BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 245
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 3:53:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The have freakin RPGs with them, right? There's no doubt they saw them from a far enough distance away. They could stop and blow a hole through. They could take the chance of rolling through or turning around and trying a different road. Not like they are waiting with milk and cookies.
View Quote

They might have stashed the RPG's to come back later.
Not a lot of room in the cab of that truck with 3 people inside.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 3:54:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Initially it was a result of the writer's strike many moons ago. Now it's part of making the appearance of more shows than there really are.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, that was a pretty bad mid-season finale.

Why do they do mid-season breaks? You can't tell me that doesn't reduce their viewership numbers.

Initially it was a result of the writer's strike many moons ago. Now it's part of making the appearance of more shows than there really are.

Or they're waiting for the football playoffs & "big game" to end.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 3:57:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

oh it could definitely happen...has negan been spotted or merely mentioned?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
i guess carl didn't Click To View Spoiler

He ain't safe yet seeing that still happens during this arc as Neegan is now lurking around.

I'm hoping;

Click To View Spoiler

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 4:12:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, I hope the midseason opener is kickass, because other than Deanna going out like a boss with her war face on that was some weak shit.

I know they all can't be "big" episodes, but c'mon.

I am... unsatisfied.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 4:15:06 AM EDT
[#5]
At least the writers have a few months to practice.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:16:52 AM EDT
[#6]
After seeing just a few minutes of the 3am showing, and reading the last 3 pages of this thread, I can safely say that I really don't care to watch the 5am showing. I'll watch it when it comes on before the mid-season opener in Feb, maybe. Show's writers are insulting the viewers. Can't really say I give a fuck wether or not I ever watch it again; depends on what else is on at the time, I guess.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:50:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm hoping;

Click To View Spoiler

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
i guess carl didn't Click To View Spoiler

He ain't safe yet seeing that still happens during this arc as Neegan is now lurking around.

I'm hoping;

Click To View Spoiler

hmmm,,,,interesting, but i can't see it happening
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:51:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The writer explained that.

Last season, Glenn and Maggie got separated but the audience knew that they were both ok.  We didn't get to really feel the anxiety that the characters were going through.

By leaving Glenn's death a big unknown, it forced the audience to get a sense of what Glenn and Maggie went through when they were apart and the fact that, in that world, whenever someone goes away from the rest of the group, it could be the last time they're seen or heard from.

It was brilliant writing, even if some people can't see it and think it was all just a lame cliffhanger.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The writers are so gutless

They arent gutless. Hes part of a future story line that cant happen without him.

If we'd seen Glenn crawl up under the dumpster at the end of that first episode, you'd feel differently. Where they divided by zero was making us all wait half a fucking season to find out he was still alive. Had they made us wait one or even two weeks, it would've been enough to hang us off the cliff.

And now the walls have been breached. Ain't looking good...

The writer explained that.

Last season, Glenn and Maggie got separated but the audience knew that they were both ok.  We didn't get to really feel the anxiety that the characters were going through.

By leaving Glenn's death a big unknown, it forced the audience to get a sense of what Glenn and Maggie went through when they were apart and the fact that, in that world, whenever someone goes away from the rest of the group, it could be the last time they're seen or heard from.

It was brilliant writing, even if some people can't see it and think it was all just a lame cliffhanger.

Boring
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 6:16:11 AM EDT
[#9]
The preview was ridiculous. There's no way they can be this stupid this far out.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 6:37:08 AM EDT
[#10]
so much pathetic in this episode, sprinkled with just enough interesting to keep me watching.  i'm all for willing suspension of disbelief, but come on writers--don't ask me to turn my brain completely off.  the abject, mind-blowing stupidity of the carol/morgan/hostage situation is everything that's wrong with TWD in 3 minutes.  as another poster put it, i can life with questionable decision-making.  hell--bad decisions are how most stories start.

but it's just...so...stupid.  like amateur-hour stupid.  like george lucas is a better screenwriter than you stupid.  like forget george lucas--george costanza wouldn't write something so stupid stupid.

i can't even...
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 7:51:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Dragging out a Season One trick was just plain lazy, uninspired writing. Good thing Gimple and Nicotero weren't on 'The Talking Dead', as many fans would have been baying for their blood in retaliation for the shitty mid-season finale.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Everyone just step back from their keyboards, rub their temples and repeat after me:

There is an RPG.

