Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2015 6:46:18 AM EDT
For the fourth month in a row, FBI NICS checks have set a new monthly record. I know it is not a direct correlation to actual gun sales,
but rather a strong indicator.

I will be doing my part to continue the trend. America might be waking up.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:53:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I did my part, and will continue.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:57:39 AM EDT
[#2]
#blackgunsmatter  ?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:59:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I ran a buttload of NICS, and a few CCW bypasses.
I guess Walmart helped too.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:01:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Me too.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:08:51 AM EDT
[#5]
NICS checks and gun sales actually have negative correlation.  That is, as NICS checks increase, gun sales decrease.

That's the only thing that makes sense anyway since I've read several times this year from various sources that fewer and fewer Americans own guns every year.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:15:29 AM EDT
[#6]
The data alone doesn't really tell enough of the story.  Is it a handful buying a shit ton or that many individuals?  Just as much, some statistics are absurd when people say there are 150 million gun owners when a good chunk of the population are little kids.  

It sounds good though.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:22:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Salad days + upcomming elections where GOP establishment still wants to elect a democrat + continued rhetoric about gun control...

But good on people for taking advantage of pre-panic prices and inventory
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:26:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I keep hearing that gun sales have declined precipitously but sales are "booming" at the gunshop/range the I frequent 2-3 times each week.

Guns are flying out the door.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:41:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Glad I could do my part
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:47:17 AM EDT
[#10]
GooD
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:50:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Strange. I'm an FFL and my August was nothing spectacular. In fact, it seemed like gun sales were down a bit. That said, summers are always a bit slow and this summer seemed a little less slow than I remember.

Anyway, I didn't set any records this August. Maybe I suck at selling guns.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:52:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Strange. I'm an FFL and my August was nothing spectacular. In fact, it seemed like gun sales were down a bit. That said, summers are always a bit slow and this summer seemed a little less slow than I remember.

View Quote

+1

I haven't sold an AR in 8 weeks or so
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:59:35 AM EDT
[#13]
I suppose it's possible that I sold more guns (ran more checks) this August than last August, but I haven't actually run the numbers to see. Certainly this summer has been better than three years ago when we couldn't get guns to sell.

Overall, though, I'd say gun sales are slowing. The fervent demand for guns that we saw the past couple of years seems to have subsided. I think a lot of folks have what they want/need.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:04:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Bought 2 in as many months with no NICS checks......

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:05:07 AM EDT
[#15]
If just 10% of NICS checks equal new gunowners, that is roughly 1 million new gunowners per year for the last 15 years.  15 MILLION  new owners.  

I wonder what the real statistical correlation is, but I would hope 10% new is conservative.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:06:32 AM EDT
[#16]
And don't forget the CWP holders that they don't run a check on.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:08:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If just 10% of NICS checks equal new gunowners, that is roughly 1 million new gunowners per year for the last 15 years.  15 MILLION  new owners.  

I wonder what the real statistical correlation is, but I would hope 10% new is conservative.
View Quote

Most of the people at my club who "collect guns" don't even hit the NICS system when they buy guns since they all have CHPs.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:09:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Me too, at least  one  of  those  was mine.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:10:58 AM EDT
[#19]
come on guys... we know we can do better...
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:13:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

+1

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

How much are you charging for a colt 6920? I would imagine it's pretty hard right now to compete with online the dealers let alone Walmarts fire sale. I paid $799 a few months ago and feel like I should have waited if only I had known.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:33:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Most of the people at my club who "collect guns" don't even hit the NICS system when they buy guns since they all have CHPs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that some of those carry permit-instead of NICS states are the reason the NICS checks numbers are so high. Again, I'm not 100 percent certain, but I think I read that in some states where' carry permit to substitute for a NICS check, the state has to rerun the permit holders NICS check on some sort of regular basis. In other words, the checks are getting done on permit holders whether they buy a gun. I'm not sure if that's going on in your state, but that's why some of the state figure are off the charts.

My state (Missouri) is not one where a permit substitutes for a NICS check so everybody who gets a gun from an FFL has to have a NICS, regardless of whether they have a carry permit.

ETA: Here's a chart of NICS checks by state and by month . . .

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/reports/nics_firearm_checks_-_month_year_by_state.pdf

FWIW, Fatmax's state of North Caroline is right in line with Missouri. His state doesn't require NICS checks for permit holders, while mine does. The real crazy numbers come from Kentucky. Those can't all be gun sales. They have to be they system rerunning people's checks routinely.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:38:47 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

How much are you charging for a colt 6920? I would imagine it's pretty hard right now to compete with online the dealers let alone Walmarts fire sale. I paid $799 a few months ago and feel like I should have waited if only I had known.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

...and that's why we don't stock Colts, last one I sold was a new Armalite for $650
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:41:54 AM EDT
[#23]
makes me smile whenever gun sales peak.  Been happening a lot since Obunggrabber took office.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:42:46 AM EDT
[#24]
OP... ? Wat ? You gave us BS info ? Are you talking about all Backround checks or FFL related checks.
Huge difference. I just had a check done last week for something that has nothing to do with firearms and will generate another 2-3 checks before the end of the year.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:45:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

...and that's why we don't stock Colts, last one I sold was a new Armalite for $650
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I'm just a little small-town pawn shop. I've tried stocking new long guns but have largely stopped because the competition is so fierce. You tie up way too much money for far too little profit. I still stock a fair number of new handguns since those turn relatively fast.

