Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/1/2015 8:11:06 PM EDT
Inspired by this thread:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271579

Me?  Other than the common stuff I've managed to keep from injuring myself too badly.  But one particularly stupid incident stands out.  

I had to remove a rubber boot.  Instead of going back to my box for diaginal cutters I grabbed a straight mechanics pick.  Punctured the boot then grabbed the pointy end with my other hand and pulled.  (One hand on the handle and the other on the pointy end)  Lol, stupid.  The boot tore through and drove the point of the pick at least an inch into my hand.  Right between the thumb and index finger.  It hurt like hell.  Must've hit something sensitive.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:12:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Marry the crazy eye...
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:14:19 PM EDT
[#2]
damn...beat me
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:15:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:16:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Joined the Army
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:16:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Stapled hand to a ceiling.  Didnt have a set of pliers to pull it loose.  Had to rip my hand free.  

And tonight I let an orange belt throw me about a hundred times in preparation for his next promotion.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:20:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Marry the crazy eye...
View Quote

fucking seriously
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:21:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Tried to stop a rolling car.....things didn't pan out so well..... No shit.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:22:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Picked a fight with a (was told later) golden glove boxer.

Luckily I was asleep for most of the damage.. woke up with the police lifting me out of the bushes outside the bar...

Here's the kicker,  fight started inside the bar.

I have a scar above my eye from his ring.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:23:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Tried grinding on a piece of keystock while having it held in one hand and the grinder in the other. Thank god it was only a 4.5" grinding wheel because all the damage it did was a 1/4" indent in my index finger and a wrecked pair of mechanix gloves.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:24:03 PM EDT
[#10]
shoved a Buck knife 110 through my left hand trying to open a can. Yes I was 12.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:24:47 PM EDT
[#11]
get dragged off a the dormer on a 4th story roof by a pissed off momma raccoon on the other end of the snare pole
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:25:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I dated a red-headed chick that was half French-Canadian and half Austrian, some days she was French and annoying, some days she was Canadian and pleasant and some days she was Austrian and wanted to blitzkrieg anyone that didn't say "Hi" in the proper tone of voice to her; you could never tell what it was going to be ahead of time because: Redhead. One time she got really pissed at me, possibly because I said something less than complimentary about Tim Horton's, so she took her one cat that was in the kitchen where we were, turned on the water, stuck the cat's head under it and pitched it at me. It was like being attacked by Cthulhu with razors on every possible point of contact. So yeah there was that dumb and painful thing.

One other time when I was in High School I was helping my uncle put a new roof on my grandma's deck and hanging off a truss, he needed a hammer that was back by a different part of the roof and told me to go down the ladder, then back up to the back part, I was like nah that'll take too long...that is when I discovered that Chucky Tailors may not be the best footwear to do roofing, yeah I slipped on the beam I was going to go across all ninja-like and fell off...right onto the garage roof where we'd been chucking stripped shingles from the deck old roof. I went oww that fuckin hurt, stood up and had all manner of shingles nailed to my back. Yeah that was dumb and painful, so was the tetanus shot.

Those are just 2 off the top of my head, in my 40-something years on this planet I've done a plethora of dumb and painful things.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:25:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, the thread you linked to reminded me of it. I was pretty young, probably 10 or 12. My dad was welding a cap on the end of a piece of pipe. About 5 minutes after he finished it I grabbed the cap.

After we treated the burn (if you could call it treated) he took out his infrared thermometer and showed me how hot it was. I can't remember what it was, but I remember it being a very high number.

I never really learned my lesson and still grab hot pieces of metal from time to time, even when I'm the one welding it. But I have learned to let go a lot sooner.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:26:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I skied over a cliff in the Alps in a whiteout.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:26:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I very stupidly tried to use a pocket folding knife to cut a little wrist band off of my son's wrist when he was two. Thankfully I only cut into my own stupid hand and not my son's. I never would have forgiven myself had I done that. I haven't really forgiven myself for risking it anyway. I only needed a few stitches, but it was a goodun.

