Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 47
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:40:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Because they shouldn't have to.  This woman is required to follow the law. If she refuses to do it, the she should find something else to do.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good.

why don't the gays just go to another county and get their license?

Because they shouldn't have to.  This woman is required to follow the law. If she refuses to do it, the she should find something else to do.

Did the Supreme Court pass a law?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:40:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good.

They must not want to get married then.
If I were going for a carry permit, and county a was being an asshole about it and the adjacent county was no problem, I'd be heading directly there.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:41:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My guess is they will fine the county into submission rather than drag her away in cuffs. But unless she sleeps in the county jail and runs the clerk's office from her cell the feds will get her. The Feds will look at the deputies and sau "Okay we're leaving, we'll back tomorrow with an army and warrants for all of you." The deputies will not like the idea of their doors at home popping off the hinges with heavily armored machinegun toting feds looking to haul them up and would knuckle under, I suspect.  

Doubt anything dramatic will happen. County will get find and eventually she will knuckle under or be recalled or something. Feds aren't looking to get their shit pushed in again like at Bundy Ranch

Interesting little drama in civil disobedience though
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's about damn time someone told these jackasses to go fuck themselves.

Anthony Kennedy made his ruling, now let him enforce it!
They have people for that   http://timothyolyphant.siterubix.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/raylan-badge.jpg

It could get ugly if the Sheriff decides he's on her side and sends a couple deputies down to arrest any of those federal boys trying to interfere.

Remember, this was our great hope after the Sandy Hook shooting when it seemed like gun control was imminent; that the Sheriffs would tell the Feds to go fuck themselves...and they did!
My guess is they will fine the county into submission rather than drag her away in cuffs. But unless she sleeps in the county jail and runs the clerk's office from her cell the feds will get her. The Feds will look at the deputies and sau "Okay we're leaving, we'll back tomorrow with an army and warrants for all of you." The deputies will not like the idea of their doors at home popping off the hinges with heavily armored machinegun toting feds looking to haul them up and would knuckle under, I suspect.  

Doubt anything dramatic will happen. County will get find and eventually she will knuckle under or be recalled or something. Feds aren't looking to get their shit pushed in again like at Bundy Ranch

Would this qualify as civil disobedience?  I thought that only applied to citizens refusing to follow the law, not the state refusing to follow the law.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:41:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Just to clarify she is no longer issuing licenses AT ALL to ANYONE. The reason she is not being recalled is it is a rural county in KY. Nobody cares about the 3 gay couples in the county or their agenda.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:41:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

At least she picked a hill instead of saying this is not the fight, now that next one that is the fight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't know how I feel about this.  I'm glad someone is growing a spine, I'm just not sure this is the hill to die on.

At least she picked a hill instead of saying this is not the fight, now that next one that is the fight.

There's truth in that for sure.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:41:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just to clarify she is no longer issuing licenses AT ALL to ANYONE. The reason she is not being recalled is it is a rural county in KY. Nobody cares about the 3 gay couples in the county or their agenda.
View Quote

Sounds like equality to me.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:41:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote

Amen to that!… and I’d love to see some more of this kind of dissent
coming out of the states.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:42:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If I were going for a carry permit, and county a was being an asshole about it and the adjacent county was no problem, I'd be heading directly there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good.

So if your state was shall-issue and your county refused to issue you a CCW, you'd just shrug and go to the next county?  
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:42:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Please point out where in the Bill of Rights you are guaranteed the "right to Marry".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So if the sheriff decided not to issue carry permits because of his strong personal belief, you're okay with that?

Please point out where in the Bill of Rights you are guaranteed the "right to Marry".

The Bill of Rights is not an enumeration of our rights.  It is an enumeration of restrictions upon the government.  It does not represent the sum total of our rights.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:42:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Get over it or quit.

Stop the attention whoring.
View Quote

MAKE THE CAKE OR ELSE!!!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:43:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

While I don't agree that using "God's authority" as the reason for your actions, she could simply say she has strong personal convictions and will not follow through with the order.  But with that aside, I applaud her for standing up to these assholes.
View Quote

If she had strong personal convictions, she would quit her job.  

