Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 245
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:32:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm glad to see that we will still have the same level of complaining as every other season.
View Quote

Was there any doubt?
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:34:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Fire would work.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That would waste just too much ammo.

Fire would work.

The got tons of trees and shrubbery, wouldn't even need to use much gas
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:39:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Exactly, the quarry was a magnet. Like a giant antlion trap.  Seal off the exits, would have been easier than building those diverting walls!  Then Burn them in place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't believe Rick thought this was a good idea.  Like fucking with a hornet's nest.  Keep them as contained as possible.  Then use the gas they spent luring them away to burn them.  Or better yet let them be.

Exactly, the quarry was a magnet. Like a giant antlion trap.  Seal off the exits, would have been easier than building those diverting walls!  Then Burn them in place.

Yep, and the "no seal will hold" opinion rick has is false. will a barrier like the trucks fail? yes. Is a quarry pretty much a. unclimbable pit as long as you blow the ramps up or bulldoze them? yes.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:40:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:40:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yep, and the "no seal will hold" opinion rick has is false. will a barrier like the trucks fail? yes. Is a quarry pretty much a. unclimbable pit as long as you blow the ramps up or bulldoze them? yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't believe Rick thought this was a good idea.  Like fucking with a hornet's nest.  Keep them as contained as possible.  Then use the gas they spent luring them away to burn them.  Or better yet let them be.

Yep, sure would be a better seal than spreading them over miles of interstate, and hoping they all follow the road
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:45:22 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Michone did in fact take his power bar when they were at Morgans house of crazy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Some pretty funny scenes this time. I hope they find a peanut butter bar.

Michone did in fact take his power bar when they were at Morgans house of crazy.

Yep she did. I watched Talking Dead and they talked about it.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:52:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Where are all the "kid" walkers?

That huge herd and not one young 5-15 year old.

Seeing a herd of little "kid" walkers would be effective in scaring the shit out of people.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:53:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Great season opener but they always do have a good one. It's the next 12 that I worry about.

Horatio Hornblower will be the kid who's dad Rick killed and who's mother Rick has been sniffing around.
View Quote

I think it's the wolves blowing the horn.

Good opener, but needs more Maggie time
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:03:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Seems like they have plenty of ammo… why not just snipe thewalkers in the pit? Seems a lot less risky than the Pied Piper of Hamelin approach.

View Quote

Looked like too many walkers to actually do any real damage sniping them.

Should have used some gas, if not enough gas get Eugene to whip up some flaming liquid that he Macgyver'd out of something seeing how he's a smart guy, make a few molotov cocktails, dump some gas on a few walkers and dump some dry brush at different spots and instead of wasting those flares use them to ignite some of the walkers that you doused in gas. Get an air horn or two and tape the button down, toss a few in the middle and let them go to that while they burn and catch the others on fire. Repeat as necessary every so often.

The only problem with the fire is others will see the smoke and may go investigate where it's coming from but no different than shooting off flares that people will definite investigate.
I don't get leading them out of the pit unless they had some place else to take them. Leading them away isn't going to do much when some other noise turns them around
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:50:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Don't post about shit you know nothing about
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Regarding the walls...

I seem to have found "an answer" of sorts.  Steel is stronger against tension vs. compression.  Basically it's harder to pull steel apart than it is to compress it and crumple it.  

Still, it seems like it'd be an easy ramp for an enemy to run up and breach the wall.

lol

It was a Google....dude.

Apparently the external supports were noticed by quite a few folks who questioned why, and some engineers came up with the above reason.   Steel has greater tensile strength than compressive strength.

If you read the few post that came before mine, you would have seen that I asked the question "why?".   Since no one had a good answer either, I Googled it...

It's not my explanation.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:53:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

There was a little kid sized zombie that was shown in silhouette in the battered women's shelter a couple of seasons ago. I suspect a horde of crawling newborn zombies escaping a nicu unit would do wonders towards assuring there was no season 7  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Originally Posted By mrgrinc

Or infant zombies
There was a little kid sized zombie that was shown in silhouette in the battered women's shelter a couple of seasons ago. I suspect a horde of crawling newborn zombies escaping a nicu unit would do wonders towards assuring there was no season 7  
Z Nation had a baby zombie (it eluded a character, then eventually killed him, and had to be offed) that turned after they found an infant in one of the first few episodes.

They have a second season starting this fall....
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:06:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It's a functional housing development. Another reason may likely be because of resale value, assuming the walls stay. A more likely reason is for filming purposes. There were a couple scenes where characters walked along the inside of the wall. The supports would disrupt the shots.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Regarding the walls...

