Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2015 9:05:01 PM EDT
I'll be purchasing a new vehicle in a few months and I want to upgrade my stereo while I am at it.

I'm looking at a Pioneer DEH-80PRS for a source unit, possibly either CDT audio or morel 6.5" seperates in front (no rear speakers), and image dynamics amplifiers. Haven't decided on subs yet. I can't believe that more companies aren't putting Burr Brown DACs in their head units anymore. Pioneer is the only company I could find that advertises them.

What you running and how do you like it?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:09:21 PM EDT
[#1]

Since this is GD and I have nothing to add I'll just leave a picture of my non-high end audio equipment as a tag for interest.

ETA:  No, I am not going to change this out but I have another vehicle in mind.

-p.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:12:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Since this is GD and I have nothing to add I'll just leave a picture of my non-high end audio equipment as a tag for interest.

<a href="http://s4.photobucket.com/user/phuzzygnu/media/20150703_144146_zpsubvuyvlh.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/phuzzygnu/20150703_144146_zpsubvuyvlh.jpg</a>

-p.

View Quote

It...looks nice....
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:12:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Doesn't get any more high end than this.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:14:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s4.photobucket.com/user/phuzzygnu/media/20150703_144146_zpsubvuyvlh.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/phuzzygnu/20150703_144146_zpsubvuyvlh.jpg</a>

-p.

View Quote

1985 GMC pickup ?

ETA: outside is 2 tone brown/ tan right?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:18:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

1985 GMC pickup ?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-p.

1985 GMC pickup ?

You just described my DD from when I started driving in 95 until 99, when gas went over a buck a gallon.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:22:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You just described my DD from when I started driving in 95 until 99, when gas went over a buck a gallon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-p.

1985 GMC pickup ?

My dad bought his new. Been passed around the family ever since. 2 engines, 3 trans, and 2 rear ends. We guess body has well over 400,000 on it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:24:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Nakamichi
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:25:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I have this Alpine in my Camaro.  

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:27:17 PM EDT
[#9]
And to answer OP's question. I have a Pioneer super tuner III , and all 4 speakers are all kickers. Have a 8" bass tube under the back seat.

Nothing special, but it works for me.

2004 GMC Sierra ext cab
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:29:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Had a Kraco 8 Track and Sparkomatic coaxials in my '68 Chevelle!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:31:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm running Hybrid Audio Imagine series speakers in my Tacoma. I'm a fan. Not an audiophile so I don't really know much else to say other than they produce some beautiful music.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:35:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX in my 2004 F-150

8 pioneer component speakers, powered by a 4-channel amp and a 10" Pioneer subwoofer powered by a bridged two channel amp

Doors and floors are covered in Dynamat.

Oh and a custom made dock to hold and plug my iPhone into the system.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:36:46 PM EDT
[#13]
CDT makes awesome speakers.

I've got a Kenwood GPS unit in my truck. I wanted to upgrade everything, but life got in the way and haven't had the chance to since.

I really like the Kenwood unit because it uses Garmin maps that I can update myself. Pioneer kinda rubbed me the wrong way with one of their GPS units back in 2008. I'm sure the new ones are fine, but I believe it was their first time to do everything map wise themselves. Kinda like Apple Maps vs Googe Maps at the time.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:42:14 PM EDT
[#14]
This one. Connects via Bluetooth to my phone or plugs in and has full Pandora controls. I can also answer my phone hands free, love it.
Alpine
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:46:42 PM EDT
[#15]
don't know if they qualify as high end but the best sounding subs I personally owned were JLs. Even the low end w3s sound better than most others I have heard. My favorite sounding vehicle I owned was a blazer with 2 JL10w7s. I sure do miss them speakers.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:18:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Clarion flip out HU (upgraded with 5.1 surround center channel and add-on EQ), line driver to help out with less than stellar output signal of a flip out, Alumapro cap with 200A stinger relay since the 220A alt blew the Alumapro one, Bravox 6.5 comp set in glass kicks, pair of 8" ED subs running as mids, pair of Kicker 15s from before Kicker got teh ghey, 4 channel running comps/mids, pair of bridged 2 channels run the subs.
It seems like an SPL system with the 15s until you actually hear it and find it's not a bad SQ setup.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:27:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Sorry, can't help.
I have a convertible with the highest quality factory sound system available when I bought it - and with the top down it still sounds like a 1965 transistor radio.....

I love high quality audio in my home, but I've never understood why anyone would waste money on audio in a vehicle above the factory best....
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:33:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'll be purchasing a new vehicle in a few months and I want to upgrade my stereo while I am at it.

I'm looking at a Pioneer DEH-80PRS for a source unit, possibly either CDT audio or morel 6.5" seperates in front (no rear speakers), and image dynamics amplifiers. Haven't decided on subs yet. I can't believe that more companies aren't putting Burr Brown DACs in their head units anymore. Pioneer is the only company I could find that advertises them.