There is an RPG.

There is a mother dicking RPG.

... in February.

They don't need it now.  They brought back the long forgotten " rub zombie goo on you and walk amongst them".  This is needed when it is convenient for the writers and completely forgotten when not.  Now they can just walk around and gather everyone up, covering group members in goo as needed.

Dragging out a Season One trick was just plain lazy, uninspired writing. Good thing Gimple and Nicotero weren't on 'The Talking Dead', as many fans would have been baying for their blood in retaliation for the shitty mid-season finale.

Goddamn, how many times have people complained that the characters seemed to have forgotten the gut-poncho trick?
And now they do it (and consider that it's not exactly risk free) and, surprise, people are complaining about it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 9:05:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Goddamn, how many times have people complained that the characters seemed to have forgotten the gut-poncho trick?
And now they do it (and consider that it's not exactly risk free) and, surprise, people are complaining about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Everyone just step back from their keyboards, rub their temples and repeat after me:

There is an RPG.

There is an RPG.

... in February.

They don't need it now.  They brought back the long forgotten " rub zombie goo on you and walk amongst them".  This is needed when it is convenient for the writers and completely forgotten when not.  Now they can just walk around and gather everyone up, covering group members in goo as needed.

People are gonna bitch no matter waht the charecters do
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 9:32:53 AM EDT
[#13]
This show (like most) is much more fun to watch on Tivo. Fast forward is your friend.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 9:34:21 AM EDT
[#14]
The preview was beyond stupid. Now they're screwed (again). And of course most of them will eventually get out of it, maybe after half a season of self-induced fuckery (again).
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 9:41:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Same here. It's cheap entertainment. And these threads are always amusing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SNIP

Agreed on all counts.  The walker-gut poncho thing is pretty ridiculous.  It's believable in a sense, but like you said, they could have just donned some walker guts and walked out the front gate at any time.  I don't know if it's just lazy writing or the effect of having so many different writers/directors/etc. on the show, but it's completely inconsistent in the final presentation.

But, I don't have anything better to do on most Sunday evenings and I enjoy the bullshitting in these threads, so I guess I'll see y'all in February.

Yup like I said. I like the banter that goes on here but I still think it's time to end the show, do the Neegan season 6/7 and show Rick and group walking off into the sunset after they get ran out of their next home. Go out with high ratings and concentrate on Fear The Walking Dead. They have more wiggle room with story lines and at least they have a reason to do stupid things
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 9:49:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The have freakin RPGs with them, right? There's no doubt they saw them from a far enough distance away. They could stop and blow a hole through. They could take the chance of rolling through or turning around and trying a different road. Not like they are waiting with milk and cookies.

No way would I have left them even if that meant tying them to the hood, bumper, roof some how.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 9:55:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yup like I said. I like the banter that goes on here but I still think it's time to end the show, do the Neegan season 6/7 and show Rick and group walking off into the sunset after they get ran out of their next home. Go out with high ratings and concentrate on Fear The Walking Dead. They have more wiggle room with story lines and at least they have a reason to do stupid things
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
SNIP

Agreed on all counts.  The walker-gut poncho thing is pretty ridiculous.  It's believable in a sense, but like you said, they could have just donned some walker guts and walked out the front gate at any time.  I don't know if it's just lazy writing or the effect of having so many different writers/directors/etc. on the show, but it's completely inconsistent in the final presentation.

But, I don't have anything better to do on most Sunday evenings and I enjoy the bullshitting in these threads, so I guess I'll see y'all in February.

