Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/1/2015 7:49:27 PM EDT
Can never be trusted off a leash outside your yard?

Italian Greyhound.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:51:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Because he will run away?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:51:23 PM EDT
[#2]
My hound mix. If she gets on a scent or sees another dog, her ears stop working.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:52:33 PM EDT
[#3]
My boxer can never be trusted, but she goes out on her own anyway.

She is 12 so we kinda let her do what she wants. Its been like that for a few years now. Figured she'd be long dead by now.

Fucking neighborhood sounds like Mike Vick's back yard when she goes out.

As long as animal control only gets called once a month we are good.

As for my new Belgian Mal... only time will tell.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:55:50 PM EDT
[#4]
No.
My lab won't go more than 10' away from me unless I tell her to.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:10:02 PM EDT
[#5]
These guys are all over the place, but they have never been on a leash except for the vets office. They listen well and will respond to our commands 99% of the time.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:11:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I could probably trust my GSD, but I live on a highway and would rather not take the chance of him chasing something onto it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:11:30 PM EDT
[#7]
This guy right here.  A pointer.  You can tell by looking at him that he's not a Rhodes Scholar.

Every time that leash came off, bam, he'd run for miles.  Every time.

We were in this cirque with a narrow exit and he seemed to be having fun in the water, so we let him off the leash, figuring he was so distracted by the water that he'd forget to run off, and if he did run off, he was completely boxed in by mountains.  Well, as soon as that biner wen click, we just stood there in disbelief as he took off away from us and towards the cliffs. He made it scores feet up the face of Pingora (prominent peak near the right of the photo), before stopping, turning around and letting out a solitary bark.  Then he bolted back towards us, but we lost sight of him when he hit treeline.  I stood in the middle of the trail like a catcher guarding home plate, and sure enough that dumb dog tried to leap over me and continue down the trail ... but I caught him in a flying takedown before he could head down the trail.  He would have run for miles before even thinking about turning around.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#8]
My cur is an escape artist.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:12:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I got two labbs and live on the main road, I got an electric fence , one zap and they knew to back the fk off!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:14:03 PM EDT
[#10]
We have a 1-year old female Great Pyrenees.  I haven't ever let her off leash outside of our yard but I don't think I could trust her to not run off.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:15:44 PM EDT
[#11]
My brothers Jack Russell Terrorist will make a break for it every chance he gets.
He always end up at the creek about a block away. He must have a duck fetish or something.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:16:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Italian Greyhound.
View Quote

I have 3 whippets.
Two are 16 years old and don't go too far or too long when they see something chase-worthy.
My 2 year old on the other hand is a bloodthirsty missile when she sees a squirrel a block away.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:18:10 PM EDT
[#13]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No.

View Quote
That's pretty much my Black Lab also.

Hell, I can't even take a shit without her following me into the bathroom...

Now, around the lake she'll head straight for the water - but she'll always come if I call her.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:19:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Beagle.

She gets a scent and goes full retard.

The retarded rat terrier I affectionately call "Rat Brain" is a good little tard though.  Won't get more than 15' away no matter where she goes.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:19:21 PM EDT
[#15]
It is only a problem for me when he sees a stray cat.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:20:22 PM EDT
[#16]
yup.
to be fair though we got him from the pound, 4-1/2 years old, and have only had him 8 months.  He's getting much better in all aspects.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:20:30 PM EDT
[#17]
The lab comes and goes as he pleases. Sometimes he's got cuts and sores or smells horrible. He's his own dog
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:22:18 PM EDT
[#18]
My Husky but only because of where I live. If I bring her someplace with more room she is fine.  This neighborhood is just too active and congested for her initial sprints lol
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:24:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Yep.