It is her job to either issues licenses iaw the law, or quit if she if her ethics make her unable to fulfill her responsibilities.

Hopefully the fire her ass soon enough.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:43:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I just want to say that watching the mental twists of people who purport to be conservative in order to justify destroying the rule of law is hilarious and a bit disturbing.
View Quote

...whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:46:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I just want to say that watching the mental twists of people who purport to be conservative in order to justify destroying the rule of law is hilarious and a bit disturbing.
View Quote

Rule of law is already dead. Get with the times.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:47:01 AM EDT
[#14]
So let's say I'm elected County Court Clerk and one of my functions is to renew and issue business licenses.  And let's say I am a good god-fearing christian at the time of my election.

Fast forward 6 months and I convert to islam.  I then have the personal belief that you cannot consume pork. Some guy wants to open a BBQ restaurant but I refuse to give him a business license.  Please tell me how that would differ from this situation.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:47:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:48:12 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Whether or not you agree with her, you have to agree with what she's representing.  If she can be forced to go against her religious beliefs, then what is freedom of religion?  At that point, all it is is "Yes, you have freedom of religion, as long as we agree with you."

Similarly - "yes, you have the right to keep and bear arms, but no one needs an assault weapon."
View Quote

she isn't being forced to do shit

she can either perform her job function or find another job.

The same choice I have when my boss asks me to do something I don't want to do.

Her religious beliefs don't change the requirements for a job.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:48:15 AM EDT
[#17]

Kentucky clerk and her deputies who won't issue marriage licenses called to federal hearing Thursday - @AP

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:49:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So let's say I'm elected County Court Clerk and one of my functions is to renew and issue business licenses.  And let's say I am a good god-fearing christian at the time of my election.

Fast forward 6 months and I convert to islam.  I then have the personal belief that you cannot consume pork. Some guy wants to open a BBQ restaurant but I refuse to give him a business license.  Please tell me how that would differ from this situation.
View Quote

Opening a business is not a religious ceremony.  A marriage ceremony is.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:49:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

So if your state was shall-issue and your county refused to issue you a CCW, you'd just shrug and go to the next county?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good.

Yup.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:49:20 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

No. That's how tyranny moves forward. People roll over and over and over and next thing you know it's too late to make a stand. Fuck that. Stand your ground while you have ground left to stand on!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I fail to understand, if she feels so strongly in her beliefs, why don't she just quit?  Can't have your cake and eat it too.

Why should she quit her job because a couple of lunatics that no one elected decided to redefine civilization?

Because she is sworn to uphold the law?  If the law is changed (and it has been) then she needs to follow it or quit in protest.

No. That's how tyranny moves forward. People roll over and over and over and next thing you know it's too late to make a stand. Fuck that. Stand your ground while you have ground left to stand on!

She isn't standing her ground, she's standing in the checkout line and refusing to move to let other people complete their business.

She's a fucking asshole.  

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:49:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Nope.  I am saying if she is truly a Christian woman and this is against her beliefs then she should quit.  Same as a Muslim being hired  as a farm hand on a pig farm and then claiming he can't be forced to do that job due to his religious beliefs.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I fail to understand, if she feels so strongly in her beliefs, why don't she just quit?  Can't have your cake and eat it too.

Why should she quit her job because a couple of lunatics that no one elected decided to redefine civilization?

Because she is not willing to do her job. It really is that simple.  Great she has beliefs but sometimes your beliefs can cost you and the ones who stand up then are truly worth the adoration.

So basically you're saying that religious people can't do some jobs because of their religous beliefs.

An idea which would obviously violate various EEO regulations put forth by the feds.

Nope.  I am saying if she is truly a Christian woman and this is against her beliefs then she should quit.  Same as a Muslim being hired  as a farm hand on a pig farm and then claiming he can't be forced to do that job due to his religious beliefs.  

More like a muslim being hired on at a dairy farm and then farmer deciding to raise pigs instead because he hates muslims.  

Her job didn't conflict with her religion when she was hired.  Now, the federal government has decided to sanction homosexuality, which is a sin against God.  