I seem to have found "an answer" of sorts.  Steel is stronger against tension vs. compression.  Basically it's harder to pull steel apart than it is to compress it and crumple it.  

Still, it seems like it'd be an easy ramp for an enemy to run up and breach the wall.

It's a functional housing development. Another reason may likely be because of resale value, assuming the walls stay. A more likely reason is for filming purposes. There were a couple scenes where characters walked along the inside of the wall. The supports would disrupt the shots.

The walls are not permanent. The supports are on the outside so they are less of a nuisance to the residents.

The Senoia City Council voted unanimously Monday to extend the wall permit and road closures for filming of AMC network hit show “The Walking Dead” until Nov. 30, 2015, with the option for annual renewals through 2019.Times-Herald
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:07:49 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I could have cleared those zeds in a day.   Have a few shooters set up on the highest wall of the quarry.  As many loaded 22 mags as you have.   Snipe until lunch time.   No more zed problem.   It would be safer and hella fun.

I'm glad TWD is back.   Fear got OK at the end, but even though I have my gripes about the show often it's head and shoulders better than fear.
View Quote
Fear just started, TWD has six seasons of character development. TWD back in Season 1 was very similar to FTWD is slow character development.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:14:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes, I felt that herding them was pretty reckless. Sure, you draw them away and set them initially in another direction that they travel 20 miles in, but once you abandon them what is to keep them from simply turning around at some point and colliding with Alexandria?

The strengthen the barricades and then employ fire similar to what the Governor did with his ditches, but only on an industrial scale.  It would have been a lot of work transporting materials and fuel to the location, but I think it would have been doable with the man power they had.  Especially considering that the semi-truck barriers were not breached until after they had set-up their barricade wall so that same time and effort could have been used to instead barricade the pit.  

What's more is that it was drawing them into that area and could have been used again and again for the same purpose.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:35:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Andrea in the comics is a hard core sniper badass.

Andrea on the TV show was a wet fart masked by perfume.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Isn't Rick hooked up with michonne in the comics?

Andrea, who is still alive

How is she still alive?

Yep. Replaced by Carol.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:38:53 AM EDT
[#16]
I liked her more when she off'ed herself in the prison.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:42:27 AM EDT
[#17]
I don't think burning them would work at all. A person dies from fire because they breathe in smoke and heat and it damages their respitory system or their skin in burned which lets in infection and messes up the bodies ability to regulate temperature. None of that bothers a walker. To kill a walker you would need the fire to damage their brain or their muscle/skeletal system. A human body is composed of like 90% water which means they don't actually burn very well. You might be able to do it but the fuel amounts would be huge. Molotov cocktails and tree branches thrown from the quarry's edge ain't going to do it in my opinion.

The pied piper routine wasn't a bad plan. They are looking at that quarry like an old dam that already has a bunch of leaks and looks like it is ready to give way. They can try to patch things up but they will always have to worry about something giving way unexpectedly. Rick's method was to let them out at the time of their choosing when they were ready to try to control their movement and when they had the approaches to their town sealed off.

The ideas about sealing the quarry off using explosives or heavy equipment seem pretty good but that would require special equipment and knowledge which they may or may not have. Also the big problem seemed to be that the ground leading up from the quarry was unstable so they didn't know what erosion might do. I would have liked to seem them build walls angled to funnel the walkers off the ledge on the road out of the quarry. The put a small animal in a cage or some other attention getter and hang it off the side as bait for the walkers to go over the edge. That way you don't have to lead them away but do get rid of the problem.

I think Gabriel tried to screw everyone once again by hitting the horn. I think it was just in the prior episode that he tried to kill himself and then left the gate open so walkers got in. Now he is the odd man out with everyone. Rick's group knows what he did, Deanna said he was wrong, and the rest of the town seems to be warming up to Rick after initially listening to Gabriel. He offered to help with the herd but was immediately shut down by Rick showing he isn't being let back into the circle of trust anytime soon. He also isn't accounted for and would have known the basic plan which would explain why the horn seemed to sound at about the worst possible moment.

The son of porchdick probably wasn't the horn blower since his mother and younger brother are in the town and their is no reason to think he wants them torn apart by walkers. He's pissed at Rick but I don't think he is the "kill everyone" kind of pissed. I'm not buying Carl's new GF as a spy since she has been living there for months which is like decades in apocalypse time.

Anyone else notice Morgan's book "The Art of Peace" amazon description? I think he must have met up with some sort of Kwai Chang Caine type individual. Tells us a lot about his new found philosophy.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:46:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So his whole idea was to just lead them out into the open, and trick them into walking away from Alexandria? Basically sending a horde free on the loose? BRILLIANT!!