My parents italian greyhound will haul ass given the chance outside of the fenced in yard.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:26:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Lab, best dog ever. She goes out to the same corner of the yard to do her business, great with children (even if they are pulling on her ears and digging in her food dish while she's eating)

If we leave her outside, she sits by the door until someone comes back out/lets her in. She is amazing and will be lost when she is gone.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:27:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Thankfully no.  ACD with bad separation anxiety.  I can even call him off rabbits and cats.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:29:06 PM EDT
[#22]
He'd herd the horses until they dropped.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:29:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Spike, my second rehome Maltese, is even dumber than his predecessor.  He's more or less okay, unless he sees another dog, then he goes full retard.  Moron went after a Great Pyrenees about a year ago.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:31:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
No.
View Quote

Same here, if there is water nearby she will lose her mind and jump in though.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:32:27 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

He'd herd the horses until they dropped.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m250/acder/0720091423.jpg

View Quote
those dogs are awesome,  I adopted a brown and white one when I was young,  it had some medical issues and I had to give her back,  but i have a dog that showed up in my yard 7 years ago

damn dog wouldnt leave,  after we decided to keep him he will run away if we take him off the rope

but we fenced in yard so he can run all he wants

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:42:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Nope , these two will be sitting on the golf cart or in the car waiting for a ride.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:42:47 PM EDT
[#27]
I got two boxers and don't trust those dumb fuckers off the leash ever. I am a responsible pet owner and live in a urban area. So i would prefer to keep my pets away from cars and out of other peoples yards.

the lazy bastards i am referring to.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:46:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Our 12lb. attack cheweenie is dumber than a box of rocks. We are going to watch her for 3 months while the owner relocates.....of course it has been 4 years now.....maybe we are stuck with her? lol

This dog will chase after anything...will not listen....will not stop. Vet said she was about 4 when we got her - so she is middle aged and a tard - so we deal with it as best as we can.

My old hound would listen very well - but he thought he was a GSD. I was only 17 when he was given to me by my crazy GF. My neighbor across the street raised show GSD's and gave me a 'How to raise a GSD' book and helped me when I had questions. Funny sight to see a floppy eared hound walking on my left - always. Stopping/sitting when I approached a street. Sitting, rolling over, fetching, shaking hands and sitting on the sidewalk while I walked 1/4 mile away. Dog would not move. I even taught him hand signs. Miss that hound....he saved my wife and son from a B/E one night also......
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:47:42 PM EDT
[#29]
My hound can be trusted most of the time.

If he gets on a coon though he can be trusted to chase that fucker for 3 miles.

My lab is at my heels non-stop.

We went looking for geese in a few thousand acres today and never lost sight of him without a collar or lead.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:51:46 PM EDT
[#30]
my Beagle/Lab mix. Her nose goes down and she takes off.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:02:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Because he will run away?
View Quote

Oh hell yes.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:03:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
These guys are all over the place, but they have never been on a leash except for the vets office. They listen well and will respond to our commands 99% of the time.

<a href="http://s171.photobucket.com/user/dmsmith12345/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps2u0bl4ic.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u289/dmsmith12345/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps2u0bl4ic.jpg</a>

View Quote

Beautiful dogs!!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:04:33 PM EDT
[#33]
My Great Dane? No... well not only No.... but HELL NO.
My GSD? Yes
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:05:59 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Nope , these two will be sitting on the golf cart or in the car waiting for a ride.http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh564/ztug/2015-08-31%2023.35.30_zpsg2ecxbcw.png
View Quote
Ah-yup!

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:06:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Lab was safe.
Stayed right beside me.
New the magical word NO.  Missing from the typical AKC obedience commands.

Cairn Terrier is friendly but easily distracted.
Not safe off a leash.
Ex was probably scared of the larger dog anyway.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:07:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Can't trust mine to be left alone.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:07:56 PM EDT
[#37]
My boxer and pit, are fine.  Unless we are going on an actual "walk" they are never on leash when we leave the house.  My wife's yorkie is sometimes good, sometimes not so good.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:08:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I have 3 whippets.
Two are 16 years old and don't go too far or too long when they see something chase-worthy.
My 2 year old on the other hand is a bloodthirsty missile when she sees a squirrel a block away.
<a href="http://s149.photobucket.com/user/paulz463/media/IMG_20140824_171142_827_zpsbc7udziw.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s48/paulz463/IMG_20140824_171142_827_zpsbc7udziw.jpg</a>
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Italian Greyhound.