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:49:55 AM EDT
[#22]
I would bring my toothbrush and my medication.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:50:27 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

My guess is they will fine the county into submission rather than drag her away in cuffs. But unless she sleeps in the county jail and runs the clerk's office from her cell the feds will get her. The Feds will look at the deputies and say "Okay we're leaving, we'll back tomorrow with an army and warrants for all of you." The deputies will not like the idea of their doors at home popping off the hinges with heavily armored machinegun toting feds looking to haul them in and would knuckle under, I suspect.  

Doubt anything dramatic will happen. County will get fined and eventually she will knuckle under or be recalled or something. Feds aren't looking to get their shit pushed in again like at Bundy Ranch

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They have people for that   http://timothyolyphant.siterubix.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/raylan-badge.jpg

It could get ugly if the Sheriff decides he's on her side and sends a couple deputies down to arrest any of those federal boys trying to interfere.

Remember, this was our great hope after the Sandy Hook shooting when it seemed like gun control was imminent; that the Sheriffs would tell the Feds to go fuck themselves...and they did!

My guess is they will fine the county into submission rather than drag her away in cuffs. But unless she sleeps in the county jail and runs the clerk's office from her cell the feds will get her. The Feds will look at the deputies and say "Okay we're leaving, we'll back tomorrow with an army and warrants for all of you." The deputies will not like the idea of their doors at home popping off the hinges with heavily armored machinegun toting feds looking to haul them in and would knuckle under, I suspect.  

Doubt anything dramatic will happen. County will get fined and eventually she will knuckle under or be recalled or something. Feds aren't looking to get their shit pushed in again like at Bundy Ranch

Yeah, I am more than a little disturbed by the the enthusiasm with which you're envisioning the Feds dropping the hammer on the lowest form of elected official, and reprisals against sheriff's deputies, and for what? Disobeying a lunatic ruling by a bunch of goddamn traitors who are trying to redefine all of human history? Bring up Obamacare and you guys are grabbing up your pitchforks. Mention gay marriage and you're envisioning Federal raids and squads of armed enforcers rounding up all who dare oppose.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:52:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Good for her. It has to start somewhere. Let it be here.

We're not going to be able to vote ourselves out of this headlong slide into the Marxist cesspool. People have to start doing something about it. State and local officials refusing to enforce idiotic legislation rammed up our asses by the lunatics in D.C. needs to become SOP.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:52:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would think opening a restaurant serving pork would be VERY religious in the eyes of a muslim court clerk issuing business licenses.

and plenty of atheist are married and have been married in non-religious ceremonies.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:53:49 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Would this qualify as civil disobedience?  I thought that only applied to citizens refusing to follow the law, not the state refusing to follow the law.
View Quote

I think so,  she just happens to be employed by the state, she's still a citizen.

She's similar to those idiots who block freeways to "protest" and wonder why people want to fucking kill them.

Their right to protest shouldn't impede my rights, whether to travel or to get a license I shouldn't even need in the first place.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:53:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:54:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:55:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
She works for the government. It's not her place to make these decisions. Fire her and put someone who will do the job in her place.

Now if she was a private business owner or religious institution making the decision not to serve them, I have no problem with that.
View Quote

This.

How is she not fired? lol
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:56:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
God bless this woman.  She has principals and bigger balls than any of our other so called "conservatives".
View Quote

I agree. If more people had a set of balls like this lady does, maybe all of these crazy groups of idiots wouldn't have free rain to do whatever they want and get away with it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:58:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:58:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:58:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:59:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:00:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
She needs to be recalled.
View Quote

This is the proper action.

Just like Obama refusing to enforce immigration laws.
If a public servant refuses to perform their duties, or perform actions without authority, they should be recalled.
Same with a Sherriff who refuses to issue CCW or sign NFA forms.

Everything else is ineffective gnashing of teeth.

Trying to compel her to take action she already refuses to do or fining her or imprisoning her for failing to perform her stipulated duties illustrates the real agenda.
Forced embracing of a political agenda a person does not believe in.
They want to make an example of anyone who doesn't embrace the "correct" worldview.