The thing is, the ratings are not going to drop. Most of the viewership, I bet you, liked the episode and are looking forward immensely to Feb.14. I know I am.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:31:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Probably the dumbest episode of the entire series. Rick trying to fight off a herd with a revolver. Overdramatized I can't outrun zombies shit. The whole scene with the wolf was beyond retarded, pop him in the head.  Jesus...
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:00:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Well, as bad as that episode was the series is still pretty entertaining and is still better than the majority of what is on television these days.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:02:11 AM EDT
[#20]
I just hope they don't screw Neegan up.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:03:21 AM EDT
[#21]
This is not the way to keep viewers.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:24:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Just trying to get my head around this the wolfpet gets the weapons and the
hostage. Now up until that point everybody's having extremely hard time getting
into the houses and once they're in there Traped. How is it the wolf just leaves
out the door with his hostage. I was led to believe he would've been eaten
pretty quickly and his chances of survival are slim to none so what's up with that.

. . .
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:30:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
into the houses and once they're in there Traped. How is it the wolf just leaves
pretty quickly and his chances of survival are slim to none so what's up with that.

. . .
View Quote

He has a hostage.  The walkers are all like "whoa, he's got a hostage...leave him alone"
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:32:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Well all my predictions have been proven wrong. Gean almost
made it back. Abraham didn't make it back and doesn't look like he
can use any of his toys. The hometown team didn't take that many losses
except for one main character who died pretty cool so predictions this episode .
Have been completely wrong.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:36:02 AM EDT
[#25]
I think the incorrect predictions are due to many of us expecting a much larger and more dire mid season finale.

The scenario presented to us was one of disaster and ruin, but the development that occurred was unable to reach the levels we all imagined. Kind of like grabbing the biggest present under the tree and unwrapping it to find socks.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:37:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The thing is, the ratings are not going to drop. Most of the viewership, I bet you, liked the episode and are looking forward immensely to Feb.14. I know I am.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
SNIP

It'll probably keep the ratings for a little while longer but the zombie fad is fading and just from reading other forums, the majority of people thought this episode was meh.
Me personally I thought the whole half season was very meh as a whole. If I didn't have you guys to joke around with. I probably wouldn't even watch it Sunday nights but rather catch it sometime during the week
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:46:16 AM EDT
[#27]
If the mid-season finale is not going to be kickass, then lay off the ramp-up.  You'll get the viewers, almost no matter what.  However, if they continue to over-hype and under-deliver, the viewership will wane; naturally.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:47:01 AM EDT
[#28]
I think the zombie fad is about dead (possible pun possibly intended), and Walking Dead should be seen more as an exception to the rule and not an example of the success of a genre. I think it keeps shambling along due more to there not being a new "thing" to fill the vacuum it will create when it finally shuffles off its mortal coil. The second we get a new "big thing" genre, the zombie genre will finally go away for a while.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:47:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Well all my predictions have been proven wrong. Gean almost
made it back. Abraham didn't make it back and doesn't look like he
can use any of his toys. The hometown team didn't take that many losses
except for one main character who died pretty cool so predictions this episode .
Have been completely wrong.

View Quote

I really thought Janeway would survive until the end of the season at least.  
They played out a lot of the tension between her and Rick already, but I figured there would be more between those two characters as they got settled in Alexandria.
Kind of glad the Alexandria time line has moved so fast - it has worked of better for the plot pacing, IMO, despite the various foibles or contrivances in the writing.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:48:02 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
He has a hostage.  The walkers are all like "whoa, he's got a hostage...leave him alone"
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

. . .

I'm thinking he'll Otis fatty to the horde and sneak out of Alexandria.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:50:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

. . .

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:03:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I just hope they don't screw Neegan up.
View Quote

They've pretty much screwed up everything else, why would Neegan get a pass?
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:13:04 PM EDT
[#33]
I just hope Carol wakes up before Morgan and stabs him in the head.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:16:57 PM EDT
[#34]
The bikers reminded me of the original Dawn Of The Dead
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 2:14:04 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I think the incorrect predictions are due to many of us expecting a much larger and more dire mid season finale.