View Quote

"separates"
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:36:11 PM EDT
[#19]
i have an HK on my 535i and B&O on the 650i gran coupe
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:10:22 AM EDT
[#20]
I normally end up with Memphis components for subs and speakers, and the head unit varies.  In my current truck I have Memphis subs in the back and factory Bose.

In another truck I took everything out replaced with Memphis speakers, added Memphis subs and put an alpine Bluetooth head unit in
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:25:38 AM EDT
[#21]
I have all kinds of stuff. Been sitting around for years.

Eclipse 8051 HU
SoundStream Reference 500 and 604
Audio Control DSP and Epicenter
JL Audio 10W7 x2 in the HO ported enclosures
Peerless Exclusive
Some tweeters, I forget which ones.

I might have other stuff too like Fosgate punch 200 and 4040 and a US Amps 2000x but I think I gave that stuff to a relative years ago.

I really need to get off my butt and sell that stuff one day.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:17:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

"separates"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"separates"

Oh my. Pardon me

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:25:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
don't know if they qualify as high end but the best sounding subs I personally owned were JLs. Even the low end w3s sound better than most others I have heard. My favorite sounding vehicle I owned was a blazer with 2 JL10w7s. I sure do miss them speakers.
View Quote

I used to install a lot of those w7s when they first came out. JL makes some really nice stuff.

I am currently running some REALLY old JL audio XR components in the front. I've always been really happy with them, and have driven them really hard so they are starting to wear out. I'm getting a little buzzing on some tracks that I don't think is coming from my door panels. Those are being powered by a 4 channel eclipse amplifier. I used to have a nicer Alpine CD player, but it died on me last year. It was about 12 years old. To stay on the cheap I'm currently running 2 sundown E series 10s running off of a hifonics amp. It sounds OK, but I definitely want to upgrade.

I picked up everything I have now on a low budget and it sounds decent for what it is, but the components are getting dated. I'd like to run a FI audio Q sub but I'm not yet sure if I would be happier with a more specialized sq sub like something from CDT, morel, focal, or ID.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:26:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Sorry, can't help.I have a convertible with the highest quality factory sound system available when I bought it - and with the top down it still sounds like a 1965 transistor radio.....
I love high quality audio in my home, but I've never understood why anyone would waste money on audio in a vehicle above the factory best....
View Quote

The same reason why your stereo sounds like shit with the top down: I like loud music but very clear sounding. There's not many factory system that can do this.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:29:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Sorry, can't help.I have a convertible with the highest quality factory sound system available when I bought it - and with the top down it still sounds like a 1965 transistor radio.....
View Quote

I'm trying to break into some nicer home audio stuff as well. I used to never have time to enjoy it at home, but on the rare occasion that I do I'd like to have something nice.

I've never been a big fan of any factory audio systems, but I have heard that the newer vehicles tend to have nicer sounding stereos then they used to. I've never met one that couldn't be vastly improved with some high quality aftermarket components and a little tuning. Car audio definitely presents a lot of challenges for staging but a very nice sounding system can be done without a ton of trouble.

Probably the nicest sounding setup I've ever heard was an old MB Quart demo car about 15 years ago (when MB Quart was a high end brand before they were bought out by Maxxsonics). The sound was beautiful and the midbass was to die for.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:30:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

The real question is why you think a Burr Brown DAC is the end all be all DAC.
Id put my Kenwood x996 head unit up against a pioneer head unit any day.

Also, Im a fan of Audison/Hertz for speakers/amps. IMO its the best stuff out there.
So much of car Audio is the setup though. You can have the nicest hardware but without the proper setup/tweaking it will never reach its full potential.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:42:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Also, Im a fan of Audison/Hertz for speakers/amps. IMO its the best stuff out there.
So much of car Audio is the setup though. You can have the nicest hardware but without the proper setup/tweaking it will never reach its full potential.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm partial to Burr Brown's. I did a side by side comparison of head units in my own vehicle a lot of years ago. It was plug and play right after one another. One was a standard Sony unit with whatever DAC they were using, the next was an ES line with Burr Brown and the difference was night and day. I know there is a lot of argument over what's better than the next, but after that I was a true believer in the BB.

I know components are only a part of the equation. I will be spending plenty of time tweaking, tuning, deadening, and fabricating.

That part is the most fun next to shopping.

I would LOVE to get some Audison amplifers, but they are a bit out of my budget. I had considered Hertz speakers as well as I've seen some good reviews on them.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:48:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The same reason why your stereo sounds like shit with the top down: I like loud music but very clear sounding. There's not many factory system that can do this.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

hi.

it's called acoustics..

speakers are placed to bounce music around the INSIDE of something..
when you take away all the surfaces that they bounce off of, the sound waves just travel straight.. (out of your vehicle)

I've never understood how people cannot understand that science is everywhere and effects everything we do..you should have paid attention in High School.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top