Shoulda barbecued them in place, or used some of those tractors to squish them.
View Quote

After watching the walkers deglove themselves going between the trailers, why not just open the space a bit and put big-assed blades between them? Morgan is something of a walker trap expert, you'd think he would have some ideas.

At worst, you'd have to put a clean up detail on the pit trap to keep it from getting clogged.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:47:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Oh dear. I did not even think of that

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Probably fucking ron. That kids a son of a porch dick.

I think it is Carl's crazy girlfriend, who is a part of the Wolves

Oh dear. I did not even think of that

Not a spoiler but just in case.
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:54:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fire would work.

Fire. Doesn't. Work.  Has no one been watching this show?  You'd just have burnt Zeds.  You need to put a hole in their brain.  Why do you think they always stab them in their heads?  Sheesh.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:07:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Starting to agree with whoever suggested a big ole 4x4 cab John Deere and a 12' disk could do a whole lot of damage to one of those herds in the street.  Or at least whack it down to a more manageable size.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:21:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

lol

It was a Google....dude.

Apparently the external supports were noticed by quite a few folks who questioned why, and some engineers came up with the above reason.   Steel has greater tensile strength than compressive strength.

If you read the few post that came before mine, you would have seen that I asked the question "why?".   Since no one had a good answer either, I Googled it...

It's not my explanation.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Regarding the walls...

lol

It was a Google....dude.

It's not my explanation.

Simple explanation:
Steel is equally strong in tension as it is compression. What causes steel to fail in compression is "buckling".  So depending on how slender the steel beam is, it has the potential to fail sooner than the straight up strength of the material would realize.  You can brace steel to resist buckling (like the floor beams in a skyscraper brace the columns).  Doubling The unbraced length of a at steel beam or column cuts the resistance to buckling by a factor of 4.

Now another thing to consider are the foundations. If you put the steel as is on the show. You have to resist the beam pulling out of the ground.  This is simply done with a heavy concrete pad which you place the beam in during casting or relying on the skin friction of steel to soil if you stick it directly in the ground.  

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:23:22 AM EDT
[#23]
The herd on the road got me thinking that a Semi truck with a cow catcher, hell maybe an angled plate mounted to the front designed to knock the walkers down and under the tires would be pretty effective at killing or immobilizing a lot of them.  Get them all grouped up, drive through them crushing or killing them and the put the bait bike/car out in front to form them up the un scathed walkers again.  Go down the road and do it again.  Any walkers that weren't killed by having their brain crushed should be a pretty easy immobility kill by a follow up team with blunt or pointy objects (a spear or staff would appear to work well) after the herd has moved further down the road.  Repeat with bait bike/car, semi and follow up kill team in a pied piper leap frog of cleansing the un dead.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:23:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Season 6 is gonna be good.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:23:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yep. Replaced by Carol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. Replaced by Carol.

I think that Sasha is intended to be the Andrea replacement. She has the sniper thing going on and she has the angst / PTSD thing as well. She also was the one pulling sniper duty in the tower (which Andrea does in the comics).

TV Carol has become kind of a creation of the TV show like Daryl. She really has no comics counterpart at this point.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:30:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Motherdick on set was priceless.

We need to see more of that... even with the pants half off.
View Quote

WAT?!?!
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:55:37 AM EDT
[#27]

I think they are kind of going over board with Carol on the show.
She's now some grade A SEAL,RANGER, GREEN BERET type person now.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:08:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Should've somehow led those walkers in a big loop off the cliff, or napalmed them in place. Or shit, go find a big D10 dozer and just plow through them all. That was a rock quarry so it stands to reason there'd be some heavy equipment nearby.

Anyways, I liked this episode overall. Seriously need to stop cocking and decocking Glocks though.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:10:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Should've somehow led those walkers in a big loop off the cliff, or napalmed them in place. Or shit, go find a big D10 dozer and just plow through them all. That was a rock quarry so it stands to reason there'd be some heavy equipment nearby.

Anyways, I liked this episode overall. Seriously need to stop cocking and decocking Glocks though.
View Quote

Yeah, that was pretty gay.  Prior to pointing a pistol at somebody's head, it must make the double action hammer cocking sound from a Colt SAA.

I've been saying from the beginning.  A big ass front end loader or bulldozer would solve too many problems on that show to make it continue to be interesting.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:14:42 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Yeah, that was pretty gay.  Prior to pointing a pistol at somebody's head, it must make the double action hammer cocking sound from a Colt SAA.

