BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:45:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What's the purpose of your post OP? Are you trying to make dog owners feel bad?
View Quote

Being in the "pet industry", I'm thinking his business is in some way affected by people getting their dogs from shelters.

To me, a "rescue" is saving a dog from eventual euthanasia or from deplorable conditions. And the fee paid is to help the shelter cover costs.

Mine went from being the dog nobody wanted to winning the doggie lotto when I brought her home

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:47:50 AM EDT
[#2]
A lot of these "groups" actually do rescue dogs from high-kill pounds, often at the last minute.

Then they spend money rehabilitating them.

I have two, and they ARE rescue.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:54:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Probably.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably.

I'm guessing it's indignation at the way reputable breeders and the people that buy from them are treated by "rescue" people. It has become the rescue modus operandi to condemn and vilify anyone that chooses to purchase a dog from a breeder rather than "rescuing" a dog. The holier than thou attitude gets obnoxious after a while. No one should feel the need to justify why they chose to get their dog from a breeder. It's nothing to be ashamed of, even if rescue people want to shame you for it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:59:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I hollered at my retarded purebreed Golden that I bought from a registered breeder to keep him from getting run over the other day.  So he's a rescue now, right?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:05:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, I don't get it either.   If a person adopts a dog from a place like the Humane Society, it's reasonable to call it a "rescue" dog.  I know that a lot of the dogs our chapter adopts out come from the local kill shelter and many others were abandoned.  I don't know how those could not qualify as "rescues".
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:20:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
In some cases the dog may very well be saved from the needle. I consider mine a rescue; she was in a nightmare of a city pound, horribly sick and could barely move. I paid nothing for her, and when I told the lone person there "I'm taking this dog" he just said " ok cool"and had me sign a piece of paper and I walked out carrying her.

She ended up spending a few days at the vet, and probably wouldn't have made it if I didn't get her when I did.
View Quote

legit.

Mine were either wondering down the road starving or in the other case (I don't know if you could consider it a recue) Being mauled daily by a retarded child.
I know it wasn't the child's fault, he just had some strange aggression toward my beagle mix, who loved him despite the beatings. Well, the woman who owned him, me and my girl all agreed it would be best for him to have a new home.
Everyone is happier now.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:21:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm guessing it's indignation at the way reputable breeders and the people that buy from them are treated by "rescue" people. It has become the rescue modus operandi to condemn and vilify anyone that chooses to purchase a dog from a breeder rather than "rescuing" a dog. The holier than thou attitude gets obnoxious after a while. No one should feel the need to justify why they chose to get their dog from a breeder. It's nothing to be ashamed of, even if rescue people want to shame you for it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably.

I may be wrong but reading the OP, it seems he views any organization that takes money for "rescuing" the dog as a non-rescue organization, believing they're in it for profits

From what I understand however, legit rescue organizations are not funded by the state and rely on mainly volunteer efforts, donations and fees when you buy the dog that help pay for the cost of efforts to go through rescuing a dog, especially if they weren't dropped off not to mention the cost of medical fees to bring the animal back to full health.  Then of course you have overhead cost for the building itself and space (if they have any).  

A rescue place is different than a shelter which gets government funding.

Not sure how the op expects a rescue organization to exist without being compensated when selling a rescue dog for a small fee contrast to the cost it took them to actually rescue the dog back to health.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:22:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Edit - T

Also, legit.
Bravo.
And cute
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:31:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I wanna know what a therapy dog* is, or whatever the technical name is.

My colleague has "anxiety," so needs a dog to help cope. She is 25, has a great job, lives in a safe place, no ex is out to kill her, etc. What happens when life actually does throw a curveball (like no food in the stores)? What will people like her do?