I have 3 whippets.
<a href="http://s149.photobucket.com/user/paulz463/media/IMG_20140824_171142_827_zpsbc7udziw.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s48/paulz463/IMG_20140824_171142_827_zpsbc7udziw.jpg</a>

We are looking at Whippets for a companion to Sparky and maybe an IG. Our Sadie 14 ish when she passed a year ago, but Sparky has been a great single dog.

Yours are beautiful dogs.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:11:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Beautiful dogs!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s171.photobucket.com/user/dmsmith12345/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps2u0bl4ic.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u289/dmsmith12345/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps2u0bl4ic.jpg</a>

Beautiful dogs!!

Thank You. They are a handful and keep us busy.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:14:25 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

My cur is an escape artist.
View Quote

So is mine ... also with a cursed fascination of bicycles.   Bad combination.

Sweetheart disposition, just goes full retard on bikes.  

I suspect that was the reason she was dumped in our neighborhood.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:15:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
My Husky but only because of where I live. If I bring her someplace with more room she is fine.  This neighborhood is just too active and congested for her initial sprints lol
View Quote

i suspect that's mostly because husky.  stubbornest dogs ever.  also best.

i'd have a houseful of them, but i'm not going to subject a spitz to TX temperatures.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:16:25 PM EDT
[#42]
My GSD mix has learned that he can climb fences, doesn't go far and normally just waits at the front door for someone to let him in.  Can't take my eyes off him for long periods of time.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:19:50 PM EDT
[#43]
The Basset never gets out without the leash.  That scent driven son of gun will get on something and be gone.  He's also as stubborn and hard headed as the day is long.  The Rott goes out almost always without a leash.  Never have a problem with her.  She listens pretty good.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:20:00 PM EDT
[#44]
I have a Husky, need I say more? Didn't think so.

The Doberman/Lab mix is trustworthy...to a point.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:24:56 PM EDT
[#45]
My weim is pretty attached to me and pretty much stays within her eyesight of me at all times, and also listens well.  The only exception is when the neighbor is out, she usually calls my dog over for cookie. That's a habit I am not too happy about, but it's not worth correcting the neighbor over as she is pretty good as far as neighbors go.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:25:30 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Italian Greyhound.
View Quote

Full-sized models

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:28:12 PM EDT
[#47]

These are our girls, Smokey and the Bandit when they were pups. Today is their 4th birthday. They're the first dogs I've ever had that I can trust off leash. We spend a lot of time with them, but we're no dog trainers. The girls are pretty much self taught. They will stop at a firm command, and come when called. I find it amazing, how well behaved they are.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:37:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Don't feel bad, my wolfdog would be gone like shot outside the fenced yard if something caught her eye or nose...my other dog sticks to me like glue.

Some dogs are just going to be like that, no matter how much training they get.

Lets just say that after having a wolfdog (love her to death) and learning what they can be like, I don't think I'll get another unless I can buy a farm where they can run around a lot.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:38:27 PM EDT
[#49]
My Old English Sheepdogs always stayed around, they were guarding the flock!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:40:27 PM EDT
[#50]
I trust my mal with my life 40-60 hours a week, i no doubt trust him off lead, but for liability reasons he doesnt come out of the back yard without a lead on. My Jindo will take off like shes gonna make a break for it and turn around about 10-20 yards out and either wait on me or come back. Shes getting a little older now and listens pretty well. The 16 week old Aussie shepherd... dont trust her a damn lick, shes cute as all hell though
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top