I've been saying from the beginning.  A big ass front end loader or bulldozer would solve too many problems on that show to make it continue to be interesting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Can you imagine how AWESOME that episode would've been? Holy cow, a big CAT D10 mowing the grass, the tracks pulverizing walkers underneath while Rick and Co. pick off stragglers with suppressed rifles and keep any buildup from allowing walkers to climb up to the cab. Break for lunch, refuel, reload, then dig back in. Holy fuck that would've been a grand episode!
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:23:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Just saw it this morning. What a big difference between this show and FTWD. Just a lot better.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:24:52 PM EDT
[#32]
just need to fashion a giant poking device.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:27:10 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Just saw it this morning. What a big difference between this show and FTWD. Just a lot better.
View Quote

Yeah I agree. FTWD is still worth watching but TWD is more up my alley.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:31:38 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Rick has a different baby..lol
View Quote
Lookin' more like Shane everyday..

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:37:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great season opener but they always do have a good one. It's the next 12 that I worry about.

Horatio Hornblower will be the kid who's dad Rick killed and who's mother Rick has been sniffing around.

Oh don't you worry. The writers will grace us with Maggie and her pregnancy mood swings this season.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:37:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
  Can you imagine how AWESOME that episode would've been? Holy cow, a big CAT D10 mowing the grass, the tracks pulverizing walkers underneath while Rick and Co. pick off stragglers with suppressed rifles and keep any buildup from allowing walkers to climb up to the cab. Break for lunch, refuel, reload, then dig back in. Holy fuck that would've been a grand episode!
View Quote

Or a giant wheel of cheddar cheese.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:40:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Every season has had the cocking/decocking sound on every firearm imaginable. Every time someone lifts an AR15 in TWD, it cocks.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:41:22 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Every season has had the cocking/decocking sound on every firearms imaginable. Every time someone lifts an AR15 in TWD, it cocks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Every season has had the cocking/decocking sound on every firearms imaginable. Every time someone lifts an AR15 in TWD, it cocks.

Sadly.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:41:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The main thing that makes me think it is NOT father dickless is that it sounds like a truck horn to me. Where would father pantload get that? And if he did, and it was inside Alexandria, you would think the other people in there would hear it and shut him down toot sweet.

And the Wolves have shown an MO with truck trailers and using sound to attract walkers. My guess is the Wolves set up the quarry trap, realized their quarry trap was sprung, and used a big rig horn to great effect.
View Quote

My 1st guess also
If it turns out to be someone in Alexandria its either the preacher, the girl Carl is hanging with (who for some reason I have always suspected of being a spy for the Wolves) or the kid Rick kept from falling in the quarry pissed off about Rick killing his dad

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:46:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You know that they don't shower that often during the apocalypse, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just a minor gripe...but there isn't nearly enough sex going on in The Walking Dead.

First off...you've got constant impending doom, second there's no internet or TV, and third...what else are you going to do?

The only guys I've seen getting ass are Abraham, Glenn, and Eugene jacking it while watching Abe and Lolita go at it.

C'mon TWD...get with the hump time...AND NOT TWO DUDES (NTTAWWT)

You know that they don't shower that often during the apocalypse, right?

so no oral sex
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:48:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some pretty funny scenes this time. I hope they find a peanut butter bar.

The mat said 'welcome'.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:50:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

WAT?!?!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Motherdick on set was priceless.

We need to see more of that... even with the pants half off.

WAT?!?!

I mean I can send you some pics if you're that excited about it.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:51:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

You don't know what's inside of a person until they are put into a life and death scenario. Take Audie Murphy for example.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:55:17 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Like I said... I liked her ahen ahe killed herself. I don't like her being SEAL Team Delta Beret.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:56:50 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Z Nation seems to come along later and deliver the fucked up jokes we make here, killer Zombie babies, nuking from orbit, bear and sheep Zombies (WTF?) zombie strippers....

I look forward to a good Zombie Flail  or combine scene..
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:56:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Anyone wanna guess who's the next to die from Team rick?
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:57:58 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

You don't know what's inside of a person until they are put into a life and death scenario. Take Audie Murphy for example.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Or Dale...
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:00:20 PM EDT
[#48]
There have plenty of instances where zeds were still chompin after being burnt up.

It would have done a lot of damage but not 100%.

Of course, probably would have been better than trying to lead them 20 miles away from town.

Quoted:

Fire would work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fire would work.

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:06:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Fire. Doesn't. Work.  Has no one been watching this show?  You'd just have burnt Zeds.  You need to put a hole in their brain.  Why do you think they always stab them in their heads?  Sheesh.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fire would work.

Fire has worked plenty of times on the show. Besides all you need is to immobilize them and keep them in the pit.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:16:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Anyone wanna guess who's the next to die from Team rick?
View Quote

Probably Abraham.  Getting out of the car to redirect a few herd stragglers was a clue to the audience that his time is up.

Page / 245
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top