New AR's? Fuck that. Sell a $700 gun and make $50-$70. No thanks. I'll stick to lower receivers, parts kits and accessories.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:47:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
makes me smile whenever gun sales peak.  Been happening a lot since Obunggrabber took office.
View Quote

Take a look at this chart. It appears that gun sales tried to peak about a year ago. They seem to be picking back up, though.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/reports/nics_firearm_checks_-_month_year.pdf
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:47:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

ARs sell pretty well for me. I sell lower end stuff like M&P Sports and Oracles. My customer base doesn't really request higher end stuff but they do upgrade components on the lower end guns. I can't reall afford to stock higher end stuff, and, even if I could I am not sure it would increase profit.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:51:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The real crazy numbers come from Kentucky. Those can't all be gun sales. They have to be they system rerunning people's checks routinely.
View Quote

I don't have the info in front of me know but it seems like the 2012 or 2013 NICS data showed Kentucky as being really higher, along with California. I couldn't really put my finger on why Kentucky's numbers were so high but you may have cracked the code for me.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:56:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I don't have the info in front of me know but it seems like the 2012 or 2013 NICS data showed Kentucky as being really higher, along with California. I couldn't really put my finger on why Kentucky's numbers were so high but you may have cracked the code for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The real crazy numbers come from Kentucky. Those can't all be gun sales. They have to be they system rerunning people's checks routinely.

So far this year, Missouri (a gun friendly state similar in size to Kentucky) has run 350,000 NICS checks. Your state of Louisiana has run 200,000. So far this year Kentucky has run TWO MILLION NICS checks. Those aren't all gun buyers. I guarantee you that. They must be running a check on every permit holder each month. It's about the only plausible explanation. No other state is close (California is up to a million and Texas is close behind).

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/reports/nics_firearm_checks_-_month_year_by_state.pdf
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:56:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I still stock a fair number of new handguns since those turn relatively fast.
View Quote

What handguns sell the best for you?

My top seller is the Taurus PT111 G2, followed by CCW guns like the LCP and the G43.

I feel lucky if I make 10% on long guns.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:59:48 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

My top seller is the Taurus PT111 G2, followed by CCW guns like the LCP and the G43.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I make $50 on handguns and $100 on rifles under $1K over $1K I try to make $150 - $200. I sell a lot of G19s, G43s and blue label Glocks and Sigs in various sizes/calibers.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:59:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

So far this year, Missouri (a gun friendly state similar in size to Kentucky) has run 350,000 NICS checks. Your state of Louisiana has run 200,000. So far this year Kentucky has run TWO MILLION NICS checks. Those aren't all gun buyers. I guarantee you that. They must be running a check on every permit holder each month. It's about the only plausible explanation. No other state is close (California is up to a million).
View Quote

That would still be a lot of permit holders, something like 135,000 using some quick math. Are they that many permit holders in KY?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:00:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have refused to stock Taurus ever since they left me hanging with overpriced guns when they dropped their wholesale cost on some models (plus, the potential for fucked up guns is too great). Obviously, I sell a lot of Hi-Points. Rugers (LCP, LC9 and SRC models) sell well. So do Shields and Kel-Tec PF9s. Glocks are pretty reliable sellers.

Right now, I'm pushing Ruger . . . gotta to earn those 4r points, you know . . .
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:03:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That would still be a lot of permit holders, something like 135,000 using some quick math. Are they that many permit holders in KY?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So far this year, Missouri (a gun friendly state similar in size to Kentucky) has run 350,000 NICS checks. Your state of Louisiana has run 200,000. So far this year Kentucky has run TWO MILLION NICS checks. Those aren't all gun buyers. I guarantee you that. They must be running a check on every permit holder each month. It's about the only plausible explanation. No other state is close (California is up to a million).

Maybe they're using NICS for some other purpose.

ETA: . . . Or, maybe they're running them every month: https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=8&f=27&t=479298
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:04:43 AM EDT
[#35]
I thought the gun companies were all going bust because of the big panic over the last two years? Market saturated etc.......

I knew that was HORSESHIT. Locally people are STILL buying and stacking shit away like there is no tomorrow. Hell, local pawn shop that sells black guns is now selling Storage Food by the pallet! People are not buying the "everything is great" bullshit anymore......
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:04:54 AM EDT
[#36]
I wonder if any of it is due to Walmart closing and having killer sales?

Anyhow, it still means more net new firearms out there in circulation.

You can't really buy a new firearm without a NICs check, so the fact that NICs checks are happening more often is a good thing - it means more new guns out there!

Hopefully many of these guns are going into the hands of first timers.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:10:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

So far this year, Missouri (a gun friendly state similar in size to Kentucky) has run 350,000 NICS checks. Your state of Louisiana has run 200,000. So far this year Kentucky has run TWO MILLION NICS checks. Those aren't all gun buyers. I guarantee you that. They must be running a check on every permit holder each month. It's about the only plausible explanation. No other state is close (California is up to a million and Texas is close behind).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell yeah for KY!
We're finally good at somthin'! GBB!!!
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:17:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
OP... ? Wat ? You gave us BS info ? Are you talking about all Backround checks or FFL related checks.
Huge difference. I just had a check done last week for something that has nothing to do with firearms and will generate another 2-3 checks before the end of the year.  
View Quote

According to the FBI NICS Facts Page, the numbers are for FFL checks. I know there is a huge difference, thanks for stating the obvious.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:11:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Hell yeah for KY!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell yeah for KY!

Or . . . . they're keeping a closer eye on you guys than anybody else.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:15:34 AM EDT
[#40]
but yet, Wal Mart says the market is gone.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:07:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
but yet, Wal Mart says the market is gone.
View Quote

I'd say the market for guns "purchased at Wal-Mart" is gone. Who do you know that bought a gun there before they put everything on clearance. I have been to more that one Wal-Mart where I could not imagine the sales clerk calling in a 4473 and getting everything right.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top