Fines or imprisonment in this case make her a political prisoner a la the Soviet Union and other totalitarian regimes.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:00:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

MAKE THE CAKE OR ELSE!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get over it or quit.

MAKE THE CAKE OR ELSE!!!

The baker isn't a public servant / gov employee. Totally different case. That was a total injustice.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:01:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Bitch needs to do her damn job... Or find a new one
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:03:01 PM EDT
[#38]
This is a weird hill to die on.

She's either going to be removed from office, or jailed after being held in contempt. There is no way in hell local or state LE are going to square off with the feds over something as dumb and inconsequential as marriage licenses. This will die with a whimper. Just sayin'.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:03:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
elected official  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
She works for the government. It's not her place to make these decisions. Fire her and put someone who will do the job in her place.

Now if she was a private business owner or religious institution making the decision not to serve them, I have no problem with that.

This.

How is she not fired? lol
elected official  

Moreover the people that elected her are okay with her stance...or else there would be clamor to have a recall vote.

The POTUS has set this precedent over the past 6 years and everyone on the left has been okay with it...well the pendulum is starting to swing the other way and the left better get used to a new bunch of conservatives that are going to play the game acording the the rules the left has used.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:03:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
So if the sheriff decided not to issue carry permits because of his strong personal belief, you're okay with that?
View Quote

The flip side of that coin is.....So if they decide guns are outlawed, you're okay with that?  You're okay with any and ALL laws that "they" pass and the SC says it's law?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:05:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Exactly. The ones getting lawyers and protesting should just go somewhere else to get married...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get over it or quit.

Exactly. The ones getting lawyers and protesting should just go somewhere else to get married...

Oh, I don't think the SC got it right, but why not give the cop that was answering email a pass too? Oh, some gov need to obey laws but some don't? How do we pick and choose?

I actually agree with your argument on many levels, but at the end of the day, this is a done deal and you can whine all you want, but abortion is legal too amazingly. We are not always going to like it. My hill will be what impacts me directly, like gun control. No guns leave my house.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:05:38 PM EDT
[#42]
As I said in the last thread, GOOD for her.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:06:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

She's not doing the job she was elected to perform.  In most career fields that gets you fired.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
While I don't agree that using "God's authority" as the reason for your actions, she could simply say she has strong personal convictions and will not follow through with the order.  But with that aside, I applaud her for standing up to these assholes.

She is refusing to issue licenses to ANYBODY, not just gay couples.

She's not doing the job she was elected to perform.  In most career fields that gets you fired.

....and you'd be OK with law enforcement coming to take your ar15's because someone decides they should be........they're only doing their sworn duty.........to uphold the law.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:06:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:07:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:09:07 PM EDT
[#46]
I am behind her 100%. With that being said I hate to see good people chewed up by our
illegal laws forced on us by an kangaroo court...It is getting closer and closer to another 1776

in this country. I for one am not looking forward to it but neither were the founding fathers.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:09:10 PM EDT
[#47]
She should be stoned to death for having not been a virgin for the last three of her four marriages, possibly for all four. Deuteronomy 22:13-21
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:09:36 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

No enthusiasm, just saying, no cop is losing their free dental (and freedom and maybe their life) over gay marriage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I am more than a little disturbed by the the enthusiasm with which you're envisioning the Feds dropping the hammer on the lowest form of elected official, and reprisals against sheriff's deputies, and for what? Disobeying a lunatic ruling by a bunch of goddamn traitors who are trying to redefine all of human history? Bring up Obamacare and you guys are grabbing up your pitchforks. Mention gay marriage and you're envisioning Federal raids and squads of armed enforcers rounding up all who dare oppose.

No enthusiasm, just saying, no cop is losing their free dental (and freedom and maybe their life) over gay marriage.

You got me there.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:09:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
but but what if it was a muslim in that position? Lol butt hurt.
View Quote

Yep there are a lot of hypocrites here who's basic motivation is they enjoy hating other people.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:12:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would have thought that a wedding being a religious ceremony would only be true if it were being held in a church of some denomination. Getting married at the courthouse isn't a religious ceremony, is it?
Page / 47
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top