ETA: probably in second place was when I grabbed a push mower and lifted it to put it in the back of the truck after I just mowed grass at my aunt's business. I stuck my left hand right on the exhaust and lifted. I had that hand wrapped up for over a week. Probably second degree burns, but I didn't go to the doc.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:26:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I fell in love with the woman of my dreams and married her.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:27:02 PM EDT
[#17]
using a nail gun to nail my hand to a truss

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:28:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Got my wisdom teeth pulled when I didn't have an issue. Fuck you Air Force dental tech cuntface .
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:28:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Ignored the signs of Lyme until it about killed me.  Then the doctors were relatively ignorant about the disease, and didn't realize it was Lyme.    

Weeks and weeks of pain.  Thank God for antibiotics and Lyme literate doctors.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:28:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Got drunk, got confused as to where the end of a dock was, walked off end of dock, tore the meniscus in ma knee. Still havent gotten it fixed after a year.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:29:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Does getting married count?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:30:48 PM EDT
[#22]
The night before I shipped to basic, we threw an awesome party.  I got drunker'n shit off an ass load of Mickey's and home brew ale.  At some point, I decided the most American thing I could do was shoot up one of those Heineken mini kegs with a housemate's .22.  I walked over after 5 rounds and picked up the peppered keg.

And cut my the palm of my hand about .25" down and 4" long.  Glued it shut and called it good.

I was reminded of that mistake every day for the first month of basic.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:30:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Not me, but worth telling.

My buddy and I used to work in a bagel shop as teenagers.  They had an industrial slicer at an angle with a 12'' circular blade halfway down the shoot for slicing the bagels.

One day one got caught half way down and he thought he would just tap it though with his hand.  Negative ghost-rider.

I knew exactly what happened when the RPMs of the blade dropped an audible difference and he pulled his hand out with that look

Split his pinky down to the first knuckle, took part of the bone with it.  Clean cut though, stitched him up no problem.

No disfiguring, but he has no feeling in that portion of his finger.  We still laugh about it.  Dumb kids.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:31:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yeah, the thread you linked to reminded me of it. I was pretty young, probably 10 or 12. My dad was welding a cap on the end of a piece of pipe. About 5 minutes after he finished it I grabbed the cap.

After we treated the burn (if you could call it treated) he took out his infrared thermometer and showed me how hot it was. I can't remember what it was, but I remember it being a very high number.

I never really learned my lesson and still grab hot pieces of metal from time to time, even when I'm the one welding it. But I have learned to let go a lot sooner.
View Quote

Haha.  I use a welder a few times a year.  Now I just assume I'm going to burn myself somehow.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:33:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Punk motherfucker was running his mouth.

Big friend standing next to him like some kind of stupid fucking body guard.

Hit the big fucker, little fucker hit me with pool cue.

Thought he killed me.

Friends carried me out.

(Fall of 1983, small shit stain of a bar in rural WV)
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:33:25 PM EDT
[#26]
I had my thumbnail torn off once.  Most painful thing I've ever felt by far. In my time I've suffered several broken fingers including a compound fracture, a broken wrist, road rash from a 50' slide off a crashed motorcycle, and broken my collarbone bad enough for a titanium plate - none came close.

It happened because one morning I was giving my elderly GDS mix her arthritis pill wrapped in a piece of lunchmeat.  She was not awake, the room was dark, she had cataracts, and instead of holding it flat in my palm I was holding it like a stick with my right thumb flat on top. She lunged in the dark for it and caught my thumbnail under her canine and ripped the whole thing off. Incredible pain.  Just incredible.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:34:40 PM EDT
[#27]
climbed a 14' fence, went to jump off the other side, and got a pant leg caught.  whiplashed into what would have been a spectacular faceplant, but i caught myself on my hands just before hitting the ground.  unfortunately, my left elbow was locked when i did so.