The scenario presented to us was one of disaster and ruin, but the development that occurred was unable to reach the levels we all imagined. Kind of like grabbing the biggest present under the tree and unwrapping it to find socks.
View Quote

It feels like a huge misdirect, though I can't say if that was their intent or just a bit of sloppy presentation on their part.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 2:24:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

She certainly showed 'em her War Face.

EDIT: And got six shots out of a Ruger SP101.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Janeway went like a true boss.

She certainly showed 'em her War Face.

EDIT: And got six shots out of a Ruger SP101.

G.A. Romero doesn't exist in their reality, but .327 magnums do!
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 3:00:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Overall, that was a pretty boring and uneventful mid-season finale.  It sucks to have to call it a "mid-season" finale, but that is just what it is due to the scheduling.

After the tower fell, it seemed that they showed very little action between commercials.  Even my wife coomented that every time she walked by there was a commercial on.

The scenes were all set the same.  They would Come back from commercial and

- one group was keeping the zombies out of garage...one member reading by zippo in the daylight.

- one group was keeping zombies out of house with furniture.

- the other group was occupied with the wolf.

What the hell happened to Maggie?  They showed her go up the ladder and that was it...never showed her again.

Then our group with the truck finally makes an appearance and they let a group of mototrcycles stop them...wtf

I feel I am too far invested right now to give up on the show so I will probably be back in February like the rest but the writers really need to get their collective shit together.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 3:02:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This, fucking Morgan has no place in a post apocalyptic world.

Also, the teasers on the airplane for "Fear the Walking Dead" are better than TWD.

Quoted:
What the hell happened to Maggie?  They showed her go up the ladder and that was it...never showed her again.

You see Gene and the young idiot chick on a tree near the end seeing Maggie on the platform surrounded by walkers.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 4:36:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 4:56:08 PM EDT
[#40]
I think Maggie is filling the Andrea "stuck in the church tower" bit from the comics. Maggie climbed onto one of the little observational platforms on the wall and lost the ladder, so she is more or less stranded until someone comes to get her. She is also demonstrably out of ammo (they really wanted to push that with the goofy "click click" noises) so she is not rescuing herself from her perch.

The episode last night was doing a really good job of hitting a couple of the major elements from the comics, but it just felt like it ended a few minutes too soon. I think they cliffhangered the wrong part personally. For a ripe example one only has to look laterally to another Walking Dead media cliffhanger in a similar situation: Telltale's Walking Dead Season 2: (Spoiler tag for those who want to play the game and don't want a pivotal scene ruined)

Click To View Spoiler

Edit: Also of note Telltale's Walking Dead Seasons 1 and 2 are on sale until tomorrow on Steam for like $7 each. They really are master classes in how to make compelling Walking Dead media, and both are great examples of well executed storytelling. I personally found them to be more engrossing than the show has been of late.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:06:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:10:31 PM EDT
[#42]
I understand that the common person may not know how an AR operates and so the "click, click" helps them to realize that the person is out of ammunition, but a simple addition of say 30 seconds of her looking into the open bolt, stripping the empty magazine, and going "darn it" or whatever would have worked fine.  

Also, why do these people never seem to carry more than a single magazine?  

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:15:37 PM EDT
[#43]
It is most definitely a letter mailed to ourselves... my qualm has to do with the point they stopped the episode. I think had they let it play out just a few more minutes... heck even a few more seconds and it would have created more of an "oh snap" moment to leave the show at. Instead they set up the dominoes and rather than leaving us in anticipation as we see that first big domino toppling, they just let us look at the dominoes all set up. All we can say is "yup, them's some dominoes" rather than excitedly saying "holy shit did you see how they kicked off that first domino? How are they going to survive? I can't wait to see how this plays out!"

I wanted to see the show come in like a lion and out like a pissed lion. Instead we got the lamb. Cue Kermit picture but that is just my opinion, and what do I know I'm just a frog drinking tea.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:19:12 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I understand that the common person may not know how an AR operates and so the "click, click" helps them to realize that the person is out of ammunition, but a simple addition of say 30 seconds of her looking into the open bolt, stripping the empty magazine, and going "darn it" or whatever would have worked fine.  

