband, and a shotgun and they survived. They worked farms, plowed fields, etc....

The whole thing that women can't is bullshit. Moral characterk, skills, fortitude, etc... can all be taught. Strength is a minor factor but last I checkex, a good percentage of Ameri males can't serve for the same reasons. Too out of shape and fat.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:18:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Does Congress get a say in any of this?  Or do they even want to?

Why does a 2012 decision by an outgoing SECDEF and a week and feckless CJCS stand "as law" on the matter?  
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:19:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:20:33 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote
The will to connect the dots won't be there when it happens.  

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:31:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Fighting is fighting.... humans can be conditioned to live in almost anything. Same with women.... the Contras and thw FARC live in squalid hell holes in the jungle with little to no infrastructure and wage a war against rival factions.

America was settled by women that had nothing but a covered wagon, a husband, and a shotgun and they survived. They worked farms, plowed fields, etc....

The whole thing that women can't is bullshit. Moral characterk, skills, fortitude, etc... can all be taught. Strength is a minor factor but last I checkex, a good percentage of Ameri males can't serve for the same reasons. Too out of shape and fat.
View Quote

That's just naïve liberal thinking that denies the fact that men are bigger and stronger in general...and the generality there is clear enough to make screening out females incredibly reasonable and efficient.

Simply put, no, not everybody should get a chance.

Don't get me wrong...I don't think the elite groups should be closed to women, but I absolutely think screening out applicants based on sex is perfectly reasonable...just make it waiverable so someone's ass (whoever signs the waiver) is on the line.

Regular combat roles?  Suit 'em up.  And register them all for Selective Service.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:33:02 AM EDT
[#38]
EL OH EL
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:40:10 AM EDT
[#39]
I spent just a tad over 20 years in the Corps and I've meet very few, <1%, of the WM's (Women Marines, a politically incorrect term no longer used.) who could hack it in a Marine infantry role.  Before someone gets their panties all stained let me be clear when I mean hack it I'm not just talking about getting through SOI or the IOC, I'm talking about making it in the FMF.  The females that I meet that could were either tri-athletes or farm girls (Daddy worked them like boys.).

Semper Fi,
Old Marine
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:41:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
 And register them all for Selective Service.
View Quote

This x1000.

If they want to be in combat roles so damned badly, start up Selective Service for women.  Watch all this shit go away FAST once mom realizes that her daughters may be drafted and they response en masse to Congress with a huge "HELL NO".

Of course, this is why they will allow women into combat roles, but never into Selective Service.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:49:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Oh for fucks sake!!  The feelz in this country I cannot take anymore!!
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:50:05 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
That's just naïve liberal thinking that denies the fact that men are bigger and stronger in general...and the generality there is clear enough to make screening out females incredibly reasonable and efficient.

Don't get me wrong...I don't think the elite groups should be closed to women, but I absolutely think screening out applicants based on sex is perfectly reasonable...just make it waiverable so someone's ass (whoever signs the waiver) is on the line.

Regular combat roles?  Suit 'em up.  And register them all for Selective Service.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

...Snip...

Can all women serve as SEALs and Green Berets? Nope... can they serve in standard infantry? Sure.... sign 'em up.

Are there some women tough enough to be Spec-Ops? Yup...

Let women try out. Those that make the cut  can be proud.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:52:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Big mistake
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:56:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Not to belittle them but the combat role of woman in the IDF is vastly exaggerated. http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/may/25/womens-combat-roles-in-israel-defense-forces-exagg/?page=all

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:57:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

When the standards are lowered to achieve the desired outcome fat Freddie will get another shot.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:58:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Can all women serve as SEALs and Green Berets? Nope... can they serve in standard infantry? Sure.... sign 'em up.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
...Snip...

I'm not opposed to letting them try out...with a waiver.

Men are screened out of these programs all the time for this, that, or the other condition.  If they still want to try, they have to get a waiver for that, essentially someone else saying "I don't think this will be a factor in whether or not they succeed."  Then if someone has a history of signing waivers for washouts, their waiver authority can be revoked, and system efficiency can be maintained.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:59:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:59:38 AM EDT
[#48]
I agree with him. You're welcome America
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:59:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not an issue when every single decision is made to weaken the USA.

TXL
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:00:53 AM EDT
[#50]
As the left wing loons continue with the lofty social experiments, with women and trannies etc, I wonder
how many guys will decide not to serve because of it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top