didn't realize how badly i had injured myself until i went to push up off the ground, and felt the bones start pushing through the muscle.  according to the ER doc, it was the worst joint injury he had ever seen: "your elbow is, for lack of a better way to say it, powder".  i had self-assessed a pain level of 6 when i got to the ER (didn't want to be a nancy-boy), so i had to wait while 2 other patients were seen.  after the x-rays came back, the doc yelled at me and told me that i should have rated it a 9.

elbow is now titanium and stainless steel.

and all this happened because i hadn't driven drunk the night before--was walking to pick up my car, which i had left at the bar.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:36:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Got bit by a cat

Infection set in and almost killed me.

That was Christmas time and I'm still having issues
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:36:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Ran over my foot with a lawn mower.  25 years later I slipped on ice and broke my ankle,
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:37:26 PM EDT
[#30]
day after my 40th birthday
I planned to take my car to the track for the 1st time ever. Oddly enough I got a fire extinguisher mounted and practiced shutting the car off the day before.

Neighbor that was supposed to let me borrow a helmet forgot to leave it out so I ditched my plan and stayed home

I used the car to pick my 4 year old up from preschool and dropped him at home. I then went over to the transmission shop to pick up some shifter linkage bushings. About halfway there my throttle stuck. I tried to free up the pedal from the carpet as I drove along but that wasn't the issue.
I then decided I better brake as I came up on the back of a car. I stood on the brakes but the 460 easily over powered them.

When I let off the car surged and the the inner-dumbass took over and I panicked.
I should have shut off the car like I practiced but instead I decided to free up the throttle by "blipping it".
I mashed the gas and it stuck at almost WOT. The car got sideways and spun hitting a tree dead center in the back.
I was knocked out but came to with the engine screaming and no control of the car.
It hit a pole in front of a building doing about 65mph by witness estimates.

Cops ticketed the shit out of me thinking I was racing.

Stitches in my head, glass stuck in me and a torn up ear.
Years later my back is all fucked up.

HP+inexperience

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:40:11 PM EDT
[#31]
I've done lots of stupid shit. Lighting a bottle rocket held in my mouth, while riding a bike has to be my crowning achievement. Got my lip put back on on a Sunday afternoon.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:40:41 PM EDT
[#32]
paid (to me, at the time) a large sum of money for an apadravya.

man, I was not smart in my early 20's.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:41:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Got one of the boys caught when standing up and turning while wearing boxer shorts.

Scar tissue from that episode required that my vasectomy be done in an OR under full anesthesia.  took and hour and a half to get things out of the scar tissue and trimmed correctly.    Doc asked me if it had hurt as bad as the scar tissue looked.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:42:20 PM EDT
[#34]
tag for the stories
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:43:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
day after my 40th birthday
I planned to take my car to the track for the 1st time ever. Oddly enough I got a fire extinguisher mounted and practiced shutting the car off the day before.

Neighbor that was supposed to let me borrow a helmet forgot to leave it out so I ditched my plan and stayed home

I used the car to pick my 4 year old up from preschool and dropped him at home. I then went over to the transmission shop to pick up some shifter linkage bushings. About halfway there my throttle stuck. I tried to free up the pedal from the carpet as I drove along but that wasn't the issue.
I then decided I better brake as I came up on the back of a car. I stood on the brakes but the 460 easily over powered them.

When I let off the car surged and the the inner-dumbass took over and I panicked.
I should have shut off the car like I practiced but instead I decided to free up the throttle by "blipping it".
I mashed the gas and it stuck at almost WOT. The car got sideways and spun hitting a tree dead center in the back.
I was knocked out but came to with the engine screaming and no control of the car.
It hit a pole in front of a building doing about 65mph by witness estimates.

Cops ticketed the shit out of me thinking I was racing.

Stitches in my head, glass stuck in me and a torn up ear.
Years later my back is all fucked up.