*Not to disparage vets and the like who could actually use a therapy dog
View Quote

Every dog I have ever had has been a therapy dog, every day. Thank God for dogs!
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:32:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
All dogs are rescue dogs. I haven't heard of a non-rescue dog in probably 10 plus years.
Not true of course but that does seem to be the majority of dogs and it is a good thing.
View Quote

How so? I didn't think I was rescuing my Boxer from her breeder.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:34:07 AM EDT
[#11]
All of our dogs have been "used".
My wife bought an abused collie from a puppy mill because they were going to euthanize it.
We got a retired greyhound after that dog died.
Our current dog was purchased from the pound.
Each and every one has been a great dog and I wish the first two were still around.
No 'rescues' at all.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:37:43 AM EDT
[#12]
My dog is an arfcom rescue. I  helped deliver her to her first home. She did not get along with the cat . I took her in and she is amazing.  I have helped deliver others.  Find the Joker threads.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:38:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Shelter receives dog.  Shelter takes dog to vet.  Shelter finds temporary placement for dog.  Shelter has website to find people who want dog.  Shelter has employees that verify people who want dog.  Shelter needs money to perform said activities.  Nothing is free.

$190 paid without regret.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w41/n00g77/Loki_zps7eo3fgni.jpg

View Quote

This!  +1
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:39:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've been working in the pet industry almost a decade.

It's amazing to me to see how many "rescue" dogs people have, that are really "adoptions" from the shelter. Better phrasing would be cheaply purchased dogs.

I know there's a lot of "rescue" groups out there, and I donate a lot of food and treats to the local ones, but when a group takes money for placing a dog, you are not rescuing the dog, you are purchasing it.

To me, a rescue dog is the Collie I hopped a fence for, and trimmed an ingrown nail, ruining a brand new pair of jeans with the blood.

The rescue is the dogfight in a back alley my friend saw, and took that throw away dog, and spent a few thousand nursing it back to health.

If you get your dog from a shelter, or rescue group, and have to pay, it's not a rescue, you are purchasing a dog.

You pay a fee, and buy a dog.

You aren't rescuing a dog, you're buying a dog.

No different than people who research a breed, search out reputable breeders, and buy a puppy based on what they want in a dog.
View Quote

I get what you mean, I see it a lot too on Facebook and its sort of in line when someone happens to find someones facebook open and write something on their wall that says "zoommgggg hacked!"  No, its not the same.  A rescue dog are the dogs that people actually capture, from a less than desirable environment, takes in, and turns its life around completely.  I think people coin and use the term "rescue" because its caught on and is the norm household wording.  Just like "drone", when really its just an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle.  I hate it just as much as you do.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:39:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My current dog is a rescue.  She was taken by animal control from a house with many animals, all underfed, the dogs had been fighting amongst themselves, or were goaded into fighting.  She's about the most gentle dog I've ever owned, scared of everything and just happy to lay on a bed and not be starved, bitten or beat.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60401942/Rosie.jpg

View Quote

I have an aussie that came from a similar background. Took her ot of a home at 9 week (vets best guess) completely emaciated, flee ridden to the point that she had no hair down her back, worms. Just plain sad really. The dog was completely neglected from the start. Her siblings died shortly after being taken from the home, it was just too late for them. The lady also had approximately 90 cats and was looking at animal neglect charges in another state at the time that i took my new friend in... i would say i rescued her, but thats not what i refer to her as...
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:45:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Every dog I have ever had has been a therapy dog, every day. Thank God for dogs!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My colleague has "anxiety," so needs a dog to help cope. She is 25, has a great job, lives in a safe place, no ex is out to kill her, etc. What happens when life actually does throw a curveball (like no food in the stores)? What will people like her do?

I think it's a special program, which probably means someone else pays for it. Even if her insurance paid for it, that's wrong because I want a dog, too, but maybe I can't afford one. That is why I take exception to this...
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:56:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Kill shelter in NC

I'd call that a rescue... they went in there, got her out - I paid to have her brought up to me. No one is going to do anything for free so I have no problems paying them the money they laid out (probably less than....)

damn good dag

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:03:56 AM EDT
[#18]
They gotta pay the light bill somehow.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:11:04 AM EDT
[#19]
The rescue organizations are often nonprofits.  Monetary exchange for their services can be labelled as "buying" but the intent is different.    Nobody is going to buy a 3 year old mutt in a pet store or from a breeder.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:16:26 AM EDT
[#20]
2 of my dogs (one since passed) came from a co-worker of my wife who was planning to have them put down because she couldn't keep them anymore.  The other one spent almost 2 years in the shelter after being found abandoned in an apartment.  Both cases I would call rescue.  My in-laws do fostering for a local rescue group and have wound up with 2 more dogs because of it.