Also, why do these people never seem to carry more than a single magazine?  

View Quote

Her ass wouldn't have looked as good with a Pmag sticking out of her back pocket.  

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:21:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:26:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is an RPG.

There is an RPG.

... in February.

It just makes me hate Rick more and more.

They're stuck in Alexandria because there's a sea of walkers.

"Oh no, we just need to be quiet." Then, "I saw an opening, I could have gone and gotten a car, and led them away."

Then the walkers breach the wall, they're pinned down, and THEN he remembers the gut poncho trick.

Hey douchebag, you would have looked like Jesus walking on water if you would have waded through the walkers outside of the gate and went and got that car and led them away, saving Alexandria before the church even fell.

They should have gut ponchos ready all the time, use them for supply runs, etc.

This isn't about the show per se, it's more about the perception of Rick being a completely dangerous idiot.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:28:46 PM EDT
[#47]
I am sure Gimbel and Hardwick are tired of my weekly emails and tweets telling them what is wrong and how to do it better.
If he mentions the old geezer who is a dick, thats me.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:35:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It just didn't disappoint me as much as it seemed to do you... to say nothing of the "I'm THROUGH with this show and I REALLY mean it this time!!! " crowd.  
View Quote

I'm not disappointed per se... just kind of perplexed as to the creative choices they are making in regard to pace. Particularly in light of the trolling they did this season with Gene, I was expecting if not more of the same then just a bit more exit through the gift shop. In a sense they are selling the mid season premiere on the back of this mid season finale, and while I understand their choice to front load the premiere it is a choice made at the detriment of the finale. The episode was more like a mid season "stories we are working up for next season" than any sort of "finale" in the literal sense of the word. Its not the first time a season or mid season has ended on a similar note though.

And a lot of that also speaks to audience expectations... the viewer has a developing need of closure in some sense that is exasperated when you have so many different threads going at once. Yes it is fine and dandy to leave something dangling to entice people to tune back in at the same bat time three months from now, but as others so eloquently put it, you can't blue ball the viewer forever. Eventually you need an orgasmic explosion of violence, death, finality and closure of some of the dangling plot lines. To some end I think the Season 5 opener is what they are hoping for here... another Termius "wrap up everything in an hour" situation in the mid season premiere in February. Something to boost those February doldrums ratings. But again that is me being overly analytical and not looking at it creatively... but when I look at it creatively I'm left with the same feeling.

Kind of like kids we want the best for them and from them, and when they step up to that little league batter's box and bunt we kind of feel let down. Sure it might have put a runner on base, but small ball doesn't wow the crowd... even if the players are 8 years old.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:44:31 PM EDT
[#49]
I actually laughed out loud when Carl told the other kid his father was an asshole.

Was hoping Carl would kick that kids ass after the fight. Still get the feeling there will be some final confrontation between Carl and that kid beyond just Carl pulling a gun on him and taking the kid's gun away from him.

Thought the episode was OK. Had a lot going on in it. Yes the derp with the zombie guts ponchos/shirts was stupid for many of the reasons previously mentioned. But understand why the writers do not use it more often. There would be less "drama" on the show if the characters did all the things we scream at the TV for them not doing, including covering themselves in zombie guts to walk through them to escape.

What annoyed me with the episode was fucking Morgan and his pacifist ways. It is his fault Olivia got taken because he stopped Carol from killing the bad wounded guy who it was clear was going to try and escape. You could see how that scene developed coming a mile away.

And when will they kill off Eugene? That guy has like zero zombie kills and has absolutely no skills other that being able to pick a lock. Something he remarked on in last night's show. Thought it was telling that even when he was about to be bitten/attacked he couldn't defend himself (dropped the machete if I remember right). Guy's dead weight and a danger to others.

Will be interesting to see where they take Jessie's son's character, the one who hid in his room who she kept trying to protect from the outside world and telling him to pretend to be a hero.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:53:06 PM EDT
[#50]
What happened to NickRoll's party van?  I know they made it back to ASZ with it.
Page / 245
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top