HP+inexperience

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l148/supercobrajet/betty/DSC04041.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l148/supercobrajet/betty/DSC03559.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l148/supercobrajet/betty/100_1314.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l148/supercobrajet/betty/100_1182.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l148/supercobrajet/betty/100_1241.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l148/supercobrajet/betty/100_1270.jpg
View Quote

Oh god.

You, uhh.. win?

That's an awful thing to happen to that beautiful car.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:44:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
paid (to me, at the time) a large sum of money for an apadravya.

man, I was not smart in my early 20's.
View Quote

Ouch,dumbass
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:46:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Picked up a section of 2" steel pipe that had JUST been cut with a torch.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:47:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Marriage.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:48:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Cliff diving

Blew out a shoulder, tore everything from my sternum to shoulder blade

Was trying to impress the ladies.
Fuckin' stoopid
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:54:03 PM EDT
[#40]
pulled an absessed tooth couldn't take it any more. Had a friend help me know if i actually had the right tooth.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:55:35 PM EDT
[#41]
couldnt even begin to remember all the painful things i have done to myself, but the most recent i was grinding the heads off the bed bolts on one of my trucks with a angle grinder when i smelled something burning i looked down and my shirt was on fire so what did i do i started slapping it with my hand and the burning shirt stuck to my hand and burnt the hell out if three fingers, and all that just to to remove the bed to change a brand new fuel pump that already went bad ??
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:56:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Drop out of college.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:57:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Was letting my motorcycle warm up one morning, probably a little over five minutes

Thought I saw something out of place bent down to take a look and grabbed the tailpipe with my left hand.

Instant blister, was about the size of a golf ball.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:57:55 PM EDT
[#44]
I'll keep it brief a pocket knife into floor fan in a South American country. Luckily they were able to sew it back on. Now starting to get sensation back in it. My thumb that is.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:58:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
couldnt even begin to remember all the painful things i have done to myself, but the most recent i was grinding the heads off the bed bolts on one of my trucks with a angle grinder when i smelled something burning i looked down and my shirt was on fire so what did i do i started slapping it with my hand and the burning shirt stuck to my hand and burnt the hell out if three fingers, and all that just to to remove the bed to change a brand new fuel pump that already went bad ??
View Quote

Anti seize those bolts brah
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:58:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Going to a interview for a new job as a teenager... ran out the door in a hurry slamming the door.... with my hand still in it. It hurt so bad, I turned around, walked back inside, and sat down on the couch for about 30 minutes. I was late to the interview, and still got the job when I showed dude my hand.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:59:27 PM EDT
[#47]
I decided to ride a bike with no brakes to a hobby shop located down a steep hill many miles away from home.   I was used to going down small hills by putting my foot on the front tire.  Normally, I would slow down no issues normally. However this hill, as I mentioned, was very steep.  As I placed my foot on the front tire, it quickly got stuck in the bifurcation of the front frame. Cover the handle bars I went.  

I did manage to make it to the hobby shop, and did buy some model rocket engines.  This was after I blacked out from going over the handle bars and smashing my whole body on the road.

On the way home with my bent wheel I got it stuck in railroad tracks and over the rails I went again- This time landing on the wall of on the railroad track crossings and getting huge splinters in my hands.  My friends mom had to get them out with a knife and tweezers.

Not a good day as my front tire was bent to shit and my hands were bleeding.  My parents flipped out and I was grounded for two weeks.  They never knew I knocked myself out on that bike.

I also almost had my finger chopped of but that's a different story.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:00:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Haha as a previous welder for 3 years I laugh I can't tell you how many times I caught fire. First time I learned exactly what you did!!!!! That's not the way to do it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:01:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Back in the 70's young and stupid.
Drank too much and got on my motorcycle.

The road took a hard right 90 I continued straight ahead.

I still wear the scars.....
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:03:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Fell 13ft off an oil tank.

Hit a 6in ibeam on the way down. My left leg is still fucked up from that impact. My doctor was surprised I didn't break my back.

Also put a chain saw into, and through a pulpy tree. Which then inserted into my left thigh.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top