Paying a shelter or rescue group for a dog helps them continue to do what they do, and also helps discourage scumbags from taking free dogs to fight them or whatever other evil things they do.  Even with adoption fees, most shelters and rescues barely get by and rely on volunteers and donations.  As others have said, nothing's free.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:33:06 AM EDT
[#21]
I didn't pay a dime for either of these two. The blue heeler I got from an old lady after her husband died and she couldn't take care of it, and the big black one we got as a puppy after it was dumped off at the horse barn at the county fair along with the rest of it's litter.

But I would disagree on your definition. If you are paying an adoption fee from the pound for a dog that would be put to sleep if you didn't "rescue" it, it's still a rescue

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:36:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Slims, you're in for some schooling once Joker1 sees this.  

Meet Butters.

Not only did Joker1 find him at a shelter where would have been put down, but he bent over backwards to train him for my families specific needs.  He rescued Butters and got him to a good home states away or else he would be dead by now.  Joker1 does this all of the time, and it costs him money to do it.  

Butters was rescued.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:43:25 AM EDT
[#23]
This is a pretty strange thread
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:44:11 AM EDT
[#24]
My dogs are rescues, but I don't say I rescued them. My old girl had been a stray in north Philly, and I adopted her from the pound.  My current boy has been locked up in the back of a Korean laundromat, and I adopted him from a rescue in NY.

Someone else did the actual rescue legwork, a gave them a check and gave the dog a warm place to sleep.

I have rescued cats from the streets in Philly. One was way too friendly for his own good, took him in, took him to the vet, and now my ex's parents have him. Did same with a tiny kitten we found with a broken leg. Took to vet, kept it safe until its leg healed, and now it is terrorizing friends back in Philly. A few others I took in for a few days and took to a shelter.  Philly has a lot of street cats...
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:44:31 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm pretty sure my pound puppy likes being rescued instead of getting the eventual needle

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:48:36 AM EDT
[#26]
If you didn't get your dog from a breeder, you rescued him from the shelter/animal rescue.

My dogs came from the local akita rescue.  Yes, I rescued them.  Gave them a better life, gave them love, territory to guard/play in/etc.  Gave them a family.

You don't call that rescuing them?  
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:16:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I think it's a special program, which probably means someone else pays for it. Even if her insurance paid for it, that's wrong because I want a dog, too, but maybe I can't afford one. That is why I take exception to this...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because only vets have legitimate anxiety? Some nasty shit may have happened to her or she may have been raised wrong or she may just be born anxious the way some folks are born schizophrenic or cross eyed. If the dog helps her, then she's more pleasant to deal with and more effective in life.

My dog isn't a therapy dog, but he does so much to keep me happy and social, he's worth a lot to the people who have to deal with me.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:26:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I've been working in the pet industry almost a decade.

It's amazing to me to see how many "rescue" dogs people have, that are really "adoptions" from the shelter. Better phrasing would be cheaply purchased dogs.

I know there's a lot of "rescue" groups out there, and I donate a lot of food and treats to the local ones, but when a group takes money for placing a dog, you are not rescuing the dog, you are purchasing it.

To me, a rescue dog is the Collie I hopped a fence for, and trimmed an ingrown nail, ruining a brand new pair of jeans with the blood.

The rescue is the dogfight in a back alley my friend saw, and took that throw away dog, and spent a few thousand nursing it back to health.

If you get your dog from a shelter, or rescue group, and have to pay, it's not a rescue, you are purchasing a dog.

You pay a fee, and buy a dog.

You aren't rescuing a dog, you're buying a dog.

No different than people who research a breed, search out reputable breeders, and buy a puppy based on what they want in a dog.
View Quote

What part of the pet industry do you work in where you don't understand why there's adoption fees, and that not having fees actually endangers the animal?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:55:53 AM EDT
[#29]

From left to right.
Rescued 6 yrs ago from Hattiesburg, MS. was surrendered after owners had a child.
Rescued 3 months ago after being thrown from a vehicle in the middle of  busy road in Tyler, TX.
Rescued 8 yrs ago from Mobile, AL. was found as a bait dog in a Rich and Vibrant part of town.

Yes there are fees, they were vetted and altered and that costs,even if it is discounted in some cases.
We've fostered dogs for our local SPCA and they provide everything from food and toys to any meds needed.
Those meager fees are well spent.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:03:13 AM EDT
[#30]

My dog is a rescue dog in the sense that someone went and took her away from some asshole that was letting her starve.
They gave her to me. I'm glad they did. Katy is a great dog.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:50:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Finally rescue groups are now starting to emphasize saving older dogs.  After all who wants to get attached to a dog that might not live very long?  Well, there are people who do that knowing they are probably headed for heartbreak.  Those are the good people on earth.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:01:05 PM EDT
[#32]
This subject is one that is very emotional to me.  Why are so many (millions?) of dogs dumped by the people who should protect that dog?

If you have ever seen the Sarah McClaughin (spelling) and sad looking dogs in a shelter, I can't watch it.  I commend those who get a dog from a kill shelter....or any group that seeks to rehome dogs.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:10:05 PM EDT
[#33]
NVM
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:10:31 PM EDT
[#34]
I used to be against kill shelters, but then I went to one and talked with someone who worked there. They really are caught between a rock and a hard place in my area, they are never below 100% capacity. They try to get dogs/other animals out of there and into homes, but there are just too many. That's why I get irritated when people purchase and finance out these high end accessory dogs from the breeders. They are contributing to the problem.

It is a sad reality, but it seems few people think twice about dumping animals.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:16:12 PM EDT
[#35]
My sister gets dogs off the "kill list"brings them home,finds an owner for them then goes and get another.She has two dogs that are her's and a rotating stock of 3 others.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:16:22 PM EDT
[#36]
My dog was a pound puppy ,she's almost 7 years old now. Shes still cute !

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:18:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Mine is a "cheap dog I bought from the county".

But yeah, the "rescue" thing sounds weird to me sometimes.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:21:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Probably.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably.

Nope. Was drunk and frustrated with some stupid ass customers from my store. The whole "rescue" mantra in my mind is played out. I have a dog from a puppy mill raid, but never would refer to him as a rescue dog, because it seems like people who use the rescue label often use it to make their dogs bad behavior acceptable.

I'm not saying that's any of the people who've posted, but after a day of having to deal with some real obnoxious owners of "rescue" dogs, that are really nothing more than pound adoptions, I needed to vent.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:24:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
A lot of these "groups" actually do rescue dogs from high-kill pounds, often at the last minute.

Then they spend money rehabilitating them.

I have two, and they ARE rescue.
View Quote

This is where two of my GSD's came from.  Both were dumped, ended up with A/C, and were pulled out by VGSR.

The third GSD we got at the vet, his owner had him in to be euthanized due to personality/behavioral issues with other dogs (he is fine with people).  He improved greatly after his brain surgery and a year of socialization.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:25:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Finally rescue groups are now starting to emphasize saving older dogs.  After all who wants to get attached to a dog that might not live very long?  Well, there are people who do that knowing they are probably headed for heartbreak.  Those are the good people on earth.
View Quote

While I don't classify myself as the 'good people ', far from it actually, I have been snooping around local shelters a bit specifically for an older dog.  Reasons being, my lifestyle is a bit more conducive to older dog, and I figure the puppies and young dogs likely have a much better chance of getting placed so I'll take the old folks.

Funny this thread came up, I spent the morning reading up on those dog-bicycle-trailer things so I could tow an old dog around on the bike paths.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:29:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Nope. Was drunk and frustrated with some stupid ass customers from my store. The whole "rescue" mantra in my mind is played out. I have a dog from a puppy mill raid, but never would refer to him as a rescue dog, because it seems like people who use the rescue label often use it to make their dogs bad behavior acceptable.

I'm not saying that's any of the people who've posted, but after a day of having to deal with some real obnoxious owners of "rescue" dogs, that are really nothing more than pound adoptions, I needed to vent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably.

Drunk posters suck.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:36:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I used to be against kill shelters, but then I went to one and talked with someone who worked there. They really are caught between a rock and a hard place in my area, they are never below 100% capacity. They try to get dogs/other animals out of there and into homes, but there are just too many. That's why I get irritated when people purchase and finance out these high end accessory dogs from the breeders. They are contributing to the problem.

View Quote

No, we aren't. There are those of us that, for whatever reason, want a well bred dog from a reputable breeder. We are not going to find said well bred dog, especially not a well bred puppy, down at our local shelter. Considering that a shelter animal is far cheaper, more easily acquired, and readily available, the people purchasing from reputable breeders have already likely considered the idea of a shelter animal and rejected it for whatever reason. Not every home is appropriate for a shelter animal.

It is also the case that reputable breeders (and often their buyers) are very active in the rescue community. Not only do they take back any animal they have bred, should the owners no longer be able to keep it, but they also go into shelters and pull animals of their chosen breed (that they have no connection to beyond breed), foster, and rehome those animals. Reputable breeders are some of the best resources these animals have, as they know the breed's quirks and requirements and are adept at screening homes for appropriateness for the particular breed in question.

Reputable breeders aren't the problem. Indiscriminate owners that let their dogs breed at will over and over and over again are part of the problem, as are people that see pets as disposable commodities to be thrown away once they are no longer cute and convenient.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:44:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Reputable breeders aren't the problem. Indiscriminate owners that let their dogs breed at will over and over and over again are part of the problem, as are people that see pets as disposable commodities to be thrown away once they are no longer cute and convenient.
View Quote

That is likely the problem.   I got my white GSD from a breeder as a puppy.  Can I really expect to get that specific breed from the Humane Society?  

I don't know if the problem will ever be significantly reduced.   I am a responsible dog owner and my boy is family.   I cannot imagine ever giving him up or dumping him.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:49:05 PM EDT
[#44]
I "rescued" my Bengal from a small apartment occupied by two fat girls and seven other cats. My cat was beating up all the others.

OP, you work at the pet store with the "French phrase" pun for a name, right? Your store was the first place I stopped in after getting my cat.

Sure as shit, the lady helping me asked how I got the cat and for some goddamn reason I reflexively say "He's a rescue" and my inner monologue began questioning what the fuck was wrong with me. I felt like such a douche.

Never have I used that phrase again.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:49:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Mine is a "cheap dog I bought from the county".

But yeah, the "rescue" thing sounds weird to me sometimes.
View Quote

Well, at least he likes peanut butter.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:51:42 PM EDT
[#46]
It's a dog that someone feels like they rescued from a life "not as good" as deserved, or one that "rescues" a person from the same.
Doesn't have to be any more complicated than that.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:53:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

No, we aren't. There are those of us that, for whatever reason, want a well bred dog from a reputable breeder. We are not going to find said well bred dog, especially not a well bred puppy, down at our local shelter. Considering that a shelter animal is far cheaper, more easily acquired, and readily available, the people purchasing from reputable breeders have already likely considered the idea of a shelter animal and rejected it for whatever reason. Not every home is appropriate for a shelter animal.

It is also the case that reputable breeders (and often their buyers) are very active in the rescue community. Not only do they take back any animal they have bred, should the owners no longer be able to keep it, but they also go into shelters and pull animals of their chosen breed (that they have no connection to beyond breed), foster, and rehome those animals. Reputable breeders are some of the best resources these animals have, as they know the breed's quirks and requirements and are adept at screening homes for appropriateness for the particular breed in question.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

I had very specific criteria for our dog .

I got what I wanted, then got all the crap for not saving an 7 year old boxer when I wanted a puppy to raise as my son's companion
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:54:21 PM EDT
[#48]
I like big mutts and I cannot lie

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:57:43 PM EDT
[#49]
One of ours was roaming the streets of Phoenix when my wife brought him home, another has a hare lip and we didn't want to see him destroyed.
The hare lip one is the nicest dog you can imagine, he just follows my wife around and stares at her.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:05:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

That is likely the problem.   I got my white GSD from a breeder as a puppy.  Can I really expect to get that specific breed from the Humane Society?  

I don't know if the problem will ever be significantly reduced.   I am a responsible dog owner and my boy is family.   I cannot imagine ever giving him up or dumping him.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear ya.

We're looking at buying a Scottish Deerhound later this year. There are less than 20 litters of those born in the entire country annually, sometimes less than 10. They simply do not show up in rescue situations. Why? Reputable, ethical breeders that steward their breed very carefully. Should the breed go extinct because it lacks shitty breeders? What kind of sense does that make?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top